Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Next Shadowrun crpg will most likely come from...

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
...Inxile

We all know Microsoft own the video game right of Shadowrun, and since Bethesda is probably busy with TES6 and Starfield, while Obsidians is busy with their Skyrim clone and maybe the Outer World 2 (or god forbid, a new Fallout title), that leaves Inxile as the most likely candidate.

What would a Shadowrun crpg made by Brian Fargo be like? Will it be isometric like Wasteland 3 or the Harebrained Schemes's games? Or cinematic like cyberpunk 2077??

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fargo's interested in making multiplayer action games so I guess it would be like that Shadowrun game Microsoft published way back when.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Fargo's interested in making multiplayer action games so I guess it would be like that Shadowrun game Microsoft published way back when.
iirc Phil Spencer from Microsoft said in this interview that Shadowrun should have been a rpg, so there is still hope...

After Wasteland 3, I'm willing to give Inxile the benefit of the doubt if they are truly developing a Shadowrun title. What kind of RPG would it be? I wouldn't be surprised if it has some multiplayer elements like co-op though, since Wasteland 3 already have them.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Considering that inXile is still smaller than Obsidian, I doubt they will work on two AAA RPGs simultaneously. Also there's a possibility that inXile will be solely focused on Chad and Jason's AAA RPG.

So unless they bulk up inXile further so they can have two big teams, I'd guess the other project they will work on is a smaller game.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Considering that inXile is still smaller than Obsidian, I doubt they will work on two AAA RPGs simultaneously. Also there's a possibility that inXile will be solely focused on Chad and Jason's AAA RPG.

So unless they bulk up inXile further so they can have two big teams, I'd guess the other project they will work on is a smaller game.

Well, if that AAA RPG is indeed a Shadowrun title, I guess it will be more akin to cyberpunk 2077 rather than isometric then.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Well, if that AAA RPG is indeed a Shadowrun title, I guess it will be more akin to cyberpunk 2077 rather than isometric then.

It's a new IP. And the image they showed with job postings for that looks fantasy.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

It's a new IP. And the image they showed with job postings for that looks fantasy.

That's too bad. As if we don't have enough fantasy rpg already...

Gastrick

Cipher
They've owned the shadowrun IP for a while, if they make a shadowrun game at all it probably won't be next year or the year after that, but in 5 to 10 years.
The scenario I see happening is that they have Obsidian make a Cyberpunk 2077 ripoff using their own table-top cyberpunk franchise, shadowrun. That's only if cyberpunk 2077 becomes successful and doesn't crash and burn.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It could either be an isometric turn-based shadowrun based on wasteland 3 from inxile, or a first person shadowrun based on the outer worlds from obsidian.

V_K

Arcane
Well, Shadowrun has always been rather unlucky when it comes to video game adaptations, so there's nothing new here. It's got two good games, even if one of them is on consoles, and that already can be considered a good run compared to something like e.g. Megatraveller.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
All considering, Shadowrun is still a respectable IP, since, so far, no modern AAA studio has meddled with it.

Yoomazir

Educated
No love for Harebrained Schemes? Not that their Shadowrun games were perfect, but they did the job and each sequel was an improvement over it's predecessor.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

So... another Skyrim clone, just like Obsidian's Avowed? Or will it actually be isometric?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So... another Skyrim clone, just like Obsidian's Avowed? Or will it actually be isometric?

Supposedly first-person action.

We don't know what WL3 team will be working beyond its DLCs, but we know that inXile's other team has been working on an unannounced AAA RPG.

Everything we know about it I think.
  • Singleplayer, first-person, action, open-world.
  • They say it's "something brand new", suggests a new IP. The image seems fantasy-ish.
  • Creative Director is Chad Moore, ex-Troika and ex-Carbine. He joined inXile on January last year. Jason Anderson is Principal Designer apparently, not director as previously known.
  • They've been hiring a number of developers who worked at other AAA studios, notably ex-Blizzard producer Ray Cobo.

People think it looks similar to Numenera. (I imagine it could be something like fantastical space thing, similar to Spelljammer or WildStar, Chad and many of the team's previous game.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom