Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to make a Harry Potter IP RPG with what looks like real effort. There are few assured money-makers out there, and this is one of them.

If it's late 1800-s, Martini Henry is better than any gay magic.

Big V's plan for world domination was an army of like 20 people. I think the HP universe doesn't really have real-world practicalities such as standing armies, firearms that are actually used, or people with thinking organs in their skulls.

Or rules of magic that make sense. Casting a spell is literally "move the wand in the proper way + chant the spell correctly". Literally any retard can cast the Killing Curse. No specific levels of magical powers required.

There's a passage in the fourth book that says the exact opposite:

“Avada Kedavra’s a curse that needs a powerful bit of magic behind it - you could all get your wands out now and point them at me and say the words, and I doubt I’d get so much as a nosebleed.

I don't disagree that the rules of magic don't make any sense (or rather Rowling never wrote those rules down) and magic's just a plot device, but the killing curse isn't open to everyone

So does powerful magic mean something inherent in the caster, or just experience?

Fuck it, I'll get an answer from the damned wiki.

The curse requires great skill, power, and intent in order to be performed correctly. In 1994, Barty Crouch, Jnr, disguised as Alastor Moody, claimed that if all of the students before him were to get out their wands and perform it on him at one time, he would likely be completely unaffected as he believed they all lacked the necessary power needed to cast the spell. However, in 1997, Severus Snape also stated that to cast Unforgivable Curses one needed both nerve and ability. It is possible to cast the curse nonverbally, as Bellatrix killed a fox without an incantation. However, the lack of the incantation may have been for suspense. Whether this is true or not in Bellatrix's case is unknown.[14] However, during his duel with Dumbledore, Voldemort used this spell several times without an incantation. Intense concentration is likely required to cast the Killing Curse, which is probably why Death Eaters don't use it as their primary offensive spell (although Thorfinn Rowle did launch the curse repeatedly all over the place during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower).

So like all of JK Rowling's magic, it's dumbfuck and inconsistent as hell. Nevermind, just get a fucking gun like practical people.

Gastrick

Cipher
he's a pureblooded wizard so he's got magic+++

I'm not joking. That's the actual explanation. JK Rowling was always an anti-racist racist.
Not racist, just genetics 101. People with pure blood are going to better adapted to their environment.

Terra

Cipher
https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/24/2...rts-legacy-warner-bros-jk-rowling-transphobia

*some tranny bullshit...*

I will not be buying Hogwarts Legacy — not because I think my own decision to boycott it will bring Rowling’s empire of transphobia crashing down around her, but because I need to take a stand. Not buying a video game is such an easy instance of direct action to take. I know other trans people will stand with me, and I know some allies will stand with me. I also understand that some won’t.
Huh, Harry Potter and the Empire of Transphobia has a nice ring to it. I'd buy it.

Delterius

Arcane
he's a pureblooded wizard so he's got magic+++

I'm not joking. That's the actual explanation. JK Rowling was always an anti-racist racist.
Not racist, just genetics 101. People with pure blood are going to better adapted to their environment.
which is why the wizards constantly fuck their sisters and cousins, to keep their bloodlines pure

we are after all talking about a society that used to shit wherever instead of using plumbing, so they clearly know whats best

genetics 101

Gastrick

Cipher
which is why the wizards constantly fuck their sisters and cousins, to keep their bloodlines pure

we are after all talking about a society that used to shit wherever instead of using plumbing, so they clearly know whats best

genetics 101
I didn't know that they were incestuous as well, learning Harry Potter lore isn't one of my interests. Not so into that.
Pajeet knows what's best, just look at their high living standards, coding ability and superiority to Pakistan.

Sarathiour

Cipher
So how in the fuck could Draco Malfoy pull it off? He didn't even WANT to kill Dumbledore, so no killing intent can explain this.

My headcanon theory is that Dumbledore died from heart failure from the shock of being discovered jerking off in the middle of the night with the elder stick up in his ass.

Malefoy was so traumatized he refused to talk about it with anyone.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to make a Harry Potter IP RPG with what looks like real effort. There are few assured money-makers out there, and this is one of them.

If it's late 1800-s, Martini Henry is better than any gay magic.

Big V's plan for world domination was an army of like 20 people. I think the HP universe doesn't really have real-world practicalities such as standing armies, firearms that are actually used, or people with thinking organs in their skulls.

Or rules of magic that make sense. Casting a spell is literally "move the wand in the proper way + chant the spell correctly". Literally any retard can cast the Killing Curse. No specific levels of magical powers required.

There's a passage in the fourth book that says the exact opposite:

“Avada Kedavra’s a curse that needs a powerful bit of magic behind it - you could all get your wands out now and point them at me and say the words, and I doubt I’d get so much as a nosebleed.

I don't disagree that the rules of magic don't make any sense (or rather Rowling never wrote those rules down) and magic's just a plot device, but the killing curse isn't open to everyone

So does powerful magic mean something inherent in the caster, or just experience?

Fuck it, I'll get an answer from the damned wiki.

The curse requires great skill, power, and intent in order to be performed correctly. In 1994, Barty Crouch, Jnr, disguised as Alastor Moody, claimed that if all of the students before him were to get out their wands and perform it on him at one time, he would likely be completely unaffected as he believed they all lacked the necessary power needed to cast the spell. However, in 1997, Severus Snape also stated that to cast Unforgivable Curses one needed both nerve and ability. It is possible to cast the curse nonverbally, as Bellatrix killed a fox without an incantation. However, the lack of the incantation may have been for suspense. Whether this is true or not in Bellatrix's case is unknown.[14] However, during his duel with Dumbledore, Voldemort used this spell several times without an incantation. Intense concentration is likely required to cast the Killing Curse, which is probably why Death Eaters don't use it as their primary offensive spell (although Thorfinn Rowle did launch the curse repeatedly all over the place during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower).

So like all of JK Rowling's magic, it's dumbfuck and inconsistent as hell. Nevermind, just get a fucking gun like practical people.

In the books doesn't Harry use a curse on one of the death eaters who had been running Hogwarts and says something like "I guess you do really need to mean it" for it to work. Think Bellitixiisisis (whatever her name was) had said something like that to him before when he tried it on her but failed.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In the books doesn't Harry use a curse on one of the death eaters who had been running Hogwarts and says something like "I guess you do really need to mean it" for it to work. Think Bellitixiisisis (whatever her name was) had said something like that to him before when he tried it on her but failed.
Yes, he tries to Crucio Belatrix and repeatedly fails. She taunts him he doesn't even have the guts to avenge his godfather's murder. Casting an Unforgivable Curse means you are the kind of person who really, really wants someone tortured, mind controlled or killed. It's not a matter of power, but mentality. And that's why they're unforgivable.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Ok, but do we get to have sex with Hermione? Yes/No?
If you really want to...
I specifically asked for Hermione. Buried sexual desires of my 10 year old self won't be quenched by some random anime bimbo.

https://f95zone.to/threads/witch-trainer-final-akabur.763/
You might need to log in to see the page.

There's a newer, expanded version being developed currently. It's called the Silver Mod, or Silver Edition - something along those lines.

ntonystinson

Scholar
Seems a lot of people on this thread are unaware that Severus Snape not Malfoy kills Dumbledore. Btw According to Malfoy's mother when she visits Snape, she voices her suspicion that Voldemort only orders Malfoy to kill Dumbledore because he knows he will "fail" thereby giving him another reason to punish the Malfoy family

From the Half Blood Prince

"Harry tore past Hagrid and his opponent, took aim at Snape’s back, and yelled, “Stupefy!” He missed; the jet of red light soared past Snape’s head; Snape shouted, “Run, Draco!”and turned. Twenty yards apart, he and Harry looked at each other before raising their wands simultaneously. “Cruc —” But Snape parried the curse, knocking Harry backward off his feet before he could complete it; Harry rolled over and scrambled back up again as the huge Death Eater behind him yelled, “Incendio!” Harry heard an explosive bang and a dancing orange light spilled over all of them: Hagrid’s house was on fire. “Fang’s in there, yer evil —!” Hagrid bellowed. “Cruc —” yelled Harry for the second time, aiming for the figure ahead illuminated in the dancing firelight, but Snape blocked the spell again. Harry could see him sneering. “No Unforgivable Curses from you, Potter!” he shouted over the rushing of the flames, Hagrid’s yells, and the wild yelping of the trapped Fang. “You haven’t got the nerve or the ability —” “Incarc —”Harry roared, but Snape deflected the spell with an almost lazy flick of his arm. “Fight back!” Harry screamed at him. “Fight back, you cowardly —” “Coward, did you call me, Potter?” shouted Snape. “Your father would never attack me unless it was four on one, what would you call him, I wonder?” “Stupe —” “Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!” sneered Snape, deflecting the curse once more. “Now come!” he shouted at the huge Death Eater behind Harry. “It is time to be gone, before the Ministry turns up —” “Impedi —” But before he could finish this jinx, excruciating pain hit Harry; he keeled over in the grass. Someone was screaming, he would surely die of this agony, Snape was going to torture him to death or madness — “No!” roared Snape’s voice and the pain stopped as suddenly as it had started; Harry lay curled on the dark grass, clutching his wand and panting; somewhere overhead Snape was shouting, “Have you forgotten our orders? Potter belongs to the Dark Lord — we are to leave him! Go! Go!” And Harry felt the ground shudder under his face as the brother and sister and the enormous Death Eater obeyed, running toward the gates. Harry uttered an inarticulate yell of rage: In that instant, he cared not whether he lived or died. Pushing himself to his feet again, he staggered blindly toward Snape, the man he now hated as much as he hated Voldemort himself — “Sectum —!” Snape flicked his wand and the curse was repelled yet again; but Harry was mere feet away now and he could see Snape’s face clearly at last: He was no longer sneering or jeering; the blazing flames showed a face full of rage. Mustering all his powers of concentration, Harry thought, Levi — “No, Potter!” screamed Snape. There was a loud BANG and Harry was soaring backward, hitting the ground hard again, and this time his wand flew out of his hand. He could hear Hagrid yelling and Fang howling as Snape closed in and looked down on him where he lay, wandless and defenseless as Dumbledore had been. Snape’s pale face, illuminated by the flaming cabin, was suffused with hatred just as it had been before he had cursed Dumbledore. “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them — I, the HalfBlood Prince! And you’d turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you? I don’t think so… no!” Harry had dived for his wand; Snape shot a hex at it and it flew feet away into the darkness and out of sight. “Kill me then,” panted Harry, who felt no fear at all, but only rage and contempt. “Kill me like you killed him, you coward —” “DON’T —” screamed Snape, and his face was suddenly demented, inhuman, as though he was in as much pain as the yelping, howling dog stuck in the burning house behind them —”CALL ME COWARD!”

Harry is clearly a Level1 magic user in this scene while Snape is probably Leveled up to 60

Sarathiour

Cipher
Seems a lot of people on this thread are unaware that Severus Snape not Malfoy kills Dumbledore. Btw According to Malfoy's mother when she visits Snape, she voices her suspicion that Voldemort only orders Malfoy to kill Dumbledore because he knows he will "fail" thereby giving him another reason to punish the Malfoy family

From the Half Blood Prince

"Harry tore past Hagrid and his opponent, took aim at Snape’s back, and yelled, “Stupefy!” He missed; the jet of red light soared past Snape’s head; Snape shouted, “Run, Draco!”and turned. Twenty yards apart, he and Harry looked at each other before raising their wands simultaneously. “Cruc —” But Snape parried the curse, knocking Harry backward off his feet before he could complete it; Harry rolled over and scrambled back up again as the huge Death Eater behind him yelled, “Incendio!” Harry heard an explosive bang and a dancing orange light spilled over all of them: Hagrid’s house was on fire. “Fang’s in there, yer evil —!” Hagrid bellowed. “Cruc —” yelled Harry for the second time, aiming for the figure ahead illuminated in the dancing firelight, but Snape blocked the spell again. Harry could see him sneering. “No Unforgivable Curses from you, Potter!” he shouted over the rushing of the flames, Hagrid’s yells, and the wild yelping of the trapped Fang. “You haven’t got the nerve or the ability —” “Incarc —”Harry roared, but Snape deflected the spell with an almost lazy flick of his arm. “Fight back!” Harry screamed at him. “Fight back, you cowardly —” “Coward, did you call me, Potter?” shouted Snape. “Your father would never attack me unless it was four on one, what would you call him, I wonder?” “Stupe —” “Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!” sneered Snape, deflecting the curse once more. “Now come!” he shouted at the huge Death Eater behind Harry. “It is time to be gone, before the Ministry turns up —” “Impedi —” But before he could finish this jinx, excruciating pain hit Harry; he keeled over in the grass. Someone was screaming, he would surely die of this agony, Snape was going to torture him to death or madness — “No!” roared Snape’s voice and the pain stopped as suddenly as it had started; Harry lay curled on the dark grass, clutching his wand and panting; somewhere overhead Snape was shouting, “Have you forgotten our orders? Potter belongs to the Dark Lord — we are to leave him! Go! Go!” And Harry felt the ground shudder under his face as the brother and sister and the enormous Death Eater obeyed, running toward the gates. Harry uttered an inarticulate yell of rage: In that instant, he cared not whether he lived or died. Pushing himself to his feet again, he staggered blindly toward Snape, the man he now hated as much as he hated Voldemort himself — “Sectum —!” Snape flicked his wand and the curse was repelled yet again; but Harry was mere feet away now and he could see Snape’s face clearly at last: He was no longer sneering or jeering; the blazing flames showed a face full of rage. Mustering all his powers of concentration, Harry thought, Levi — “No, Potter!” screamed Snape. There was a loud BANG and Harry was soaring backward, hitting the ground hard again, and this time his wand flew out of his hand. He could hear Hagrid yelling and Fang howling as Snape closed in and looked down on him where he lay, wandless and defenseless as Dumbledore had been. Snape’s pale face, illuminated by the flaming cabin, was suffused with hatred just as it had been before he had cursed Dumbledore. “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them — I, the HalfBlood Prince! And you’d turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you? I don’t think so… no!” Harry had dived for his wand; Snape shot a hex at it and it flew feet away into the darkness and out of sight. “Kill me then,” panted Harry, who felt no fear at all, but only rage and contempt. “Kill me like you killed him, you coward —” “DON’T —” screamed Snape, and his face was suddenly demented, inhuman, as though he was in as much pain as the yelping, howling dog stuck in the burning house behind them —”CALL ME COWARD!”

Harry is clearly a Level1 magic user in this scene while Snape is probably Leveled up to 60

I was clearly shitposting before, but if i remember right, event go like this :

Malefoy disarm Dumbledore
Snape kills Dumbledore
Voldemort kills Snape to gain control over magic stick of doom
Harry disarm Malefoy
Voldemort realize he's been bamboozled when fighting against harry, who is currently true master of magic stick of doom.

Don't except coherency in HP saga anyway, it was an okay read when is was a teenager i guess, but it won't go further than that.

Avarize

Magister
HP was okay books 1-2, peaked in 3-5, downhill in 6 and utter trash in 7. Anything to do with the last book should be ignored, including messiah Harry.

thesecret1

Arcane
HP was okay books 1-2, peaked in 3-5, downhill in 6 and utter trash in 7. Anything to do with the last book should be ignored, including messiah Harry.
I'd say the decline was already in the fifth. Always preffered the first two because I preffer the fairy tale tone of them to the drama of the latter, but they were all quite solid. Then it all kind of falls apart and becomes an edgefest

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yes, he tries to Crucio Belatrix and repeatedly fails. She taunts him he doesn't even have the guts to avenge his godfather's murder. Casting an Unforgivable Curse means you are the kind of person who really, really wants someone tortured, mind controlled or killed. It's not a matter of power, but mentality. And that's why they're unforgivable.
Iirc though, by the last book all the protags start using the mind control (imperius?) curse with massive success, both on wizards and nonwizards. And I think they never get called out on it or held accountable. Needs must I suppose, but still.

(Also the best HP is methods of rationality)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Iirc though, by the last book all the protags start using the mind control (imperius?) curse with massive success, both on wizards and nonwizards. And I think they never get called out on it or held accountable. Needs must I suppose, but still.

Perhaps the protags using the imperius with success was to show how they've 'matured' ("look how badass they are, using forbidden spell, whoooo!")

I don't think HP and gang ever get called for most of what they do in the books

methods of rationality

I remember reading the start (maybe the first few paragraphs), cringing, thinking "fuck it's nothing like HP", closing the tab and never looking back

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom