Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

But there actually exist cucks who buy consoles just for exclusives. And apparently Sony prefers more people owning their consoles to making money from sold game copies.

Well yeah, they get a cut of every game sold on their system. It kind of makes very little sense for them to release games on PC, especially in a time when they dominate the console landscape.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This 20 seconds trailer is the only thing we have known about Sekiro for a very long time

Yeah it was about 15 months between Sekiro announcement and the launch. But with ER we're already past that and still no word about it. The game almost certainly won't launch before March 2021 which means almost two years between its announcement and launch. Something definitely went wrong here. Probably another DS2 situation, seeing as it was the first open-world game for FS.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
s0TjkEr.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
But there actually exist cucks who buy consoles just for exclusives. And apparently Sony prefers more people owning their consoles to making money from sold game copies.

Well yeah, they get a cut of every game sold on their system. It kind of makes very little sense for them to release games on PC, especially in a time when they dominate the console landscape.
And a cut for every almost-mandatory multiplayer subscription. You put your exclusive on a different platform you're looking at $20 or so per retail copy sold there, you get them to buy into your platform instead and you not only get a cut from every sale but you also rack in all the money from recurring $10+ psplus/xbox gold memberships.

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
And a cut for every almost-mandatory multiplayer subscription. You put your exclusive on a different platform you're looking at $20 or so per retail copy sold there, you get them to buy into your platform instead and you not only get a cut from every sale but you also rack in all the money from recurring $10+ psplus/xbox gold memberships.

thats the same argument that assumes that if I pirate your game I would buy it if I cant pirate it. you would need an actual metric of people buying your console just for this one game (and possibly subscribing to your service) against the money you would make from non exclusivity and people buying it on other plattforms.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/elden-ring-open-world-features-themes/

Elden Ring Open World Features, Story Themes and More Discussed
By Francesco De Meo
3 seconds ago
Share Tweet Submit

Elden Ring has been announced last year during Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference, but very little has been said about the game since then, with From Software keeping the lid sealed tight. Some new details, however, have been confirmed recently.

During a talk held during the 23rd Japan Media Arts Festival focused on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, as translated by Reddit user cocoakoumori, hosts Tokita Takahashi and Sayawaka read a statement from Hidetaka Miyazaki, who confirmed how Elden Ring will be From's deepest game to date and how it will deal with both history and mythos at the same time, pretty much confirming some of the rumors that are circulating online regarding the game's themes.

Bloodborne PC Underwent Big Playtest Round Last Month; May Not Support Framerates Above 60FPS – Rumor

[Miyazaki]. Basically, I decide the thematic elements of the game first to develop the motifs and world view of the title. Now we're in development for a game called "ELDEN RING" which is larger and deeper than anything we've done before (..) history, or mythos, we feel we're challenging ourselves to make a game that deals with these two opposing [elements].

Sayawaka also went on to confirm that Elden Ring will have some sort of open-world feel and how it will be possible to ride horses to move around this world.

[Sayawaka]. ELDEN RING has staff from the foreign drama "Game of Thrones" participating in development and the game has got a sort of "open-worlded-ness" to it with wide open areas where you can ride your horse and things, it seems there are scenes like that in the game so, well,... There's a feeling of a world here, I suppose, right?

Ending the Elden Ring conversation, Sayakawa also hinted that the game will also have some of the themes that are prevalent in George R.R. Martin's works.

[Tokita] True, well, this is one that I personally like and I think it's a very painful fantasy drama... There's pain there and from a human perspective there are themes of racism, politics, citizenship, and so on (...) So this is a work that is psychologically quote painful in a lot of ways and making a game with Miyazaki which such a huge world view.. on a world-level, everyone's looking forward to it so...

[Sayawaka]. (...) The actions of the characters... Really make you think "yeah, humans are like that" it's just tremendous (..) and when you have history and myth, from a human perspective you can make a very grand story out of that. I don't want to say too much but I'm certainly excited.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I really hope that they don't fall into the same open world trope that every other game is falling into. Almost everything that was good about their games wouldn't fit in open world. But then again, it really depends on how big and open it is, and maybe if their view on open world is different than the views of other dev studios.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
I really hope that they don't fall into the same open world trope that every other game is falling into. Almost everything that was good about their games wouldn't fit in open world. But then again, it really depends on how big and open it is, and maybe if their view on open world is different than the views of other dev studios.
I really hope they're thinking Risen or Zelda (not the last one...) and not Elder Scrolls.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"there are themes of racism, politics, citizenship,"

Beware Japan. Don't let current West influence into your country.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
We are gonna miss the cryptic evocative nonsense. Hard to ignore SJW edgy narrative.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
We are gonna miss the cryptic evocative nonsense.

That was the case the moment they picked a western writer. That cryptic evocative nonsense reflect that "negative" eastern mindset, where as westerners are all about mental projection.

Open world + western writing = Twitcher 3 with good combat, and that's the best case scenario. UNLESS From software just doesn't give a shit and makes another Dark Souls straight up and "open world" and Martin are only there for marketing.

Hassar

Scholar
After Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro, I trust FS with everything. I would even buy a mobile game with lootboxes in it from them.

Sekiro was the only FS game that I returned so I am a little more realistic now. Very possible that Elden Ring won’t be on the same genre-defining level as DS1 & that’s ok.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Never played Sekiro but i don't think it was advertised as Soul-like (or an RPG like Dark Souls was), where as Elder Ring is.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
All souls game and Bloodborne were advertised as action RPGs, Sekiro as an action-adventure game. With Elden Ring, they went back to the "action RPG" thing.

Lyric Suite, you should still give Sekiro a chance. There's no build variety, but you can still play around with different tools, exploring how they perform in various situations. More importantly, the game is full of that challenging gameplay that (unless I'm mistaken) you enjoy about souls. Right now it's 40% off here (but, yeah, 36€ probably is more than you spent on all other souls combined, if you bought them on sale)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom