Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:deathclaw:
Bethesda must have run out of money,they haven't released a game in like 5 years,that is a lot of time paying salaries and not having income. They are pretty slow developer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ZoQu2jk_d.webp
Skyrim is like Vampire Bloodlines,when it is mentioned,someone reinstalls it,while when someone mention skyrim,someone buys it.

Gastrick

Cipher
He makes good points in his videos, but his blatant bias against Sony and Japan in general puts me off.
Razorfist fucking sucks. I feel nothing but shame for having ever watched his content.
Some good quotes,
"You are a fucking coward. You'd never have the balls to actually be yourself either. That's the sad thing
about you. You're so goddamn fucking fake."
"Fake modesty. Fake personality, Fake to friend and foe alike. Faker than gas station sushi you are."
"This is also why Razorfist can't stay in any relationship for a few weeks before he's dumped. He's never been
genuine to any motherfucker anywhere under any circumstances. He's all appearance. Nothing genuine."
"As for respect, once you get to know him, you realize this motherfucker has no respect for anybody, he sees
diplomacy as a means to avoid criticism online. Nothing more. Criticism, which many people have pointed out
in the past, he plain and simple cannot take."
"Where are your balls daniel, did you leave them at the gay nightclub nextdoor?"
"So what's with this black and white filter razorfist? Dudes trying way too hard to be edgy and metal. Take the
glasses off dude it make you look like a douche, your room's bright af."
He also wears women's makeup.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He makes good points in his videos, but his blatant bias against Sony and Japan in general puts me off.
Razorfist fucking sucks. I feel nothing but shame for having ever watched his content.
Some good quotes,
"You are a fucking coward. You'd never have the balls to actually be yourself either. That's the sad thing
about you. You're so goddamn fucking fake."
"Fake modesty. Fake personality, Fake to friend and foe alike. Faker than gas station sushi you are."
"This is also why Razorfist can't stay in any relationship for a few weeks before he's dumped. He's never been
genuine to any motherfucker anywhere under any circumstances. He's all appearance. Nothing genuine."
"As for respect, once you get to know him, you realize this motherfucker has no respect for anybody, he sees
diplomacy as a means to avoid criticism online. Nothing more. Criticism, which many people have pointed out
in the past, he plain and simple cannot take."
"Where are your balls daniel, did you leave them at the gay nightclub nextdoor?"
"So what's with this black and white filter razorfist? Dudes trying way too hard to be edgy and metal. Take the
glasses off dude it make you look like a douche, your room's bright af."
He also wears women's makeup.
These seem to be on point.

Quillon

Arcane
Wasn't there a CEO's son or something managing bethesda that people complained about, what happened to him?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:deathclaw:
Bethesda must have run out of money,they haven't released a game in like 5 years,that is a lot of time paying salaries and not having income. They are pretty slow developer.

Not true, they released Skyrim: VR 3 years ago!

:troll:
Well they do have 400 employs,they take around 100k rounded down per year. So 400x100k = 40,000,000 x3 = 120m for 3 years of work. And that is purely the salary,not accounting for all the other expenses like buildings,amortisation,licenses,consumptives ect ect. Most people just see a big number and assume endless profit,because have no idea how economix work,tho it is not their work to know :). Thus people neglect or underestimate the costs of running such corporations.

Remember those rumors when Sony was gonna buy Bethesda? :hahano:
there's this kids card came called "merda" (shit), people take turns drawing cards, if you have a pair you shout "merda!" and put your hand on the deck, last one to follow draws more cards as penalty, but you also draw when you touch the deck without owning a pair, so sometimes you go for a full force "merda!" but slam your hand right beside the deck in the hope to trick someone else to touch it.
feels like microsoft got tricked to hit the deck so hard it splattered all the cards on itself.

when i heard the news first i thought this was huge, world-changing huge, after a week now i know it's 2020 and i expect only the worst of the worst out of this.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Razorfist is pretty good at that Dennis Miller kind of verbose comedy but he has the same problem most youtubers have: that just because they have some media talent doesn't change the fact their opinions are often pretty banal/shit/boring and their knowledge is often rather cursory or at any rate no better than the average person. Often time it comes down to them telling you things you already know but in a somewhat entertaining way.

Naraya

Arcane
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=50843

Honestly, I don’t really care about Bethedsa games at this point. Fallout? Elder Scrolls? Both games began as classic RPGs back in the 90s, but since then Bethesda has turned them into moronic trash-picking games about inventory management that seem to have a child-level understanding of the source material. I imagine the upcoming Starfield will be more of the same: Trek, as executed by someone who thinks Star Trek Into Darkness is the best Trek movie because it has lots of painfully obvious callbacks and explosions.

In short, if Bethesda’s games were forever cancelled next month, it would probably be a bit of a relief. In a creative sense, the franchises died a decade ago and Bethesda has been playing Weekend at Bernie’s since then[4]. It might be nice to get some closure and be able to give the franchise a proper burial.

:salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interview with Chris Weaver: https://www.inverse.com/gaming/bethesda-microsoft-xbox-exclusivity-elder-scrolls-6-interview

BETHESDA FOUNDER ON XBOX EXCLUSIVITY, 'ELDER SCROLLS 6,' AND MORE
"WHAT MICROSOFT OWNS, SONY CANNOT GET"

Bethesda founder Christopher Weaver

ef505a16-fea8-43fa-a103-6d7b5ddb7261-getty-139261294.jpg

THE SURPRISING NEWS that Microsoft will acquire Bethesda parent company Zenimax for $7.5 billion raises a whole slew of questions. Will franchises like Doom, Fallout, and Skyrim become Xbox exclusives? What does this mean for upcoming games like Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI? And what does Zenimax even gain from moving under the Microsoft umbrella?

Microsoft and Zenimax executives are saying silent for the most part on what this deal means for Bethesda, but the company's founder Christopher Weaver (who left in 2002) is free to speak on the subject. In 2007, Weaver was Zenimax's largest shareholder with a 33 percent stake in the company. Today, he says he holds "a pittance of the stock." Nevertheless, he remains an interested party, to say the least.

"I was aware of the transaction and it is obviously gratifying news," Weaver tells Inverse.

For a bit more insight into the Microsoft-Bethesda deal, we spoke to Weaver via email, where he shared his thoughts on everything from what the deal means for upcoming games ("I have yet to meet an executive who does not want to accelerate the sale of a potential product") to the chances of Xbox exclusivity ("What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get") to his opinion on the growing trend toward industry consolidation ("a product can only be as good as the creatives who make it") and disc-less gaming consoles ("High-speed internet will provide the bridge.")

Read the full interview below.

MICROSOFT OBVIOUSLY GETS A LOT FROM THIS DEAL, BUT WHAT DOES BETHESDA STAND TO GAIN FROM SELLING?

I will try to answer your questions but with the caveat that I am now more of an academic, while also directing a project at the Smithsonian’s Lemelson Center for the Study of Innovation and Invention on archiving extensive oral histories of the creators of the computer game Industry. The point being that my focus has been on more large picture issues than any one company — even if it is the one I created.

I think this is an extremely interesting acquisition on the part of both groups. Microsoft deepens their bench instantly with one of the most experienced companies in entertainment software (during a time when video game sales are at an all-time high), and Bethesda gets the benefit of concentrating their creative firepower on software that feeds the Microsoft pipelines. A good prospective marriage of interests with a large domestic public partner.

WAS $7.5 BILLION A GOOD PRICE? DID MICROSOFT OVERPAY OR GET A GOOD DEAL?

As a private concern, Bethesda's internal numbers are closely held. Microsoft is a very sophisticated buyer and I am sure their due diligence supported the deal they negotiated with Zenimax.

5e581f93-8373-4787-ae65-807e773e270d-xboxseriesxands_hero.webp

The Xbox Series X and S consoles.Microsoft
MICROSOFT AND SONY HAVE SPENT THE LAST FEW YEARS ACQUIRING OTHER GAME STUDIOS. IS CONSOLIDATION GOOD OR BAD FOR THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY?

This is a difficult answer because it is so dependent upon the company being acquired. On the one hand, digital distribution, powerful tools, and sophisticated game engines have brought the cost of quality development down into the realm of the indies. At the end of the day, a product can only be as good as the creatives who make it. Properly managed, consolidation can provide a powerful mechanism for groups to share experience and "best practices." I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get. There are many economies of scale that consolidation between the right partners has the capacity to provide, but the ultimate test will be evidenced by the quality of products produced over time.

WHAT DOES BETHESDA'S SALE MEAN FOR GAMES THAT ARE CURRENTLY IN DEVELOPMENT LIKE STARFIELD AND ELDER SCROLLS VI?

My understanding is that Microsoft respects Bethesda’s 34 years of proven ability to produce quality software and has promised to let Bethesda be Bethesda. Nevertheless, I have yet to meet an executive who does not want to accelerate the sale of a potential product. The trick is to keep those administrators at bay until a product is truly ready for prime time. Bethesda has been producing commercial software for a very long time. I have to believe Microsoft execs will be responsive to Bethesda's input.

“I HAVE TO BELIEVE MICROSOFT EXECS WILL BE RESPONSIVE TO BETHESDA'S INPUT.”
010a1218-25d3-469e-9d57-7ba7745a2cee-e468bd42c24e68ef6b6491258f1cf1b3.jpg

'Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind' was a Microsoft exclusive at launch in 2002.Zenimax

IN 2002, MORROWIND WAS A MICROSOFT EXCLUSIVE. CAN YOU TALK ABOUT BETHESDA'S RELATIONSHIP WITH MICROSOFT IN THE EARLY 2000S?

We had an excellent relationship with Microsoft in the late '90s/early 2000s. In fact, I was close to key members of the original Xbox development team and shared many thoughts for what their “next-gen" console could bring to gaming. That team took many leaps of technical faith and built a box that IMHO surpassed everything else at the time. While overseas sales might not have reflected that, when coupled with forward-looking moves to Xbox Live, and their prescient purchase of studios such as Bungie, Microsoft has proven they are a force with whom everyone in the industry must reckon.

MICROSOFT AND SONY BOTH OFFER CHEAPER VERSIONS OF THEIR NEXT-GENERATION CONSOLES WITH NO DISC DRIVE. IS THIS THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR THE INDUSTRY?

I do not think the elimination of the disc drive will prove to be overly material. Both 9th generation consoles will have increased processing capability and SSDs. Once people get used to this short-term perceived limitation, they will realize a dramatic increase in reliability and responsiveness. High-speed internet will provide the bridge.

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ON THIS MOMENTOUS DEAL? IS THERE ANYTHING OBVIOUS NO ONE HAS REALIZED YET?

The acquisition of Bungie acted as an important trigger for the success of the early Xbox. Depending upon how soon Bethesda can prime the Microsoft pipeline, I suspect Microsoft is looking at their playbook and looking to repeat one of its “best moves.” If the strategy works, it will be a brilliant counter-move against Sony. Users from around the world will be the ultimate beneficiaries of this deal. I wish them well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As long as it is on pc,i don't care about the console exclusive shit. Sony generally doesn't have many games worth playing.

Considering I only use PC, I agree. I'm a little worried about Gamepass exclusives, but hopefully that's a long way off still. Just from an industry perspective though, I think a lot of Sony fans are in denial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom