Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I need more Eurojank like Risen and Two Worlds 2

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
code for European Action RPG

no because the term implies a lack of polish, especially as it applies to gameplay mechanics (i.e the action part) hence "jank".

But ELEX and Gothic are pretty good in the gameplay department (okay, not perfect). Can you name another action RPG that has less "janky" mechanics? ELEX & Gothic shit over any Bethesda game gameplay wise (and in general too).

Funposter

Arcane

no because the term implies a lack of polish, especially as it applies to gameplay mechanics (i.e the action part) hence "jank".

But ELEX and Gothic are pretty good in the gameplay department (okay, not perfect). Can you name another action RPG that has less "janky" mechanics? ELEX & Gothic shit over any Bethesda game gameplay wise (and in general too).

bethesda is not the benchmark by which one should judge "jank" because it's at the bottom of the pile, you sweaty nerd.

V_K

Arcane

bethesda is not the benchmark by which one should judge "jank" because it's at the bottom of the pile, you sweaty nerd.
What is then though? Ass Creed? Because Bioware is even worse.
Drakensang: The Dark Eye, obviously.
Nothing janky about those, some of the better RPGs to come out of late 2000s.

V_K

Arcane
Venetica fits the bill perfectly: in European, it's janky, has a unique concept and setting, and it's absolutely worth playing for the things it does well (exploration and level design).

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Okay, how about answering my question then? Name some ARPGs that you think have far superior gameplay mechanics to ELEX and Gothic. As I said, I found the mechanics in these games perfectly fine.

Funposter

Arcane

Okay, how about answering my question then? Name some ARPGs that you think have far superior gameplay mechanics to ELEX and Gothic. As I said, I found the mechanics in these games perfectly fine.

I did not say "superior", I merely mentioned polished. Therefore the answer to the question may not include games of the highest quality but certainly ones which "feel" better. I'd say the Dark Souls games (incl. Bloodborne) certainly qualify, with Demon's Souls maybe falling a bit short. Something like Fable is very simple, but relatively polished. V_K thinks that Bioware games are worse, but Mass Effect 2 never felt particularly clunky or janky, mainly because it stuck to established third person shooter conventions, especially compared to the original Mass Effect. I shat on Bethesda, but I'd say that Fallout 4's gameplay mechanics (which is really just shooting) feel more polished and smooth than anything in ELEX. Morrowind also sort of applies, but that's due to how simple things are (lack pf physics etc. less complex simulation = less things going wrong) and it's sort of ignoring a. the combat and, b. the ability to break things to a ridiculous degree. Morrowind benefits from things like levitation, teleportation etc. to mitigate jank as it applies to movement, getting stuck and so on. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are quite polished on a gameplay level, despite MD having crippling technical flaws which make it a chore to play for more than 30 minutes (crashes etc.). Witcher 3 is an obvious answer since that's a game where things rarely go wrong and the gameplay rarely feels shitty. Dragon's Dogma is also a very good example of polished gameplay with some decently complex systems (climbing monsters being the most important) and it always feels good to run around that world and fight monsters.

I liked ELEX, but my primary memory of it is stunlocking everything I saw with the Plasma Rifle. For more than half of my playtime, that's all the game was.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Okay, thanks for the list. I haven't played most of these games, so probably I don't have a very good basis for comparison then. What I've played was Nehrim (Oblivion mod), Morrowind (playing now), Gothic, ELEX, Witcher 1, well Dark Souls a little bit but I ragequit after a few hours... But I did complete Raise of Tomb Raider which is not an RPG, but an American AAA action game and while the controls were more polished and streamlined, ELEX and Gothic didn't feel terrible in comparison. I'm actually quite fond of the control scheme of Gothic 1, while I admit it took like 15 mins for me to get used to it, once you mastered it the keyboard driven interface is a joy to use compared to many other games. I really like that you can access the inventory and loot without using the mouse.

So, compared to Nehrim/Oblivion and Morrowind PB games seems superior to me (or at least on par in terms of jankiness), but yeah I haven't played W2 and W3 yet, neither DD (they're on my list, though).

In ELEX I had some really hilarious and engrossing emergent gameplay moments, mainly due to the combination of the jetpack and the actually quite decent enemy AI. I remember that island in the middle of a lake with the magic sword hidden under some rock or something, there were these flamethrowing beasts wandering around that were quite good at following you, and I was playing hide and seek with them and trying to take them down one by one with my bow (I played a Berserker so no plasma weapons for me). Good times. I just never had these moments in Nehrim and Morrowind.

V_K

Arcane

I did not say "superior", I merely mentioned polished. Therefore the answer to the question may not include games of the highest quality but certainly ones which "feel" better. I'd say the Dark Souls games (incl. Bloodborne) certainly qualify, with Demon's Souls maybe falling a bit short. Something like Fable is very simple, but relatively polished. V_K thinks that Bioware games are worse, but Mass Effect 2 never felt particularly clunky or janky, mainly because it stuck to established third person shooter conventions, especially compared to the original Mass Effect. I shat on Bethesda, but I'd say that Fallout 4's gameplay mechanics (which is really just shooting) feel more polished and smooth than anything in ELEX. Morrowind also sort of applies, but that's due to how simple things are (lack pf physics etc. less complex simulation = less things going wrong) and it's sort of ignoring a. the combat and, b. the ability to break things to a ridiculous degree. Morrowind benefits from things like levitation, teleportation etc. to mitigate jank as it applies to movement, getting stuck and so on. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are quite polished on a gameplay level, despite MD having crippling technical flaws which make it a chore to play for more than 30 minutes (crashes etc.). Witcher 3 is an obvious answer since that's a game where things rarely go wrong and the gameplay rarely feels shitty. Dragon's Dogma is also a very good example of polished gameplay with some decently complex systems (climbing monsters being the most important) and it always feels good to run around that world and fight monsters.

I liked ELEX, but my primary memory of it is stunlocking everything I saw with the Plasma Rifle. For more than half of my playtime, that's all the game was.
So Japanese console games, a Euro game, a Bethesda game and two Deus Ex's. Mkay.
I mean, I don't even like PB titles, but this whole "Euro games are less polished than Kwan" strawman of an argument is just sad.

Funposter

Arcane
Oblivion exists in a weird world where swinging swords, blocking and casting (on-self and touch) spells feels buttery smooth, but then the act of getting staggered in combat is total dogshit and makes you feel like you're not in control of your character. Jumping is ok until you realise that you have odd directional control in the air, can hop up the sides of mountains and so on, and casting on-target spells has this weird delay which feels really terrible. Add havok physics into the mix, alongside all of the strange NPC behaviour, and you have a good candidate for a demonstration of what "jank" looks like. The game's mechanics don't really exist in perfect harmony.

I mean, I don't even like PB titles, but this whole "Euro games are less polished than Kwan" strawman of an argument is just sad.

which i never said, you illiterate nigger

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Venetica fits the bill perfectly: in European, it's janky, has a unique concept and setting, and it's absolutely worth playing for the things it does well (exploration and level design).

I second that. Venetica would be a game made by Piranha Bytes, if they knew how to design female characters. Or actual cities :P

It may seem fairy tale sweet at first glance due to color scheme and bloom. But the story is pretty dark and allows you to do some bad, bad things.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jumping is ok until you realise that you have odd directional control in the air

Except if you play in 3rd person mode like me, then jumping is hilarious from the start... (there's no transition animation, you just appear mid-air in the next frame)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I second that. Venetica would be a game made by Piranha Bytes

Sounds good, I'll put it on my TODO list.

On a related note, don't you find American colloquialism, spelling and voice acting in medieval/fantasy themed games jarring? Especially the voice acting. I just realised the other day that pretty much all medival TV series and movies that I like were produced in UK/Europe and pretty much everybody in them has a British or foreign accent. Even look at the Games of Thrones cast, there's only 2 or 3 actors with American accents, although it's a series commissioned by Americans.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Venetica would be a game made by Piranha Bytes
Ehhhhh no.

Venetica is a mostly linear game with nowhere the world simulation mechanics PB games have. I quit playing after a while, while PB games are my fav games of all time.

Dodo1610

Arcane
If you really love jank then try out The Fall: Last Days of Gaia it's a german post-apocalyptic RPG.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Venetica would be a game made by Piranha Bytes
Ehhhhh no.

Venetica is a mostly linear game with nowhere the world simulation mechanics PB games have. I quit playing after a while, while PB games are my fav games of all time.

Linear? Venetica makes you choose between 3 distinct guilds (with mutually exclusive quests, skills and powers), features a morality system and numerous choices that affect the endings (there are two, twice the number of Gothic's endings).

I agree world simulation is more developped in Gothics.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Linear? Venetica makes you choose between 3 distinct guilds (with mutually exclusive quests, skills and powers), features a morality system and numerous choices that affect the endings (there are two, twice the number of Gothic's endings).
Ok then.

I did not get that far in the game, but I guess it only opens up after a good chunk gameplay. I played more than a sitting and it was pretty much on rails all the way. Might give it another spin eventually then.

Maxie

Gods: Lands of Infinity

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom