Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
so i got it, and it's pretty good. i haven't played mafia since the original in 2002 on pc. i barely remembered any of it, except that damn race level, and i had to turn the stupid racing level down to easy to get through it, because fuck playing that 50 times in a row. i'd say it's worth it if you want a linear mafia story, but wait for a sale if a few months if you're on the fence

Last edited:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I guess by todays standards game is hard if there are regurarly parts you have to try scene more than once. Airport I don't remember being hard at all, but sure I might have had to try it more than one or two times. One thing I know remember was the whore mission in the hotel, where there was sawed-off shotgun guy who would kill me at least a couple of times.

Which makes me think I'm sure they won't keep that mission title, since it was literally "The Whore". :eek:
Well, I was right, They kept all the mission titles intact, except The Whore and the later part of the mission which was The Priest. New title is now The Saint and the Sinner.
:M

Lemming42

Arcane
Crazy that I'd want to check out a remake of one of my favourite games, I know.

I also didn't say it was shit, I said the story was better in a couple ways but worse in most ways, and that the levels have been changed to be more action-packed and ludicrous which is mostly to the detriment of the game. You could probably translate that to "it's shit", I suppose.

Quillon

Arcane
watched a bit of it just now, noticed he can use both hands for shooting; they had a specific excuse for that for lincoln clay that he had marine training or something, guess nu-tommy is ambidex or something :P

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Crazy that I'd want to check out a remake of one of my favourite games, I know.

"Check out" does not equate to watching the entire thing, dude. I check out lots of games before buying them, but watching someone else play the entire thing? Insanity if you ask me, but hey... everyone's different.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's a remake of a game that I know the entire story of off by heart, and it was interesting to watch how scenes, characters and lines were changed and reinterpreted, even if I disagreed with the majority of the changes (other than Sarah, Salvatore and the occasional good line of additional dialogue).

If someone remade Fallout 1 in its entirety, you know you'd play through the whole thing, regardless or whether or not you found yourself approving of the re-imaginings and changes that had been made.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
If someone remade Fallout 1 in its entirety, you know you'd play through the whole thing, regardless or whether or not you found yourself approving of the re-imaginings and changes that had been made.
If Shittesda or somebody else would remake Fallout 1 in F4 engine I'll better slice my veins and drink my own blood, dying from blood loss while keeping all my blood inside of me than even look at such abomination.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yes, I would play through the whole thing. Indeed.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yes, I would play through the whole thing. Indeed.

Notice I commented on the story and level design, which I can do given that I watched all the cutscenes and saw how the levels were laid out. I didn't say much about how the combat and driving actually feel to play, because I don't know (and don't really care, because my main interest in the remake was always how they'd re-tell the story).

I don't really get why you're having a go at me for offering my opinion about what I saw of the game, when I even gave a clear disclaimer that I watched it rather than played it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I'm playing it and I'm positively chuffed. Sure it's basically an interactive movie but it's so completely, wonderfully devoid of all the currentyear bullshit it melts my heart. Just driving my convertible with my buddies, listening to Luis Armstrong, busting balls, smashing cars, shooting punks in the head. No multiplayer, no MTX, no 500 collectibles to hooover up all over the map, no hamfisted references to slavery on every corner, no powerful 80 pound women throwing burly bangers left and right like ragdolls.

It's a blast of fresh air from a simpler, more innocent past. Loving it.

Big No

Novice
So You Lucky Bastard has completely removed the scene with the train. Tommy, Paulie and Sam go to the bar to kill Sergio and instead of Paulie's gun jamming, Tommy pushes him away to keep him from killing a waitress and has to chase Sergio on a bike to the docks.

This whole scene is gone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't really get why you're having a go at me for offering my opinion about what I saw of the game, when I even gave a clear disclaimer that I watched it rather than played it.

I'm not seriously mocking you at all, just pokin' ya a little over watching games instead of playing them.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
So You Lucky Bastard has completely removed the scene with the train. Tommy, Paulie and Sam go to the bar to kill Sergio and instead of Paulie's gun jamming, Tommy pushes him away to keep him from killing a waitress and has to chase Sergio on a bike to the docks.

This whole scene is gone.

Another casualty of the millennial/zoomer attention span.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm not seriously mocking you at all, just pokin' ya a little over watching games instead of playing them.

Fair enough, it's hard to discern criticism from fun-poking via text. :brodex:

In case I was coming across as overly harsh on the game, I like every scene with Sarah (there's an especially good one after Election Campaign which adds a great story detail that I don't think existed in Mafia 1), I really like the new Frank actor, who is better than the original Frank, plus the additional dialogue he gets at the end of Omerta. There's also a lot of great additional small details like with Salvatore and Biff. It's just a shame Tommy is such a HORRIBLE PSYCHO DICK to the point that it undermines most of the plot, Paulie and Sam just feel off, and the overall story has been made weirdly worse than the original in several ways (there's a big change to the Michelle subplot which detracts from the game to the point where I really don't know what they were thinking). Plus some absolutely absurd level design choices. Seriously, just wait until you play/watch Better Get Used To It...

Codex Year of the Donut
watched a bit of it just now, noticed he can use both hands for shooting; they had a specific excuse for that for lincoln clay that he had marine training or something, guess nu-tommy is ambidex or something :P
I've found shooting with either hand to be easier than most other tasks.
I'm also cross dominant so maybe it's different for others.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't know, he ain't using both hands only for pistols. Using rifles/shotguns and changing hands on the fly depending on which side he is facing in cover... one must have special training for that I think.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
So from what I've heard elsewhere, the Mafia (1) Rerelease is great, but the Mafia II "definitive edition" is hot garbage — that about right?

The sound design seemed really impressive in the former's case.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That racing mission on Classic is hydrogen bomb grade weaponised autism lol. I have no idea how I did it 15 years ago when I finished the original game but this is completely insane. Tried about 30 times, both with K&C and a controller, and the best I could manage was placing 7th. While being very lucky.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So from what I've heard elsewhere, the Mafia (1) Rerelease is great, but the Mafia II "definitive edition" is hot garbage — that about right?

The sound design seemed really impressive in the former's case.

Mafia DE is a grounds-up remake so it looks and sounds grate. Especially the VO is just about the best you can hear today.
Mafia II is just a remaster so it's still the same 10 year old game with some polish. That said the story is still as good as before. Definitely worth playing - on PC that is, apparently it's bugged to all fuck on PS4.

Mark Richard

Arcane
So I'm playing it and I'm positively chuffed. Sure it's basically an interactive movie but it's so completely, wonderfully devoid of all the currentyear bullshit it melts my heart. Just driving my convertible with my buddies, listening to Luis Armstrong, busting balls, smashing cars, shooting punks in the head. No multiplayer, no MTX, no 500 collectibles to hooover up all over the map, no hamfisted references to slavery on every corner, no powerful 80 pound women throwing burly bangers left and right like ragdolls.

It's a blast of fresh air from a simpler, more innocent past. Loving it.
Seems the Internet agrees, though I sure don't. I wasn't merely attracted to the setting of the original Mafia, but the hardcore sim-like design. Take the setting out of the equation and this remake looks like every other big budget title on the market - cover shooting, GPS, skippable driving segments. The first mission sums it up. In the original you're given free rein to avoid a chasing car. In the remake you're chased by multiple cars, and required to drive through several pre-arranged construction sites which activate a brief cutscene to crash the chasing cars one at a time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom