Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

There will be Age of Decadence 2?

Sotomonte

Educated
A sequel of AoD where you run a party like in Dungeon Rats instead of just one character? ... I buy it.

:thumbsup:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just tell me how many copies of Colony ship do I need to buy to make it happen. AoD atmosphere fucked with my nostalgia glands like a dick starved succubus.

Falksi

Arcane
Game sequels (the movie industry is different) work best when you have a massive blockbuster like Skyrim or Witcher or BG back in the day. They don't work well for smaller games (XCOM 2, Legend of Grimrock 2, Banner Saga 2-3, Eschalon 2-3, Shadowrun games all sold less than the first game even though some sequels were of higher quality; Deadfire sold less than the first game too) and back then AoD 2 would have sold 60% of what AoD sold at best. 10-15 years later (counting from 2015), running on Unreal 4 - that's a different story.

When we had to make a decision about the next game, we sold 30-40k copies, iirc. Now it's 240k copies. The audience has grown over the years and the rating didn't drop below 81%, which is a good sign. While we don't have any specific plans at this point, we certainly would like to revisit the AoD world one day.

But said "Blockbusters" are usually born out of humble beginnings.

I think you do right to take what you've learned from AoD and keep cycling that through other games until you get said "blockbuster". But that's all most blockbusters are - games, films & music - a honing of earlier ideas under different guises until they reach a sweet spot, and catch on.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I wonder: What would happen if you made AoD2, but named it differently? Maybe it could even be called Age of SomethingElse or SomethingElse of Decadence. If some people are put off by the "2" in a title (and I can see how the "2" can be frustrating to people who haven't played the 1st game), could this solve it? It could also be called something else entirely, of course.
The way I see it, the problem with sequels to non-blockbuster games is that players think it's more of the same, so unless they crave it, they will ignore it. Doesn't matter how you name the game.

I liked AoD and completed it but I don't see how a sequel could be made. The world is fucked. You fuck it up more or become a god by the end. The end. Unless it's a sequel in mechanics only. But isn't that what Colony Ship is?
From an old post on Steam:

"The way the game ends, there isn't much room for a direct sequel. So if we stay in business and get to revisit the AoD world, we'll set the sequel on another continent and give you an opportunity to explore the Qantari culture, see how their fared and what they are up to.

You'd join an expedition sent by House Aurelian shortly before the events of the first game. As in AoD, you'd be able to pick from different backgrounds: a praetor representing House Aurelian, a thief chained to the galley, a merchant representing the Commercium and tasked with establishing a trading outpost, a merc hired to protect the expedition (one of many, of course), a Boatmen assigned to the praetor, etc.

Even though the Qantari were eventually defeated, their own land wasn't touched by the war and didn't suffer any devastation. Since they did manage to retain the knowledge and machines, it would be a land ruled by demigods each with his own priesthood, temples, place in the local pantheon, ambitions, scheming n plotting, etc."

Alternatively, we can pick one ending and go from there. The most interesting one (in terms of potential) would be Gaelius' new kingdom with Paullus as his #2.

Vault Dweller Ever thought about leasing Age of Decadence IP to other studio worthy of such honor?
No. I doubt there's much interest in leasing it either as the sales potential is very low (enough for a small studio, a disaster for anyone else).

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I love how Vault Dweller jumped over my remark about possible Paradox's emails in Iron Tower's gmail spam folder :D

BTW: Love what Iron Tower is doing! Diversity of RPG settings and story themes you plan to explore is amazing and market refreshing. Can't wait for your Human Conquistadors on Alien Medieval Planet [XCOM] and Spanish Inquisition [Darklands] RPGs

Takamori

Learned
As much I want several games from Iron Tower. I just want Colony Ship
giphy.gif

Now as a matter of curiosity, is Colony ship generating enough waves to attract investors in the equation?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Age of Decadence 2 is nice, but I'd also love to play that "occult RPG set during the Spanish Inquisition" Vince mentioned before I die.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the idea of another game set in the AoD world but a different region. It's better than a direct sequel in the same area. It's kinda like what The Elder Scrolls is doing. It offers a completely new experience in a familiar world, rather than re-treading old ground.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Not sure if Ceres Games might do after successful Realms Beyond launch, a spin-off in Age of Decadence. It would be their own antique fallout

Of course JarlFrank is no longer with them, and HobbGoblin left us, so itz just me wondering out loud

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Not sure if Ceres Games might do after successful Realms Beyond launch, a spin-off in Age of Decadence. It would be their own antique fallout

Of course JarlFrank is no longer with them, and HobbGoblin left us, so itz just me wondering out loud

At this rate, freaking Black Geyser may get released before Realms Beyond, so I wouldn't put too much hope in that any time soon.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
We'll see, we'll see! I still have invested hopes in Realms Beyond. Also Ceres Games and Iron Tower devs I can see easily as buddies, maybe they already are. My point: itz a mystery!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller as a penitent marketer, how do you principally see the game-buying public identifying a game as a "sequel"? The inclusion of a 2 after the name, ala Fallout 2, or the common wording ala Shadowrun Returns -> Shadowrun: Dragonfall or through visual similarity of sequels to originals?

If it's wording alone, AoD 2 doesn't need to be a AoD at all. If it's visual similarity, I think you've solved that with the unreal engine.

Just curious your take on what makes a sequel a sequel from the perspective customers not buying them in as high a number.

Binky

Cipher
From Dungeon Rats:
fYXtl6R.jpg

Explore a mystical land ruled by scheming demigods. Turn-based combat, C&C, unique setting. Yeah, I think AoD2 would sell just fine.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller as a penitent marketer, how do you principally see the game-buying public identifying a game as a "sequel"? The inclusion of a 2 after the name, ala Fallout 2, or the common wording ala Shadowrun Returns -> Shadowrun: Dragonfall or through visual similarity of sequels to originals?
I don't think it matters at all because sequels are aimed at the the playerbase of the original first and foremost. Sure, every developer hopes to attract more people but if the original playerbase ignores it, it's dead on arrival.

Just curious your take on what makes a sequel a sequel from the perspective customers not buying them in as high a number.
It doesn't matter what you call it and what you name it. If the playerbase is big enough and if they crave more, a sequel would sell like hotcakes. Even if it sells only 70% of the original, it might still be a very profitable venture.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Explore a mystical land ruled by scheming demigods. Turn-based combat, PARTY-BASED, C&C, unique setting. Yeah, I think AoD2 would sell just fine.

Fixed...

Age of Decadence 2 is nice, but I'd also love to play that "occult RPG set during the Spanish Inquisition" Vince mentioned before I die.

I'd rather have that too but a AoD sequel with a larger budget to make a PST meets ToEE game would be nice.

I love AoD, but I think the universe suffered from too many (often good) ideas articulated poorly. It consisted of too many disparate elements:

1. Pseudo-historical late Roman setting. Main themes: the cycle of civilizations and the organization of social and political life after the fragmentation of authority. While this is was partly inspired by Fallout's main idea, there's an added layer of pessimist meta-historical commentary which is very different. The setting serves as the background for the many interesting character studies, one of the strongest aspects of AoD.
2. Fallout tribute (power armor, post-apocalyptic wasteland, undeground laboratories and vats).
3. Stargate style sci-fi hodge-podge with "it was aliens!" pyramid builders, Ancient Egypt iconography, Arabian astrologers, space ships and super secret hyper-ballistae technology.
4. Dune style philosophical doodlings about men who become Gods.

The strength of Fallout was the consistency of its setting. Characters and factions in AoD are some of the most interesting in RPG land, in some cases they're the best I've seen. But the unfocused nature of the setting undermines it. I guess it's typical for a first game, where developers have many ideas for different games and try to stitch them all together. Remember Ultima had space ships at first until LB realized it was a stupid idea. To mix genres the way AoD attempted, it should be done in an original way that doesn't trivialize its disparate elements but instead shines new light on them. Fallout did this by basically inventing its own brand of retro-futurism. AoD on the other hand, simply alternates one solid idea with many questionable ones. Ancient cultures and religions are such a rich topic begging to be explored, why bring Stargate, Dune or HP Lovecraft into it?

Tbh, I'd like to see Vince and co.'s talents used in other settings. If they make AoD 2, I think it should have a more particular scope.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Kalarion it wasn’t a joke. I find correctly stylized pseudo 2D graphics much superior to 3D. Fallout still excels at its animations and art all these years later.
Fallout's character graphics and animations are all pre-rendered 3D. You could have graphics like that in real time on modern hardware.

Tigranes

Arcane
I loved AOD but I don't need a direct sequel. What matters are the design principles (that also extend to how the writing and C&C design is done), carried on and renewed in interesting ways, which is what CSG does. I wouldn't mind a third game that again uses a different setting, or comes back to the AOD setting but in a very different way.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Imagine Vince’s systems and writing in WW1-era Cairo with all the factions: British, Egyptian, Bedouin, French, etc.

A man can dream..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom