Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas is the best Obsidian game ever

Butter

Arcane
Patron
F:NV greatly improved combat compared to Falout 3. It not only plays better thanks to gameplay improvements like iron sights and DT/DR armor system, it's also much deadlier. VATS was nerfed from godmode 90% damage reduction when you could fire fatman at your feet and survive to just 50% reduction. There is little of level scaling, deathclaws and cazadores north of Goodsprings caused endless butthurt of bethestards used to gameworld scaling around their character. Vast amounts of weapons you can build your character around thanks to perk system that is interesting for a change.
Plus special unarmed techniques in VATS, having more control over companion combat behaviour, the addition of weapon mods, and the addition of different ammo types.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Aren't there special melee weapon techniques, too?

(I agree with everything you said, but I remember the golf club, I think.)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
F:NV greatly improved combat compared to Falout 3. It not only plays better thanks to gameplay improvements like iron sights and DT/DR armor system, it's also much deadlier. VATS was nerfed from godmode 90% damage reduction when you could fire fatman at your feet and survive to just 50% reduction. There is little of level scaling, deathclaws and cazadores north of Goodsprings caused endless butthurt of bethestards used to gameworld scaling around their characters. Vast amounts of weapons you can build your character around thanks to perk system that is interesting for a change.

It "greatly improved combat"... so what? Anyone who thinks New Vegas has anything but mediocre (or bad) combat is either a liar or a moron. That is essentially the problem with New Vegas: many of its gameplay improvements don't elevate the gameplay beyond mediocre. The writing, again, has its good things, but this isn't Planescape: Torment in that 1) It has worse writing than PS:T, and 2) PS:T was almost all about the writing, not so New Vegas.

Last edited:

Gordian Nutt

Educated
It "greatly improved combat"... so what? Anyone who thinks New Vegas has anything but mediocre (or bad) combat is either a liar or a moron. That is essentially the problem with New Vegas: many of its gameplay improvements don't elevate the gameplay beyond mediocre. The writing, again, has its good things, but this isn't Planescape: Torment in that 1) It has worse writing than PS:T, and 2) PS:T was almost all about the writing, not so New Vegas.

I do not think either Fallout game has great but you could argue New Vegas polished a turd system

Fallout 3
Equip gun that has ammo
Head shot
Wait for crit
Take stimpack
Repeat

New Vegas
Equip gun that has ammo
* Ignore ammo types because too many to care and they all kill
Head shot
Wait for crit
Take stimpack
* Do not need stimpack if have autostims
* Take antitode if Cazadore
Repeat
* Try to figure out turd ammo bench, give up

Flying Dutchman

Learned
You forgot Repair at the end...

...but only when gun warning shows up and then switch to a new gun if you don't have extras in inventory.

I remember when Repair was helpful (in other games, never in Fallout, inc. 1 and 2) rather than a relief that it's lightening your inventory weight. Way to go, Todd.

New Vegas ammo bench was ass, though, it reeked of autism and confusion meshed into one interface.

deuxhero

Arcane
How is the ammo bench too hard to figure out? You need X components to make ammo. You can get these components in shops (not sold nearly often enough though) or by disassembling ammo you have. The option to disassemble ammo you have tells you how much and what you'll get for it.

The main problem with the reloading bench is that there's not much incentive to play around with it. Most of the time factory loads are plentiful while without a GRA perk (which is a pretty good one) handloads are only equal to factory loads. It's a shame Bethesda's engine is so shit, because a cap and ball replica that consumed raw shotgun primer+pistol powder+lead per shot would have been a nice low tier weapon.

gruntar

Augur
Forgot to mention one important change from Hardcore Mode - stimpacks heal over time. You must be somehow tactical about healing instead of spamming a hotkey.

It "greatly improved combat"... so what? Anyone who thinks New Vegas has anything but mediocre (or bad) combat is either a liar or a moron. That is essentially the problem with New Vegas: many of its gameplay improvements don't elevate the gameplay beyond mediocre.

New Vegas gameplay, with all its improvements is adequate. There are plenty of great CRPGs, like Arcanum and Morrowind, with much worse combat.

The writing, again, has its good things, but this isn't Planescape: Torment in that 1) It has worse writing than PS:T, and 2) PS:T was almost all about the writing, not so New Vegas.

No game has better writing than PS:T, so what, every game is shit because of that ?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
New Vegas gameplay, with all its improvements is adequate. There are plenty of great CRPGs, like Arcanum and Morrowind, with much worse combat.

I'd argue Morrowind's combat is better than New Vegas, which sounds bonkers, but at least I could genuinely feel my combat skills getting better.

No game has better writing than PS:T, so what, every game is shit because of that ?

Rather, New Vegas has no redeeming gameplay elements, and even its "great writing" is more like extremely average with the exception of the worldbuilding and a few NPCs here and there. Talking to actual NPCs more often than not tells you nothing about them, which is a big problem because there aren't many named NPCs to begin with. New Vegas is a very sparse game on account for its size.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I'm almost finished the game for the first time (it is about 70 hours and all DLCs are complete now), so maybe there will be a NEW VEGAS REVIEW in this thread. I know that's the thing we all need these days.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I never used the ammo bench because it was a pain in the arse and ammo was plentiful.

I also never figured out that Caravan game.

Both agree.

While I liked Caravan being unique to the setting, I found it unintuitive and not much fun to try to play.

I wish the minigames were more embedded in the gameplay loop rather than what we got - then again, it would be weird if you went to Vegas and couldn't gamble.

deuxhero

Arcane
New Vegas's combat sucks because of the base. If its design ideas for guns and items were applied to something like Deus Ex or STALKER, they would work great.

I also never figured out that Caravan game.

Caravan's problem is that it's trivial to solve due to deck construction. It also suffers from the only people with anything meaningful to wager (except the crazy guy in Novac) only ever playing a few times ever.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Caravan was pretty easy to figure out, and VERY easy to break. I felt sorry for the poor NPCs whose caps I took away right from under their noses.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Caravan's problem is that it's trivial to solve due to deck construction. It also suffers from the only people with anything meaningful to wager (except the crazy guy in Novac) only ever playing a few times ever.
The NCR ambassador has no game limit and can be wrung for thousands upon thousands of caps.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
May not be popular opinion but liked Gwent in Witcher much more than Caravan although Gwent felt like it did not fit in the setting

Caravan felt like it fit in the setting but it was not fun unless you have a need to collect all the cards which is a compulsion kind of fun but not ultimately satisfying in itself

The NCR ambassador has no game limit and can be wrung for thousands upon thousands of caps.

This feels in keeping with the NCR lore and role in the game reflected in gameplay

deuxhero

Arcane

Ok two NPCs, one of which may become hostile or leave the game area depending on your choices. Still, not much of an incentive to play it much.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I liked The Witcher's dice poker much better than caravan. I prefer when luck is heavily involved but player skill is still relevant. Same reason I enjoy Blackjack in New Vegas.

Quillon

Arcane
How is luck heavily involved with Gwent? Its mostly about strong deck and how dumb AI plays.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually tried the different types of ammo for my latest energy weapons playthrough and was pleasantly surprised with some of the maxed out ammo; I rather have less but more powerful ammo than 300 pew pew energy cells for my laser gun.
Loving my latest playthrough probably going to go Yes Man

typical user

Arbiter
Actually tried the different types of ammo for my latest energy weapons playthrough and was pleasantly surprised with some of the maxed out ammo; I rather have less but more powerful ammo than 300 pew pew energy cells for my laser gun.

I remember the different 'munitions was kinda complicated for me a casual player. I don't think enemies drop the custom ammo and street vendors do not sell it in high bulk or the ingredients themselves. This aspect was missing a tutorial or a quest explaining how this works and better UI. But then I remember this game was made in just 11 months. Maybe I will try New Vegas again in near future and experiment with 'Dragon's Breath' ammo for shotguns.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I remember the different 'munitions was kinda complicated for me a casual player. I don't think enemies drop the custom ammo and street vendors do not sell it in high bulk or the ingredients themselves. This aspect was missing a tutorial or a quest explaining how this works and better UI. But then I remember this game was made in just 11 months. Maybe I will try New Vegas again in near future and experiment with 'Dragon's Breath' ammo for shotguns.
I actually just tried it from Veronica’s crafting menu to see what the were like and enjoyed what I got. In games like Stalker and Metro it makes a whole lot of sense to have homemade bullets vs military grade ammo or armor piercing weapons and while obviously the same sistem doesn’t exist in NV I thought of larping a bit and found it fun especially for energy weapons

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I did okay with whatever ammo was in my inventory.

Same. The effort of switching ammo or switching guns often wasn't worth going to the inventory screen for, there was often no point unless you got something really sweet (named weapon or rocket launcher).

Lhynn

Arcane
Yes, yes it is.

1629652798505.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom