Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Never trust Blizzard.

Ever again.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
door-milan-cathedral-italy-27498276.jpg

^this is diablo

sds5whimsydale.jpg

Mazisky

Magister
They are really trying hard to listen feedback this time, considering that this is the first time I Blizzard saying officially "Our system is crap, you right so we are making it how you want it", they are really desperate to earn back some lost audience.

This combined with Witcher 3 devs for narrative department may be that we will get good gameplay and narrative at least

OctavianRomulus

Learned
The game looks like Diablo but am I the only one who thinks the actual fidelity is a bit lackluster? It looks like a game that could have come out 4 years ago.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Fun fact: There is no Gothic architecture in the original Diablo, it's all Romanesque, which predates Gothic. Gothic is also not dark, it is exactly the opposite. Because of flying buttresses, walls could be thinner, which meant they could be higher and have bigger windows. The idea that light is holy (especially colored light) comes from that period. What people seem to want is the Romantic concept of Gothic, which is embellished, melodramatic and indulgent and is not very realistic. I'm not saying this is bad at all, just that it's not exactly real. What is important is that it feels real. In the video game realm, I think Anor Londo is a great example. It's obviously fantasy but it has just enough real elements that it feels like a real place. The idea that Gothic is "dark" comes from the Renaissance, which saw the style as excessive and a relic of a darker era so the term is actually pejorative.

What I am saying is, a good Diablo game is not necessarily realistic, but it needs to feel realistic. And you do that by using more realistic proportions and elements of real architecture but you don't need to be zealous about nitty gritty details. So you can have your fake studded leather "armor" and flails. Most people won't be able to tell they are not real and will probably be fooled as long as the proportions are realistic, maybe even a bit exaggerated for more epic stuff.

My ideal Diablo game would be like The Name of the Rose movie but with demons and conspiracies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPpQg8S2-w

What's wrong with flails?

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Fun fact: There is no Gothic architecture in the original Diablo, it's all Romanesque, which predates Gothic. Gothic is also not dark, it is exactly the opposite. Because of flying buttresses, walls could be thinner, which meant they could be higher and have bigger windows. The idea that light is holy (especially colored light) comes from that period. What people seem to want is the Romantic concept of Gothic, which is embellished, melodramatic and indulgent and is not very realistic. I'm not saying this is bad at all, just that it's not exactly real. What is important is that it feels real. In the video game realm, I think Anor Londo is a great example. It's obviously fantasy but it has just enough real elements that it feels like a real place. The idea that Gothic is "dark" comes from the Renaissance, which saw the style as excessive and a relic of a darker era so the term is actually pejorative.

What I am saying is, a good Diablo game is not necessarily realistic, but it needs to feel realistic. And you do that by using more realistic proportions and elements of real architecture but you don't need to be zealous about nitty gritty details. So you can have your fake studded leather "armor" and flails. Most people won't be able to tell they are not real and will probably be fooled as long as the proportions are realistic, maybe even a bit exaggerated for more epic stuff.

My ideal Diablo game would be like The Name of the Rose movie but with demons and conspiracies.

They don't exist or if they did they weren't very practical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox4sCJnCpzo

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

:mhd:

Codex Year of the Donut

They don't exist or if they did they weren't very practical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox4sCJnCpzo
Yes, they did. They were hinged weapons, they are mentioned in plenty of historical martial arts manuals.
For example, the classic technique where you boop your enemy on the butt with the spiky part.
MS-Dresd-C-93-222r.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
You guise are really funny.

Blizzard and Christianity?

"No blizz, you cant do that, we chinese are too occupied killing christians, this will remind people that Christianity exists."
"No blizz, you cant do that, we muslim are too accupied killing christians,this will remind people that Christianity exists."
"No blizz, you cant do that, we commies are too occupied helping out our muslim allies to kill christians because we are too dumb or too power hungry to notice we will be the next on the chopping block, this will remind people that Christianity exists."

Blizz: Okay guise, no christianity, we still want your money too and most christians are too dumb to notice you guys want to kill them anyway, so they wont complain.

The game looks like Diablo but am I the only one who thinks the actual fidelity is a bit lackluster? It looks like a game that could have come out 4 years ago.

Yeah, it doesn't look bad, but it also doesn't look like one of the biggest upcoming games either...which it is. Visually it doesn't really seem to look any better than that The Ascent game, which is some little indie title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom