Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of Decay 2

kalganoat

Savant
Are they gonna make an enhanced version a few months later and charge full price again?

spectre

Arcane
It appears to be Windows 10 only, so yeah, I don't think I love it enough.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
State-of-Decay-2-Gameplay-Footage-Part-10-Base-Community-Basics-2018-05-21-11-21-18.mp4_000002429.jpg

State-of-Decay-2-Gameplay-Footage-Part-10-Base-Community-Basics-2018-05-21-11-21-18.mp4_000376953.jpg

Was released previously on Windows Store.

Fun game 8/10. If you like the first one you will love the second one.

State of Decay 2 is an open-world survival-fantasy game set just after the zombie apocalypse. Your small community of survivors seeks to rebuild a corner of civilization, and you get to make all the decisions about how that happens.

You decide who to recruit to your team, where to settle your community, how to fortify and upgrade your base, and when it’s time to move to greener pastures. You select which survivor to bring along on a scavenging run for the food and ammo you need, and who you’ll use to fight off the zombies attacking your base. You choose how you’ll deal with other people who move into your town. Will you be friendly and welcoming... or will you aggressively defend your territory?

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I tried getting into the first game after hearing good things about it, but I quit after a few hours. The rate at which the zombies spawned was incredibly annoying.

You couldn't explore anywhere without having to constantly fight them, and then they would just respawn way too quickly.

Eddard Stark

Educated
I quite liked the first one, got a refund 30 minutes into the campaign with this one. Boring, buggy, ugly, uninspiring.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Doesn't this belong to the RPG section since it has companions and skils that improve by learning by doing?
State of Decay 2 is far from perfect but it can be a really enjoyable time sink. I just hope that their next game finally gets polishing now that they are owned by MS, because the concept has a lot of potential.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
This game is the best CRPG since Fallout 3.

What's changed between this and the first game?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The first one was one of my favorite games of all time but every expansion or sequel they produce just seems to piss people off more and more.

Western game industry in a nutshell.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I hear this is more buggy and has even less story material than the first? Is it just an aimless, never-ending sandbox now?
There is a story mode set on the map of the first game.
As far as bugs go the only gamebreaker was getting stuck on geometry near the edges of the map which a save and quit fixed.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I hear this is more buggy and has even less story material than the first? Is it just an aimless, never-ending sandbox now?
The story/campaign in SoD 1 was piss easy and uninteresting. Breakdown (endless mode) was the only fun to be had.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
SoD 2 works well under windows 7. You just need some windows update(just google that) and it work pretty good.
Tested by myself.

Played a bit of this on gamepass yesterday with a friend Some of the design decisions on this game are just mind-boggling. Why the fuck can't you and your coop partners be members of the same community? Your buddies are always "guests", and they can never interact with the base or talk to people. Since base building is a significant aspect of the game, this kills about half the fun - while one person is working out the base stuff, the others can only sit there holding their dicks in their hands. They can't even go out to do shit on their own because the game has a stupid tether mechanic that teleports the guests to the hosts whenever they stray farther than 450m.

There was the potential for a cool game here, but holy shit, this is some brain-melting retardation.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I've been playing it a bit on Gamepass myself. It kept my interest for one playthrough (which took less than 20 hours, I think?), but I'm on my second playthrough now and I'm not sure that I will finish it.

I think my biggest problem with it is that there doesn't seem to enough unique events. For example, I'm currently playing on the desert map which has a hospital on a plateau that you can see from miles away. It seems to be beckoning you to explore it. Yet, when you get there, while it has more crates to loot than usual, there's nothing really special about it beyond that. I was hoping for some site-specific monster or a cool survivor to recruit--something!

I guess there are all of the unique survivor camps that spawn. There could be something cool going on with them, but I wouldn't know because the way that they constantly pester you for supplies and help just makes me want to murder them (especially when they get all passive aggressive when you don't immediately drop what you're doing to assist).

I also wish that there was more granularity in the difficulty settings. Yes, there are separate settings for "Action", "Community", and "Map", but I'd like to be able to do something like get rid of basic zombies and special zombies, leaving only plague zombies, while also making the plague zombies tougher.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom