Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does it has the stupid armor = 100% status effect resistance from DOS 2?

Shrimp

Arbiter
This game is going to make an absolute shit load of money (it already has), it already has nearly 2000 reviews and it was released hours ago..WTF... I wonder if this is good or bad for RPG's in general? I guess we will see. BTW from just brief look into game play so far it looks to me this game has one of the weaknesses I feared it might with Larian as the designer, and that is bad itemization. This issue made it difficult for me to enjoy their other games, but I was hoping it being D&D and BG might force them into being 'good' at itemization. Yet somehow they seem to fuck it up anyway, so it is something deep with in their design philosophy that causes them to believe bland loot is somehow enjoyable. I really don't understand this.

Am I over reacting with regards to the loot? I admit I have only seen a very brief amount so far, so I am hoping I am wrong about this. If I am right, maybe mods can fix it?? Maybe...?
The inclusion of stuff like extensive 3D character creation, cutscenes for regular dialogue, full voice acting etc is pushing CRPGs into AAA game territory.
Most other game dev companies producing CRPGs probably simply don't have the budget or manpower to produce something similar, so I wouldn't be concerned about seeing BG3 'clones' in the near future if that's what you're worried about.
I can't really give any solid estimates on what'll happen to the games, but I imagine most other devs simply will make due with what they have at their disposal and thus continue to create traditional CRPGs. I expect them to get marketed with taglines such as "taking the genre back to its roots" which I suppose is kind of ironic since that sentiment was what one of the driving forces behind the CRPG revival that started around the time when Kickstarter RPGs started popping up a handful of years ago.

I think "positive" is the highest possible rating which is 95% and above. Wasteland 3 maybe is on 79.6% or something, so Steam rounds up the number but still places it in the 70-80% bracket, while BG3 possibly sits at 80,3% so its in the higher bracket while showing the same number.
there is 'very positive' and 'overwhelmingly positive' too...'Caves of Quid', 'Fallout New Vegas' and 'The Witcher III' often sport that, and then there is positive. It seems to have something to do with sheer number of reviews. A 95% rating with 55 reviews has a 'positive' rating, 95% with 1000 reviews 'Very positive' and 95% with 55,000 reviews 'Overwhelmingly positive' or something..but still some of them don't make sense it feels like even accounting for that. Maybe it is rounding error, because Wasteland 3 is right on edge of 80%.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...lXA0u7EcPxdn51fUHSVO8JzxSitwfDZxNGS3FucQHYNbU

I played 15 hours of Baldur’s Gate 3 early access, and I want them back
Answering the question nobody asked: “What if Michael Bay made a D&D 5e game?”

Conclusions
If you're looking for the prettiest, flashiest RPG ever to grace a computer screen, Baldur's Gate 3 is almost certainly what you're looking for. There are few or no pre-rendered cutscenes, since the real-time engine itself is capable of producing nearly photorealistic scenery and faces.

For the most part, the game's engine also avoids the uncanny valley of humanoid faces that are almost, but not quite, perfect—it's very easy to watch your characters interact with others and feel like you're watching a movie, with fully rendered faces, bodies, movement, and expressions.

Unfortunately, this greatly magnifies the flaws in the scripting of both language and action. Your character feels real—but he or she also feels like someone who has only attended a couple of improv classes and has been given vague but very firm instructions on how to react to things.

Beyond the good looks of the graphics, I haven't found much in Baldur's Gate 3 to recommend it. Your character and party feel like insignificant gnats and are forced by circumstance to do and see awful things that they're not powerful enough to change. This is not a case of "tough moral choices" as seen in Wasteland 3, or in Obsidian's excellent 2016 RPG Tyranny—in Baldur's Gate 3, it feels like you have no agency at all.

The good
  • The graphics in this game are incredible—this is easily the best-looking RPG I've ever seen
  • Great artwork on top of the excellent engine—moody crypts, savage wildernesses, magical groves all "pop"
  • Large worlds, with little or no "zone time" for fast travel
The bad
  • Awkward, unsatisfying combat
  • Punishing dialog with frequent feat rolls practically demands save-scumming
  • Encounters often feel unbalanced and forced
The ugly
  • Your party hates you
  • All of the factions hate you
  • Watching innocent characters get murdered
  • Murdering innocent characters yourself

After playing this garbage for 45 minutes I can safely say it's a massive disappointment. It feels a lot like DoS 2 except it's much worse.
That's what I expected when I heard about this.

And now you can say positive parts. Some hairs on character screen looks cute, and elves don't have moustache.

The chainmail shirts look pretty cool. Although everything is way too clean and shiny like everyone takes 3 baths a day and is a neat freak who presses their puffy blousy shirt everyday before going to murder innocent farmers and their children.

BG3 triggered me into buying and playing Pathfinder Kingmaker finally. Since I decided to RP as Witch (with the mod that adds classes), I've now ended up with a quadruple femoid party to start the game with. Pretty sure 70% or more of the characters are femoid so far.
Seems like a great game in many ways but the gynocentrism (but just with manly woman characters, so dumb) is out of control, also how come half the portraits are complete shit while others are good, despite being seemly all drawn by the same artist?
download the character portrait mod, it has much better choices.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Just like everyone suspected the reason why BG3 is better rated and probably higher sales than W3 is because marketing and brand name.

W3 development almost had no coverage in leading up to it's release while BG3 is opposite mainstream gaming news constantly update BG3 development.

It will interesting if Larian didn't develop BG3 and instead to make sequel of Divinity Series, as i have seen so far that BG3 is not really different from DOS2.

I doubt DOS3 will have the same impact as BG3 if Larian decide to create sequel instead.

Last edited:
Is anyone else giddy with excitement for this to fail hard like all the other nostalgia driven cash grabs before?
It has COOP and 5E, normies and scrublors will likely love it, we already have some fags like that in this very thread. I loath the game but it'll likely do super well, that's the point of the trashy dev choice and the sellout use of the good BG name.
At this point most negative steam reviews are COOP bitches whining about desyncs, but some people point out it's mostly reskinned DOS2. I'll wait and see for now.
those CO-Op people are insufferable, annoying bitches. Wherever they tread decline soon follows in their wake; they should be murdered on sight.

Quillon

Arcane
Just like everyone suspected the reason why BG3 is better rated and probably higher sales than W3 is because marketing and brand name.

What is W3? If Wasteland 3; BG3 seems it would step on it multiple times then take a shit on it with its production values alone.

Narax

Educated
About 7 hours into the game, so far it feels like a very rough alpha build. You can tell the devs have big dreams for this game, but I highly doubt we will get the full release in a year's time, especially not in the current state of the game, and not to mention all the missing content.

Though I am patient, I will wait until then, and I suggest for people who don't want their experience ruined to wait.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
What is W3? If Wasteland 3; BG3 seems it would step on it multiple times then take a shit on it with its production values alone.

While i agree the production value is higher but that doesn't mean it translate to higher quality too.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So how bad it is exactly? Even pirating this is a big deal.

Music is atrocious, itemization is good, respectively they're going along with the DnD item system, combat is an improvement over DiV2, especially because that retarded armor system is gone. Animations in cutscenes looks really janky from time to time, but still better than Inquisition. Graphics are really good, and it kinda looks more serious than DiV2. Doesn't really feel like a Baldur's Gate game though, but that was to be expected from all the material we have seen so far. It's certainly not bad. At least I haven't seen anything so far that would have pissed me off big times.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The constant rolling gets old extremely fast.

I talk to a dwarf lady who claim she can cure me and instead trying to stab me with a poisoned wood. I rolled a 6 in a Agility check despite having 16 agility. Now I must pass three dialogue check in a row, each with a 50% succeed rate, to persuade her to give me the cure. I reload a dozen times and never make it. It's like the game is forcing me murder this bitch.

It's gonna be extremely hard to play a good character, the game will force you to kill person you don't want to kill because you had a bad roll. All of the companions (except Gale I suppose) are evil doesn't help either.

Also it's hilarious that shadow heart tries to hide what she is up to and who she is worshipping, but in the character info page they straight up shows evil cleric on it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom