Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

Sentinel

Arcane
is there anything to be disappointed about with this entry?
lack of QoL features introduced by later entries.
- Something as simple as being able to see skill descriptions when fusing is absent.
- Being able to pick what skills to inherit is not in the game.
- Can't re-order skills.
- The game's agility formula is completely broken and is not being fixed (AGI gains only trigger effects every 13 points).
- 100%-ing the Compendium unlocks a 50% discount on all demons, which carries over to NG+. In order to 100% it, you need to recruit Dante/Raidou. However, these motherfuckers permanently occupy one of your party slots and cannot be summoned from the Compendium in NG+. You can't fuse them either.
- Demons not in the frontline party don't gain EXP.
- Fiend fusions usually override other demons' fusions, which can be a problem if you want to fuse a specific non-Fiend.
- Fusing Metatron is a painfully expensive and annoying ordeal for no gain cause the game is over anyway.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I believe they said they're removing the "homophobia", like that one shopkeeper.

In regards to "small dialogue changes."

lightbane

Arcane
I believe they said they're removing the "homophobia", like that one shopkeeper.

In regards to "small dialogue changes."

The world dies and everyone is a demon John, but this matters, of course. Who would that shopkeeper be, by the way? The creepy weirdo guy selling items in exchange of gems that showed up in previous games at points IIRC? :kneads hands:
The creepy-by-design old man Mido, who lets you fuse demons?
The Jack Frost who later on becomes a Black Frost and then attacks you for no reason? :troll:

I wonder how would journos react if they knew about Reason of Yosuga and Chiaki's ultimate fate.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Feeling the itch to go through SMT again. Been a few years. I always liked Chimera, Bicorn, and Chatterskull. Maybe i'll do a run with that team. Or with all slimes. Revenge of the low-level RPG mon.

lightbane

Arcane
In order to 100% it, you need to recruit Dante/Raidou. However, these motherfuckers permanently occupy one of your party slots and cannot be summoned from the Compendium in NG+. You can't fuse them either.

This might be a thing exclusive of the Maniax edition I still have to play, but I've seen videos where you can simply put D/R into your party stock, which can be surprisingly spacious, they don't need to be in your active party. Failing that, they patiently wait for you to get them in a specific location in case you need to kick them out, so it is fine. Fusing them is obviously a no go, main characters other than Chaos retards never fuse with demons willingly.

remaster huh? English PC release in the future?

Let's hope so, it would be cool to see future SMT games and other Atlus ones in PC, not just Persona crap.

lightbane

Arcane
Goddamn it, I was joking
I think I found what is being change. Particularly, one of the vendor mannikins that is gay.

The Junk Shop Manikin is one of the few Manikins who have some distinctive abilities, in his case, running a business. He shares these trait with the Collector Manikin, who also opens shops of his own in Asakusa and the Tower of Kagutsuchi. From Ikebukuro onwards, he takes charge of the Junk Shop chain after its previous "owner," the Jack Frost identifying himself as Heeho, left in his quest. He also introduced the Lucky Ticket mechanic.

He often exaggerates his mannerisms and proclaims his pride in his "alternative lifestyle." Despite these affectations implying he is actually gay, he will ask if the Demi-Fiend considers him a "queer" when shopping in Ikebukuro, and will instantly get offended for those assumptions

The world is dead and the closest thing to humans are possessed mud dolls, but still, we must not offend them, hurr!

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/shi...turne-hd-remaster-details-dlc-side-activities
DLC talk.. Pretty barebones DLC actually.. Oh also QuickSave , Boss Rush for points and New Game+ but nothing about skill inheritance fix.

Downloadable Content (Japanese release dates)

• October 29
    • “Merciful” Difficulty (Free) – Adds the low difficulty mode “Merciful” for those who want to easily progress through the story.
    • Maniax Pack (980 yen) – By selecting “New Game: Maniax” from the title screen, Dante from the Devil May Cry series will replace Raidou Kuzunoha in every scene he appears in.
    • Little Master’s Mercy (350 yen) – Enables access to a dedicated map where you can battle to earn as many level-up items, “Heavy Grimoires,” and “Light Grimoires” as you like.
    • Master’s Expectations (350 yen) – Enables access to a dedicated map where you can battle to earn as many items as you like that can be redeemed for Macca at the shop.
  • November 5
    • Vortex World BGM Change Pack 1: Shin Megami Tensei (220 yen) – The two background songs that play on the world map and in battle can be changed to that of Shin Megami Tensei at any time in the configuration menu.
    • Vortex World BGM Change Pack 2: Shin Megami Tensei II (220 yen) – The two background songs that play on the world map and in battle can be changed to that of Shin Megami Tensei II at any time in the configuration menu.
    • Vortex World BGM Change Pack 3: Shin Megami Tensei IV (220 yen) – The two background songs that play on the world map and in battle can be changed to that of Shin Megami Tensei IV at any time in the configuration menu.
    • Vortex World BGM Change Pack 3: Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (220 yen) – The two background songs that play on the world map and in battle can be changed to that of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse at any time in the configuration menu.
Side Activities

• Puzzle Game – A mini-game you can play in Asakusa. You can get some useful items by clearing all 20 stages.
  • Burial Chambers – A chamber in which there is a tombstones engraved with the name of a boss demon you have previously defeated. Several of these chambers exist in the Labyrinth of Amala. If you have a certain item, you can battle that boss once again in the chamber. If you win within a pre-set number of turns, your high score will be logged on the tombstones. Give it a shot if you are confident in your ability. And you may get something good out of defeating every boss…
  • Multiple Playthroughs After you clear the story, you can start a second playthrough while carrying over your Demonic Compendium data. Additionally, from the second playthrough onward, you can choose to wear a leather jacket in addition to the protagonist’s initial hooded parka.
  • Quick-Save – While playing, you can choose to quick-save at any time from the menu screen. If you have a quick-save, you can continue where you left off from the “Continue” option on the title screen.

lightbane

Arcane
Burial Chambers – A chamber in which there is a tombstones engraved with the name of a boss demon you have previously defeated. Several of these chambers exist in the Labyrinth of Amala. If you have a certain item, you can battle that boss once again in the chamber. If you win within a pre-set number of turns, your high score will be logged on the tombstones. Give it a shot if you are confident in your ability. And you may get something good out of defeating every boss…

Wasn't that in the base game already? What exactly did change?

• Multiple Playthroughs After you clear the story, you can start a second playthrough while carrying over your Demonic Compendium data. Additionally, from the second playthrough onward, you can choose to wear a leather jacket in addition to the protagonist’s initial hooded parka.

And so was this. Is New Game+ something to highlight now?

• Quick-Save – While playing, you can choose to quick-save at any time from the menu screen. If you have a quick-save, you can continue where you left off from the “Continue” option on the title screen.

That's a Suspend save, not a Quick-Save. :decline:

• Little Master’s Mercy (350 yen) – Enables access to a dedicated map where you can battle to earn as many level-up items, “Heavy Grimoires,” and “Light Grimoires” as you like.
  • Master’s Expectations (350 yen) – Enables access to a dedicated map where you can battle to earn as many items as you like that can be redeemed for Macca at the shop.

So, basically cheats then.

deuxhero

Arcane
That's a Suspend save, not a Quick-Save. :decline:

Term has been in use since at least the GBA era.
rvEeaT7.png

B2zeNW9.png

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Hopefully the DLC tracks will also be in super compressed quality to fit with the rest of the "REMASTERED"'s soundtrack. :lol:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unless you really want to play with full VA I don't see any reason to buy this tbh. The graphic remaster is just, what, okay at best?

The QoL stuff is nice I guess.

I think this is more of something people that never play the game at all might want to buy when they hear this "good classic games" or something.

I'd buy it in an instant if it only had skill inheritance. That's it. That's all I want.

I had already been spoiled by later games in the series by the time I got around to Nocturne and went to a lot of trouble creating a custom pcsx2 cheat-file that would allow me to edit my demon's skills and stats. I can't go back to the way vanilla works now.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Unless you really want to play with full VA I don't see any reason to buy this tbh. The graphic remaster is just, what, okay at best?
What remaster? As far as I can tell they just upped the internal resolution of the game and used the same models and textures with no changes

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the environment looks much crisper in the trailer? Might be the same texture which just look better due to HD I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom