Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play AI Dungeon World Edition | The World of Kedar: An Outcast's Tale

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Playing through the AI Dungeon world of Kedar with Codex bros. What could go wrong?

I'll try to keep the AI as on track as possible, though I can't promise this won't all blow up in my face or that we won't die quickly in some random and vaguely amusing fashion.

The World of Kedar
mUe5CgE.png

Kedar is a world of dragons, demons, and monsters. These dark creatures constantly war for control of the land, leaving the few human kingdoms in the shadow of a dark and powerful force. But now, the kingdoms of man are fighting back, slowly assembling an army to reclaim their world.

Chargen time. Make your picks.

Name:

Choose one as a group or I will randomly generate one.

Character:
1A.
Male
1B. Female

Race:
2A.
Human
2B. Half-Demon

Class:
3A.
Trapper
Trappers track and trap the monsters that infest the world of Kedar. They have learned how to use the natural animal lairs and the beasts own flaws against them. While not a physically powerful profession they are ones that most adventurers seek to hire.

3B. Bard
The bards are the entertainers and storytellers of Kedar. They are full of the stories that the people need to hear about the dangers that face them. A people without stories and songs are a people that can be conquered by their enemies. But the bards also provide the people with hope.

3C. Warden
Wardens are protectors and guardians. Trained to fight in tandem with a dragon or giant, their abilities can turn the tide of any battle.

3D. Ranger
Rangers are the scouts and archers of the army. Their information and warnings are often key to allowing towns to prepare before a big demon onslaught. They are skilled in archery and tracking.

3E. Mage
Mages have learned to control some of the magic that flows through Kedar. They use can control the elements to fight the demons and beasts of the world. While weak in physical health their powers can allow them to accomplish amazing things.

3F. Paladin
Paladins are soldiers of the human army of Kedar. Trained from birth they are the best equipped and best trained soldiers of the human armies. Their faith in their god gives them the strength to face even the most powerful monsters and demons.

3G. Sorcerer
For centuries sorcerers have been the most powerful of the monsters of Kedar. Their powers flow from the ruinous energy that causes Kedar to be such a dark and dangerous place. They are masters of the elements and the demons that inhabit the world.

Starting Location:
4A.
Kedarn
Kedarn is a major kingdom in the world of Kedar. Kedarna is ruled by an Emperor who is trying to gather resources for an army to go defeat the forces of darkness. He has made many pacts with powers in the world of Kedar to help his cause. He has a vast supply of foot soldiers, as well as a highly trained flying cavalry.

4B. Kense
Kense is a human kingdom that managed to fight back against the dark forces of Kedar. Under a wise King, the Kensei forces managed to push back the dark creatures, but at the cost of many lives. Kensei's army is slowly rebuilding, but it will take many years for it to be complete again.

4C. Agadori
Agadori is a small kingdom on the outskirts of Kedar. It has always been on the border of the great realm and are constantly battling the forces of Kedar in hopes of being re-united with their brothers in arms. Agadori is a land of fires and blood, a logging and mining country with a greedy king who rules by fear and greed.

I will pick the starting town within each kingdom, for those who are wondering.

Now, let us begin...

:shredder:

Name: Paorco the Outcast
Race: Half-Demon
Class: Sorcerer
Social Status: Half-Demon Scum
Special: Can now transform into full demon form at will

lIWWvIZ.png

Reyana the human mage of Kedarn.

7dxHYWr.png

Goliath the orc warrior. (Killed by a tentacle monster.)

7ieVk7L.png

Gabri the halfling warrior.

4n1SkKt.png

Galik the elven archer.

xiPBoLA.png

Garth the human priest of Dendrin.

Part 1: A Wizard's Quest
Part 2: Cabin in the Woods
Part 3: More Enemies
Part 4: Savior
Part 5: Awakening
Part 6: Destiny
Part 7: Black Cube
Part 8: Defeat And Victory
Part 9: The End

Last edited by a moderator:

Gonna need some more votes so this doesn’t need to be decided between you two by coin toss.

Also, FYI, I am going to try and limit the player’s starting spell selection if you pick a mage or sorcerer. Don’t think you’ll be casting Wail of the Banshee at level 1. :argh:

Vote results:
1A
4C

These are decided.

Since there are only two voters, I will roll dice between the two of you for choice 2 and 3.

ERYFKRAD = 1 through 10
baud = 11-20

edit:
Congratulations baud

Results:
2B
3G

Part 1: A Wizard's Quest

jelwbEs.png

Kedar is a world of dragons, demons, and monsters. These dark creatures constantly war for control of the land, leaving the few human kingdoms in the shadow of a dark and powerful force. But now, the kingdoms of man are fighting back, slowly assembling an army to reclaim their world.

You are Paorco, a male Half-demon sorcerer in the small village of Tivor. You've been ostracized by your people for your demonic heritage and have been living on the outskirts of the town, living off their scraps. You developed your gift for magic over the years and have come to Tivor in hopes of becoming an apprentice to a powerful wizard. One day as you enter the town a messenger on horseback rides up to you and delivers you a message.

The message is from Master Craxil, the wizard you hope to become an apprentice of. The message says he wants to speak with you immediately in his tower. You're puzzled by this, as Craxil has never spoken to you or anyone else in Tivor before. You decide to go to his tower, hoping it will do you some good.
You walk towards Craxil's tower which rises over the town. You open the door and begin climbing the stairs to the top. Craxil waits for you there, he does not turn to look at you but instead stares out the window at the town bellow. As you reach the last step Craxil turns to face you. He is a powerfully built man with black hair and wearing black robes. A long black beard covers his chest and his dark eyes are filled with wisdom and power.
"So you are Paorco, the outcast," Craxil says, "I have been expecting you."
"You have?" you ask, confused.
"Yes, you have great potential and I need someone with your skills for an important task. One that might restore your faith in humanity."
Craxil tells you of the events that transpired at Kedarn and how they have been repeated in the Kingdom of Kense. Kedarn has been attacked by strange night creatures and some of their forces have been sent to the neighboring Kensei for aid, but now they have been experiencing attacks too. He tells you that the occurrence is most likely not a coincidence and suspects that somewhere within the mountains in Kense there is a summoning circle where these creatures are coming from.
"I want you to find it and destroy it," Craxil says. "Do this and your place on this world will be secured. You will become a hero, Paorco. All of humanity will thank you for your selfless deed."
"How shall I go about finding where this summoning circle is?" you ask.
"You will need to eliminate the creatures within the vicinity and then search the surrounding area. The location of the summoning circle should become apparent, once there, destroy it and break the link between the their world and this one. The rest of your party will meet you at the Kensei city of Alsak, you should travel there now. You will receive your payment along the way, if you need more supplies just let my assistant know."
"What should I expect?"
"The creatures you will face are not like any you have ever faced, nor even any I have faced. They are quick and cunning and come in many shapes and sizes. Some fly on leathery wings, some walk with long scaly legs, some have horns or claws or spines. Some are small but deadly, others are simply large beasts. They come in many different varieties but they share one thing in common, they hate all life and seek to tear it limb from limb. They despise the light and thus swarm over the world during the day. But no matter the type, they will all try to rip you apart, bite you and suck your blood, or simply crush you with their powerful claws, so be careful. You may go. I have other matters to attend to. Let us meet again when your mission is accomplished. Alsak is quite a journey from here, you should head there now."
You receive a small pouch of gold from Craxil and leave his tower to meet your party in Kense.

28b731d519995b0d95e1.jpeg

The city of Alsak is a bit far from the wizard Craxil's tower in Tivor, but you manage to reach it in a relatively uneventful few weeks. The city of Alsak in Kense is a crossroads city with lots of farmers selling their crops and merchants trading their wares. It's is a city built on in the shadow of a dark mountain and rumors have been spreading of strange creatures lurking around the mountains to the north, and recently contact with nearby towns has been lost and they may be under attack or have been destroyed.

You stay in an inn overnight and meet up with the rest of your party the next day. The group consists of 5 members, your self, Gabri, Goliath, Galik, and Garth. Gabri is a skinny Halfling warrior who uses his amazing speed to great advantage on the battlefield. Goliath, is a massive orc who uses his overwhelming strength to destroy his enemies. Galik is an elven archer who uses his keen eyes to find the weaknesses in his enemies, and finally there is Garth, a human priest of Dendrin, he tends to the wounded and lends his aid on the battlefield. Each one of them is a well-seasoned veteran and a master of their field. You are honored to serve beside each one of them.

The group is sitting at a table in the center of the town's tavern, you walk over and sit down.
"Well if it isn't a demon spawn," Garth says with a chuckle.
"Hah, yeah... Nice be working with you too Garth," you say.
"So did you meet with the wizard Craxil?" Gabri asks.
"Yeah, but it was a bit of a letdown," you say while telling the group about your conversation with the wizard Craxil.
"That's messed up man," Gabri says.
"Indeed, but I guess it's par for the course where we come from," Goliath adds.
"Yep, that's true," you say.
"So, what is our plan of attack?" Galik asks.

> You say "Do we even know where the summoning circle is?"
"Craxil said it was in the mountains of Kense near Alsak, but he didn't say where exactly," Gabri says.
"Well what are our options?" you ask.
"We could scout the mountains to the north and look for a dark altar where demons are being summoned," Gabri suggests.
"Or we could ask the Kensei Army for help," Galik says. "
"Oh yes, I'm sure they'll be very receptive of our new half-demon ally," Goliath says with a laugh.
"Well we had better choose quickly, night is falling," Galik says.

A. Scout the dark mountains to the north with your party.
B. Attempt to solicit aid from the army, though it could backfire.

DM's note: Please understand that while I have some control over things, I really don't know what will happen with either choice. :M

Well, that went better than expected.

In keeping with the AI theme, I also went ahead and decided to generate some character portraits for Paorco's new party in Artbreeder:

7ieVk7L.png

Gabri the halfling warrior.

7dxHYWr.png

Goliath the orc warrior.

4n1SkKt.png

Galik the elven archer.

xiPBoLA.png

Garth the human priest of Dendrin.

And yes, all their names start with G. I have no idea why...

Are you using Dragon? The story is far more elaborate compared to the ones I get with Griffin.

Also, A.
Yep. And I set the text output to 100. (100 what I'm not sure, since it clearly returns both less and more than 100 characters at times. 100 bytes maybe...)

I'm also editing or rerolling clear continuity mistakes or stupid things.

For example, the AI thought that Kense was a town at first. Then it randomly tried to pretend there was some new character the protagonist already knew and staged a zombie invasion of the town we traveled to in a single entry, which I rerolled because it's retarded.

That said, the main reason things seem to make more sense is because of the world info - the game's database for permanent story data. The fact that this is a world makes it prepopulate several entries about cities and nations. Then I am also updating the world info entries by hand as we go along (which I believe may be a feature only available to paid users...), for example the party roster.

Lastly, I enabled World Events at the start. This causes a random string of world-affecting events to trigger. The storyline about the summoning circle is a result of this. I had no hand in planning it.

edit: oh, and I used the Author's Note feature to trigger the party conversation and planning scene, since I wanted to introduce the characters a bit and offer the players some sort of opportunity to plan.

Part 2: Cabin in the Woods

BYvcvYA.png

"I agree with Gabri, let's scout the area ourselves. We can leave in the morning," you say.
"Are you sure? I mean we don't even know what we're looking for," Gabri asks.
"We know it's in the mountains around the Kensei city-state and that it involves demons. That should narrow down the search area enough to start with."
The next morning you all set off towards the mountains, riding horses. You pack food and other provisions for the trip.
The mountains are about a day's ride away so you set off at a comfortable pace. You travel in relative silence as you all have different thoughts going through your heads.
About midway through the day, you come across a small cabin beside the road. I wonder if anyone's home...
"Hello!" Gabri shouts as he dismounts from his horse.
There is no reply.
"It's probably some hunter's cabin," Galik says as he also dismounts his horse.
You all ascend the small flight of stairs onto the deck and approach the cabin. It looks like the door was smashed open.
"Hello?" Gabri says, approaching the cabin.
The inside of the cabin is a disaster zone. There is broken glass everywhere and the furniture is smashed up.
"What the hell happened here?" Gabri asks.
Suddenly, you hear a deep growl. You turn around to see a werewolf standing at the foot of the stairs.
"Get back!" Galik shouts, drawing his sword.
The werewolf lets out a roar and leaps forward. It flies through the air and hits Galik, knocking his sword from his hands. The others quickly draw their own weapons and begin attacking. The werewolf is strong and quickly bats away your attacks, but doesn't attack you, instead focusing on Galik. It seems to have recognized him as the leader.
"Get it off! Get it off!" he shouts as the werewolf claws at him.
You see your opportunity and stab it in the side, distracting it from Galik. It turns to look at you and howls, showing a mouthful of teeth. You can see its eyes are an unsettling red.

A. Run.
B. Try to dodge its attacks and slash at it with your dagger.
C. Cast Firebolt
D. Cast Crown Of Madness and have it focus on Goliath instead
E. Attempt Werewolf Diplomacy

Ah thank goodness.

I was worried I'd have to tag people to get a tie breaker.

Votes will close in around an hour or two max.

Ok, C it is.

Now we see how casting a low-level spell at a werewolf that's right in your face works out. :M

Vatnik Wumao
In my experience, the AI prioritizes fire based spells, making them very effective. Magic missile does hardly anything though.

Part 3: More Enemies

VlbpT2K.png

You take a deep breath and channel the power of your ancestors to create a ball of fire in your hands. You hurl it forward at the werewolf, which howls as it is set alight and begins to tear at its skin to get rid of the flame. It runs off into the forest, still burning.
"Alright, alright! Another victory for us!" Garth says, raising his fists in the air victoriously.
"Galik!" you call out. "Are you alright?"
He stands and brushes the dirt off his armor.
"I'm fine," he says.
"We need to keep going," you say.
"The mountains are up ahead," Galik says.
Galik's eyes dart to the left, and you follow his gaze. You see two glowing red eyes looking at you from the bushes.
"There's one of those demons!" you say loudly, readying your spell.
The creature steps out of the bushes, revealing itself to be a bizarre combination of animal and man. It stands on two legs, but its hands have transformed into horrible claws. It's covered in brown fur, but wears no clothing. It's face is akin to a bear's, but when it opens its mouth to roar you see a pair of large, sharp fangs. You hurl a fire bolt at the creature, which sets it alight. The creature begins to panic as its fur catches fire and howls in pain, rolling around on the ground. You and Galik approach the creature and finish it off with a couple of swings of your weapons.
"Those demons seem really scared of fire," Galik remarks.
"Good, because I'm really scared of them," you say.
Suddenly, you hear a woman's scream from close by. You turn and see one of the demons, this one resembling a hairless human, sprinting away from your position. The five of you chase after the creature.

You find a woman pinned under the body of a demon. The creature looks almost like a large, hairless bear, but with longer claws and a larger mouth filled with teeth. The woman seems to be a mage, dressed in a flowing blue robe that's torn almost beyond recognition. She screams as the monster bares down on her with its teeth, ready to take a chomp out of her head. Her long red hair is matted with blood and dirt. Her face is scratched and bruised. She seems disoriented and shocked. Despite her injuries, you can tell she is beautiful.

xG58puT.png

The five of you ready yourselves and prepare to attack.

A. The beast looks too strong for you, you decide to leave the woman to her fate. You tell everyone to retreat and head back to the path. You can't endanger the mission for one girl.
B. There are 5 of you and one demon and you're not about to turn your back on a woman in need. Plus, if she's a mage, maybe she'll be able to help you in your mission.

IAJrBbu.jpg

In my experience, the AI prioritizes fire based spells, making them very effective. Magic missile does hardly anything though.
I've used magic missile to kill multiple enemies at once. It's actually pretty OP.

That said, fire does seem a bit imbalanced in this setting. I guess being on fire does hurt quite a bit. Maybe D&D should take this into account...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom