Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Turns out 2.0 is on the way! Marius is going to be focused on "pacing, warfare, and UX."

I am pretty hyped to hear that they're:
  • "tying the recruitment system(s!) into the rest of our simulation" — and fixing the historicity issues around unit recruitment, as well as cultural differences among armies; they also, incidentally, removed the raise levies button, which SHOULD mean they're actually giving Rome its part-time citizen-soldiery (among other systems elsewhere), and presumably in the Marius update you can pass something akin to the Marian reforms which would make it once more like the present version.
  • "looking at overhauling the inventions system and the military traditions"; more defining choices beyond who/where you start a campaign can only be a good thing.
  • new UI! — opting to replace the CK2/HoI4-era UX with something adjacent to CK3, reminiscent of the jump from CK2, dropping the skeumorphic UI for something more stylised; they've completely reworked the province interface, and added some nice aesthetic touches that still carry rapidly processed information (like a throne room bg).
pasted%20image%200%20(2).png

Still very much a WIP, some elements still need to be reskinned, etc. Some part of me is going to miss the skeuomorphic design, even if it's obviously far better use of space. Seems to be a dead school as far as UX design goes these days though.

They've also confirmed that they'll be adding the nested tooltip system from CK3 (same engine, so the similarities shouldn't surprised really), so that's a big plus.

More details (and more images):
Salvete Omnes!

It’s been a while since you heard from me or the Sthlm team, so I’m here to do a few things today.

Firstly, there’s a few points of confusion to clear up!

The team down at Thalassic began working on Imperator early this year, onboarding and getting accustomed to the game and the codebase - their first feature (Great Wonders) was created in parallel while the Stockholm team produced the 1.5 update which is currently in your hands. This has worked very nicely, however, having two studios working on parallel tracks makes it difficult to produce the kind of interconnected material that makes Imperator unique. Over the last several months, we’ve begun integrating and onboarding the talented folks at Thalassic into our workflow in order to enable the production of more integrated features and content which you’ll discover very shortly.

Our last dev diaries were intended to give Thalassic a platform to show off what they’ve created, without flipping back and forth between the two teams.

Following on from this, I’d like to clarify that the next update you will receive will contain, but not be limited to, the Vitruvius update. Working with a second studio is quite new for us, and we wanted the Great Wonders feature and update to have a unique codename; in this case, it is not tied to a specific and limited release. In this case, it will be released alongside our next major update.

The last point of order I have here comes with a side-note: namely, that you’ll be waiting a little longer than usual for the next content update for Imperator.

‘But WHY?’

Well, this was hinted at a little when the ‘unprecedented’ scope of the upcoming release was mentioned in the last dev diary. The scope and quantity of features coming in the next release is of such gravitas that we are changing the version number to adequately portray what this represents for Imperator.

As such; I can now introduce the 2.0 Marius update.

‘2.0 - is this hubris?’

Well, no. I don’t think so. At this stage I can only commit to a broad overview of some of the things we intend to cover with this update, though I would urge you to make up your own minds after reading the following:

My overarching directives for 2.0 are pacing, warfare, and UX.

Pacing

I want to achieve a more consistent and choice-based progression to the flow of the game. As of right now, much of what the game offers you is available to you from the very beginning, and there are fewer ways to customise your playstyle than I would like. We’ll be looking at overhauling the inventions system and the military traditions system in order to effect a more intuitive system of progression that allows for a sense of advancement and identity to develop over the course of a game.

This doesn’t solely mean gating existing mechanics, however, this will also tie strongly to new features and additions coming in 2.0.

Warfare

This is a pretty big one. I’ve never been happy with the military recruitment and army mechanics being almost entirely divorced from historical reality and being largely set apart from the many other systems in our game. Our main military focus for 2.0 will be on tying the recruitment system(s!) into the rest of our simulation, as well as adding a much larger recognition for the cultural diversity of military forces in different parts of the map.

Several astute forum users have noticed that we’re going to be removing the Raise Levies unit ability. I’ll leave you to ponder over how that might be related.

There are of course many additional improvements coming to the warfare aspect of the game, from forts and sieges, to wargoals and cohorts.

UX

Aaand then there’s this. This is something we’ve been keeping under wraps for a while now, and which has been the sole focus of @jiroro, our UX designer, since she joined the team.

Many of you have expressed a desire for work on the UI, and this is something we’ve heard.

In the Marius update, we’ll be focusing on greatly improving the user experience on an interface level, as well as including a completely new art style. Since it’ll be entirely impossible to avoid showing any features off without teasing at the UI rework, here are some in-progress shots of the state of things on our highly experimental branches.

The bright visual identity of Imperator was tied to too many periphery elements (branding, key art) to change at this stage; it’s something we intend to work with and refine going forwards - we'll be preserving this lighter style, in contrast to some our sister titles such as Crusader Kings, which opted for a darker approach. I wanted a bold style, dropping a lot of the unnecessary cornels and border decorations that took up a significant quantity of screen real estate. You'll notice we still have decoration; this is used more carefully, and serves a purpose of its own - to draw attention or indicate the relative importance of an interface, or to create a feeling of immersion with pictures and scenes.

A significant directive I've pressed home, is to bring out the importance of characters; no more beige backgrounds, more breathing room, additional usability functions (character search, anyone?), and a suite of backgrounds intended to give characters a little more life.

Part of the behind-the-scenes advantages of this overhaul is also to support easier modding, color switching, and the potential for culturally thematic UI themes (though with the scope of 2.0, it should be said that we will not be adding any of this in the immediate future).

It is incredibly important that you are aware that the art and UX overhaul is not complete, and even things which look overhauled or reskinned may well not yet be finished.

Nb: All screenshots are provided at our minimum supported resolution of 1920x1080.

pasted-image-0-png.632734

The WIP Character Window. This is one of our larger standard windows in the new UI - we wanted to give characters a great deal more space and personality by doing away with the beige backgrounds, and inserting a more immersive background selection system. Here you can also see that the top bar has been moved to the side, to accommodate more usable screen real estate.

Future plans, inspired by some of the popular user mods (such as the Better UI mod by Agamidae) are to include balance indicators on top bar resources, as well as showing additional contextual information in the top bar.

pasted-image-0-1-png.632735

While function definitely takes precedence over form, it became apparent that we had much more space to work with in our newer style; including larger set pieces adds a lot to the feeling of immersion when using the UI. The astute amongst you will notice that we have a new tooltip system - the recent release of CK3 has enabled us to make use of much more intuitive nested tooltip technology.

pasted-image-0-2-png.632736

I couldn’t resist the opportunity to make the senate feel more alive.

pasted-image-0-3-png.632737

As you can see, we’re working a lot to reduce the size and visual clutter of game interfaces.

pasted-image-0-4-png.632738

Of course, this is not possible everywhere; the distinction between windows you’re likely to need while using the map, and otherwise, has been accentuated. You may also notice a few additional tidbits here
upload_2020-9-28_17-14-37.gif

pasted-image-0-5-png.632739

Even the in-game menu has received some attention.

pasted-image-0-6-png.632740

Widely regarded as one of our most confusing windows, we’ve done a lot of work on the Territory window to add some breathing room to information.

pasted-image-0-7-png.632741

There is, of course, much more to show here. Next week @jiroro will take a long dive into the reasoning and specifics behind the UI rework.

As always, I look forward to hearing your comments.

/Arheo

Some further clarifications on whether nation specific UI colours would be possible:
I definetely am in the "Tie UI colour to country color" bandwagon. Even without accounting for different tones. Don't know if it is technically posible, though.

Also, a macrobuilder is very much needed and would be good to avoid micromanagement hell, also improving the UI.

I tried this.. it's technically possible, but its only consistently possible when there's one primary UI color. With more than this, you end up needing to recolor other elements based on the primary color, which is a nontrivial thing to do in a satisfactory manner. Might include that color function at release if anyone feels like playing with it in mods tho.

Don't most countries also have a secondary colour? You could potentially recolour the secondary UI elements with that secondary colour. Might look awful though. Just an idea

Yes, and yes, it does look awful
upload_2020-9-28_17-23-36.gif

Glad to see that the monuments update wasn't what they were hyping to the heavens and back. Genuinely excited for this. :D

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Dont be too excited it will likely be rushed and unplayable for a few months including a few gamebreaking bugs, that being optimistic.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, if the Roman republic mechanics are not a feature that "should have been there on release", I don't know when a feature ever was worthy of this descriptor. "2.0"... modern game development for you.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
"2.0"... modern game development for you.

To be fair to them, version numbers in software are more about the significance of a change.

Arheo — the lead since Johan, and the author of today's diary, and a guy that obviously gives a shit about representing antiquity right (basically, the architect behind all the dynamic systems that replaced Johan's manafest) — has been taking direct feedback and acting on it in r/imperator, which is a big positive imo.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
'nother DD on the UI changes coming:
Good day!

I’m Jiroro, the UX designer on Imperator: Rome. I’ve been on the Stockholm team since November 2019. Nice to finally meet you officially!

002-jpg.637453

So… what is UX?

003-png.637454

Sometimes UX and UI get mixed up. The UX - User experience - designers at Paradox are focused on grouping and presenting information, taking the players’ perspective into account. We want to make approachable games, design experiences with a flow that feels intuitive and natural (and sometimes we get it wrong, lol, so thank you always for your feedback). Are concepts introduced properly? Is information achievable? What is the players’ expectation in this system, this game? Are colors, icons or words used in a consistent way throughout all corners of the game? We analyze, then put things into their designated place in the UI, using the gorgeous bits and pieces that our UI artists created. So sure, I do UI. However, I don’t create the color schemes, ornaments or textures of our UI. I design the experience the player will have in the UI.

UI Rework

It’s finally happening, people! The UI rework has been my main focus since I started working on Imperator. Me and my little Stockholm based strike team have been working away from the shadows for a while now. We wanted to take our time to truly figure out our new direction and identify some pain points that needed attention.

To summarize, my UX mission is: Declutter and reorganize the UI for the whole game, without reducing the amount of information you can access. If we removed parts of the core game, it wouldn’t be Imperator: Rome anymore. Sounds like a fun challenge, huh?

Some high priority points for me:

• More art! Let art take up more space to enhance the feeling of immersion. Without letting gameplay or functionality suffer.
  • Visual consistency. Introduce a visual language that makes a distinction between what’s clickable and what’s not, for example.
  • Tabs and headers to group information.

And now that 2.0 is announced, I can finally get into some details with you all!

Small disclaimer is of course that this is under development as we speak, and the final result may look slightly different from the screenshots.

Let’s start with… probably the busiest window of the game: Province & Territory UI.

004-png.637455

You know this view.

What I did first was to analyze what we have here. What does everything mean, what belongs to what? I usually create flat uncolored vector icons - low fidelity - to avoid getting distracted by styling at this stage.

After identifying some problems that I want to solve, it’s drag and drop time. Grouping the pieces to add some structure! I ended up with a wireframe like this:

wireframe-004-png.637433

And through some sort of dark, mysterious magic it turns into this latest version, implemented (usually by Arheo or myself) in game:

005-png.637456

Tadaa! We decided to have a designated color for buttons in the UI rework. Everything clickable is now teal colored in some way, with the exception of flags. In headers, buttons are white since it blends in better than teal.

In Province & Territory UI, we still have Province on top, Territory on bottom. The two sections get a clearer separation now with our bold headers.

Various things have been cleaned up and aligned, like the progress bars, Province income is now combined into one value (you can still find commerce and tax income separately in the tooltip). Trade goods get more space than before, too.

The terrain image is used in a bigger format to bring more focus to that. On the right side we have new illustrations to show the territory status (this one’s the settlement image).

And, of course, the tabs. Pops, Buildings, Tactical.

Moving on to the top bar navigation. We scrapped that and moved the buttons to the side:

006-png.637457

007-png.637458

The gods in the old buttons are extremely beautiful, but it was often hard to remember which god represented which UI. We went for a flat icon approach instead. I want players to quickly recognize icons for the UI they want to open. I also changed the order slightly, it makes sense like this I think. The opened UI’s icon will highlight to tell you where you are.

Another UI that got a makeover is Nation Overview:

008-png.637459

For 1.5 I decided to move Decisions into the Nation Overview. Here it is in the new UI for 2.0. Now, you select a decision to read more about and enact it with a separate button.

And oh, you will be able to access Nation Overview by clicking the big Nation flag in the corner. So many of us try to do this all the time (yes, we tracked it in usability tests, and I’ve seen your comments about it). So I added that for the UI rework.

We also gave the Outliner some love:

009-png.637460

The Outliner has gotten a more compact look. It’s slimmer, information is tightly packed within it to avoid too much scrolling, some added consistency for the button hiding or showing the Outliner and Queued Events.

Next up is Character UI:

010-png.637461

011-png.637462

This view has gotten some of that art boost I mentioned as one of my goals for the rework. I felt that characters should have more of a personal touch to them. In fact, we have added a series of backgrounds for character portraits for this update, and in the detailed Character UI - as well as in the Nested Tooltip card - you see the full width version of that image. The backgrounds provide flavor and contextual information. Apart from terrain images based on the character’s location and government related backgrounds, we also have specific images behind characters who are dead or imprisoned.

That’s all from me for this week. I appreciate all your feedback on last week’s UI rework reveal. Not to mention improvement suggestions here and on other platforms before that. Your comments and suggestions influence my work and that’s a really cool position for me to be in. With UX design, I truly believe there needs to be a back-and-forth. Thank you.

/Jiroro

...... But wait!

Before we wrap up completely, Arheo has something to share:

Hi all! In usual fashion, we can't leave a dev diary without a small teaser of something new... without telling you what it is, naturally. Thus, with no further comment, I'll leave this (WIP) window here:

1601902096060-png.637450

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Changes coming in 2.0 are getting more and more exciting. Still prototyping a lot of things, but having an actual tech tree seems like a biiig positive. They're also teasing big economic changes.

Hello!

Welcome to another development Diary for Imperator: Rome, and the 2.0 Marius Update.

Today me and @Braindrift will be talking about some changes coming to the Invention system
upload_2020-10-12_18-32-41.gif

zCR081JRAvmfopq29ri9j2MjVUSNbRS56J0sIeW6PKuEeE34A3RYUS9QVK1raBHn-NpCHHlB_2DEzermlgMKGUWEEa7F5DhvXtMBVxiBq-pRAl9nXHcqJv7sLTvywVc2xC1OoTks

Up until now the invention system has been fairly uninvolved, with new inventions arriving at every tech level, and the selection of inventions you can implement severely limited at any time.

The idea behind this system was that while technology progresses you do not get more than base benefits from this unless you also invest in the implementation of the various inventions that each level was associated with.

This system has also changed very little (beyond how the price for inventions is scaled) between the various versions of the game since release.

In the Marius update the plan is to replace the Invention system.

Inventions are to remain to some extent gated by tech, but more importantly inventions are now in a tree-structure, allowing you to choose in which direction you want to progress, planning ahead for what you want your country to be good at. If you want to be a naval power you can progress down the naval portion of the military tree, perhaps even focusing on what type of ships you want to improve (lights over mediums?), while an expansionist might want to go after the inventions that help in absorbing lands with reduced penalties.

This change also allows us to pace some of the benefits in the trees in a better way than the old system where you would only ever have 3 inventions of each kind available at any time.

Additionally the new system will support country or culture specific branches, and will have new inventions added to better allow you to customize your country, interacting with Laws, Great Wonders, and more

The Trees:

@Braindrift has been working on making the new trees, and adapting our old inventions to them as well. I will now leave the word to him to explain the thoughts behind the trees. As with all things we show in our Development Diaries these trees are still work in progress
upload_2020-10-12_18-32-41.gif

Civic Tree:

PAxHOgICn5FmZSFFDyR9p1QPmEYGE4Q3WvwwdgTj1j0xIT_RhcLRuiHpSZv6fbYbKa14Wp_x0Rs4xX9w1Sgx9ffbR7pQhw6KgGNVF3N6_RfVJeT5oWCHk2tL5vHSBn6sWwyOLIku

The Civic Tree has been split up into two paths. The path to the left, starting with Standardized Measures, focuses on trade, commerce and provincial infrastructure. The path to the right is more oriented around civil rights, laws and cultural ideas around population, giving you improved output from slaves and freemen and improvement to happiness for cultural groups.

Military Tree:

qPUYxlIlk744tkMF3e5LbXKkwPKOpYUBBSlQD-lrhapVbILUKvwGZ4ASgyzfFtb1ukqf3f6OteVUIdiRSl9v8L4drZoxE5CKrkZPHMwQ44QdA6_plBrJiavlZgadqC_drhMllwB-

In the Military Tech Tree, you will find three main paths, each focusing on a specific area with the thought that it will make it easier to specialize. In the left-hand tree, you’ll find most things related to naval warfare and ships. The middle tree is oriented around military culture and logistics, mostly with improvements around your land-armies and the organisation around them. The right tree focuses on inventions and war-machines that empowers your siege abilities as well as fort defense.

Oratory Tree:

-XEKLqLQBjtKIEORXA1vCrkOTA3QnWlNFupCf91IIg358d7eA_Y0oTquGYaT1Gmbaw_JkufQQ8wnvn1DHLeoavQIeGewgQM-Ny9X-Z-DnHrfu4HA8TRVBwMpjdEZ7jvUMjPm6RvX

The Oratory tree has two paths which roughly can be described as foreign and domestic affairs, or perhaps the Conqueror and Diplomacy path. The left tree is oriented around inventions that give you reduced War Score costs and lowered Aggressive Expansion impacts, but also increased loyalty and income from your subject states. The left tree focuses more on the internal affairs and diplomatic relations of your country, with a series of inventions that can increase the loyalty of characters within your nation and lowering corruption and tyranny.

Religious Tree:

PuGnwcAjABDWdwCF_QqbEa9FZpQAV6KqEVLluRo4vdkirrYnwkkt3xA_I63RE-0vXVNXQKsVBLMCesTomGlMVxUgZ-mLJ8Mx69uwgQi2quyiMNsvX9fN60vaY6f3cRN4GJT_YwV_

The Religious inventions are organised into one big tree, but similar to the others, the paths will have different themes. The leftmost path is oriented around religious culture for both the civic and military area, where you’ll find inventions such as; Tolerated Cults and Household Priests that will lower the cost for Divine Sacrifices, or Oath of Brotherhood and Military Decorations which will give you improved morale recovery for your armies. The middle path tries to capture the relation between state and religion, while the right path orients itself around inventions that come from the religious field.

Invention Benefits:

Most inventions will still focus on making your country slightly better at something, modifiers to things like the strength of certain units, to population happiness for specific pop types, how good your country is at demanding land in wars, etc.

The new system does however also support direct effects from inventions, or locking actions, laws, unit abilities, etc, behind them. Instead of the implementation of a certain invention just getting you a better ship type it might also get you a better port, or a new ship.

To some extent this relates to features that we have yet to talk about, so there isn’t too much to show here yet.

Unlocking Inventions - Progressing in the Trees

One other thing we want to revisit in the Marius Update is how you unlock inventions. For now the main way to do so will remain a gold cost, scaled on the number of pops in your country (the idea being that implementation of an invention is more costly the larger your country is), but this has in the past created situations very large countries really cannot afford to prioritize inventions.

The economy is changing a fair bit in the new update so we will await how the old costs play in the new system before we make any adjustments to this cost.

One new thing we are introducing to make things more interesting, however, is “innovations”. Innovations are essentially free unlocks in an invention tree that you get every time you gain a tech level.

Innovations represent important, milestone unlocks, adopted as part of the cultural zeitgeist of your nation, and allow you to progress over time in the trees of inventions in your desired direction, without diverting the funds from other areas.

Innovations may also be gained from some other sources (but technological progress will be the main source of them throughout the game).

That was all from us this week, except that Arheo has now hijacked the dev diary to leave you with another teaser…

C-UqF_YVfQOxOeb6jn7E2Px8vP-nNp8nnPsQPvADwbx2xU-7N6D_NsfpeQc-unsxQZp8p0do53lxCiYBGYcxBy9KyLi_xZW_BARfilC061gYPbf2E7rBf5nO6VEWkzJKwObMIIau

Like they say tho, the trees are a WIP. I assume they'll make them visually more interesting.

I really wonder what that last image could be about.

C-UqF_YVfQOxOeb6jn7E2Px8vP-nNp8nnPsQPvADwbx2xU-7N6D_NsfpeQc-unsxQZp8p0do53lxCiYBGYcxBy9KyLi_xZW_BARfilC061gYPbf2E7rBf5nO6VEWkzJKwObMIIau

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Maybe... they said the economy is getting some big changes, but it's not a trade revamp itself (there was a minor rework for trade with the last update). I assumed the economic changes are sorta tied to the military reforms, given the current pop-orientated economy needs at least a once-over to accomodate the new systems.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
First actual details on the military reworks in 2.0/Marius are looking great. :)

Hello and welcome to another development diary for Imperator: Rome.

Today I will be talking to you about some of the changes that are coming in the Marius update. It is still early days, so take any and all numbers and screenshots as what they are, work in progress
upload_2020-10-19_18-3-23.gif

Combat Width

In Imperator: Rome Combat Width is what determines the size of a battlefield. Units designated as primary rank are deployed in the center, with the units designated as second rank taking their place once they retreat from the battlefield. Units designated as flankers are deployed on the sides.

If unopposed to their direct front, units will target enemies diagonally, as far away as their maneuver rating will allow. This means your flankers can start attacking the center of the enemy line, if they can first defeat their counterparts in the enemy flank. It also means you will have little use of your flankers until late in a battle if the enemy line is completely filled.

1ePufSIDSY9ItdUmMJWw2mjqoPGcnQZsrOGHMD9NQ8WfxSMRC5bpR-rRCrpN3V3OqAtqy6QwkmjNvuY-NTnw7BWWr5tLChZqzK-ZBybZMnNoPnpXbQE7yf0zF37yXRQ64c3oTyN8

The unit interface is changing a bit in Marius, here is a partial peek at the Work-in-Progress version of it

xZbsPU-adPyO0oY8G5Gnl7KvLL0edmad5HIgG_FG3ONY5T43q06OSDBrNeAl9zBzpXxounsuWx5eD9gFn8FdXEAR7G1_PxwIUJje3YxQ9B4_pkt22eTrFrOe9YyknTLp6BRbE84e

In the Marius update combat width is no longer the same on every battlefield. Instead it is now dependent on what terrain you are fighting on, and this can vary quite a bit, from extreme cases such as mountainous terrain where the battlefield is only 16 positions wide, to sea battles in the open where the width is now 50.

This allows us to better represent a dramatic variation of combat scenarios, and potentially opens up opportunities for ambushes, pitched warfare, and more. Choosing the place you give battle becomes as important as which subunits are present.

bl2QYeiES4k5Bv3n64CnYFpmp1actK6_5ibXluGRSRoZagkf07fZ7H_HfcrTgo9DtwFEOF2IMlejEbwf7f0ovGOYN0NTxad4ps9XOzkl1kFr79-x0I0B1eGMud8L5ldFcevxFJWP

Additionally there will be some locations where the width is further modified,for example mountain passes, like the famous “Gates” where many historical battles took place. Such locations are now also marked with a 2D icon on the map itself. Such passes have been added to a number of locations all around the world.

urKkk0N0sb0uxU8r_lEe2Kq2j5SBBQd6n1KRZ51IMCll2Gnxy5W0i89vrIee4hWR_AjpaY38kkVgTTq0UqpbxM8SWLJXUlHya0NtIqLCfiHm6APSNPDtD8PFg60yfDjYUKXADM8p
lbuaqheO2KgpOK-uh3VNnR34PZ8LkKbNsuHvJHOuXFlAsNQoIB-rlcb6LWdqy0NDR4gOp2_r3dYrBQh7Khj5NsDMpJ3mgbLOahEFPE_4ziYYkSFwhDDk3TyIAQeuMetQi3Y5EwZs

What this means is that it becomes less viable to trust that one army composition is as useful for all types of campaigns. In largely forested or hilly areas your ability to flank will be much more limited.

At sea, on the other hand, this increases the danger of leaving your heavier ships unattended even further. The new system allows the potential number of enemy ships that can target a single isolated big vessel to be much higher.

Forts

In the release version of the game, when you have broken through a fortified area you currently have to spread out your troops to take control over the unfortified parts of all the provinces you pass through. This is a process that can be both attention intensive and not particularly rewarding or realistic.

For the Marius update we have been looking at ways to alleviate this, removing reasons to break your armies up into many small pieces and rewarding concentration of power a bit more. Some of these changes will be described below.

Occupation

In the new update occupation of all territories in a province will begin to progress as soon as you control *all* forts in that province. This means that when you are done taking control of the military installations of a province your armies can move on, and not split up to occupy all the territories in turn.

In provinces that do not have any forts, it will be enough to occupy the province capital to trigger this behaviour. Occupying the local capitals was already a good idea since it gives your armies access to the Provincial food storage, but this change further increases the importance of going after these important locations.

This has the knock-on effect of reducing the need for carpet-sieging behaviour, and makes large-scale warfare significantly less tedious.

Province Fort Limit

ePQOqSeNJiucoC15jUKROnJLHzGKtXB8v1qWNtMTcwaCUflqemgXBSAxdHPjYJBP0nHUx6aK0SX58KVoCa78uEuvxR8IDlsvq_Z-ejt45I0kJUa-VRDXejpm-NE1-zfGnWCy-VBI

Another change, partly because of the new importance of forts, and partly because of how easy it has been to tie down invaders by building a great number of small forts, is the Provincial Fort Limit.

This limit represents the degree to which the provincial infrastructure can support great fortifications and can be increased using a provincial investment.

The starting limit for any province will be 5 and each new fort in a territory will make use of 3 Fort Infrastructure levels. Additional levels to existing forts only contribute 1 Fort Infrastructure level to the fort limit, encouraging building forts in important and influential places rather than in every territory.

The Fort Limit is not a hard limitation, you can still build more fort levels than your province infrastructure can support, but fort levels beyond the limit will sharply increase the maintenance you pay for them. There may well be additional sources of this limit to account for historically well-defended locations.

Engineer Cohorts

U79SkJcoK69nl6ZepjDcksMG3gTD-Jfb6G3Uge7Kp542KJPyJskx2XjGUw6kHWjXwUBePTHW4eg4mkKfPKvblHZ0biRiGrWBCojxGttxKtRhGhzE9jT_CciVQ47UhIWUcwAnmNqM

Fort warfare will also be affected by the introduction of a new Engineer Unit type. This unit represents troops specialized in sieges and the construction of military facilities, siege towers, roads, temporary bridges, etc. If present with an army laying siege to a fort, engineers will add +1 to every siege roll, divided by the fort level +1.

Engineers are also able to negate the crossing penalties that armies get for attacking across rivers or straits, as long as they are present in high enough numbers (1 cohort for every 10 units fighting on your side in a battle). For this reason an icon indication has also been added to show whether you will get a crossing penalty or not from a movement order.

Lastly Engineers are proficient in road building and will greatly reduce the cost to build new roads if they are present in an army ordered to construct roads.

The new unit type has an unusually high cost both to recruit and maintain, and is also restricted in some ways that we will expand on later diaries.

That was all for today when it comes changes related to warfare. Now it is time for a change coming to how you handle trade.

Provincial Trading

One other new feature coming to the Marius update is the ability to assign control over Trade to your Governors. This is done on a provincial level, meaning you can decide to have some provinces under the control of your governor while still manually handling others.

The governors will try to get profitable routes set up while also securing access to food for their territories, but will expect to have total control over what is theirs

Atlas Map Mode

lX4l68GKMkDv_cRSXGYqb15jIXg27HCdLs5lAJnYd7wfjRJdEf0C0JRE2-KGNT39dXtpQXmmaWK6n7gyTT2gCOoykhaOIiY94eRPxvgvyTDru-fn-XJlvRMjNeVRnNtl-VgV-One

My last point for today is to show the new Map Mode that we are adding together with the interface rework in Marius. It aims at showing information at a glance in a way that could be useful for After Action Report screenshots, or if you just want to admire your world in a way reminiscent of the historical atlases that most of us enjoy

That was all for this week!
Next week we will be back with more about the new features of the Marius update.

Arheo continuing to do antiquity justice. The combat width thing is such a relatively small change but it's damn apt for the period and is going to make army composition a lot more interesting to work with.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
But this seems to solve a bunch of things? "Endless reworks" implies the same things being reworked over and over; that's not what's happening, they've been going through features systematically and reworking them to be more dynamic, living systems, rather than mana orientated button clicking. Sure, if the next few updates after Marius start looping around to more reworks there's an issue, but this is all solving core problems that stand out immediately to anyone familiar with antquity.

Mortmal

Arcane
You know, as long gameplay will be to click on a trade icon up the screen every 5 sec people wont play that ever ...Each time i launch it , the same obvious issue appears, no trade automation, thats just a pain . Tood bad it add nice ideas like armies automation, that would be most welcome in other games.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
You know, as long gameplay will be to click on a trade icon up the screen every 5 sec people wont play that ever ...Each time i launch it , the same obvious issue appears, no trade automation

Uhhh...

Provincial Trading

One other new feature coming to the Marius update is the ability to assign control over Trade to your Governors. This is done on a provincial level, meaning you can decide to have some provinces under the control of your governor while still manually handling others.
The governors will try to get profitable routes set up while also securing access to food for their territories, but will expect to have total control over what is theirs

And I'm pretty sure they already added another feature to deal with trade request spam.

Mortmal

Arcane
You know, as long gameplay will be to click on a trade icon up the screen every 5 sec people wont play that ever ...Each time i launch it , the same obvious issue appears, no trade automation

Uhhh...

Provincial Trading

And I'm pretty sure they already added another feature to deal with trade request spam.
Took their sweet time for something so obvious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom