Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
BrotherNone, the lead writer of AAAA RPG from Microsoft. Who would have thought.

(Of course in case that "insider info" is real and WL3 team will be integrated into the main team.)

Flying Dutchman

Learned
BrotherNone, the lead writer of AAAA RPG from Microsoft. Who would have thought.

(Of course in case that "insider info" is real and WL3 team will be integrated into the main team.)

Why would they hire Chad Moore from Wildstar if someone else would be Lead Writer? Not sure of roles here?

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Why would they hire Chad Moore from Wildstar if someone else would be Lead Writer? Not sure of roles here?

Since Infinitron responded with a "what" to this:

1. Chad Moore was narrative lead on Wildstar for 5 million years.
2. Chad Moore is brought in for new inXile project to leave Carbine's dying corpse.
3. Chad Moore is likely (?) narrative lead for new inXile project? I don't know this for sure.
4. If so, whey would they have another person head up the lead writing on the new project vs. someone who has a ton of more (bad) experience?

Admittedly, 3 and 4 are guessing, but that was my point.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

He is Creative Director of the project. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/inxile-general-discussion-thread.99490/page-37#post-5989511

He also worked at Troika.

Lead Artist/Lead Designer
Troika Games
Jun 1999 – Dec 2004

Troika Games was founded by the original creators of the award-winning Fallout franchise, and I was one of a tight-knit group of industry veterans who helped define a game vision and make it a reality. The studio had deep roots in making compelling RPGs, and I was instrumental in IP development, narrative design and content implementation for two of their most successful and innovative games.

PROJECT: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (PC)
• Wrote a compelling main story arc in a modern-day Los Angeles World of Darkness
• Created unique voices and engaging dialog for an edgy collection of complex characters
• Worked directly with White Wolf to ensure accurate representation of the popular V:tM IP
• Modeled high-detail characters for use in Valve's proprietary Source engine.

PROJECT: Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura (PC)
• Collaborated to develop compelling story and lore in a unique fantasy-steampunk setting
• Developed origin stories, quest lines and rich dialog for memorable NPCs and followers
• Implemented engaging game content and scripts using proprietary tools and editors
• Modeled, textured, and animated characters and creatures that resonated with the IP

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I think someone said McComb left Larian after a few months or something.

Was there any clue as to why?

Both McCuck and Gavin Jerkins both look like they got dumped from Larian, but don't know if that was because of pragmatic issues or if it was further proof they both add negative quality to anything they touch.

Obviously, I'm biased, but would love further fuel for my biased opinions so they can blaze brightly.

Edit: A quick look, shows Gavin is now on Overwatch, so I guess that's another point of confirmation to get hired to work on a project that ignores its own "story" as much as possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think someone said McComb left Larian after a few months or something.

Was there any clue as to why?

Both McCuck and Gavin Jerkins both look like they got dumped from Larian, but don't know if that was because of pragmatic issues or if it was further proof they both add negative quality to anything they touch.

Obviously, I'm biased, but would love further fuel for my biased opinions so they can blaze brightly.

Edit: A quick look, shows Gavin is now on Overwatch, so I guess that's another point of confirmation to get hired to work on a project that ignores its own "story" as much as possible.

In Colin's case, his insistence on working from his home in Michigan probably ensured he never could have stayed for very long. I get the impression Larian might have hired all sorts of people with relevant experience at the beginning of development to hash out the game's basic plot, then whittled it down to a "workhorse" team for full production.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
In Colin's case, his insistence on working from his home in Michigan probably ensured he never could have stayed for very long. I get the impression Larian might have hired all sorts of people with relevant experience at the beginning of development to hash out the game's basic plot, then whittled it down to a "workhorse" team for full production.

That's possible, but I thought the Larian core writing team wasn't even in Larian's HQ (weren't or aren't they in Ireland?) so I'm surprised remote is an issue. Did Gavin work on-site then?

Thanks for the answer, it's good to know!

Smerlus

Educated
Having Fallout and Wasteland under the same banner is pretty redundant.

I'm hoping for a FP numa numa or pass Shadowrun to InXile to ride Cyberpunk coattails

cb.spike

Educated
I still think that Fargo trademarking "Van Buren" was not for nothing. That in those days he really tried to figure out some kind of Van Buren Fallout with Bethesda and being snake oil salesman he is, he will try it again in this new situation. And who knows. He might even success this time.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Having Fallout and Wasteland under the same banner is pretty redundant.
Given the state of Wasteland 3 and the popularity of Fallout, I'd be extremely surprised if we ever see another Wasteland, at least for another 30 years, until the next "Hey, what can we remake next?"-wave comes around, and even then it's going to be an afterthought.

Wunderbar

Arcane
They'll probably keep Wasteland as a turn-based rpg-strategy hybrid.
Yeah, because those sell so well compared to Fallout #551 and looks great on the annual corporate report.
the idea behind gamepass is to have as many different genres covered as possible. Fans of Bethesda-style games will have Starfield, Fallout 5, TES6, Avowed, The outer worlds 2, etc.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, because those sell so well compared to Fallout #551 and looks great on the annual corporate report.
the idea behind gamepass is to have as many different genres covered as possible. Fans of Bethesda-style games will have Starfield, Fallout 5, TES6, Avowed, The outer worlds 2, etc.
So? The idea behind Microsoft is profit maximization. A company being bought by a supercorp has never resulted in anything good in the history of gaming. Not even once.

Yoomazir

Educated
So? The idea behind Microsoft is profit maximization. A company being bought by a supercorp has never resulted in anything good in the history of gaming. Not even once.
Gotta feed that Gamepass monthly subscription.

Wunderbar

Arcane
so?
I'm saying that they already have "open world action rpg" niche covered by multiple titles, there is no point in turning an existing IP into another open world action rpg when they could use it to lure turn-based crowd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom