Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think people are just trolling. At one point George indicated there's a strategic layer, and at one point it was mentioned that combat is real-time, but I don't think it's actually an RTS.

I haven’t seen any indication that the strategy layer takes inspiration from RTSes, and given that the only time I’m aware of George publicly talking about strategy games prior to this was discussing his admiration for King of Dragon Pass, I’m skeptical that it will be trad RTS or TBS in any capacity.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Who in here wants to bet money the game will take place in the Tyranny setting?

He’s already said it’s an original IP, but if they had to pick a licensed setting they could do much, much worse than Tyranny’s.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if it did turn out to be connected to Tyranny. I wouldn't want Bronze Age/Iron Age RPGs to share the fate of Arcanum, and have a single RPG representing their genre.

CyberModuled

Savant
If (big if of course) it were Paradox who's picked up Digimancy's pitch, it's all the fucking funnier (and more well deserved on the former's part) that it was theirs that got picked up and not Wayward Realms. Then again, it's probably fair to say whatever amount of staffing Digimancy had on July 20th, none of them were stupid enough to privately e-mail their publisher and ask for more money for a pitch.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As much as I would like an RPG to take more of an RTS style focus to combat, RTS and strategy aren't necessarily the same thing.
It's a "RPG-strategy" hybrid with "real-time combat gameplay," sounds like an RTS to me. I doubt it's going to be a real time action game with a strategic layer, that would be odd.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's obviously not an RTS by anyone's normal definition of the term; Roguey is just being waggish. Kingmaker is an RPG-strategy hybrid with real-time combat, and no sane person would call it an RTS. Mount and Blade is an RPG-strategy hybrid with real-time combat, and no sane person would call it an RTS. My assumption is that this is something like KODP with a more interactive real-time combat layer, but who know? I'm very confident it's not Warcraft 3.

almondblight

Arcane
It'd actually be interesting to see someone attempt a RPG/RTS hybrid game like the original concept for Warcraft 3:

Warcraft III will not be yet another build-buildings-and-amass-forces click-fest, but rather what Blizzard calls an RPS, or "role-playing strategy" game.

Rather than building hordes of units, you'll instead work to recruit and build-up smaller, more powerful groups of heroes and troops. As in an RPG, you'll interact with non-player characters, battle wandering monsters, and journey to new towns. However, there will still be the overarching strategic goal of battling and defeating enemy races. The game won't play like Baldur's Gate, but battles will be on a smaller scale than in traditional strategy games. Six different races will be featured, including Orcs, humans, and demons.

And:

[War3DevTeam] The Warcraft III campaign is actually not mission based as it was in Starcraft. Instead, it is a large, continuous world that players will adventure through much like in a role playing game.

Harthwain

Magister
Fingers crossed that the publisher forces them to change it to an action RPG.
I am more interested to see what they can make with RPG-strategy hybrid, rather than them churning out yet another action RPG.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What I find sad about this company is that they got free from the shackles of their old industry, where they haven't produced anything of value in the last 15 years.

And the first thing they do is hire "the veterans of the industry", the same people they worked with in the last 15 years. They could've hired new blood, gone outside the cucklifornian pool of tired and out-of-ideas developers. They work remotely, they could've hired European talent that hasn't yet burned itself out. What they're doing is tragic, I'm not even mad.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As much as I would like an RPG to take more of an RTS style focus to combat, RTS and strategy aren't necessarily the same thing.
It's a "RPG-strategy" hybrid with "real-time combat gameplay," sounds like an RTS to me. I doubt it's going to be a real time action game with a strategic layer, that would be odd.
Though if they're making a Mount and Blade type game, I'm all for it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So let's have the guy who wrote Mask of the Betrayer but let's not make anything writing related lel.

Is this what i'm seeing here?

guestposting

Educated
What I find sad about this company is that they got free from the shackles of their old industry, where they haven't produced anything of value in the last 15 years.

And the first thing they do is hire "the veterans of the industry", the same people they worked with in the last 15 years. They could've hired new blood, gone outside the cucklifornian pool of tired and out-of-ideas developers. They work remotely, they could've hired European talent that hasn't yet burned itself out. What they're doing is tragic, I'm not even mad.

they hired Disco Olga

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So let's have the guy who wrote Mask of the Betrayer but let's not make anything writing related lel.

Is this what i'm seeing here?

Ziets hates writing dialogue; I'm sure whatever he makes will have a plot and setting that suits his tastes though. :M

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

they hired Disco Olga
Hiring women for anything but drawing is a mistake. Olga wrote the weakest, cringiest parts of Disco that had no place in the game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh yeah, she's hot. Oh my, she's diddling her tiny butt hole RIGHT NOW and Belle Delphine is spitting in her mouth, it's on her Onlyfans, holy fucking jesus and moses, get there right fucking now!! (NSFW!!!)

god damn coomers...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom