Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Does anyone know smth about the first guy? I know he is a cleric, but is there any advantage in using him while we have the oracle guy? Wonder if one of those superior in terms of healing ability and other features.
Sosiel (Cleric) is a good healer (he's a Cleric after all) and is easy to build as a reach weapon backup fighter. Daeran (Oracle) is a better healer, not as flexible with his casting due to being a spontaneous caster. I don’t feel like I'm using Daeran optimally but he is still really effective. I don’t use Sosiel much because I don't need anyone else in melee and because he is the most boring companion in the alpha.

Daeran is better healer after lv 12. He gets HEAL for free. And he got like 4 slot initially.

Sosiel should be in mid range and heal using Channel instead of Spell. As a cleric he got ton of natural steroid especially vs evil and will smash their face good. He is a glass cannon tho. Maybe need Heavy Armor Proficiencies.

And most boring companion falls to Reggil. You would've thought Hellknights Gnome would be interesting jutaxposition but he is as dry as stale beard. Makes a good straight man when paired with Daeren/Woljif tho.
Daeran also gets more channels since he's Cha-based, enhanced healing features from his class (like Quickening cure spells), etc.
Number of slots can easily be compensated for by Abundant Casting, which I took on Daeran since he's the healer I'm using.
Regill is straightforward and stoic but not at all boring, he's great. If you don't rescue his Hellknights, he shows up hanging on a hook at Last Chapel and calls Irabeth an idiot for healing him because he "would have survived either way" and praises you for abandoning his unit because the crusade's goals are more important. How do you not love this guy?
1601791372722.png

I don't think normal enemies are using Dispel all that much. There are like 1 or 2 bosses that use it at the beginning I think?
Tarry Demodands in Ch3 tend to open with Dispels.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Definitely disappointed with this version of Daeran. The Revelation makes healing in combat a lot more practical, but extra channeling is a wasted feat, and you really need feats to get him into melee where he wants to be with Uncanny Dodge.

With a CHR-based MC there’s just a log jam if I’m going with Ember. Will probably cut them both until midgame when their curse benefits kick in and we see where things stand.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
and you really need feats to get him into melee where he wants to be with Uncanny Dodge.

But why? Okay, I understand that Chapter 1 he is going to sucks, especially with his Oracle round 1 stagger, but as soon as Chapter 1 is finished you will get boundless healing yes?

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Regill is straightforward and stoic but not at all boring, he's great. If you don't rescue his Hellknights, he shows up hanging on a hook at Last Chapel and calls Irabeth an idiot for healing him because he "would have survived either way" and praises you for abandoning his unit because the crusade's goals are more important. How do you not love this guy?

He is just boring. Straight-line type, super serious, edgy, professional as per depiction of Hell Knights. The thing is, he is great at providing contrast but nothing else is left for the character. He is good fit in the story being compared to rather less than ideal Mendevian crusader, helps being the few competent man around, but as a character he is dry.

Now considering it is Owlcat they probably will have a twist of fate in store for him so we will see.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Could anyone tell me what's the difference, in terms of dialogue/decisions, between Trickster and Azata? Both seem very similar in terms of personalities, and I don't want to play an Early Access game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Could anyone tell me what's the difference, in terms of dialogue/decisions, between Trickster and Azata? Both seem very similar in terms of personalities, and I don't want to play an Early Access game.

Can't say much as I am playing Aeon, but from screenshots in Discord (and general theme from the common path), the Chaotic part of both are different.

Trickster is about setting up and making a big "joke". Think of Fey in general. Sometimes it can have a good effect sometimes not so much but you are still making a joke/trick of some sort. Most notable in Chapter 3, Trickster random trick is the only way to save someone from a curse by bluffing the shit out of the guy giving the curse.

Azata Chaotic is less random "let's make setup of a joke/trick" out of this and more of "fuck the rules I want to be good, happy, lucky."

On topic of Aeon:

Yes, you do time travel. Basically you can enter a rift in time at a key moment in history to correct its course. The first time travel that you did ended up saving Stauthon (basically the final boss of 2nd chapter) and rewrite history in minor detail that Drezen never fell but was under heavy siege by the demon for 70 years with Stauthon, instead of being the reason it fell, become the Warden that managed to hold the line until you liberated the city fully from the siege. Currently, there is no major visible impact. It is implied that being a "good" Aeon/LN Judge is the source of your power of rewriting history so if you are meek/LG or tempted by the Devil/LE you will end up lacking the power to rewrite history

CaesarCzech

Scholar

He is just boring. Straight-line type, super serious, edgy, professional as per depiction of Hell Knights. The thing is, he is great at providing contrast but nothing else is left for the character. He is good fit in the story being compared to rather less than ideal Mendevian crusader, helps being the few competent man around, but as a character he is dry.

Now considering it is Owlcat they probably will have a twist of fate in store for him so we will see.

They could have added sort of British humor him imho. Have him be Profesional,straighforward and stoic but human. Have him treat shit seriously and not joke when shit is serious, but have him humanized.

Shinros

Learned
I find Sosiel the most bland companion of the lot while regill is in my top 3, when it comes to gnome he did something significant where so many people wanted to hate him from the outset due to Kingmaker and the hellknight self-insert quest, but upon playing the alpha he became one of the most favoured characters among alpha testers. The only problem I've seen is the fact people are complaining about Regill's build. Personally I think his build is good, with the right feats and his dex build he makes a good frontliner, his size, plus his class he will have good ac and touch ac. Along with smite chaos and being a hellknight. Overall having no issues with him, working through on playing core and I have to say the difficulty is fun.

To get to why I like the character? He's largely rational and calls out the bullshit surrounding the crusades, traitors and other areas. Also he's great with Daeran, their banter is pretty funny.

Example, Drezen.

When it comes to Drezen the crusaders plan is literally charge the gates, which is dumb and will cost lives. While the gnome comes up with a detailed plan that can reduce your losses and save your men.

Shinros

Learned
In my opinion Lich is the best mythic path, it contains many interesting choices, flavour, spells and abilities. Playing Lich is the most fun I've had with the game so far. Even it's level one summon is great,

The spectre has damage reduction due to being a ghost and every time it hits someone it causes negative levels. The only other path that's great mechanically is Angel. What's interesting is that on the owlcat forums and on the discord Lich is overall the most popular path.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The only other path that's great mechanically is Angel. What's interesting is that on the owlcat forums and on the discord Lich is overall the most popular path.
Trickster has great abilities, making your companion roll 20s on every single roll for 3 rounds is fantastic for example.
The survey results Owlcat posted showed that Angel is the most popular, Lich is 2nd.

Shinros

Learned
Trickster has great abilities, making your companion roll 20s on every single roll for 3 rounds is fantastic for example.
The survey results Owlcat posted showed that Angel is the most popular, Lich is 2nd.

Fair, I forgot about the alpha survey, you have a higher amount of data with that. I was going off the forum(those who are most likely not in alpha) and discord poll. (Alpha poll) Still, I'm impressed how popular an evil path is within an rpg.

Trickster has a few good abilities, but I'm more about the whole baggage of the mythic path than specific abilities. The fusing of spellbooks, the very spells itself, flavour text, etc. The only thing that interests me about trickster is the NPC's you deal with in the path, they're pretty fun.

I'm assuming that the Devil path isn't available in the current alpha, right?

No, but there are hints towards it within the Aeon path. Along with the datamine, Owlcat's Q&A and with what I've seen after finishing Aeon, it seems it will bounce off that path.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Can someone who's played as Lich indulge my curiosity about the undead companions? Can you kill and raise people other than your traitorous companions? Do they still have a personality and storyline after raised, or are they essentially undead mercenaries? And how does it work, do they keep their class, gain xp and level up like normal companions?

Tyroth Gideon

Novice
this far they havent revealed any bog standard fighter type npc right? everyone NEEDS to BE UNIQUE AND INTERESTING AND WHATTHE FUCK. no love for some boring fighter fighiting for a pennie or two and to see another day.
no bard/skald also, which sucks because it will force me to make one such merc but on the other hand i want as many UNIQUE AND INTERESTING npcs as i can get.
For Companions we have:

From_My_Pledge.png

With 11 being a Scrollmaster Wizard.

The image is from back in March, so things may have changed or been revealed since then, such as number 11.
Arushalae's kit is Espionage Expert, which is a Cha-based Ranger. No pet but gets Slayer's Quarry feature.
Camellia is TN
but actually CE
Daeran is NE (Life Mystery FWIW)
Greybor is a TN Slayer
Companion #11 is Nenio, TN Human (but possibly Kitsune) Scroll Savant
You sure Nenio is a scroll Savant?

My sources say Scrollmaster, and they made sure to distinguish between Scrollmaster and Scroll Savant.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Can someone who's played as Lich indulge my curiosity about the undead companions? Can you kill and raise people other than your traitorous companions? Do they still have a personality and storyline after raised, or are they essentially undead mercenaries? And how does it work, do they keep their class, gain xp and level up like normal companions?
No sign of resurecctable mainline companions, yet. But so far there's been atleast two wholly new replacement thrall-companions you can nab for yourself from plot events. When they're not loafing around in your Necro-Ziggurat that is.
MSoE2Hx.jpg

And there's Staunton Vhane, Dwarven Knight-guy.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
You sure Nenio is a scroll Savant?

My sources say Scrollmaster, and they made sure to distinguish between Scrollmaster and Scroll Savant.
I am 100% certain that in the current Alpha build, she is a Scroll Savant. She is also clearly unfinished, though, so that's not to say that she'll still be a Scroll Savant on release.

Desiderius

Patron
I find Sosiel the most bland companion of the lot while regill is in my top 3, when it comes to gnome he did something significant where so many people wanted to hate him from the outset due to Kingmaker and the hellknight self-insert quest, but upon playing the alpha he became one of the most favoured characters among alpha testers. The only problem I've seen is the fact people are complaining about Regill's build. Personally I think his build is good, with the right feats and his dex build he makes a good frontliner, his size, plus his class he will have good ac and touch ac. Along with smite chaos and being a hellknight. Overall having no issues with him, working through on playing core and I have to say the difficulty is fun.

To get to why I like the character? He's largely rational and calls out the bullshit surrounding the crusades, traitors and other areas. Also he's great with Daeran, their banter is pretty funny.

Example, Drezen.

When it comes to Drezen the crusaders plan is literally charge the gates, which is dumb and will cost lives. While the gnome comes up with a detailed plan that can reduce your losses and save your men.

Regill is one of the top five cRPG characters all-time looking at the total package.

People not liking his build are unfamiliar with getting the most out of Heavy Armor (in lieu of suboptimal Monk splash nonsense) DEX-based melee, the Fighter class, and double weapons.

Sprigganknight rules.

Desiderius

Patron
I find Sosiel the most bland companion of the lot

I'm missing Shield of Faith a good bit so far and Daeran's CHR-based overlaps with my main, so he might make my main crew this go round. Touch of Good is still a uniquely consequential ability so we'll see.

Desiderius

Patron
Still, I'm impressed how popular an evil path is within an rpg.

So many edgelords thinking they're the only edgelord. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

I guess if life gives you lemons you distill the acid into a lethal poison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom