Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Man this shit is laughable. It was so tame. Awkward maybe, but hey that happens. I've done way worse "sexual" things with characters and NPCs, and so have all the players in my games. I really don't get the outrage. Even from the point of view of the character. It's nothing.

I'm quite happy that I'm currently playing in a game in which the party are gang members, I'm playing a handyman torturer, another's playing a girl pimp, and we've got a hacker-embezzler and a prize fighter (the fights are rigged). Shit can go in uncharted territory easily. We like it that way.

So you guys are saying girls (and the men whiteknighting for them) are the root of all this disruption? Turns out I might've been lucky in failling to interest girls in our games lol

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Matthew mercer, a prominent voiceactor of Eder, Aloth, and many many more, has created a running youtube series of DnD gameplay known as critical role.

Normally I consider the anti-sjw/incel and political opinions of the codex on the same level of a raving lunatic on drugs, but in this case I honestly consider it crossing the line.

Lately I have tried creating 'real' PnP style rpg's with people face to face and everyone I meet happen to be the most insufferable douchebags ever.

They all want to copy everything from Crit role right down to the terrible builds and lolsorandum acting.

There is a difference between role-playing and being straight up fucking retarded.

To give you guys an example, in my last session I was forced to witness two grown fucking men having gay dnd sex with each other.

Even the DM makes a point to add transsexual characters for fucks sake

I tried to tell them to knock it off but they wouldn't stop having weird orgies.

The common point is that they are all critical role fans.

SO fuck CRIT ROLE

I didn't know what Critical Role was until last few months. I was invited into two different pen and paper parties, despite my best attempts at being a social pariah. In any case, the DM in one of them won't ever shut up about CR outside of the game. Fine, you like Critical Role. That's okay. But the issue is that it has tainted his DMing. He is too soft. Too nice. Everyone is trying to be a 'fun' colorful character that's nice to everyone. I get that in a party you aren't meant to be an antagonist. Perfectly okay.

And yet, the whole party got into a debate with my goddamn cat man about killing goblins! Oh no, they are just children! Oh no, they could grow up to be good! No, you fucktards, they are goblins!
Not even the paladin backed me up.

I had my character sneak away after we left and snap the goblin baby's necks. :smug:

BTW no matter how big of a cuck Mercer might be, he's pretty good at DMing...

PapaPetro

I prefer the Chris Perkins DMing on Acquisitions Incorporated.

Then again one is a professional game designer and the other a voice actor, so.....

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I didn't know what Critical Role was until last few months. I was invited into two different pen and paper parties, despite my best attempts at being a social pariah. In any case, the DM in one of them won't ever shut up about CR outside of the game. Fine, you like Critical Role. That's okay. But the issue is that it has tainted his DMing. He is too soft. Too nice. Everyone is trying to be a 'fun' colorful character that's nice to everyone. I get that in a party you aren't meant to be an antagonist. Perfectly okay.

And yet, the whole party got into a debate with my goddamn cat man about killing goblins! Oh no, they are just children! Oh no, they could grow up to be good! No, you fucktards, they are goblins!
Not even the paladin backed me up.

I had my character sneak away after we left and snap the goblin baby's necks. :smug:

BTW no matter how big of a cuck Mercer might be, he's pretty good at DMing...

My friend, allow me to introduce you to an upcoming RPG...

MartinK

Learned
Craig Campbell said:
You are penalized if you kill.

Next time I GM I am making this a feature. You kill, there is a serious investigation and a good chance your ass ends up in prison for a while. And unless you took the jaded or psychopath qualities, your character will suffer psychological debuffs untill you make difficult saving throw that can be rolled once a week.

mondblut

Arcane
Yes, the biggest problem of RPGs in the past couple of decades is not enough pacicucks thinking combat is teh bad :roll:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's more fun to occasionally create fights and encounters where the PCs need to take someone alive, just flat penalising for killing is usually obnoxious.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's fun when someone CAN die, having characters die every sessions is bad Dming , combat have to be lethal if players do something stupid or a huge tactical mistake. If there's no threat whats the point in an adventure ? I dont play rpg to have an inane conversation simulator, we got the shoutbox for that.

MartinK

Learned
What if in our game we play football hooligans instead of magical tomb raiders from fantasyland? Plety of fights, but relatively few fatalities.

Mortmal

Arcane
What if in our game we play football hooligans instead of magical tomb raiders from fantasyland? Plety of fights, but relatively few fatalities.
I'd say lift , become the chad you want to become, being football hooligan is something easily attainable and dont need the TTRPg medium .

Bringing this back from the abyss of time!
Last month Adam Koebel got cancelled and took down the entire Roll4It show with him, as he has decided to do some unprompted surprise sex to a PC on stream.
Man, I didn't even know that Roll4It was still going on. Last time I watched it was maybe 2-3 years ago, and it was a Dark Heresy campaign that had these gaming youtubers on it, Splattercat, Enterelysium, Aavak and this other guy whose name I can never remember but is a furry (but never let that show up in his roleplaying). The campaign was great, there was a lot of snitching and backstabbing and the occasional courting of the ruinous powers, and then they switched to Shadowrun 5E but with some gal with funny hair instead of one of the regular cast members. That campaign ended in a cliffhanger when the furry left for some personal life reasons, and gradually the remainder of the cast were replaced by soypeople, at which point I lost interest.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's fun when someone CAN die, having characters die every sessions is bad Dming , combat have to be lethal if players do something stupid or a huge tactical mistake. If there's no threat whats the point in an adventure ? I dont play rpg to have an inane conversation simulator, we got the shoutbox for that.
I think there is an argument to be made that if you just wanted combat, there's dozens or hundreds of cRPGs which can satisfy that itch (even if premade encounters and static interactions are not as good as having a gm adjusting things on the fly).

But cRPGs are terrible at diplomacy or other alternate solutions, so if you wanna roleplay like that you have to play pnp. That being said, I would not want to play a combatless pnp, but I also don't get upset if there isn't combat every session.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's fun when someone CAN die, having characters die every sessions is bad Dming , combat have to be lethal if players do something stupid or a huge tactical mistake. If there's no threat whats the point in an adventure ?
Not necessarily. There needs to be consequences, but death doesn't have to be it.

It really depends on the type of campaign you're playing. For a dungeon crawler / tactcs first campaign, death might be the thing to do, characters can be replaced since it's the challenge of the crawl that's the focus. For a more RP / narrative campaign, where who the characters are is central to what is happening, other consequences might be more appropriate, such as maiming, capture, being forced to reveal critical info to the BBEG that will allow him to foil the party's plans, etc. Some things are worse than rerolling a character, since you now have to deal with the consequences and live with the scars that transform your character. The consequence of death in such a campaign might be reserved for more climactic events.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Since this thread is about the decline of PnP and not just about CR, this video probably fits:

What did they roll for testosterone?

CRITICAL MISS

low-testosterone-erectile-dysfunction-chart.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I mean, they been supporting a storytelling charity teaching kids to write and act since the first episode of Critical Role in 2015, so this doesn't seem surprising or strange.

Stella Brando

Arcane
There's an easy way to filter out the idiots that want to join your super serious group:

Upon auditioning to play for you (make no mistake, any good DM should be in high demand and should in turn demand much from his players), the player should be asked the following question:

"What is your favorite TSR/WotC, etc. D&D campaign boxed set?"

If they answer "Greyhawk", without hesitation, they're in.

If they answer "Forgotten Realms", you should sit there, silently, glaring at them, waiting for them to explain why, unbidden. If they hesitate, they're gone. If they say, however, "Ha ha I was just kidding it's Greyhawk," then with skeptical caution they should be let in.

Any other answer should result in a swift kick in the ass out your door.

What is a grey hawk?

I mean, I understand you Americans like birds. You guys are always talking about bold eagles.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom