Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, the second phase of the Demon was easy as fuck. Didn't expect that. He had a shit ton of defense, so much so i did like 81 damage a swing with my sword, so it took like an half an hour to bring him down but i didn't even get hit once and that was my second try.

I'm now in the ringed city. From what i gather i am to expect rape, and a lot of it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao as soon as i stepped away from the bonfire i got skewered by two million arrows. Two seconds in and rape has been confirmed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meh, so the armored guy was Patches. Again.

This game is too well made to say they didn't care but there's definitely some paint by the numbers stuff. It's really off putting on some level.

I got to Midir. I heard this boss was like Kalameet on steroids but honestly Kalameet was way better. The first phase is retardedly easy but still takes half an hour because you only get short opportunities to hit him in the middle of his constant rampaging (which sometimes gets you because of the fucked up hit box or camera). I died on the second phase on that spazzed out laser beam attack but honestly aside for that it didn't feel any harder. I guess this boss is more of an endurance test. It's easy as long as you don't get greedy.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Dark Souls 3 was a very easy game, and I played it with KB&M+M having never played any souls game before, ever. The optional dragonrider boss was the only legitimately hard one, and also the fucking teleporting brothers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, half-away his second phase he gets staggered and you can riposte him for a shit ton of damage. The spazzed out laser beam attack he does is also counter productive if you are close because you can just run behind him and beat the shit out of him while he spergs out. Much easier than what people made him out to be, certainly easier than Kalameet (at least for me).

I'm going say i agree this game feels easier than the others, aside for a few select bosses. Now of course i just played DS1 and DS2 back to back earlier this year, so maybe i just got too much practice but i'm starting to feel a bit non-plussed by most of the challenges in this game. Only the resurrecting bosses threw me off guard, just because it challenged my ADHD as i kept fucking up on the earlier stages just because i was bored and wanted to get through them as quickly as i could.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
WTF i'm trying to get in the Church of Spear as a sun bro but i keep getting summoned for that boss pvp covenant? I don't even have the item on le fuck?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm going say i agree this game feels easier than the others, aside for a few select bosses. Now of course i just played DS1 and DS2 back to back earlier this year, so maybe i just got too much practice but i'm starting to feel a bit non-plussed by most of the challenges in this game.
DS3 usually feels harder because everything goes faster. Try playing DS1 a second time after all the experience you gained with the series: every single boss will be a cakewalk, and you will be surprised at how quickly they go down. The only exceptions will probably be Manus and Kalameet (and, if you are a pussy, Gwyn).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Gwyn is great if you don't parry him derp.

I'm at Gael now, but i'll do him later as i'm spent. Played too much.

So i did the PvP boss and i died four times in a row so as i'm figuring out to beat the fucker with the spazzy sword a player pops out instead and i butcher him in less than a minute. Poor guy didn't seem prepared i think he got summoned against his will, like i did, heh. I kinda feel cheated out of a boss now the NPC guy was harder.

BTW, i left Lord of Cinder alive. For some reason my brain thought this game was like DS1, you beat the boss and you go to NG+ but instead it's like DS2. Silly me should have done him before the DLCs but ho well.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I'm still wondering why I bought Dark Souls 1 on both the PS4 and the Switch, and haven't finished either playthrough.

Am I shit?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, Gael is amazing. I feel so fucking leet for dodging his shit even though i'm just going by luck half the time lmao. Got him to his third stage, then i died like a scrub. Gonna git gud.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm going say i agree this game feels easier than the others, aside for a few select bosses. Now of course i just played DS1 and DS2 back to back earlier this year, so maybe i just got too much practice but i'm starting to feel a bit non-plussed by most of the challenges in this game.
DS3 usually feels harder because everything goes faster. Try playing DS1 a second time after all the experience you gained with the series: every single boss will be a cakewalk, and you will be surprised at how quickly they go down. The only exceptions will probably be Manus and Kalameet (and, if you are a pussy, Gwyn).

I'll wait a few years before i replay it by then my skill should go down again.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Aww, i tried Gael a couple of dozen times yesterday night and this morning i did it on the first try. Fun's over.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i'm trying to get into some PvP for real now, attempting to obtain Shackles the "legit" way since farming is out of the question (drop rate is abysmal not worth it just for some retarded achievement i wanna get to satisfy my autism) and man do i suck. I've done well with low level people but those end game folks are far too prepared, using weapons and styles i have no idea how of to counter. I had some guy parry my attack, then switch to an heavier weapon during the riposte, then as soon as i get up he switches to a third weapon, does some kind of weapon art shit that knocks out all my stamina and then he switches to a FOURTH weapon to finish me off with another riposte. I can barely juggle through inventory items and this guy is switching weapons like his brain is connected to his controller or something lmao.

Also, for some reason nine of out ten i always appear to be out numbered. Been going on for an hour as an invader like this but i think i'm going to switch to using a sign soap because this is ridiculous. I got summoned three times in a row where there were this three guys, the host and two sunbros, just standing in the middle of the ring with the "prayer" pose, and they all promptly gang raped me as soon as i walked in. This is some esoteric shit.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i killed the final boss (i liked him, though he was of course anti-climatic after the bosses of the DLCs. Damn my brain i should have checked on whether killing him sent you directly to NG+), managed to get all four ending achievements by backing up my save game lul. At least i don't have to worry about this shit on my next playthroughs.

So i decided to get a break from trying to get Shackles and decided to play around with the DLC covenant and it's not bad. I just learned you can pay to get the boss back so i've been doing both, fighting summoned players as well as fighting as the boss myself. It's an ok diversion from the usual PvP but honestly all those covenants are rather lame. For a game with such an active PvP community i can't believe they didn't put a ton of online feature, ranking, ladders etc. It's a bit retarded.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bleh, i seem unable to win any shackles through PvP. Apparently this covenant "prioritizes" servers with a lot of people, but in the several hours i've spent brawling at Pontiff or elsewhere that translates with me vs 2 or more people 99% of the time.

So i tried to leave a sign instead of using the red orb but that doesn't help either. I have to either kill the host, who usually doesn't step into the fight, or i have to go through every single phantom before i get a shackle, which is impossible as my skills are not that high to just win two or three fights in a row.

I'm guessing this covenant was more fun at lower level. Best summon i had yet is some guy who summoned me as if i was a white or gold phantom. So i just follow him killing mobs wondering what's the deal, we get to the part where you have to fight those two big monsters after descending on the lower level, so i help him, and as he is bowing afterwards i kill him as he was one hit away from death. That was kind of hilarious, got into the mad spirit mindset for a second. But that was the only entertaining summon i had the rest was just spawn, get ganked, rinse and repeat over and over.

So in a week between a combination of farming (where i usually get two shackles in an hour) and PvP i got 12 shackles. Only 18 to go!

Bendu

Augur
Mausoleum Lookout, Ringed Inner Wall and Ringed City Streets are great for invasions. Lots of high level enemies putting pressure on the gank squads. Probably you also missed the opportunity to get invaded by mad phantoms during your playthrough. Defeating them would also grant you a shackle and you would be more in control of the invasion.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Didn't know that. I played mostly embered through out the game, and the only invaders i've seen were red phantoms. Strange, all considered, but then, if the mad spirit covenant prioritizes servers with a lot of people, it would make sense because i never summoned anyone.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i'm invading at Pontiff, and some how i ended up in Firelink twice? How does that work?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, production values were certainly through the roof. No jank like in DS2.

As far as tone and atmosphere, i prefer the original by far. Just the fact everything in DS3 is recycled from the previous games left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt very cynical, like they didn't really care about the world, just answering to the complains about DS2 in the most condescending way possible (meanwhile DS2 added a ton of original features and ideas, many of which shit sure, but at least they tried). Ho, here's Andre, from the original. Haha, wasn't he great (he was, but god damn, really)? And here's Rhea of Thorolund, again, and the chick from DS2, and Patches again, who betrays you not once, but twice! Haha, can't get enough of his antics, amrite?

The only NPC i liked was the little thief guy. Everything else was very nondescript. The swamp pyromancer, bleh. The mage, bleh. Karla, bleh. And so on.

But apart from the recycled NPCs, there are other problems. The biggest is the level design. Now, it's not bad per se, the areas are well constructed with their own unique visuals and unique enemies, just like the previous games. But it doesn't feel like a real place, like it did in DS1. Just the fact you can warp between bonfires from the get go makes it very hard to feel attached to the world, or to think of it as a real place. It was a bad idea in DS2 and it's even worse in DS3. I think actually this is a general theme with the game in general, that while DS1 tried to make it feel like you were roaming a real place, DS3 is more "meta" oriented, more about making things a bit easier and convenient for the player as opposed to create the illusion of a world that needed to be known and explored. Just the fact everything you need is in one location, something they inherited from DS2, removes some mystique from the areas you are navigating. I guess this was just answering to the complains of people who felt it was too boring having to walk around all the time just to get to this vendor or NPC but come on.

I will also say Lordran just felt more coherent from a thematic point of view. Sure, DS3 has better graphics and they went to town adding ton of details the original couldn't have because of the simpler engine, but DS1 felt more distinctive all the same for me. This may be a case of too much of a good thing actually. In DS1, getting to Anor Londo for the first time was a spectacular moment. Even the layout of the entire world map has this idea that the lower you go, the drearier the ambient becomes, with swamps, tombs, and that infernal nightmare that is Lost Izalith (which was clearly unfinished and easily the worst area in the game, but in a sense it sort of fits considering you are in the lowest depths of Lordran), where as you have to go upwards to reach Anor Londo hence the celestial atmosphere (emphasized when you meet the amazing chest lady derp).

In DS3, you start off in the Lothric cathedral and end up there again by the end of the game, after going through ton of gothic castles and cathedrals, including Anor Londo again. It really started to feel routine at one point. I get it, muh metroidvania, right? Except DS1 didn't feel like that. Again, too much meta in DS3. Too much of "we gotta have Gothic shit 'cause Castelvania amright" where as the cathedral in Anor Londo is a unique place that has a justification from a setting's point of view.

Lastly, the levels themselves felt less interesting from a gameplay point of view. Each area in DS1 presented a unique challenge pertaining to the level itself, and not just from the enemies you found there. This is actually something DS2 has done better than DS3. In both DS1 and DS2, there's some areas that are remembered with particular loathing and dread. Blighttown, or the Tomb of Giants, or the Shrine of Amana in DS2, and so forth. But i don't even remember any area form DS3 by name. Maybe that swamp place with those guys with the branches, but meh, aside for the crabs it wasn't really all that. Again, the areas are well designed, they look great, they are fun, but it all feels rather routine, and the fact everything is so damn linear makes it worse too.

Now, as far as gameplay goes, the emphasis on twitch combat certainly allowed for some intense boss fights. I'd say the bosses are definitely the best thing about the game. Still, just the fact they basically kept the code from Bloodborne and didn't bother to change it to make the game feel more in line with the Dark Souls style bothers me. I'm not even sure it was a design choice it just felt like, ok, this is the engine, it works well, why bother mess with it. In DS1, you could finish the game with any build you wanted. Even the DLC bosses, which share some similarities with the DS3 bosses, could be done in various ways. I heard you can actually tank Manus and Artorias has an obvious weakness to heavy weapons and can probably be face spanked i'd imagine with some Giant Dad kind of build. Lastly, you can pretty much block everything Kalameet does if you have high enough stamina or stability. But in DS3? Just roll brah. The amusing thing is that the game doesn't actually emphasizes light builds either, because you get the same amount of invincibility frames with medium roll so really, longer roll may be useful but there's actually no point to care and i think longer roll is actually a disadvantage for PvP. So basically all strategy and variety on how to build your character is out the window. So pump health and damage, stay below 70% equip load and you are done. Ho, magic and miracles? Lmao ain't got no time for that just roll roll roll.

Now with all that said, i still say DS3 is a great game and miles ahead of the popamole garbage we have today, but i liked the first one better, even if the latter is more "evolved" in some aspect with harder bosses, more fluid animations etc. I mean DS1 is from 2007 some technical innovation is to be expected, but i still prefer it, just because it felt more inspired to me.

So DS1 stays on top and the real battle is between DS2 and DS3, and to be honest it's not a clear cut victory for DS3. I mean yeah the game is just better designed, some of the jank in DS2 was just ludicrous, but i don't know, aside for the bosses DS3 wasn't particularly memorable for me, while DS2 for some strange reason was, even if i just remember it for the shit it did wrong lmao.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
It felt very cynical, like they didn't really care about the world, just answering to the complains about DS2 in the most condescending way possible (meanwhile DS2 added a ton of original features and ideas, many of which shit sure, but at least they tried). Ho, here's Andre, from the original. Haha, wasn't he great (he was, but god damn, really)? And here's Rhea of Thorolund, again, and the chick from DS2, and Patches again, who betrays you not once, but twice! Haha, can't get enough of his antics, amrite?

Also Onion Knight (but he is OK and his questline is even more interesting than the DS1's one).

Of other things about design, yes, I completely agree.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, the Onion Knight was worthy of the original, even if they overplayed their hands by having him basically solo Yorm in the end.

praetor

Arcane
i agree with literally everything you wrote, Lyric Suite , except for the last part.

to me, DS2 is the clear cut winner vs DS3 because of the build variety, the tons and tons of cool and unique weapons, and the DLCs are, imo, better designed than anything in DS3. i also like better the slower paced gameplay. and i think once that Sty3d dude finishes (if ever) his graphic overhaul, it will look significantly less janky and the torches will have some actual fucking use

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Maybe. I wasn't trying to claim a real victor between the two. DS3 is more bland (aside for the bosses) but has better production values while DS2 is more varied and original but has some jank. I could easily give the victory to DS2 but all the crappy bosses i had to go through before getting to the good ones left me a bad taste in my mouth. Next time i'll bring all the summons not the least since you have to to follow the story lines. In a way, it's not a clear cut choice between the two simply because they excel and suck in opposite areas. Whatever DS3 did bad DS2 did better and vice versa. That's why it's a toss up depending on which aspect of the game you are thinking of at a given moment.

All i'm going to say is that i remember my journey through DS2 better, and i just finished DS3. I mean i'm still butthurt about that frozen level with the horses months later. I barely remember anything from DS3 aside for the bosses.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom