Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 10 NES Games

Poseidon00

Arcane
It's curious that you've mentioned both Deja Vu and Uninvited, but not Shadowgate, which is my favourite of the ICOM adventures (Mindscape was just the publisher). Any particular reason?

Yeah, it seems that box art has declined constantly as videogames have progressed technically. There must be some kind of demonstrable inverse law.

Atari 2600 boxarts were also really fucking cool.

Woah, there was an NES/Macventure Shadowgate? I played the N64 version and really enjoyed it.

It's curious that you've mentioned both Deja Vu and Uninvited, but not Shadowgate, which is my favourite of the ICOM adventures (Mindscape was just the publisher). Any particular reason?

Yeah, it seems that box art has declined constantly as videogames have progressed technically. There must be some kind of demonstrable inverse law.

Atari 2600 boxarts were also really fucking cool.

Woah, there was an NES/Macventure Shadowgate? I played the N64 version and really enjoyed it.
Yes, and there's even a recent-ish remake that's surprisingly great.

I highly recommend both the NES version and the remake.

Machocruz

Arcane
Indeed the NES and remake are very different flavors, presentation wise. One is like a grand haunted house feel, the other fantasy epic. Both worth it.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Super Mario Bros 3
Shatterhand
Vice: Project Doom
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Wizards and Warriors 2: Ironsword that came with a free poster of Fabio
Ninja Gaiden 2
Solar Jetman
Akamajou Densetu because dat VRC6

JDR13

Arcane
Good to see some people mentioning Kid Icarus. That was an underrated gem imo.

I can still remember that first music track perfectly even though it must be 20 years since I've played it.

Ryan muller

Educated
1. Super mario bros 3
2. Dragon quest 3
3. Mega man 3 (althought 4 was definitively more polished)
4. Maniac mansion
5. Legend of zelda
6. Final fantasy 3

nothing more ive played on the platform was actually worthy (again, megaman 4 maybe being an exception, but just maybe)

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Castlevania 3, Megaman 2, Kirby's Adventure, Fire Emblem, Digital Devil Story, River City Ransom should be up there near the top. All can be played and enjoyed today

Last edited:

Ryan muller

Educated
Most smt games are not good at all, castlevania 3 is ok i guess, not well designed enough to be memorable, megaman 1 and 2 are quite terrible so i wouldnt consider recommending them (same to 5 and 6)

never played Kirby adventure and i dont particularly care for fire emblem

Zlaja

Arcane
Deja Vu (A fantastic adventure game, Unique style)

I remember this detective style game. I really enjoyed it, but was too stupid as a kid to manage finishing it. I still have fond memories of it, almost 30 years later. And that despite getting stuck and rage quitting.

Metroid (This game scared me back in the day)

I also found the game creepy. It reminded me of 'Aliens', which my older brother let me watch with him when I was only around 10 (scared the shit out of me). :cry:

the Super Nintendo was pure decline

GTFO!

Beastro

Arcane

Metroid (This game scared me back in the day)

I also found the game creepy. It reminded me of 'Aliens', which my older brother let me watch with him when I was only around 10 (scared the shit out of me). :cry:

It's sad that after Super Metroid they largely abandoned the scary environmental side of the series and got sucked into all the stupid lore crap that shouldn't be there (Samus' eternal archrivalry with Ridley and the Space Pirates).

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Metroid
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest 3
Legend of Zelda
Goonies 2
Rygar
Wizards & Warriors
Castlevania 2
Blaster Master
Faxanadu

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ash

Arcane
Most NES games are simply total shit compared to the 90s, or hell, even the declined modern era because you can still find some gems if you dig. But one game definitely stands out and that is SMB3, aka the best Maio game and greatest 2D platformer of all time...except for the fact there was no game saving which the SNES remake fixed.
*disclaimer: I never lived the 80s, so take my opinion with a grain of salt I guess. But I explored the decade enough to have some degree of weight to my opinion I'd say.

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Bubble Bobble
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Final Fantasy 2
5. Super Mario Bros
6. Prince of Persia
7. Zelda 2
8. NES Open Tournament Golf
9. Chip n Dale
10. Final Fantasy

About the GOAT: there are a rediculous amount of high quality fan romhacks for SMB3. Check it out:

1. Battletoads, best coop ever
:0-13:

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
You know, I've been thinking about this topic a lot recently as well. The NES was really the king of platformers and action adventure games.

Single Player
The Legend of Zelda
Crystalis
Star Tropics
Ninja Gaiden 2: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Zelda 2 The Adventures of Link
Metal Storm
River City Ransom

Multiplayer
Jackal
Tecmo Super Bowl
Gauntlet 2
Super C
Contra
Bubble Bobble
Micro Machines
Dr. Mario
Shadow of the Ninja
Life Force

PC Ports-
Wizardry 1
Pool of Radiance
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Maniac Mansion
Might and Magic 1
Sid Meier's Pirates
M.U.L.E.
Deja Vu
Nobunaga's Ambition
The Immortal

Worth Mentioning -
Faxanadu
Battle for Olympus
Swords and Serpents
Metal Gear
Castlevania
Castlevania 3
Destiny of the Emperor
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Blaster Master
The Guardian Legend
Punch-out!
GI Joe
Castlevania
Castlevania 3
Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
City Connection
Bomberman
Top Gun
P.O.W. Prisoners of War
Monster Party
Magician
Batman Return of the Joker
Yo! Noid
Mission Impossible

this person definitely lived the 80s, though SMB3 categorized as merely "worth mentioning" is suspect.

"Crystalis"

Not played this one. Looks interesting may check it out.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Crystalis is pretty fun but gets tedious towards the end when you have to switch weapon elements constantly to bypass enemy immunities.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

AndyS

Augur
I don't know if it's a top 10, more like 10 I liked in alphabetical order:

Blaster Master
Codename Viper
Contra
Double Dragon 2
Metroid
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
River City Ransom
Shatterhand
Tecmo World Wrestling
Trojan

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS

ZELDA
METROID
PUNCH OUT
RIVER CITY RANSOME
CONTRA
JACKAL
METAL GEAR
SUPER TECMO BOWL
AND LOLLOLLOL I LOVED CASTELVANIA 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom