Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Wtf, this is starting to sound like the Steam forum now with fanboys attacking people with legit issues with the game.
Steam forums are a known lair of utter retards. Don't waste your time. The only good community feature on Steam is the statistical measure of positive/negative reviews.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wtf, this is starting to sound like the Steam forum now with fanboys attacking people with legit issues with the game.
I am not attacking anyone on legit issues though. I've posted legit issues earlier.
I am attacking people who think that disliking something is a position of moral superiority. People who think that between a person A who likes the game, and a person B who hates the game, person B somehow has a more worthy opinion. That you need to explain and excuse your enjoyment of a game, but your dislike of a game is natural and implied. That you need to justify having fun, but hating something is its own reward.

Don't do that.

Thonius

Arcane

1. Story/presentation is lacking
2. DnD 5e sucks (apparently)
3. It's DOS 2.5
4. 4 party limit
5. Theme park
6. Camera and control issues
7. Confusing/bad UI
8. Level up is boring
9. Cartoony, exaggerated animations etc

That is my issues, not hating for hating or anything. It just seems poor. I had a ton of issues with Pathfinder too in the beginning, but playing it now it was a genuine joy. I could see though that it was a "spiritual successor" to the BG games, but I have a hard time seeing this game shape up to anything enjoyable in the same way, just too many fundamental issues for me. While some can be fixed of course, but it's still gonna be a DOS game in disguise.
That's like 90% of my list. I think level up is boring due to presentation. Also companions are eh...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Oh, listen up phaggotz, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

We appeased the "woke" subhumans by letting people choose any type of voice they want, so a dude can have a female voice. This way they're happy and it didn't cost us any extra work, win-win.
lol, I thought it was a bug.

lmao, they actually made tranny an option on chargen with this. oh man.
You could literally do the same thing in BG, dude.

IW1UbYv.png
Some people here are really emberassing themselves. First they complain about the spell icons being shit compared to BG, when it turns out many of the spell icons are the same as in BG. Then they complain about this voice change, which was also in BG. I wonder if these edgy Codexers played BG at all.

Best one yet is about only making one choice when leveling up tho. Most level-up screens in the BGs consist of clicking OK once :D

Some people have already decided they hate it. It doesn't matter if its good, its bad. It doesn't matter if its a commercial and critical success, its a failure. It doesn't matter if people are having fun with it, its fake fun. The people having fun are WRONG, they aren't having fun, they are fakes, fakes, fakes FAKES, its bad, bad, BAD. Mantras and slogans and nitpicking. Martyring themselves on the altar of refusing to have fun.
Being a contrarian is a worse disease than cancer.
I said above that the game wasn't terrible and that I enjoy the combat. I just noticed the woke bits too. Why are you acting like such a fanboy fag?

And you're right that BG level ups were simple, but we're rating this on a scale that includes other RPGs. BG has been criticized here for nearly two decades for its simplicity, among other things.

Thonius

Arcane
I'm sounding like broken record but they should really take a look at Kingmaker level up presentation. You see what you get on what level, some options too. Clear, simple makes you look towards particular level, good for build planning.
Good and clear:
Pathfinder_Kingmaker_Ultimate_Guide_Character-creation-1536x864.jpg.webp
Compared to (have no level up screen handy, but all people here I bet already quite familiar):
best-starter-class-bg3.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously if you dislike the Larian style of RPG you won't like this game either.

I just think it's funny though that for years the grognard consensus™ regarding the original Baldur's Gate games was that BioWare basically ruined the CPRG genre by 1) Establishing RTwP as the dominant combat system. 2) Neglecting choice & consequence. If only Baldur's Gate had been turn-based with lots of reactivity, we would have liked it!

Now we have a Baldur's Gate 3 made by a studio that, whatever else you want to say about them, seems obsessed with those two things, and it turns out that nope, that's not quite enough. :P

Gyor

Savant
So the first day peak player number was 73,980. We should see the weekend number but this already is comparable to the peak number of Dark Souls 2 and more than that of Stellaris (68,602). Each Dark Souls game sell millions over lifetime on Steam and Stellaris sold over 200K copies in first 24 hours.

And this is just Early Access number. D:OS2's EA launch peak was 2,836 and the official launch peak was 93,701.

Are we marketing whores now ? WHO GIVES A SHIT. Is the game good ?

It matters because the way Larian works, the more successful and profittable the game is, the more free extra stuff they put into the game. Look at the last DLC for DOS2, new items, new dungeons, enemies, and so on, most companies would charge for that, but DOS2 was so successful, Larian just gave the DLC away for free, and it was substancial content, with voice over and so on.

Van-d-all

Erudite
I'm sounding like broken record but they should really take a look at Kingmaker level up presentation. You see what you get on what level, some options too. Clear, simple makes you look towards particular level, good for build planning.
On a fair note, Kingmaker build-crafting is way more complicated, and even with it's presentation I still spent good 30h cheating characters up to level 20 just to see how they will end up before being satisfied with the choices. I never played Pathfinder before though. I'm under the impression that in BG3, just like BGs 1 & 2, knowledge of the ruleset is somewhat assumed.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
So far, the game sucks.

5e is an abomination. Like the story and the dialogue in the game, it was written by and designed for people with double digit IQs. I feel badly for those that try and defend it. It feels disgusting, because it is.

The game itself seems to consist almost entirely of jumping and hip hopping around to collect random junk, which begins seconds after starting, and doesn't stop. There is no player agency or cohesion, or interest in events. Next to zero connection to any of the 50 year history of d&d.

Actually i can't even bring myself to go further, it's been done and basically all the negative points from the other thread that were inferred about what it would be like have come top pass. Not to mention the game, as it is, is at least a year or more to some kind of completion.

Redeeming qualities are all superficial, good graphics and sound, and githyanki's are fuckable. It will sell more than enough to make another one.

Quite simply, it is decline and no argument in this life could make it otherwise.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Have you people considered the mere possibility of female voices being selectable on male characters (and vice versa) is due to the game still being years away from being finished?

Gyor

Savant

So the first day peak player number was 73,980. We should see the weekend number but this already is comparable to the peak number of Dark Souls 2 and more than that of Stellaris (68,602). Each Dark Souls game sell millions over lifetime on Steam and Stellaris sold over 200K copies in first 24 hours.

And this is just Early Access number. D:OS2's EA launch peak was 2,836 and the official launch peak was 93,701.

(This reminds me how Mount & Blade 2's EA number was crazy. 248,216)

That is just for PC Steam right? Does it count Steam Mac, Stadia, and GOG?

Thonius

Arcane
On a fair note, Kingmaker build-crafting is way more complicated, and even with it's presentation I still spent good 30h cheating characters up to level 20 just to see how they will end up before being satisfied with the choices. I never played Pathfinder before though.
Yeah, DnD5 is streamlined. But I want to know when I get X to get excited to it. Capish?

Van-d-all

Erudite
On a fair note, Kingmaker build-crafting is way more complicated, and even with it's presentation I still spent good 30h cheating characters up to level 20 just to see how they will end up before being satisfied with the choices. I never played Pathfinder before though.
Yeah, DnD5 is streamlined. But I want to know when I get X to get excited to it. Capish?
It's AD&D, you're supposed to already know.

Thonius

Arcane
Anyhow, I had more Fun out of Solasta DEMO (BG3 Is at best defined as DEMO in current state). And it's LEGIT free!;)
Weird they got allegedly same system under the hood.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now we have a Baldur's Gate 3 made by a studio that, whatever else you want to say about them, seems obsessed with those two things

> larian
> obsessed with choice and consequence

my sides

More along the lines of "reactivity" than what the Codex might classically think of as "choice and consequence" perhaps, but yes, they are. Origins, tags, all that stuff. Look how much they've invested into this gameplay where you can play as any companion as if he was the protagonist.

Last edited:

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Obviously if you dislike the Larian style of RPG you won't like this game either.

What's that supposed to mean ? There's nothing obvious because "it's Larian".

Swen chased the Baldur's Gate franchise to make a Baldur's Gate game for a reason. You can innovate, do your own thing and create a game based on your ideas/dreams but you also have to throw all the brushes that are necessary to make the game feel like a Baldur's Gate title (using your Larian ways, np with that), otherwise why did you bother to get the franchise ? Sorry but so far, that's not the case.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Calm down bro.
I am calm. If I was mad, I would've written an essay in the form of a logical argument or something autistic. I only shitpost when calm and careless.

I just don't get what's your stake in this?
I wrote what my stake is multiple times, in multiple threads. The latest time was here:

I am attacking people who think that disliking something is a position of moral superiority. People who think that between a person A who likes the game, and a person B who hates the game, person B somehow has a more worthy opinion. That you need to explain and excuse your enjoyment of a game, but your dislike of a game is natural and implied. That you need to justify having fun, but hating something is its own reward.

I hate how all of the "hardcore" RPG communities right now value dislike more than like, and think liking stuff is weakness or some shit. It feels stupid to even write down, but this is exactly how people are acting. You like something? Explain yourself, soiboi! You better have good reasons for liking something, else we'll show you!!! Oh, you hate something? High five, me too! Always like that. People unironically posting how they can't wait for this or that game to be shit. Not "can't wait to play it, i hope its good", like we used to. Its "cant wait to shit on it, i hope its bad".

Just quit the hobby if you don't like video games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now we have a Baldur's Gate 3 made by a studio that, whatever else you want to say about them, seems obsessed with those two things

> larian

my sides

More "reactivity" than what the Codex might classically think of as "choice and consequence" perhaps, but yes, they are. Origins, tags, all that stuff. Look how much they've invested into this gameplay where you can play as any companion as if he was the protagonist.
They were all unlikeable cunt lol. Also did it really have much of a choice? From what i remember the games were pretty linear,at least the first one allowed you go back to places. In the second one you just push forward and do some side shit,you couldn't really return in to finished places/chapters. I don't remember having an actual choices.

Gyor

Savant

I just think it's funny though that for years the grognard consensus™ regarding the original Baldur's Gate games was that BioWare basically ruined the CPRG genre by 1) Establishing RTwP as the dominant combat system. 2) Neglecting choice & consequence. If only Baldur's Gate had been turn-based with lots of reactivity, we would have liked it!

Now we have a Baldur's Gate 3 made by a studio that, whatever else you want to say about them, seems obsessed with those two things, and it turns out that nope, that's not quite enough. :P

Different Grognard generations. The first was mine generation and older, where my first CRPGs where TB like the Gold Box Games, Bard's Tales, one of the Ultima's (the one with Blackthorn as a villian and that Shadowlord things). The Grognards bitching are mostly the generation that started with BG1&2, and than played the other RTwP games came afterwards.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

> larian

my sides

More "reactivity" than what the Codex might classically think of as "choice and consequence" perhaps, but yes, they are. Origins, tags, all that stuff. Look how much they've invested into this gameplay where you can play as any companion as if he was the protagonist.

You making decisions and "playing a role", and the world reacting to your decisions and acknowledging "your role", is what RPG is supposed to mean. Not stats and tables, even Call of Duty has that.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I'm gonna stop playing now. It's buggy and very unstable. Just lost two hour of progress because the game crashes during the end of fight.

Let's see what larian do with it. Currently the comabat, exploring and skill checks are all quite messy and weren't really enjoyable.

Gyor

Savant

> larian

my sides

They were all unlikeable cunt lol. Also did it really have much of a choice? From what i remember the games were pretty linear,at least the first one allowed you go back to places. In the second one you just push forward and do some side shit,you couldn't really return in to finished places/chapters. I don't remember having an actual choices.

They were the evil/neutral origin companions, the nice ones are coming later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom