Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Genshin Impact, i.e. Breath of the Waifu. BotW clone w/ cute anime grills and party mechanic system.

distant

Learned
Hmm... gave it a bash for an hour or so. Didn't really hook me. Like everyone says it's a bit reminiscent of Breath of the Wild with the anime dialed up.

Chk991

Novice
It's pretty, but also pretty boring. Doesn't really do anything new or engaging and the combat is a bit janky and shallow.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
played it a bit til arriving at the first city and i dunno... it's a competent copy of Breath of The Wild, I guess. Didn't really leave much of an impression aside from that.

Gerrard

Arcane
Fuck gacha
Fuck installing some spyware to play a Zelda ripoff (that probably doesn't even have half of the things that made BotW good because it's made by soulless insectoids)
and above all else
Fuck China

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, gacha of the wild starts with a isekai premise, and, as expected It doesn't last much until It gets even more derivative and overall suck.

So your waifu/husbando lost their powers, and roam until you find the mandatory petite sidekick peimon (like the goetia demon), which turns out to be a pestering loli too, hence meeting the tropes quota with a single character.

Somehow, despite your character has been exploring around for a while, you need the loli to explain how to climb, swim, turn on checkpoints, etc.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i ended up uninstalling it after like 7 hours of play. don't like how progression is structured, and the wishes and reward claiming and adventure rank and all that, total cancer.

not worth the time investment, just play breath of the wild instead.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game copy many things of BotW but only on its surface, cuz It totally butchers what Zelda essentially stands for: freedom.

Its approach is pretty much akin of a mediocre jrpg: a constrictive, linear progression and a storytelling that fails to work properly alongside both gameplay and the deceitfully seamless in-game world. Plus tons of intrusive lore dumps to waste quality time with.

For example, there is a major quest where you can earn the glider's license. Without it, It's supposed to be illegal to flying around town and you even get detained while you're doing the trials.

Prior to that quest, you can glide across rooftops and windmills without fearing any kind of consequence. Also, nobody cares for your indiscriminate climbing either.

Nevermind anyways. Its major sin is to be developed around being gacha already, that is really a sure way to smear with shit any game regardless how potentially good is gameplay concept.

Last edited:

Rafidur

Learned
It's a bit of a shame because the gameplay has surprising depth but none of the enemies really deal enough damage to bother.

orcinator

Liturgist
It's a bit of a shame because the gameplay has surprising depth but none of the enemies really deal enough damage to bother.

Is it? I haven't played it or watched much in the way of gameplay but I assumed it's still something that was made for touchpad controls.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If the enemy deal too much damage at the start, the players would just cry pay2win.
Now if you wait until 2-3 months when they've become somewhat 'invested', the game will introduce limited time challenges that ramps up the risk vs reward ratio.
You can do the lower difficulty event for negligible rewards, or play higher difficulty ones that give more and worth more of the time units you spent.

So they start baiting you... if you want to perform better, you need to buy this and that.
Do you really think you're good at this game and can dodge and damage perfectly?

Sorry, they'll just cut your damage to 1/4 until you wear this set of gear and weapons.
Also, a time limit. You can dodge all you want. Take no damage, but if you can't kill within Whale time, you fail.

EZ money.
Creating demand out of nothing.
Gacha Games, amirite? Lukrame

Rafidur

Learned
Is it? I haven't played it or watched much in the way of gameplay but I assumed it's still something that was made for touchpad controls.

Your main combat tools are light attack (can combo), heavy attack, special skill, hold special skill, big ult, jump, and a dodge with iframes. The thing that makes it good is that you can switch characters up to every second, which let you use different abilities and weapon types nearly at will (or do some stuff like cancelling a long recovery animation without spending stamina on a dash, or switch to a high defense character before eating a hit you fucked up avoiding). The depth is no Dante in DMC4-5 but it's surprisingly good.

Skills are fairly varied and can be interesting, for example the main character with earth powers can call meteors that deal large damage and that you can climb on or hide behind to avoid projectiles, or with wind powers create a tornado that can suck in enemies and spread elemental effects (suck in a dude on fire, boom fire tornado. Cast spell standing in/near water, boom water tornado. etc).

None of that matters because you can mostly button mash your way to victory.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I fear that Chinese game industry in the end will do even more damage to gaming than the US game industry has ever made.

I am not racist, but I think also that Chinese people has even less cultural antigens to exploitative capitalism than western people. Western people have formed their antigens through centuries of history, that is obviously different from the Chinese one. Both western and eastern industry are realizing that and obviously capitalizing on this market. This will prospectively cause a massive global decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom