Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 1 - Mutagen gets trailer and Steam page, coming Q1 2021

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Geneforge 1 - Mutagen; Spiderweb Software

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen, Jeff Vogel's inevitable remake of the first Geneforge from 2001, was successfully Kickstarted back in March to the tune of $85k. Now it's time for the next step in the Spiderweb Software product lifecycle, which is the launching of the game's trailer and Steam page. Apparently the coronavirus has not had much effect on Jeff's lifestyle, since it's still on schedule for release in the first quarter of 2021.

Geneforge 1 – Mutagen is a unique, truly open-ended fantasy adventure in a strange, new world. You are one of the Shapers, wizards with the awesome power to create life. Want a tool, a trap, an army? You summon it into existence. You create mighty beasts, and they totally obey you. Usually.

But now? Your creations want to rebel. Will you crush them? Or help them?

Geneforge 1 – Mutagen offers unmatched freedom in how you play. Use magic or your deadly pets to crush your enemies. Or, use trickery, diplomacy, and stealth to win the game without ever attacking a foe. Choose between a host of rival factions or just destroy everything. Defeat the final boss, or switch sides and join him. Fight alone with blades, missiles, or magic, or create your own army of custom-made mutant monsters.

Geneforge is an epic fantasy adventure with over eighty zones to explore and 50+ hours of gameplay. Choose from dozens of skills, abilities, and pets to reach a vast array of different endings. The coming rebellion will scorch your continent. Who will win? It will be up to you.

Despite the unusual nature of some of the game's new creature graphics, I'd say this looks prettier than the original. Though of course that's not a high bar to clear.

PrettyDeadman

CaVfwEH.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I gave up on Geneforge near the end because it was a clunky pain in the ass. Might actually buy a remake for once.... once it's on sale in 5 years.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Despite the unusual nature of some of the game's new creature graphics, I'd say this looks prettier than the original. Though of course that's not a high bar to clear.

I still find it ugly though. It's better than the original, yeah, but still ugly.

The original did have some nice 2d drawings and artwork, mostly in the intro/ending vignettes.

I hope Jeff has retained those.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

I still find it ugly though. It's better than the original, yeah, but still ugly.
Judging by the aspect ratio in that trailer, seems like this was just an excuse to make a tablet port.

I had just begun replaying Geneforge completely unaware of this.

I'm OK with the ultra-shit graphics, which give me early 90s shareware nostalgia. My biggest issue is the inventory, which from the video seems much improved.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I don't know why I keep thinking Shattered Light was inspired by Exile. I like the first Geneforge. I was unaware of the graphical patch

Pretty sure Codex reviewed that. Don't use tinypic or photobucket unless you pay for an account. Use Imgur please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I am shocked by the new engine this game uses. Vogel was right to spend so many years and hard-begged kickstater money on this technological revolution. I can't even understand how after that he had enough funds for a total renewal of all the art assets!

Rarre

Educated
I want to play it, never tried a vogel game before...
I have problems trying rpgs after playing underrail... everthing feels unrefined... or simplistic or unbalanced... Will I have this issue with vogel's games?

Honestly I find a bit amusing how Vogel keeps insisting (sometimes even bragging) with his bizarre philosophy "Yeah, my games always look like shit but it doesn't matter because they sell few copies anyway", when chances are not investing a bit more seriously in updating the visuals is precisely what's preventing him from becoming one of the "indie darling" who can sell far better on platforms like Steam and GoG.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Honestly I find a bit amusing how Vogel keeps insisting (sometimes even bragging) with his bizarre philosophy "Yeah, my games always look like shit but it doesn't matter because they sell few copies anyway", when chances are not investing a bit more seriously in updating the visuals is precisely what's preventing him from becoming one of the "indie darling" who can sell far better on platforms like Steam and GoG.

Why would the living legend need to do this

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jeff has always struck me as a man of limited ambition. On the one hand it's quite comforting to see a man who is so content with his situation, on the other hand you can't help but feel a sense of curiosity and lingering disappointment for what could have been.

The Geneforge series was probably the most ambitious of his games. It's a shame he hasn't been inspired since to put so much effort into world building and setting.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
It's a shame he hasn't been inspired since to put so much effort into world building and setting.
He's a one-man shop. I wouldn't blame him for sticking with what he knows to just get games out there. I'm sure there's more he can do if he had a slew of developers, designers, and artists on his staff.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
It's a shame he hasn't been inspired since to put so much effort into world building and setting.
He's a one-man shop. I wouldn't blame him for sticking with what he knows to just get games out there. I'm sure there's more he can do if he had a slew of developers, designers, and artists on his staff.

I understand it, just a shame he hasn't really tried again since Geneforge. The Avadon games were painfully generic.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The Geneforge series is largely superb

Escape from the Pit & Geneforge are masterpieces of storytelling and should be treated as free lessons in video game design. A must-play before you die. Meanwhile I'm not a fan of stripped-down Avadon, it is a completely different approach - more linear, more story-focused and revolves around instanced "missions".

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
The Geneforge series is largely superb

Escape from the Pit & Geneforge are masterpieces of storytelling and should be treated as free lessons in video game design. A must-play before you die. Not a fan of Avadon, it is a completely different approach - more linear, more story-focused and revolves around instanced "missions".

Part of the problem with Avadon is Jeff was trying to create a Bioware RPG clone.

IIRC he wrote a circle jerky piece about how much he loved Dragon Age (or was it Mass Effect?), and how his next game would take inspiration from Bioware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom