Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
I will play as drow wommyn and will sleep only with other drow wymmenz. And then will plot to murder them.

bec de corbin

Educated
Larian can't measure up to the incredible writing of Baldur's Gate, where people quote Hannibal Lecter and shriek and say in-jokes repeatedly. Impossible to reach such lofty heights

RPK

Scholar
Vampire books for grown ups > Dan Simmons (Carrion Comfort)
Is it good? Worth reading? I glimpsed at the wikipedia entry and had a WTF I am reading moment:

The amoral villains of the novel, both 'The Trio' and 'The Island Club,' are often portrayed as harboring some level of racism and sexism, and often in extreme cases such as ex-SS officer Willi and Melanie Fuller's background in pre-war Austria and the segregationist south of the United States.
Don't believe his lies. It's not a vampire novel and it's shit.

Go read Vampire of the Mists if you want the D&D vampire flavor, it's not a bad book, despite being written by Christie Golden, it even has THE vampire poster boy Strahd in it.

I disagree. I thought "I, Strahd" was pretty good though. P.N. Elrod is a much better writer than Chrsitie Golden. I thought Vampire of the Mists was just not very good.

Poseidon00

Arcane
You should read about Dragonlance at some point. The first books are probably the best DnD-related novels, and the setting wasn't half-bad for a DnD adventure. At least before it got fucked up beyond recognition.

I read a few Dragonlance novels and played a few of the Gold Box Dragonlance games. Good setting, but doesn't quite have the potential of a Planescape or Spelljammer imo. Still, those are very underdeveloped while Dragonlance has a lot of content for it, so all that potential will eventually be for nothing as they inevitably ruin it when they try.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You should read about Dragonlance at some point. The first books are probably the best DnD-related novels, and the setting wasn't half-bad for a DnD adventure. At least before it got fucked up beyond recognition.

I read a few Dragonlance novels and played a few of the Gold Box Dragonlance games. Good setting, but doesn't quite have the potential of a Planescape or Spelljammer imo. Still, those are very underdeveloped while Dragonlance has a lot of content for it, so all that potential will eventually be for nothing as they inevitably ruin it when they try.
So you do know Draconians were part of DnD long before Wizards. All they did with 4e was change them up a bit and move them to the core races, probably for the "coolness" factor.

And massacre unrelated settings (FR) so they could awkwardly graft them everywhere, but that's another discussion.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Baldur's gate was never good. This will be a tabula rasa for the series, out with the archaic trash the neckbeards on here still glorify.

BGIII will become the GOATest of GOAT rpg's and our new engine will be lubricated by Ontopoly and bulgarian tears.

When people will talk about BG, they will think about the BGIII, the others will be forgotten.

Larian has uttered in a new RPG renaissance, you phaggots will hate me for it first, but in the end...you will love me.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
When people will talk about BG, they will think about the BGIII, the others will be forgotten.
You know, ironically, there will be a lot of (new) people playing the classics, because they will want to be in the know, so your plans have been spoilt, Belgian cheese man!
If they're brought in because they think DOS3 is good then it's probably more of a downside, but I hope some of them will learn from their experience playing the classics and go on to shun everything that is larian. Dog shit company with a passionless thief in charge.

Ulysa

Scholar
Excuse moi but how can anyone defend that they are spending time and resources making all sex positions but they didn't even bother with night/day cycle?:?

EDIT: bah I just remembered DOS weird sex lines, they are bunch of weirdos with fucked up priorities. I guess it was expected.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Excuse moi but how can anyone defend that they are spending time and resources making all sex positions but they didn't even bother with night/day cycle?
They don't need to defend it. They have no part of them that thinks larian ever would need defending. They are cultists. To them, larian is the standard and everything they do is the right way. If larian tells them day/night cycle is not needed, then it is not needed, and neither is an explanation. If larian puts in fully body motioned sex scenes then it's what should be done and that's all there is to it. There is no way to view something from the viewpoint of a cultist. You are either one of them and understand, or never will no matter how hard you try to consider or devils advocate it. The way these people think is incomprehensible to anyone except for someone who has degenerated so far that they have become a larian cultist. No rational person could explain their priorities, especially considering that they're jerking themselves off so hard for having vampire reactivity without a day/night cycle.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Excuse moi but how can anyone defend that they are spending time and resources making all sex positions but they didn't even bother with night/day cycle?:?

EDIT: bah I just remembered DOS weird sex lines, they are bunch of weirdos with fucked up priorities. I guess it was expected.
You must have missed the discussion earlier this year explaining that a day/night cycle is too difficult to implement in BGIII despite it having been included in both turn-based and real-time CRPGs since the 1980s. :M

jackofshadows

Magister
It's very difficult given co-op and tb combat, big city etc, sure - but that doesn't mean impossible. Just a matter of priorities. I'd chose day/night cycle over cringe-worthy interracial sex-scenes, despite me liking interracial sex-scenes as a concept.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It's 2020 people. Day/Night cycles are so 1990's. Take off the rose-tinted glasses and realize it's all about static worlds now that revolve only around your character & your "choices". Who are you going to fuck? etc.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

You must have missed the discussion earlier this year explaining that a day/night cycle is too difficult to implement in BGIII despite it having been included in both turn-based and real-time CRPGs since the 1980s. :M
What discussion?

Also why would anyone complain about weird sex lines? Frankly Properly weird sex lines are normal in computer games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom