Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Look at that grin, he's having the time of his life.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
zjmv2I2.png

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Is there a list of all the devs at Digimancy?

I saw a few in the threads but was wondering if there was a list anywhere.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if it did turn out to be connected to Tyranny. I wouldn't want Bronze Age/Iron Age RPGs to share the fate of Arcanum, and have a single RPG representing their genre.

After what was done to Numenera I want Adam Heine to stay far away from a Tyranny game or any other game world I like

George has more credibility but Adam has done a lot of damage to franchises as a lead even those he was involved in I do not want to see more from him

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Infinitron since you did a 'Citation Needed', you must not have played Numenera but that is my citation

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Infinitron since you did a 'Citation Needed', you must not have played Numenera but that is my citation
He played it and love it. He loves everything. You give him a pile of shit, he'll eat it and grin, and then praise whoever left that pile. That's Infinitron.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Numerera was terrible and completely missed the good parts of the first game even if they were the same people working on it - unless they were the wrong people

When I saw Adam Heine offering his editing skills online I got sad but had to laugh

Who would pay for such shit work if they had played the game and saw how bad he was? Stay away

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Planescape : Torment set bar so high that it will difficult to reach or surpass it ever again.

Numerera was a mistake.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If you want to know despair consider that the bar set by Torment is that of semi-competence. That's how bad video games are.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
t the bar set by Torment is that of semi-competence
Averaging out the competent writing and incompetent gameplay eh?

No, the writing itself, while superior to low grade fantasy novels, wasn't all that when considered outside the video game medium. I may read a novel with that kind of writing if the story is interesting enough but i probably wouldn't put it on any top ten list. This is not anyone's fault obviously games are an interactive medium good writing ought to be rare as a matter of principle and anyone capable of writing prose on a level with a Jack Vance would hardly end up in a position where he had to write for video games. Just saying.

I think for games it's more important to have a good plot than having good writing. I despise the push of having games imitate movies but i think for most games you need a plot that plays out like a movie script more than a book. Deus Ex has a good plot for instance despite having some dumb writing and retarded voice acting on top of it. Having great prosody is a luxury in most cases unless we are talking about a game that plays out like an interactive novel to begin with, like Torment did.

Last edited:

No, the writing itself, while superior to low grade fantasy novels, wasn't all that when considered outside the video game medium. I may read a novel with that kind of writing if the story is interesting enough but i probably wouldn't put it on any top ten list. This is not anyone's fault obviously games are an interactive medium good writing ought to be rare as a matter of principle and anyone capable of writing prose on a level with a Jack Vance would hardly end up in a position where he had to write for video games. Just saying.

I think for games it's more important to have a good plot than having good writing. I despise the push of having games imitate movies but i think for most games you need a plot that plays out like a movie script more than a book. Deus Ex has a good plot for instance despite having some dumb writing and retarded voice acting on top of it. Having great prosody is a luxury in most cases unless we are talking about a game that plays out like an interactive novel to begin with, like Torment did.

It is a common mistake to assume that a good fiction writer would write well for a game too. There are two properties that make writing good. One is the prose: the choice of words, the flow of the phrase, and it's kind of subjective. Some people prefer simple clear prose, e.g. Hemingway, others think anything simpler than Gene Wolfe is plebeian crap. But the other property is whether the characters and their motivations make sense in the context of the story. This quality of a story is much less subjective, and it's the one that is much more important for a game than prose. A lot of modern sci-fi and fantasy writers can do serviceable prose and even dialogues, but the motivation part trips them up.

It is a common mistake to assume that a good fiction writer would write well for a game too. There are two properties that make writing good. One is the prose: the choice of words, the flow of the phrase, and it's kind of subjective. Some people prefer simple clear prose, e.g. Hemingway, others think anything simpler than Gene Wolfe is plebeian crap. But the other property is whether the characters and their motivations make sense in the context of the story. This quality of a story is much less subjective, and it's the one that is much more important for a game than prose. A lot of modern sci-fi and fantasy writers can do serviceable prose and even dialogues, but the motivation part trips them up.

Which is strange, because I think that character motivations are the easiest part of the writing to get right.

Which is strange, because I think that character motivations are the easiest part of the writing to get right.

Only if you've had some life experience, and met some people who resemble who you're writing about. If everyone you've ever met is a 20-something twitter social warrior, you can't come up with decent motivation for a commander of a mercenary company.

Only if you've had some life experience, and met some people who resemble who you're writing about. If everyone you've ever met is a 20-something twitter social warrior, you can't come up with decent motivation for a commander of a mercenary company.

For some reason there are people who have never meet a commander of a mercenary company and are still able to write one. Writers don't collect people they meet like pokemons so they have a wider array of characters to write about. Write about you know is a horrible advice, given by people without creativity to other people without creativity.

Avarize

Magister
For some reason there are people who have never meet a commander of a mercenary company and are still able to write one. Writers don't collect people they meet like pokemons so they have a wider array of characters to write about. Write about you know is a horrible advice, given by people without creativity to other people without creativity.
Except they didn't suggest writers need to have experience in what they are writing, but that they need to have life experience period. They can then draw upon said experience to flesh out their world and characters, even when writing about a mercenary company, despite never having served in Blackwater.

There's a reason so many great writers have never set foot in an English department.

Yes, but they have met someone who was responsible for other people's life and wellbeing, or someone who has at least served in the army. There's a reason why e. g. the best books about 2nd world War in USSR have been written by officers who served in that war, a phenomenon called "lieutenants prose". Even Tolkien served in WWI. I would read a fantasy book written by someone who has seen war, famine, natural disaster with their own eyes, but not from someone who's biggest life challenge was surviving Trump's first term.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom