Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Genshin Impact, i.e. Breath of the Waifu. BotW clone w/ cute anime grills and party mechanic system.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is designed for PC and Android from the news site?

Yeah it is most likely going to be a f2p mmo for both mobile and pc.

Looks great honestly, probably going to play it on bus on my way home from office.

Jinn

Arcane
Posted about this in the Random Non-Japanese Releases thread, then realized there was probably already a thread made about the game, so I'll quote myself here.

Free Action-RPG Genshin Impact was released today. It's anime as fuck, but goddamn it seems to be actually good. I thought since it was free it'd be riddled with mandatory microtransactions, but from everything I've seen so far, it's all completely optional and doesn't hinder the gameplay at all. It's not trying to rub your face into them at all either. Very impressed, honestly. If you try it out, I highly recommend switching the voice acting to Chinese.

Have played a bit more since I posted that, and I think I'm starting to get addicted.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Posted about this in the Random Non-Japanese Releases thread, then realized there was probably already a thread made about the game, so I'll quote myself here.

Free Action-RPG Genshin Impact was released today. It's anime as fuck, but goddamn it seems to be actually good. I thought since it was free it'd be riddled with mandatory microtransactions, but from everything I've seen so far, it's all completely optional and doesn't hinder the gameplay at all. It's not trying to rub your face into them at all either. Very impressed, honestly. If you try it out, I highly recommend switching the voice acting to Chinese.

Have played a bit more since I posted that, and I think I'm starting to get addicted.
how intrusive are the always online DRM/gacha element? i am interested in it pretty heavily but the questionable dev decision is keeping me from it

Jinn

Arcane
how intrusive are the always online DRM/gacha element? i am interested in it pretty heavily but the questionable dev decision is keeping me from it

Like I alluded to in that post, these microtransaction/gacha elements don't really seem to be pushed that heavily at all in the game. It might be too early to say, but from what I can tell, the items and "currency" you get to access these elements (rare equipment, skins, etc) are gotten naturally at a fine pace within the actual gameplay. That being said, it hardly seems like any of these elements are actually necessary to use in order to progress in the game in a non-grindy fashion. In other words, they seem entirely optional to me.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It's surprisingly fun, but needs more enemy variety. So far i only found slimes and goblins.
Elemental interaction is brilliant especially when yo switch around characters during one encounter. Freeze them, shock them, burn them, blow them away.

If you use wind skill with fiery grass it will turn into fire blast ish, the tornado become fire cyclone, etc.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kernel driver anti cheat is pretty much common for most modern games.
It is still bullshit,but accepted bullshit.

Current dev notes say that they will disable it when the game is not running, need to wait for a patch.

Tred the game, overall it looks nice and play nice with the elemental interaction, but every character having only 2 skills (1 of them is ultimate/need to build gauge) I wonder if the gameplay would hold up.

Jinn

Arcane
Just a heads up, the first several hours kind of serve as an introductory period to the game. The gameplay and challenge has really started to pick up about 4-6 hours in. You kind of get front-loaded with resources in those opening hours too, which was beginning to be a bit off-putting for me, but it looks like that's evening out too.

The game is absolutely worth giving a solid try.

but every character having only 2 skills (1 of them is ultimate/need to build gauge) I wonder if the gameplay would hold up.

I feel that the fluidity in swapping members in combat, paired with many different elemental synergies you can achieve by doing so, is go to help with keeping the game engaging throughout. While it's not as robust and varied in the skill department as, say, YS VIII (which it is very comparable with in terms of the party system), I feel the environmental interaction mixed with everything else is going to keep it fun and fresh for me for quite awhile. I've already been witnessing them ramping it up in terms of encounter design.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Just a heads up, the first several hours kind of serve as an introductory period to the game. The gameplay and challenge has really started to pick up about 4-6 hours in. You kind of get front-loaded with resources in those opening hours too, which was beginning to be a bit off-putting for me, but it looks like that's evening out too.

The game is absolutely worth giving a solid try.

but every character having only 2 skills (1 of them is ultimate/need to build gauge) I wonder if the gameplay would hold up.

I feel that the fluidity in swapping members in combat, paired with many different elemental synergies you can achieve by doing so, is go to help with keeping the game engaging throughout. While it's not as robust and varied in the skill department as, say, YS VIII (which it is very comparable with in terms of the party system), I feel the environmental interaction mixed everything else is going to keep it fun and fresh for me for quite awhile. I've already been witnessing them ramping it up in terms of encounter design.
About 2-3 hours in because that's the only time a day i can do on weekdays, yeah my main problem is how non challenge anything is. Does enemy variety gets better later? I finished the 3 temples and they are piss easy and only 2 enemy types the moblins and slimes albeit with different elements or equipment, but man they aren't all to exciting to fight.

The best encounter so far is a moblin group with shaman that use elemental attacks and that's where the battle system really shine with tons of stuff happening on screen

Jinn

Arcane
About 2-3 hours in because that's the only time a day i can do on weekdays, yeah my main problem is how non challenge anything is. Does enemy variety gets better later? I finished the 3 temples and they are piss easy and only 2 enemy types the moblins and slimes albeit with different elements or equipment, but man they aren't all to exciting to fight.

Yes, it starts to get a lot better. Those temple runs are essentially character tutorials. Once you get past those, it starts to get better and you start seeing a fair amount more enemy variety. As for overall challenge, I could definitely hope for more, or even an option to increase the difficulty, but the further I get, the more it seems like they are very slowly easing in more challenge. We'll see if it ever get's to the point where I'd like it to be - ie ballbusting - but my guess is probably not. And you know, I might just be ok with that if it continues throwing interesting alternative challenges me way, like trial combats and the like. It's all hard to say this early in still. Also, enjoying the exploration quite a bit. There are a lot of moments where I'm heading somewhere and get distracted several times along the way. That's always a great sign to me.

The best encounter so far is a moblin group with shaman that use elemental attacks and that's where the battle system really shine with tons of stuff happening on screen

Yep, expect a lot more of that coming your way, with a lot more enemies at once. It's a lot of fun.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Gacha element is surprisingly unobtrusive too. I think it's there only if you want more waifus to play with, but i am content with only the story charavters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom