Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Premier gives full art lands. Look for the "Limited Time Offer" logo thingie. Quick draft doesn't have that, so you ain't getting nun.
It also shows on zendikar pack purchases in the store.

Jesus H Christ, I'm going to fucking pop a vein after playing a few Zendikar drafts. Actually get a few decent looking decks and then I come up against "Well I'm playing 4 colors but I had a turn 1 on the play crab and I had an on-curve untapped mountain and my spikefield in hand so your landfall cat is removed GG" and "Well I drafted mono-blue because I've got 4 cards to refill my hand and removal and I can just steal your biggest threat and when you have a wide board I have a convenient -2/-0 all opponent's creatures in hand GG". Not sure if it's just the Zendikar set itself or if I'm coming up against some obscene shit but that's without a doubt the angriest I've gotten playing MTG in a long fucking time.

On the upside, the raredrafting went fairly well. Nothing I actually used in the draft itself unlike my cocksucking opponents with on-curve rare Orzhov cleric so his entire board is unkillableASOGTUIHEATO but I got a dual land and a Jace and some shit. The dual lands in particular seem really good. I'd almost say they're better than shocklands, though that's mainly for standard since they don't have the basic land types for pulling out with fetches and shit.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
drake roost and crab are quite insane as far as draft goes. If any resolves on turn1 its gg usually

Drake yes. I have beaten drake before, but it is always a chore playing from behind. That 4 mana landfall cat enchantment is much stronger tho.

Crab is not that strong. I have stomped out crab decks hard and my 3 crab draft went 3-3
The format has 2 mana 3+ damage at common on multiple cards in red.

spectre

Arcane
Jesus H Christ, I'm going to fucking pop a vein after playing a few Zendikar drafts. Actually get a few decent looking decks and then I come up against "Well I'm playing 4 colors but I had a turn 1 on the play crab and I had an on-curve untapped mountain and my spikefield in hand so your landfall cat is removed GG"
Yeah, I have more or less the same experience. Whenever I get this good feeling that I'm finally building something consistent, I get an embarassing 0:3 out of it. One time I had a rather epic landfall deck that could consistently get all five colors on board, build a massive Ashaya then fling it at the opponent... but never drew any of its pay-offs, three opponents in a row just milled me to oblivion, dumping all my removal in the process.
Another time, the opponent needed to draw exactly one specific card to turn the tables on me. Lo and behold, next turn topdeck is hasted Schorch Rider hitting ass and leg for four.

On the other hand, I got satsfactory results (4:3 5:3) just raredrafting like a motherfucker.

but dont you consider it misleading after godzilla lands in quick draft and after saying that new lands will be awarded in 'limited'?
Did it say you will be getting full art lands on the event screen? It's WotC, caveat emptor always. Never assume a thing with these fuckers.

Crab is not that strong. I have stomped out crab decks hard and my 3 crab draft went 3-3
The format has 2 mana 3+ damage at common on multiple cards in red.
Which sounds good when you have like 4-5 of them in your deck. Until ALL OF THEM GET MILLED BY THE FUCKING TURN 1 CRAB AWEOUGAHWTOUAWTHAWT
I enjoy mill in constructed since it's honed decks facing one another. In limited it drives me insane since not only are you running jank, your clock's 20 cards shorter.

On the other hand, I got satsfactory results (4:3 5:3) just raredrafting like a motherfucker.
Got me beat, my two drafts have been 3-3 and 0-3. The 0-3 being the stronger deck, of course. Lots of good landfall cards, good removal since I was in Gruul and had both some burn and creature fight cards, and then it completely face planted against mill and weird mono blue control and Orzhov clerics.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Decided to return to mtga on a whim, done a couple of weeks of lazy ZNR draft - mostly Traditonals as they're the best payoffs for the player of my skill. For example, look at this 3-0 deck:
WjAUKzGT0h0.jpg

The funniest thing here is that p1p1 was Jace and p1p1 & p1p2 also had Spoils of Adventure. So, having passed them, I really didn't want to go into UW, because surely it would get taken. But since both of those wheeled (!) and, in pack 3, another Spoils wheeled (I intentionally let it go, knowing it would return)... The deck is not even that strong per se but you just drown enemies in CA and/or you draw enough lands reliably for a crab to never miss his mill trigger - I won half my games through millings.

PGnq0hlhfZo.jpg

This one is kinda mediocre BR tempo but it still was enough. I guess removal & beats do the trick.

-B5xT0vyyOE.jpg

This one is 2-1 but with 4 mythics drafted that's, like, whatever. Opened the Smashing myself, rest are 2+ picks. Akiri is also a p1p3 which is weird - she's definitely worth forcing as she wins any games where you draw her and any equipment. Passing Lithoform Engine is a dubious choice, btw, and maybe I should've even played it - my deck is a bit too fast for it but cloning your best permanent each turn is no joke.

o0KNB6PL9pE.jpg

Really fun 3-color clerics. I came to love the Supplies in this format - you draft them late and they're very easy to squeeze into play as turns where you're having that spare 2 mana with nothing better to do are a bit too plentiful. And the entirety of ZNR is so built on having much of the same (lots of lands or creatures of the same type) that card advantage becomes golden. Despite being a bit too filler-ish, easy 3-0.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Passing Lithoform Engine is a dubious choice, btw, and maybe I should've even played it - my deck is a bit too fast for it but cloning your best permanent each turn is no joke.

you can only clone creatures when they're on the stack with lithoform right? I picked that card up in 2 or 3 drafts but never drew it so never had a chance to play with it :(

boros warriors are so damn good you can just roll over people in three turns. blademaster is nuts and expedition champion is so strong. I think 4 power is the number that you want in this set and boros warriors gets there easily

surprised you passed Jace, that card's crazy good
drafted BR once and it didn't work out, but yours looks better; think I didn't grab enough removal
drafted clerics once as well and it's strong but I hated playing it, games were just so long and drawn out and boring

my favorite draft decks this set were the ones where I just grabbed every rare/mythic passed to me and forced them all into a pile of crap. not 3-0 decks, but 2-1 at least and fun as hell
generally not a huge fan of the 'tribal' nature of this set but my favorite tribes were boros warriors and 4+ risen riptides + as many copies of into the roil that you can jam

spectre

Arcane
drafted BR once and it didn't work out, but yours looks better; think I didn't grab enough removal
Well, there's a reason removal is the second most important R in drafting BREAD. I think I drafted the most fucking perfect rogues earlier today with three thought-thieves. Shit like this just doesn't happen.
The removal was a bit iffy, one vanquish, one party kill, two bubble wraps, one deathtouch rogue. Eeeeh, I can do this thing.
So what happens? I go 0:3 with the fucking thing, first game was a close mirror. A loss I can respect. Second game is a fucking WG landfall that goes: Murasa Rootgazer, Scute swarm, Canyon Jerboa.
Third game, I mulligan into all islands vs another white landfall that goes Fledgling, Prowling Felidar.

So yeah, don't push a theme, respect the BREAD.

Previous game, I went with 5:3 with a pile of UW flying wizards where I also grabbed two off color pathways because oooh, shiny!
Had two Spoils of Adventure, figured I should push the party mechanics a little bit more, but went fine with just wizards and an odd cleric.

Is there any point in playing Standard right now? All I've seen is Omnath vs. Omnath with Shamrock vs. decks presided to beat Omnath. I get it, he's the poster boy from the new expansion so we have yet to figure this one out. But maybe, just maybe... you went way over the top here?
Yeesh. Those dunces are doing it again, we have what's essentially a midrange deck which is generating so much value with every play, you basically need to answer everything on the spot or just fold.

communard

Arcane
Just play Historic lmao.

Been having fun with the mono brown deck that's actually legit now with the new mana doubler from Zendikar.

Also very much looking forward to playing pseudo-storm when Kaladesh comes out.

spectre

Arcane
Well, that's exactly what I've been doing. ROFLstomping goblins and mono red with UW auras was a bit tiresome today,
so I dropped by for a bit to watch the standard dumpster fire. It's a bit of a shame, cause drafting zendikar is legit amusing (even if I'm not even close to figuring it out).
My only complaint is lack of handy mana fixing outside of green and, if I'm not mistaken, lack of direct counterplay to milling. At least Eldraine had Forever Young among other things.
plenty of cards to try out that could lead to a pretty diverse meta. But fuck that. It's Omnath+Shamrock dump truck parked right at the gates.

I'm a few mythic WCs short to play legit mono brown, but I'm guessing I can make do by by putting one monument in the main and pulling the other one out of the sideboard with Karn for the time being.
I like this deck, but there's very little space in the sideboard unless you severely cut down on the karn wishboard. And I believe historic is best in Bo3, only problem being I can barely afford such a commitment of late.

communard

Arcane
Give Hasbro your money or toil in the Limited mines which doesn't even help a lack of cards in the historic sets, don't get me started on how historic ICR don't include Jumpstart cards or the Anthologies.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Those dunces are doing it again, we have what's essentially a midrange deck which is generating so much value with every play, you basically need to answer everything on the spot or just fold.
It's hard to make any other type of deck right now, you can't really let anything resolve because the decks are just piles of cards that immediately generate card advantage as they enter the battlefield, so control is constantly fighting an impossible uphill battle
vs aggro the deck just auto-heals out of range of the deck so that doesn't work unless they get a hydro-nut draw
there's a mono green deck going around that's really strong, but it's basically the same idea, just a pile of pushed cards that replace themselves immediately on etb

feels like hearthstone where you can make good decisions all game and run your opponent out of cards, just for them to topdeck some sequence of bs that refills their hand, gains them 20 life, puts 5 threats on the board, etc..
like, the hypothetical equivalent-powered 'control' spell to this bs would be 2 mana counter anything draw a card. which, obviously would be crazy but that's where we're at

I mean if you INSIST, Arena. This deck has no removal since I keep raredrafting over removal but at least I'm running off with some cards. Got 4 rares in my sideboard too. +M

EXSmFt5.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Yeah Wotc is becoming exponentially more jewish by the hour. I havn't payed for anything in this game since Eldraine or so, maybe Theros, but I still complemented quitting Arena to not even give them my time anymore.
Problem is there isn't too much competition.

They completely revamped Gwent into shit, Hearthstone is a joke, Duelist is dead, Spellweaver is almost dead, Elder Scrolls Legends is dead (I believe), Artifact is currently reincarnating, Runeterra has soulless megacorp devs aswell, Hex is shutting down.

Maybe I should go back to Mythgard or give Eternal or Faeria another chance. Shadowverse is too weeb for my taste.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Also pretty sure Gods Unchained is a literal scam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom