Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Dev Diary - Dice System Preview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is launching on Early Access this month, but Myzzrym from Tactical Adventures found the time to put together one final dev diary video. It's a brief introduction to the game's highly customizable dice roll system, which will allow players to choose whether dice rolls should be visible during dialogue, combat, exploration and so on. You'll even be able to customize the color of the dice, each d20 individually. Besides that, the video also offers a glimpse at some new content from the upcoming release.

Very prestigious.

Dyspaire

Cipher
I like to think I'm not too terribly picky a gamer, but lord do I despise modern-looking, OS-inspired user interfaces in fantasy crpgs.

It breaks my... what's the word I'm looking for...

Just seems very lazy, and a missed chance at some artistic expression and flourish within your game.

2c

I like to think I'm not too terribly picky a gamer, but lord do I despise modern-looking, OS-inspired user interfaces in fantasy crpgs.

Just seems very lazy, and a missed chance at some artistic expression and flourish within your game.
2c
It's something I constantly disliked in most Amplitude titles as well.
An UI that tries to be "sleek" by looking like a toolset rather than being organic with the style of the game.

Dyspaire

Cipher

2c
An UI that tries to be "sleek" by looking like a toolset rather than being organic with the style of the game.

You wouldn't think UI aesthetics would be so distracting. So much of Solasta looks so very promising, including the dice debuted here, very neat.

I keep hoping one of these update videos is going to show an art pass over the UI. It's currently quite a jarring aesthetic choice. To me at least.

I never realized that so many of the other recent offenders were made by the same company. Interesting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You'll even be able to customize the color of the dice

Yeah we are lucky to be blessed by such groundbreaking features. If this is worth a news post we live in sad times.

Very prestigious.

Prestigious games use hexes and not plebeian squares. Furthermore it has no art direction and the Dragon Age aesthetic really gives it a cheap look.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

2c

I think there are two ways of looking at it: 1) if you have a UI that has the same functionality but a more "in-world" appearance (diegetic), that can add to immersion, but then 2) a modern looking UI sets the decisions you make at something of a distance from the game world, kind of like a meta or neutrality thing, which could be good or bad depending on the individual.

Normally I'm a big fan of immersive and diegetic UIs, but for some reason the sleek modern UI in this doesn't annoy me.

I do agree that the art design in the game is a bit bland and uninspired though. For some reason developers find it very hard to find the middle ground between mediaeval sim and that execrable gigantic spikey shoulderpads look. You want the thing to look largely mediaeval, but you also want a bit of flair and weirdness here and there.

Gargaune

Magister
This is coming along nicely, but I'm a little confused, why isn't it called Baldur's Gate something? I thought D&D-based games were all called Baldur's Gate now.

2c
Same boat, I like skeumorphics in my fantasy RPGs. The clash between the pseudo-medieval scene being depicted and the modern interface is jarring.

The different coloured dice is such a nice touch.
Why is everyone so taken with dice animations all of a sudden? A decent action log is much more useful and less intrusive, in my opinion. Is it a tabletop flavour thing? And if so, are beer stain overlays for your character sheet next? I mean, I'm not complaining, to each their own and these guys let you turn them off, but I don't understand the fascination.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gsus, another solasta update! What's the running number? 88?

'tron, you seem to be as obsessed with this game as Kalin is with you. :shittydog:

Sin2x

Scholar
Adds too much visual clutter and detracts from what is actually going on. And their interface is still as bland and generic. Faggots.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

2c
IDK if they'll change it, but a LOT of people told them. I remember I did the early beta and commented on it and I wasn't the only one. I REALLY hope they see the light and change it.

elverkongen

Learned
are beer stain overlays for your character sheet next?

This is... actually an awesome idea. I would love to see this as an optional UI style, just a straight-up table-top look: beer stains, coffee stains, some character drawing doodles (like Exile/Avernum).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I never realized that so many of the other recent offenders were made by the same company. Interesting.

As I said in some prvious Solasa updates - looks like cathgory of beauty completely evaporated form the society whey are living in. Or they are faggots, yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom