Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Like when you get the super shotgun in Doom Eternal, where you get trapped in a tiny square room and have to deal with exploding zombies, those Mancubus guys that spray green shit all over everything and on top of it there's like flames coming out of the floor. That felt very Dark Souls to me

I didn't play Eternal but the example you mention feels like a doom 2 moment. Probably less actually violent than when you get swarmed by chaingunners.

JDR13

Arcane
To me, what made Dark Souls special is not that it's so difficult but that it resurrected the greatness of 90s games.

Well it was made by people who created 90s series of King's Field (which I never played), known for its brooding atmosphere and labyrinths.

ps2-988-11311176205.jpg

Those games were great for their time.

Machocruz

Arcane
When DeS came out, Uncharted 2 was considered the height of current game design. To the rabble, it was near blasphemy that the former got any GoTY consideration over or even next to the latter. DeS was considered retrograde, like an echo from the PS2 generation. Uncharted was the cutting edge. I think a percentage of ethnic pride was involved. Game rags loved to claim that Japan was washed up. And maybe they were at the time, but the west wasn't blowing my skirt up either with mechanically thin design, and we had to suffer numerous series and genres receiving lobotomies.

Culture is a series of reactions. Things go too far one way and are met with opposing force that either pushes things the other way or creates a balance, even if only somewhat. The rise of Souls influence coincides with that of the independent scene. And consider the surprising onslaught of roguelike and survival game elements the past decade. There was a dormant desire for more consequential fare and possibly fatigue or boredom with safety-net design of the AAA sphere.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Did they really make it into a west vs east issue lmao. The west has been "washed up" since the early 2000s and hasn't recovered yet, and probably never will with SJWs giving gaming the killing blow after publishers fucked the hobby up for over a decade.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Did they really make it into a west vs east issue lmao. The west has been "washed up" since the early 2000s and hasn't recovered yet, and probably never will with SJWs giving gaming the killing blow after publishers fucked the hobby up for over a decade.

The state of the western gaming industry in a nutshell
:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...hinson-game-journalists-exhibit-subtle-racism
Alex Hutchinson, the creative director of Assassin's Creed 3, has said that he believes games journalists give Japanese developers an easy ride, exhibiting a "subtle racism" which is condescending to those it favours.

Speaking in an interview with CVG, Hutchinson expressed his frustration with the press' treatment of what he sees as sub-standard story telling in Japanese games.
Asked about why Nintendo is able to endlessly iterate the same franchises multiple times in each and every generation, Hutchinson replied: "You want my real answer? I think there's a subtle racism in the business, especially on the journalists' side, where Japanese developers are forgiven for doing what they do. I think it's condescending to do this.

"Just think about how many Japanese games are released where their stories are literally gibberish. Literally gibberish. There's no way you could write it with a straight face, and the journalists say 'oh it is brilliant'.

"Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time.

Btw it's so funny to see such a focus on the storytelling part and not which of the two games they mention (which have nothing to do with each other, genre wise. Seriously, popamole shooter versus spectacle fighter?) is more fun to play.

Alex is right, in a way. I'm very racist and allergic against eurotrash games.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...hinson-game-journalists-exhibit-subtle-racism
Alex Hutchinson, the creative director of Assassin's Creed 3, has said that he believes games journalists give Japanese developers an easy ride, exhibiting a "subtle racism" which is condescending to those it favours.

Speaking in an interview with CVG, Hutchinson expressed his frustration with the press' treatment of what he sees as sub-standard story telling in Japanese games.
Asked about why Nintendo is able to endlessly iterate the same franchises multiple times in each and every generation, Hutchinson replied: "You want my real answer? I think there's a subtle racism in the business, especially on the journalists' side, where Japanese developers are forgiven for doing what they do. I think it's condescending to do this.

"Just think about how many Japanese games are released where their stories are literally gibberish. Literally gibberish. There's no way you could write it with a straight face, and the journalists say 'oh it is brilliant'.

"Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time.

Btw it's so funny to see such a focus on the storytelling part and not which of the two games they mention (which have nothing to do with each other, genre wise. Seriously, popamole shooter versus spectacle fighter?) is more fun to play.

This "creative director of Assassin's Creed 3" sounds retarded.
I don't know what the fuck Bayonetta is, but Miyazaki's work is clearly superior to any of Assassin's Creed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think the hilarious part is that he is talking about an issue that affects western games as well for starters, but also his own series since gaming journalists fawn over the writing of the Ass Creed series despite being a pile of shit. I mean, look at how much noise they made about The Last Of Us (the original, let's ignore the ludicrous sequel for a second), which has TV level writing at best. Those are the great masterpieces of western gaming writing as far as journalists are concerned, so to complain that they masturbate over shit Japanese writing is a bit hypocritical.

I would also argue that he probably doesn't understand that the eastern mindset always takes more of a "negative" attitude, and that the essence of their writing doesn't lie in the actual plot and characterizations or anything pertaining to the more visible and external elements but it's more about symbols and archetypes. That was the case even with Kurosawa.

Lastly, acting like you are tough shit in a medium like video games is ludicrous since even the best written game is only "average" compared to actual literature or a real great movie. If a game writer could actually produce something that would be fit for a quality book they wouldn't be writing for video games. Most of the time we understand that a game has good writing as far as video games go, and that applies to Torment as much as anything from Japan. I mean i love Avellone and what he did but come on, it's not like you can put him next to Martin, just to drive the point home.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
In order to understand the western game designer/director, you first need to understand that the pinnacle of creativity for them is to make your game as cinematic as possible.
Therefore, David Cage can be presented as a genius, and not the fucking fraud he is.
Uncharted 2 had this absolutely iconic moment of gameplay, where the hero was trying to run for his life while a big truck was rushing towards him downhill. Gameplay-wise, I remember that you had to hold down the directional stick during a minute.
Dark Souls barely has any cinematic feel, and is therefore an old relic from times ancient.

That's pretty much how people like this dude actually think. And how they see this medium. That is, by being apparently absolutely fucking blind to the speficity of the medium they're supposed to work with, and therefore relying mostly on another medium's old gimmicks.
They're frauds, and they're completely oblivious as to why, which is both annoying and tragic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In order to understand the western game designer/director, you first need to understand that the pinnacle of creativity for them is to make your game as cinematic as possible.

Something like this, yeah. I'd use a different word, "art" instead of "creativity".

It's something Alannah Pierce pointed out - journos tend to put cinematic games on the piedestal because they see them as "higher art". In this view the difference between TLoU2 and FTL is like the difference between 12 Years a Slave and the first Shrek. Shrek is an infinitely better movie (just like FTL is an infinitely better game) but it's animated plus a comedy so it could never win the same critical acclaim, let alone an Oscar, because films like 12 Years a Slave are considered more artistic, more "valuable".

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Worth pointing out that many of the great western games of the 90s weren't particularly cinematic, and that wasn't just because of technical limitations.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Worth pointing out that many of the great western games of the 90s weren't particularly cinematic, and that wasn't just because of technical limitations.

Sure but sometimes I can't help but thinking if stuff like Fallout, Lands of Lore, Prince of Persia, various Sierra or LucasArts games and others were made today they would cinematic the fuck out of them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know, i think people in general were just smarter then i doubt they would have failed to understand that games are an interactive medium and that you can't actually turn them into movies, even if they had the technical means to do so.

With that said, they are trying to turn the old classics into movies NOW lmao:

How much do you think it would cost to hire someone to kill the dirty motherfucker who ruined the graphics with that shitty filter?

Last edited:

:

This "creative director of Assassin's Creed 3" sounds retarded.
I don't know what the fuck Bayonetta is, but Miyazaki's work is clearly superior to any of Assassin's Creed.

Haven't played Gears of War, but Bayonetta is well written. It's very over the top, it's B-movie style of storytelling upped to eleven. It would never be released in the West, because western developers are obsessed with realism and Bayonetta doesn't give a fuck about realism. Bayonetta is gloriously immature. There is a wild energy to it.

Machocruz

Arcane
Seemed like the success of the X360 emboldened people to celebrate big budget western mediocrity at the expense of what came before or from overseas. Oblivion is objectively a sloppy game, but in its wake JRPGs, which journos thoroughly sucked off in previous generations, were now so much outdated detritus. It was deemed an improvement on Morrowind in every way as well. It was the first major salvo in the Age of Decline, afaic. It seemed nearly every major western AAA was a great leap forward for its series and or genre. I don't doubt if Thi4f released during this time, journos would have claimed it best in the series, and Thief 1 and 2 would have been dismissed as "archaic," one of their favorite words back then. And since a lot of people are followers without conviction or analytical ability, you heard the same exact terms and sentiments all over forums.

Granted , the constant fellating of certain Japanese games prior was also annoying, but overall for much of the 360 generation it really was the darkest timeline.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bayonetta is gloriously immature.

You can't be "gloriously" immature if immaturity is all you can do. There is no admirable intent behind the immaturity of Jap games, they just can't do anything else.

I've never ever seen anything truly mature and serious and realistic from Japanese developers, something on the level of Kingdom Come or RDR2. The closest they could get is stuff like MGS V or Dark Souls but even those games can't help themselves but slide into goofiness and silliness (or total retardedness, in the case of MGS).

If the Japs made Ghost of Tsushima they would stuff it with demons and giant robots, I guarantee you. They just don't know any better anymore. They have to rely with Kurosawa tributes on others.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Bayonetta is gloriously immature.

You can't be "gloriously" immature if immaturity is all you can do. There is no admirable intent behind the immaturity of Jap games, they just can't do anything else.

I've never ever seen anything truly mature and serious and realistic from Japanese developers, something on the level of Kingdom Come or RDR2. The closest they could get is stuff like MGS V or Dark Souls but even those games can't help themselves but slide into goofiness and silliness (or total retardedness, in the case of MGS).

If the Japs made Ghost of Tsushima they would stuff it with demons and giant robots, I guarantee you. They just don't know any better anymore. They have to rely with Kurosawa tributes on others.

The Matrix is actually Ghost in the Shell + Lain stripped of all interesting ideas.

Have a nice day.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Or you can always compare Ringu the book (which is like Horror version of Matrix) with very stylish but shaloow western The Ring from Caribbean pirates director lol.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
It is not just the gap but the Abyss between American and Japanese understanding of art. Even in such childish form as videogame.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Or you can always compare Ringu the book (which is like Horror version of Matrix) with very stylish but shaloow western The Ring from Caribbean pirates director lol.
Dude, what are you prattling about? We're not talking about films or books. And even if we were saying Ghost in the Shell is basically Matrix is retarded.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Dude, what are you prattling about? We're not talking about films or books. And even if we were saying Ghost in the Shell is basically Matrix is retarded.

Nevermind I'm just shitposting.
I could never into jRPGs anyway.

Machocruz

Arcane
Hutchinson must have been experiencing an alternate Earth. His story of kid gloves with Japan was not the one being told here. Or he was still butthurt about the PS2 days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom