Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Codex Year of the Donut
image.png

thesecret1

Arcane
Giving WL3 a good run for my personal RPGOTY so far but I'm not that far in. Really unexpected though, expected a crappy mobile game.
Man, same here. I was going to skip it as shovelware until I saw this thread praise it. Definitely one of the better games that came out this year.

Hellraiser

Arcane
every turn-based RPG developer needs this shoved in their face
our1HmH.png

Want animations and cinematic closeups? Cool! Give me an option to disable it.

This, fucking this. Also the same applies to retarded camera scrolling to show critical hit or whatever it was that wasteland 3 has. Don't take camera control away from me in tactical combat unless I allow it!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Obviously it's not wildly successful but it seems this is the most successful game for both the developer and the publisher.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It must be word of mouth - people seem to be happily surprised that the combat is actually decent and, considering that it's a French game, not a technical mess.

Codex Year of the Donut
Another indie dev managed to not be hit by the Unity loading times of death while companies with hundreds of employees can't do it :M
Takes me like 3-4 seconds to load a level

[edit]
also, appears they plan on releasing a PS4 version after checking the files. Was that already confirmed?

Harthwain

Magister
I think I found out how to make the Ogre semi-useful: keep him behind the main line and delay his turn, then aggro everyone. Next turn put him in defense mode. Enemies will give you attacks of opportunity and deal less damage overall (assuming they can even reach the Ogre). Next passive I get for him will be the one that increases protection, so he can soak damage even without being in defense mode (useful against enemies with high initative/Courage).

Also, I gave the Dwarf Lead Belt and with all other items he has 12 protection and 18 parry (28 with the Ranger's bonus from Tactic: Defensive Maneuver). He was able to effortlessly tank 4-5 Orcs in the last battle by parrying and soaking damage. All that without defense mode enabled.

Mortmal

Arcane
It is not going to surprise anyone but this (french) game is in the middle of internet drama right now in France.

The game has been reviewed by various sites. The scores it got are rather... split ? Some scored it average, but Canard PC which is pretty much the best magazine around who has its article behind a paywall gave it 8/10, praising that they bothered to make an actual game and it worked most of the time, providing quite an enjoyable experience. JVC, the biggest french review site gave it a 12/20. Canard PC criticized the french voice dub, which put side to side french acting talents and stupid youtubers for 12 y.o. One of these is a retard called Benzaie.

The female reviewer of JVC blamed the inappropriate & annoying humor, but didn't insist on that. Most of the review described just an average game.

People got pissed at the JVC review, calling the reviewer a SJW, accusing the website of giving it a bad grade because it didn't receive corruption money.

Benzaie got involved and started mocking JVC, praising the Canard PC review although he pretty much got shat on in it. He probably didn't read that, though, as this mention of him is behind the paywall.

In the middle of this, is your usual drama about Naheulbeuk humour being appropriate, inappropriate, or just having not aged well.
what does this have to do with elf titties?
In dungeon of naheulbeuk original story the elf gained bigger titties after getting a level up and morecharisma , the barbarian noticing it screamed " CROM!" , it"s very old and AD&D parody . What was normal humor by then is probably viewed as unacceptable by medias , and only by them, but who cares aboutt hem anymore.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The elf's voice is fucking insufferable in all three languages, god damn what the hell were they thinking
like I get it ha ha there's asshole tabletop people who wants to play a ditzy idiot blonde hero and antagonize everyone, but that doesn't mean you have to put them in the game where i have to hear them
you can specifically disable the elf voice in the options
idk what they were thinking
Isn't that obvious? They were doing a parody, so they decided to make the elf - generally considered one of the wisest, if not the wisest, of races - into a blonde bimbo. Literally. She's dumber than the Ogre. They knew she will be annoying, because it's by design, so they gave people the option to mute her.
"we paid someone to record all these lines just so people would mute it"

I think that's a compromise they did when adapting the source material: the elf was already annoying in the mp3 sagas, so if they don't want to lose those that bought the game because of the license, they'd have to keep her that way. And since not everyone would be fan of the elf, they just added a option to mute her.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
After playing the demo for 10 minutes back in july, i really wanted to hate the game but you make it look like the combat is more than decent so i'll probably buy it if/when all the bugs are squashed.

I'll probably hate the humor with passion (Early Naheulbeuk audio series was good but it soon got extremely retarded) though.

Codex Year of the Donut
what happens if you don't drink the antidote?
and is there any way to see traps without using the slow ass thief?

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, I like the humor too. It's not the side-splitting kind of humor, but one where you just smile at the ridiculous lines and conflicts. I keep feeling as though this kind of humor used to be really common back in the day, but you rarely see it nowadays. Probably because every retard out there subverts stereotypes nowadays, so when you actually see a normal stereotype, it feels new.

thesecret1

Arcane
Anyone know what the riddle item is for the door on Abandoned Floor? It thought it'd be an egg, but that was incorrect.

thesecret1

Arcane
it went something like "it's hard to tell if it's a he or a she, but it often dies before you find out or hear its song, and if it lives then it outlived its name" or something along those lines.

Harthwain

Magister
After playing the demo for 10 minutes back in july, i really wanted to hate the game but you make it look like the combat is more than decent so i'll probably buy it if/when all the bugs are squashed.

I'll probably hate the humor with passion (Early Naheulbeuk audio series was good but it soon got extremely retarded) though.
Probably. The jokes are painfully obvious, so you can see the punchline from a mile away and I am suspecting something was lost in the translation too, because delivery feels flat. If you played the demo and didn't like it, then I have to warn you: it doesn't get any better later on in terms of quality of humor.

I found this format...:

...to be kinda funny though.

BTW, misc does not mean trash. I've had misc items that are used in puzzles.
Somebody said the items that will come in handy have a description "You never know when it might be useful" or something like that.

Codex Year of the Donut
it went something like "it's hard to tell if it's a he or a she, but it often dies before you find out or hear its song, and if it lives then it outlived its name" or something along those lines.
:hmmm:

The answer is chicken. Not going to mark it with spoiler tags because a french person will have to explain it to us, I assume the riddle was lost in translation.

thesecret1

Arcane
:hmmm:

The answer is chicken. Not going to mark it with spoiler tags because a french person will have to explain it to us, I assume the riddle was lost in translation.
That's why I thought it was gonna be the egg... but in the end they want an already hatched chicken? So the hen bomb, probably?

Rafidur

Learned

From googling it french people are confused too and expected an egg to be the answer. It might kind of make sense because only adult roosters sing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom