Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Why Owlcat's Kingmaker Sucks, in Plain Language

Shadenuat

Arcane
The whole point of companions is building them up and making them work despite their stats (That's one of the fun parts)
Yeah you ruin game for yourself with full merc parties. You also get a very shallow perception of character building by going that direction.

Also, companions, especially after upgrades, have a more powerful stat distribution than mercs even.

Absinthe

Arcane
Stopping Linzi from ever join up usually improves the game.
I was just about to brofist your post, but then you committed blasphemy. Repent! :whiteknight:
Never!

:evilcodex:

Seriously though Linzi does have a grating personality and an inconsistent value system she seems to love shoving down your throat. Once you get her you're stuck with her too. The part where Linzi embezzles your money to start a press which would reasonably foment a border conflict that you'll have to deal with is kind of a place where I think Owlcat was missing the option to just execute her on the spot, or at least get back your money and throw her out.

Yeah you ruin game for yourself with full merc parties. You also get a very shallow perception of character building by going that direction.

Also, companions, especially after upgrades, have a more powerful stat distribution than mercs even.
Dude, you miss out on so many possibilities if you don't do custom companions. There are a lot of party compositions and fun setups that just don't work otherwise. And it's not like Owlcat is giving you, say, a Paladin companion (Valerie would have been a decent Paladin, but annoyingly, you can't do that) unless you go for a hireling.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
At the point where someone argues about optimizing stat distribution I'm just like, use BoT and give mercs 25 stats to start or w/e. Stats is a terrible reason to run the pre-made companions.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dude, you miss out on so many possibilities if you don't do custom companions. There are a lot of party compositions and fun setups that just don't work otherwise. And it's not like Owlcat is giving you, say, a Paladin companion (Valerie would have been a decent Paladin, but annoyingly, you can't do that) unless you go for a hireling.
There is the endless dungeon for that.

Absinthe

Arcane
Shadenuat, are you trying to make it sound socially inappropriate to want an option to beat someone's face in and get rid of them for stealing from you and using the shit they stole to cause you even more problems?

I get that there's a story and rationale and whatnot that Owlcat wants, but I feel like there should be some proper C&C here.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
dude is even butthurt over linzi stealing money :lol:
classic steam discussion here
I mean it is incredibly ironic given the plot of the prologue regarding stealing money. Luckily for me I never make it to later chapters cause I get bored of the kingdom management hassle and quit or start over.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Well, everybody is free to rob themselves of any content they have paid for. I remember the scene with Mim on Tors of Levenies as one of the cutest and most memorable moments in the game. One cannot have it without kingdom management.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Shadenuat, are you trying to make it sound socially inappropriate to want an option to beat someone's face in and get rid of them for stealing from you and using the shit they stole to cause you even more problems?

I get that there's a story and rationale and whatnot that Owlcat wants, but I feel like there should be some proper C&C here.
if Linzi wouldn't wake you up in prologue 5 mins into game assasino would have cut your char throat

come on, halfling steals money from the party.
you can say bad halfling not do again she no do again.
what c&c u need here.

Shadenuat

Arcane
game should have had script where for some reason you lose BPs/money like in Crusader Kings 2 and have options to execute all companions. after you kill everyone and still money vanishes and you almost go insane it turns out, sylvan sorcerer mercenary you hired did this.

Absinthe

Arcane
if Linzi wouldn't wake you up in prologue 5 mins into game assasino would have cut your char throat

what c&c u need here.
The part where you punish her and dispose of her. The Lawful thing would be to punish her for her crimes, after all. And if you've gone Evil this is the part where she is a liability and detriment to your person. Loads of alignments in this game, but funnily enough you don't quite get the right options to follow through.

game should have had script where for some reason you lose BPs/money like in Crusader Kings 2 and have options to execute all companions. after you kill everyone and still money vanishes and you almost go insane it turns out, sylvan sorcerer mercenary you hired did this.
Say what you will, but Mage Armor and Polymorph on an animal companion (maybe Transformation and Shield too) is just a good combo. Would hire again.

i wish more of my subjects would only embezzle funds to buy me state of the art propaganda toys
That would be better if she were not propagandizing against one of your border-states while you're still a fledgling power at best.

Codex Year of the Donut

what c&c u need here.
It wasn't stealing, it was borrowing without asking.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
That would be better if she were not propagandizing against one of your border-states while you're still a fledgling power at best.
She is preparing people's mood for successful war later while getting her personal revenge. It's a win-win in my book.

And if you had played at least to Act II you would have known what Irovetti thinks about your new barony.

Codex Year of the Donut
IIRC your barony is essentially a vassal of Brevoy and your Kingdom is closely allied with them. Pitax would never attempt a direct assault on your kingdom, there's no reason to attempt to cozy up to them or even maintain friendly relations: They want your kingdom. Not like they try to hide it at all.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
That's the problem with overwhelmed zoomers: their attention span does not allow them to get to the stages of the game where almost everything becomes clear.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
So you are a zoomer. That explains a lot.

Think whatever you'd like, I suppose I should just be happy that a Russian is even capable of that in the first place. You're a creature born from the muck of degenerate savagery and profound idiocy called the former Soviet Union, it's a wonder you can even use a keyboard.

what c&c u need here.
The part where you punish her and dispose of her. The Lawful thing would be to punish her for her crimes, after all. And if you've gone Evil this is the part where she is a liability and detriment to your person. Loads of alignments in this game, but funnily enough you don't quite get the right options to follow through.

Player should at least have the option of making her pay that back in full. "Go busk on a street corner or something, kid, and come back when you're ready to behave."

Shadenuat

Arcane
unimaginative, unforgiving to a single mistep (see Linzi check), can't make a good rpg anymore. a typical burger.

but don't worry, russians, as well as estonians, belgians, serbians, czech etc. would make rpgs for you now so you will at least have something to do with your boring fat lives.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just pointed those who remade classics recently and better than those who made them in the first place. i.e Disco vs Numanuma, etc.
Poland for example, also strong, but doubt CD Project would make hardcore rpgs.
Vince is Ukrainian
Hell there might come a game one day from another Ukrainian unknown atm.

at this point I think it's a tradition already: someone tries to remake classic or something in its spirit for cash; then some nobodies actually remake it better - with love. :shittydog:

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
unimaginative, unforgiving to a single mistep (see Linzi check), can't make a good rpg anymore. a typical burger.

but don't worry, russians, as well as estonians, belgians, serbians, czech etc. would make rpgs for you now so you will at least have something to do with your boring fat lives.
is this post available in english?

Absinthe

Arcane
IIRC your barony is essentially a vassal of Brevoy and your Kingdom is closely allied with them. Pitax would never attempt a direct assault on your kingdom, there's no reason to attempt to cozy up to them or even maintain friendly relations: They want your kingdom. Not like they try to hide it at all.
Everyone does. The problem is Linzi is starting shit when you're not in a state to deal with it if they were to decide to get a little more hands-on about you. And the part where she fucking stole from you, of course. Let's not pretend there aren't strong reasons to have Linzi punished over what she does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom