Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vatnik Wumao
Maybe that was the point? To have them merely move on?
Yeah. I think we've seen the results of not kowtowing to them at all (Kingdom: Come Deliverance) and going full woke (Mass Erect: Androgynous).

Middle ground of appeasement seems to be their choice here.
Woke or no woke content, MEA would've still been shit.
But the woke content made it unplayable shit.

Plus, making woke content means hiring woke people to make the content. Which means shit game. Chicken or the egg.
The wokeness certainly contributed to its unplayability, but it was also made by a newer, less experienced BW team and it had also suffered from significant changes to the team throughout its development. It being mediocre or worse was unavoidable when BW decided to relegate the importance in development of what used to be one of their flagship franchises in favor of Anthem.
It was killed by it's own promise. The idea of a whole new galaxy, even in it's silly space opera tone, was pretty much certain to end up ridiculous, especially when ME just established it's own setting of not being a cheap Star Wars knock off.
Development decisions such as the bad design of the two new races and the ultimately meh character of the game's plotline certainly didn't help.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, listen up phaggotz, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

We appeased the "woke" subhumans by letting people choose any type of voice they want, so a dude can have a female voice. This way they're happy and it didn't cost us any extra work, win-win.
lol, I thought it was a bug.

lmao, they actually made tranny an option on chargen with this. oh man.
You could literally do the same thing in BG, dude.

IW1UbYv.png
Some people here are really emberassing themselves. First they complain about the spell icons being shit compared to BG, when it turns out many of the spell icons are the same as in BG. Then they complain about this voice change, which was also in BG. I wonder if these edgy Codexers played BG at all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

We appeased the "woke" subhumans by letting people choose any type of voice they want, so a dude can have a female voice. This way they're happy and it didn't cost us any extra work, win-win.

Some people here are really emberassing themselves. First they complain about the spell icons being shit compared to BG, when it turns out many of the spell icons are the same as in BG. Then they complain about this voice change, which was also in BG. I wonder if these edgy Codexers played BG at all.

Best one yet is about only making one choice when leveling up tho. Most level-up screens in the BGs literally consist of clicking OK :D

Last edited:

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Baldur's gate 3 will expose what BG 1 and 2 really were; mediocre rpg's based on a shit convoluted system hyped up by neckbeards who are blinded by their nostalgia.

Pepper ur anguses for a shitstorm of ownage this coming year and I will enjoy your tears when this 10/10 rpg releases.

Btw even in its alpha state riddled with bugs, it's already better than the old BG trash.

Hehe, c'mon now... There's no penance here, you know that.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Best one yet is about only making one choice when leveling up tho. Most level-up screens in the BGs consist of clicking OK once :D

Some people have already decided they hate it. It doesn't matter if its good, its bad. It doesn't matter if its a commercial and critical success, its a failure. It doesn't matter if people are having fun with it, its fake fun. The people having fun are WRONG, they aren't having fun, they are fakes, fakes, fakes FAKES, its bad, bad, BAD. Mantras and slogans and nitpicking. Martyring themselves on the altar of refusing to have fun.
Being a contrarian is a worse disease than cancer.

ChildInTime

Learned
I think what describes my experience with early access best is that scene with the bard, where you help her compose a song - the song itself is beautiful, sang in a very moving and touching scene, which gets almost ruined by the stiff cutscene animations. They really need to tighten that shit up before release, if they decided to go full cinematic style.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Larian is too big, too wealthy, too normie mainstream to make true Baldur's Gate 3. We should have simply expected turn-based Dragon Age: Origins with Terry Pratchett humour set in Forgotten Realms. When you re-adjust your expectations, itz not so bad*

*Larian.LLC reserves rights to completely & utterly fuck things up and shit down your throat until release

Thonius

Arcane

Best one yet is about only making one choice when leveling up tho. Most level-up screens in the BGs consist of clicking OK once :D

Some people have already decided they hate it. It doesn't matter if its good, its bad. It doesn't matter if its a commercial and critical success, its a failure. It doesn't matter if people are having fun with it, its fake fun. The people having fun are WRONG, they aren't having fun, they are fakes, fakes, fakes FAKES, its bad, bad, BAD. Mantras and slogans and nitpicking. Martyring themselves on the altar of refusing to have fun.
Such lack of self reflection.... fun is subjective. So if enough amount of people like to sniff jenkem(or what ever that "drug" called that some "people" in USA do) I should too? You'r logic is flawed.

Gyor

Savant
How is the writing overall? Have Larian managed to avoid their usual over the top light-hearted style?
Nope. Not so far. Feels like an Obsidian game, but with dice rolls instead of raw stat checks - which is of course good and bad.

The dice rolls make things feel kind of random. And the Obsidian-ness means the characters feel a bit edgy without a good reason.

Why do we all need to hate each other from minute one and work our way up from there?

Then again, the one guy that didn't act aggressively from the moment I met him was the wizard, and I just found him a pompous prick, so I killed him. :M

Larian said it was testing the evil/neutral characters here, the nicer good origin characters are coming later.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

So the first day peak player number was 73,980. We should see the weekend number but this already is comparable to the peak number of Dark Souls 2 and more than that of Stellaris (68,602). Each Dark Souls game sell millions over lifetime on Steam and Stellaris sold over 200K copies in first 24 hours.

And this is just Early Access number. D:OS2's EA launch peak was 2,836 and the official launch peak was 93,701.

(This reminds me how Mount & Blade 2's EA number was crazy. 248,216)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Such lack of self reflection.... fun is subjective. So if enough amount of people like to sniff jenkem(or what ever that "drug" called that some "people" in USA do) I should too? You'r logic is flawed.

"If most people like it, its probably good" has more value than "if most people like it, its probably bad", which is what all the contrarians on this forum preach.
Besides, I know from my experience playing that its good. I didn't need to have it told to me. And of course you know from your exper- oh wait, you've been saying its shit since before it was made. Nevermind.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I was comparing to Pathfinder.

BTW that stuff is gonna get a lot better when multiclassing is introduced.

Pathfinder gets it's build diversity through feats and ability choices. But the systems itself generally favor single class builds more than multiclassing.

5e has very braindead singleclassing (aside from fullcasters maybe) but goes very well for multiclassing and small dips and all.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Sounds like Trumpanzees.

Thonius

Arcane
Larian is too big, too wealthy, too normie mainstream to make true Baldur's Gate 3. We should have simply expected turn-based Dragon Age: Origins with Terry Pratchett humour set in Forgotten Realms. When you re-adjust your expectations, itz not so bad*

*Larian.LLC reserves rights to completely & utterly fuck things up and shit down your throat until release
Well so far dialogs are passable. Like, not too good not too bad. It's good, it's well okay, it's fine. Serviceable.
What we need is a animation slider.
"If most people like it, its probably good" has more value than "if most people like it, its probably bad", which is what all the contrarians on this forum preach.
Besides, I know from my experience playing that its good. I didn't need to have it told to me. And of course you know from your exper- oh wait, you've been saying its shit since before it was made. Nevermind.
So, if I don't like BRAND TM PRODUCT I must be edgy grognard fun denier scum? Maybe I just don't like X
If I don't like your favorite brand of cooomsume product I must be a troll? Righto.
From my experience BG3/DOS3 is meh to ok game. So what? I should dismiss it and jump on the bandwagon? Fuck off mate, stop white knighting your favorite product tm or present counter points.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
So the first day peak player number was 73,980. We should see the weekend number but this already is comparable to the peak number of Dark Souls 2 and more than that of Stellaris (68,602). Each Dark Souls game sell millions over lifetime on Steam and Stellaris sold over 200K copies in first 24 hours.

And this is just Early Access number. D:OS2's EA launch peak was 2,836 and the official launch peak was 93,701.

Are we marketing whores now ? WHO GIVES A SHIT. Is the game good ?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Oh, you like thing? You enjoy thing? BRANT TM CONSOOOOOOM CONSOOOOOM bandwagon fanboy CONSOOOOM u just like it cause its popular CONSOOOOOOM white knighting a product CONSOOOOOM democracy has failed CONSOOOOOM why wont women sleep with me CONSOOOOOOOOOM

Counter argument: drink 20 aspirins, step into a bath tub full of hot water and open your wrists. Remember, not across, but down the street, for more open surface area.
You are already opposed to joy and find it cynical, you already think that having fun is a corporate scheme for sheep, might as well evacuate from this evil material world that is oppressing you so.

I love you.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Oh, you like thing? You enjoy thing? BRANT TM CONSOOOOOOM CONSOOOOOM bandwagon fanboy CONSOOOOM u just like it cause its popular CONSOOOOOOM white knighting a product CONSOOOOOM democracy has failed CONSOOOOOM why wont women sleep with me CONSOOOOOOOOOM

Counter argument: drink 20 aspirins, step into a bath tub full of hot water and open your wrists. Remember, not across, but down the street, for more open surface area.
You are already opposed to joy and find it cynical, you already think that having fun is a corporate scheme for sheep, might as well evacuate from this evil material world that is oppressing you so.

I love you.
Did you just commit self pwned what?
Anyhow, it looks like " How dare you not like my X favorite thing!!!". You're clearly unhinged for some reason.
I suggest you take a small break, make a nice robust black tea, add mint/Melisa in it. Maybe pour some honey in it. Relax. Take a walk or just look out of your window, try to focus on vegetation. Maybe grab a binoculars and take a peek at bird ( crows are funny birds). Just relax.
Yes, I dare not to cream my pants because of BG3 release. Poor me. Gotta commit sudoku. I just don't get what's your stake in this? Are you working for Larian? Explain yourself in calm manner please. This is RPG codex not a Steamturd forum.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wtf, this is starting to sound like the Steam forum now with fanboys attacking people with legit issues with the game.

1. Story/presentation is lacking
2. DnD 5e sucks (apparently)
3. It's DOS 2.5
4. 4 party limit
5. Theme park
6. Camera and control issues
7. Confusing/bad UI
8. Level up is boring
9. Cartoony, exaggerated animations etc

That is my issues, not hating for hating or anything. It just seems poor. I had a ton of issues with Pathfinder too in the beginning, but playing it now it was a genuine joy. I could see though that it was a "spiritual successor" to the BG games, but I have a hard time seeing this game shape up to anything enjoyable in the same way, just too many fundamental issues for me. While some can be fixed of course, but it's still gonna be a DOS game in disguise.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Interesting that the a female char at chargen flashes full nipple since her clothes load a second after her body does...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom