Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ScummVM 2.2.0 is out and now supports Ultima 4,6,8 + Prince and the Coward gets English translation!

index.php

Arcane
Sep 27, 2020: ScummVM “Interactive Fantasy” 2.2.0 Sees the Light
Posted by sev

A new release of ScummVM is ready. This is a thrilling one because we are embracing adventure games as far back as 1976! That’s right, the infamous Colossal Cave Adventure, the very first Interactive Fiction game, is now supported by ScummVM.

Besides that (and about 1594 other IF games), we now added 3 more game engines and extended another 4, thus adding the following games to the supported list:

• Blazing Dragons
  • Eye of the Beholder - Sega CD version
  • Griffon Legend
  • Interactive Fiction games
  • Operation Stealth
  • Police Quest: SWAT
  • Prince and the Coward, English translation
  • Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar
  • Ultima VI - The False Prophet
  • Ultima VIII - Pagan
As you can see, we continue our exploration into the world of RPGs.

Other notable changes are: a fully rewritten MorphOS port; a new subsystem for automatic saves present in nearly every engine we support; Right-To-Left display support in our GUI; updated MT-32 emulation code and Discord Rich Presence.

We now support additional different game versions, and have noticeable improvements to Illusions, Kyra, Lab, Queen, Titanic, Xeen and ZVision engines. There is also improved support for Maniac Mansion, NES and Apple //gs versions. As usual, we continue fixing original SCI script bugs in over 30 games and added Roland D-110 soundtrack support to these games.

Of course, you can find the comprehensive Release Notes here.

Grab your copy from our downloads page, or, on Windows or macOS, let the automatic updater fetch it for you.

In addition, we will be releasing a new Android port into the Beta Channel and will need your help with testing. That would be great for us to get your feedback at the Android Port subforum.

Time to dive into a nice Interactive Fiction or fry some monsters in Ultima with a Blazing Fire, if you’re a dragon of course.

Codex Year of the Donut
Eye of the Beholder - Sega CD version
Can anyone tell me how this differs from the regular one?
Checked the source, appears to add CD-Audio, animated cutscenes, and mapping functionality.

Other stuff added appears to be screenshakes(? maybe for cutscenes?), and separate GUI drawing code(maybe just because it has a different native resolution than EoB?)
Might be of interest to EoB enthusiasts.

Eye of the Beholder - Sega CD version
Can anyone tell me how this differs from the regular one?
Checked the source, appears to add CD-Audio, animated cutscenes, and mapping functionality.

Other stuff added appears to be screenshakes(? maybe for cutscenes?), and separate GUI drawing code(maybe just because it has a different native resolution than EoB?)
Might be of interest to EoB enthusiasts.
Sega CD EoB's only point of interest is the pretty weird Yuzo Koshiro/Kawashima soundtrack.

Certainly makes for an... interesting experience whacking kobolds listening to early 90s acid house.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ScummVM merger with ResidualVM

“Sorry for the wait Mr. Flores, I’m ready to take you now”– Grim Fandango.

Today is a special day, special in a number of ways. First of all, we hit a milestone with 19 years of ScummVM. Our first-ever public release, ScummVM version 0.0.1, happened on October 8th, 2001. And second, something else finally happened, something which has been in the talks for a long time: The ScummVM project is officially merging with the ResidualVM project.

For a long time ScummVM limited itself to 2D point-and-click adventure games, and so ResidualVM was born as a sister project to support 3D games. But from now on, there will be no more confusion about which project a game belongs to. ScummVM now embraces adventure games and RPGs, whether they are 2D or 3D, point-and-click or not. It is a natural step for both projects which have been developed alongside each other and cross-pollinating each other with ideas, patches and design decisions. Moreover, several developers belonged to both projects.

With this merger, ScummVM adds several games to our supported list: Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island, Myst III - Exile, The Longest Journey and an unfinished engine for In Cold Blood, as well as Wintermute 3D engine.

We’re excited to embrace most of the ResidualVM team and will continue development together.

Of course, there are still more things to do and, in the coming weeks, you will see more project resources merging like forums, wikis, etc.

Stay tuned and go 3D!

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Apr 4, 2021: Thousands of games needing testing
Posted by DreamMaster

We're finally ready to unleash the motherlode onto the public for testing. The AGS engine has had many freeware games released over the years, as well as quite a few commercial games as well. Keep in mind that, like the stand-alone AGS interpreter the engine is derived from, only AGS games from 2.5 onwards are supported.

So if any of you are interested, try downloading some freeware games from The AGS website. You will need a daily development build. As always, please submit the bug reports to our issue tracker. It would also be helpful to let us know in the #engine-ags Discord channel which games you finish testing.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Posted by The ScummVM Team

Free your mind for yet another ScummVM release!

Nine newly supported games on 6 engines will plunge you into a variety of different settings. Are you able to escape from an alien-infested planet? What about challenging the Lord of the Dead in the Underworld? And have you ever explored the deepest depth of your psyche to see if you really know yourself?

Find out in one of the following titles:
  • Sanitarium
  • Hades Challenge
  • Marvel Comics Spider-Man: The Sinister Six
  • The 11th Hour
  • Clandestiny
  • Tender Loving Care (CD-ROM Editions)
  • Uncle Henry's Playhouse
  • Wetlands
  • Chewy: Esc from F5

Besides adding new games, we are always focused on improving already supported games. Once again, we managed to squash quite a few bugs from various engines. It is always impressive to see bugs getting fixed in engines that are more than 20 years old!

One of the main new features of ScummVM 2.6.0 is a completely new way to view your games in an amazing icon grid overview via our launcher. Accompanied by some very shiny artwork provided by our graphics artists, you are now able to show off your collection like never before. It almost looks and feels like a virtual shelf!

Check out the full Release Notes for a comprehensive summary of how our developers managed to make ScummVM even more amazing!

You can find all of this goodness available for a number of platforms on our downloads page. If you are using Windows, macOS or the Ubuntu Snap package, the autoupdater will assist you in updating to ScummVM 2.6.0.

As always, thank you for your continuous support — happy adventuring!

Last edited:
The latest dev builds of ScummVM now support Obsidian, probably my favourite first-person adventure game of all time. Played it on release 25 years ago and was hooked all the way to the end.

There's an ISO at archive.org: https://archive.org/details/SegaSoft_Obsidian_Win95_1996_Eng

I used to have the hintbook, too. I wonder if I can find it somewhere.

edit: it's also on archive.org, but you have to rent it: https://archive.org/details/officialobsidian00iris/
Thanks for reminding me of this. I just prepared it as a portable Scummvm-package. Can't wait to delve in this game. I remember it from back in the days but never actually played it myself. These classic "Myst-likes" (a derogatory term if you ask me) always had a special appeal to me.

Last edited:
FYI The Collection Chamber has a custom installer for Obsidian, too.

https://collectionchamber.blogspot.com/2017/04/obsidian.html
Ah yes, I remember this. I found it some time ago but I'm not sure if I downloaded it. I think TCC works with PCem for their games and unfortunately that can be a bit slow in performance, at least in my experience.
Another good thing with Scummvm is that you can use a nice midi-soundfont (I tried the trusty old SGMv2.01.sf2 which makes the game music sound much better than with the default SB-sound).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom