Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Baldur's Gate

What is the best way to play Baldur's Gate for the first time?

• Play the original without any mods

• Big World Project

• BG: Enhanced Edition

• Something else (see post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

laclongquan

Arcane
Unless you know which to avoid, which you dont as that is your first game.

Casting "Detect traps" doesn't help?
If that is your first game, first run mage player would be too impressed with magic arrows, shocking burst, melf acid arrow etc spells to be making use of detect trap/alignment/evil etc kinda spells.

bec de corbin

Educated
There's a mod that removes the bgee companions if they bother you. I know there's something to be said for purity of experience but I always have trouble getting the original baldur's gate running, unfortunately.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
There's a mod that removes the bgee companions if they bother you. I know there's something to be said for purity of experience but I always have trouble getting the original baldur's gate running, unfortunately.

Even the GoG versions? Sounds really strange.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't think you can buy non-EE GoG versions anymore... [and yes, they ran perfectly on modern machines]

bec de corbin

Educated
I don't think you can buy non-EE GoG versions anymore... [and yes, they ran perfectly on modern machines]
You get the original with EE if you buy on GoG, just like the other beamdog stuff. I might give the gog version of bg1 a try then to see if it works better

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks for the info. I bought the non-EE GoG BG1 version years ago and it worked perfectly, even on Linux. The widescreen mod and Unfinished Business installed properly, too...

A horse of course

I just tried the old GoG version of BG1 and it worked fine out of the box aside from minor visual bugs with the fog of war and slight artifacting around some spell effects. Running through dxwnd fixed those, but to be honest it doesn't bother me anyway. The only mod I bothered installing is Unfinished Business and it's hardly essential. I know people regard the widescreen mods as mandatory, but personally I'm happier playing at the correct zoom level with the original UI, and just ignore the black bars at the side.

Maybe the remastered original background assets make BG2 EE worthwhile, but BG1 EE is definitely a no-no unless you absolutely cannot get BG1 working at all.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
EE areas completely destroy immersion because of this shitty black void at the edges of the maps. Not recommended.

A horse of course

Minor point, but has anyone been able to get EAX working in BG1? I installed ALchemy (it's been a while), pointed it at the install directory and enabled, but the Environmental Audio option is still grayed out in options.

EE areas completely destroy immersion because of this shitty black void at the edges of the maps. Not recommended.
I particularly despise the new cutscenes. They have no charm at all.

I wish the original assets were never lost and we got a Baldur's Gate HD instead. All of the stuff Beamdog added/changed in the EE is pretty much just trash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom