Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little bit disappointed with the direction this franchise is going. Witches, magic and werewolves are contrary to what the RE series was about, i.e. horror and tension stemming from creatures, which origins could be scientifically explained. It's always been about fighting overcoming dangers and monsters that came about as a result of some sort of virus, those fantasy elements that are going to be introduced in RE8 conflict with the fundamentals of the series as far as the setting goes. I'm sure it's going to be a decent game, perhaps even a decent horror game. I like what they have shown so far, the atmosphere looks amazing, the environments are gorgeous. However, I don't understand (besides the obvious financial reasons) why they feel the need to make it a RE game, considering how far it deviates from what made RE, RE. RE8 doesn't look like a RE game.
Have you played any RE game?

He obviously has since what he said is true for the most part.
Hm, I guess that makes two people then.
:updatedmytxt:

Ash

Arcane
Take fallout, for instance. every mutation of the wasteland is semi-believable.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Yes, don't play stupid.

In biology, evolution is the change in the characteristics of a species over several generations and relies on the process of natural selection. The theory of evolution is based on the idea that all species? are related and gradually change over time.

The fact that the FO/RE Classic creatures merely change some characteristics (namely size), but still belong to the same specie, is a lot more believable (but still not hard science, hence semi-believable) because it doesn't don't defy all reason as in, say, Resident Evil 5 wherein a biologically normal dude injects himself and within less than a minute is a sea creature the size of a freighter ship. Not only is that morphing from one species to another, but also at a completely unbelievable transformation rate and magnitude. Where does all that mass and energy come from?

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Take fallout, for instance. every mutation of the wasteland is semi-believable.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Yes, don't play stupid.

In biology, evolution is the change in the characteristics of a species over several generations and relies on the process of natural selection. The theory of evolution is based on the idea that all species? are related and gradually change over time.

The fact that the FO/RE Classic creatures merely change some characteristics (namely size), but still belong to the same specie, is a lot more believable (but still not hard science, hence semi-believable) because it doesn't don't defy all reason as in, say, Resident Evil 5 wherein a biologically normal dude injects himself and within less than a minute is a sea creature the size of a freighter ship. Not only is that morphing from one species to another, but also at a completely unbelievable transformation rate and magnitude. Where does all that mass and energy come from?

Are you pretending to be retarded right now? The monsters in RE were the result of an engineered product that was specifically designed to change them. Most of the mutants in FO supposedly became that way just from radiation exposure. It's not even remotely comparable.

The fact that the FO/RE Classic creatures merely change some characteristics (namely size), but still belong to the same specie, is a lot more believable (but still not hard science, hence semi-believable) because it doesn't don't defy all reason

It's only semi-believable if you are scientifically ignorant enough to be unaware of Galileo's square-cube law and its ramifications. Super-sized scorpions and spiders are utterly absurd and not remotely believable at all.

Ash

Arcane
Perhaps. Yet it's only asking you to suspend your disbelief of that one defiance, or just in general to a lesser degree. It's for the most part one characteristic change, and no species morphing over the course of seconds. Modern RE is asking you to ignore constant weird offenses while pretending the shit it is showing you is supposed to be somehow cool. Superhuman Wesker, boulder punching, or super whale man aren't cooler than giant spiders and scorpions.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Superhuman Wesker, boulder punching, or super whale man aren't cooler than giant spiders and scorpions.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
RE4 was a seminal game. Why? It was the first game that:

1. Removed the fear factor in the horror game genre basically killing the main reason of the genre existence (prove me wrong).

2. Introduced the OTS perpective. The most idiotic perspective ever seen in games, every other perspective has more sense than that (prove me wrong).

3. Introduced the QTE. The most idiotic mechanics ever seen in games. The last time it was seen was at the beginning of the '80s (in videodisk games) and never seen again, for a reason. (prove me wrong)

Väderhatt

Novice
Perhaps. Yet it's only asking you to suspend your disbelief of that one defiance, or just in general to a lesser degree. It's for the most part one characteristic change, and no species morphing over the course of seconds. Modern RE is asking you to ignore constant weird offenses while pretending the shit it is showing you is supposed to be somehow cool. Superhuman Wesker, boulder punching, or super whale man aren't cooler than giant spiders and scorpions.
They really went full Marvel with RE5, which was the worst direction possible (Chris, Wesker and Jill being parody of themselves, but hey! Superheroes = esay money).
Such a waste... Despite its flaws, I was actually surprised by RE7 sobriety, and enjoyed it. I expect RE8 to be in the same vein.

Ash

Arcane
RE7 was indeed more tame and slightly back to the roots overall, but just so bland and boring unfortunately.

Raskens

Learned
Patron
RE4 was a seminal game. Why? It was the first game that:

1. Removed the fear factor in the horror game genre basically killing the main reason of the genre existence (prove me wrong).

2. Introduced the OTS perpective. The most idiotic perspective ever seen in games, every other perspective has more sense than that (prove me wrong).

3. Introduced the QTE. The most idiotic mechanics ever seen in games. The last time it was seen was at the beginning of the '80s (in videodisk games) and never seen again, for a reason. (prove me wrong)

It also removed the exploration/branching paths from the series. I still enjoyed the game, and it's probably ranked somewhere in the middle for me.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Join Resident Evil Village Director Morimasa Sato, Art Director Tomonori Takano, and Producer Peter Fabiano as they discuss how they’re depicting the concept of fear to realise survival horror as it’s never been seen before in the upcoming eighth installment of the legendary Resident Evil series.

Looks really good imo

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little bit disappointed with the direction this franchise is going. Witches, magic and werewolves are contrary to what the RE series was about
Hey JDR13, since you post more than once every 3 weeks, maybe you can answer. Has any of that stuff, or anything like it really, actually been shown?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I can't believe the idiots on this board are arguing the believability of Resident Evil and Fallout. FML, the stupidity emanating from the Cuckdex... SomethingAwful really needed to make a Weekend Web about this place like it did for NMA.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little bit disappointed with the direction this franchise is going. Witches, magic and werewolves are contrary to what the RE series was about
Hey JDR13, since you post more than once every 3 weeks, maybe you can answer. Has any of that stuff, or anything like it really, actually been shown?

Depends how you choose to interpret what's been shown. In one of the gameplay teasers, there are creatures that could pass for werewolves, so of course all the YouTube jockeys started screaming werewolves. Personally, I think it'll end up being explained by fictional science as usual.

There might be more to it than that, but I'm not real big on watching preview material when it comes to this series tbh.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Depends how you choose to interpret what's been shown. In one of the gameplay teasers, there are creatures that could pass for werewolves, so of course all the YouTube jockeys started screaming werewolves. Personally, I think it'll end up being explained by fictional science as usual.
There might be more to it than that, but I'm not real big on watching preview material when it comes to this series tbh.
Cool, so there's one BOW with a snout and now the Codex thinks it's fucking Sword of Shanarra. :lol:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Are you pretending to be retarded right now? The monsters in RE were the result of an engineered product that was specifically designed to change them. Most of the mutants in FO supposedly became that way just from radiation exposure. It's not even remotely comparable.
I didn't intend to post in a thread about retarded weeaboo slanty-eyed bullshit game, but then I did catch some Fallout reference and was triggered. So...

No, mutation in Fallout didn't come because of just radiation. It's because of FEV - a virus accidentally discovered while trying to find a cure for a New Plague, a world-wide pandemic. Virus, instead of just combating the virus in creatures, started to change them, and often in better ways. This gave way to the Supersoldier program, designed to create the perfect soldier, which are now known as supermutants.

Creatures, subjected to FEV start to change - rapidly, but not instantly. Changes are irreversible and end result greatly depends on the radiation level of the creature subjected to virus: the less radiated subject is the better is his state after transformation.

The mutation itself are not over the top at all. Ghouls have extremely slow metabolism, allowing them to live for centuries, but they do look like shit with almost no regeneration at all. Ghoulification requires the presence of FEV and high doses of radiation around - note that Necropolis was not to far from the The Glow, where FEV was originally researched and after the bombing, which caused the virus to leak. Ignore stupid Shittesda retcons with ghouls everywhere.

Supermutants have excessive muscle growth, high regeneration, high endurance, but are sterile (which was a fatal mistake in the eyes of the Master, but from the point of pre-war researchers was even necessary), and if original subject was highly irradiated the end result would be as retarded as average redditor. Perfect soldiers.

Centaurs are abominations created by Master by throwing several specimens in the FEV tanks.

Small injections of FEV into humans made psykers possible (yes, PSI is canon since Fallout 1, but PSI powers almost never mentioned in any Fallout game Underrail)

First two Fallout games took place in California, where the most important FEV labs were located (Mariposa and The Glow), since why we see mutants roaming the desert.

So yeah, it's not a hard sci-fi at any rate, but it's believable and follows particular internal logic. It's just, you know, like Tim Cain and co actually cared about the believeability and coherency of Fallout universe, not just throwing some "cool" shit into the mix.

Ash

Arcane
I can't believe the idiots on this board are arguing the believability of Resident Evil and Fallout. FML, the stupidity emanating from the Cuckdex... SomethingAwful really needed to make a Weekend Web about this place like it did for NMA.

So you're saying FO and classic RE were in no way whatsoever designed to be believable and immersive? They didn't care whatsoever whether the player was taken out of the game, nor how many times? Dumbfuck tag well earned. All that developer effort for naught in your case.

May I suggest you fuck off back to SomethingAwful and create that weekend web yourself. One less retard posting here.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
"Wolfmen" would at least be more in proportion to old RE than creatures in later games. Depends on the circumstances of their origin. Hunters can be thought of as lizardmen in a way, so if it's like that but canine. "Witches" are a harder sell, to me. Although the RE name has ceased to have a meaningful definition a long time ago, so I'm not really concerned about any of this.

JDR13

Arcane
I didn't intend to post in a thread about retarded weeaboo slanty-eyed bullshit game, but then I did catch some Fallout reference and was triggered. So...

No, mutation in Fallout didn't come because of just radiation. It's because of FEV - a virus accidentally discovered while trying to find a cure for a New Plague, a world-wide pandemic. Virus, instead of just combating the virus in creatures, started to change them, and often in better ways. This gave way to the Supersoldier program, designed to create the perfect soldier, which are now known as supermutants.

Creatures, subjected to FEV start to change - rapidly, but not instantly. Changes are irreversible and end result greatly depends on the radiation level of the creature subjected to virus: the less radiated subject is the better is his state after transformation.

The mutation itself are not over the top at all. Ghouls have extremely slow metabolism, allowing them to live for centuries, but they do look like shit with almost no regeneration at all. Ghoulification requires the presence of FEV and high doses of radiation around - note that Necropolis was not to far from the The Glow, where FEV was originally researched and after the bombing, which caused the virus to leak. Ignore stupid Shittesda retcons with ghouls everywhere.

Supermutants have excessive muscle growth, high regeneration, high endurance, but are sterile (which was a fatal mistake in the eyes of the Master, but from the point of pre-war researchers was even necessary), and if original subject was highly irradiated the end result would be as retarded as average redditor. Perfect soldiers.

Centaurs are abominations created by Master by throwing several specimens in the FEV tanks.

Small injections of FEV into humans made psykers possible (yes, PSI is canon since Fallout 1, but PSI powers almost never mentioned in any Fallout game Underrail)

First two Fallout games took place in California, where the most important FEV labs were located (Mariposa and The Glow), since why we see mutants roaming the desert.

So yeah, it's not a hard sci-fi at any rate, but it's believable and follows particular internal logic. It's just, you know, like Tim Cain and co actually cared about the believeability and coherency of Fallout universe, not just throwing some "cool" shit into the mix.

Right, I'm quite familiar with Fallout since I've played the games. Thing is, the FEV explanation only pertains to certain mutants. It doesn't explain creatures like radscorpions, mirelurks, etc.

We're supposed to believe those "evolved" in less than a hundred years due to radiation and pollution.
:retarded:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It doesn't explain creatures like radscorpions, mirelurks, etc.
Ignore stupid Shittesda retcons

4566e801012294aa7a066081df5feb9a.jpg

Entrance to West-Tek research facility. Can't see why FEV might be leaking into the atmosphere outta there...

The West Tek research facility was destroyed in the nuclear holocaust of 2077. During the Great War the surface of the installation took a direct hit from a nuclear warhead which left a gaping hole exposing the subterranean installation, shattering the FEV containment tanks and releasing the irradiated virus into the atmosphere.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Looks like someone is making up their own version of Fallout lore
Yeah. Nope, though.

The West Tek research facility was destroyed in the nuclear holocaust of 2077. During the Great War the surface of the installation took a direct hit from a nuclear warhead which left a gaping hole exposing the subterranean installation, shattering the FEV containment tanks and releasing the irradiated virus into the atmosphere.

Deathclaws:
Originally engineered before the Great War by the U.S. government as a cheap replacement for human troops during combat operations, deathclaws were derived from a mixed animal stock, primarily the popular Jackson's Chameleon.

Origin of scorpos is even commented by Seth in Fallout 1:
And how such a large creature can even be possible by natural evolution, or even radiation induced mutation is beyond me.

Molerats:
Mole rats have sharp claws and even sharper tusks that they use to tear great chunks of flesh from their prey. Mole rats are either huge rats or the result of gene-splicing Kodiak bears with maladjusted lab rats.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Creatures, subjected to FEV start to change - rapidly, but not instantly. Changes are irreversible

Actually in the main quest of Fallout 4 you are tasked with acquiring an FEV antidote and use it on a Super Mutant. Effects take about 1 week, then he's healed back into a normal human.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom