Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

chemicalnatzy

Novice
Damn, I understand that it's not yet fully optimized but I can barely pull 10 fps. Meanwhile Wasteland 3 is running Ok on the same system.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

a cut of domestic sheep prime

That... is worrying.
What? You expected this to be a gold box game? A 2d isometric game?

Well, no. But I was hoping for something non-bland. So not DA:O.
And what was bland about DA:O besides the Derp Roads?

You could leave a character to be raped by nobles, help in blood rituals etc. It was full of edgy stuff and even the main plot was designed to be personalized to the player, getting custom secondary villains and intros.

There were certainly aspects of it that were uninteresting, sure, but that was more due to the world design, not the dialog or the actions the player was allowed to take.

All that said though, I’m not comparing the game world or the plot to D:AO in terms of how interesting it is, just in terms of the fact that that’s what it resembles more so than D:OS.

I haven’t seen enough of the game world or story to rate it properly or to compare it to games adequately beyond “it reminds me of X more than Y”.

So far, I’m still on the first map after the prologue and I’m currently dealing with some uninteresting village or teiflings, humans and druids who want to kick both of them out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
That... is worrying.
What? You expected this to be a gold box game? A 2d isometric game?

Well, no. But I was hoping for something non-bland. So not DA:O.
And what was bland about DA:O besides the Derp Roads?

You could leave a character to be raped by nobles, help in blood rituals etc. It was fully of edgy stuff and even the main plot was designed to be personalized to the player, getting custom secondary villains and intros.

There were certainly aspects of it that were uninteresting, sure, but that was more due to the world design, not the dialog or the actions the player was allowed to take.

All that said though, I’m not comparing the game world or the plot to D:AO in terms of how interesting it is, just in terms of the fact that that’s what it resembles more so than D:OS.

I haven’t seen enough of the game world or story to rate it properly or to compare it to games adequately beyond “it reminds me of X more than Y”.

So far, I’m still on the first map after the prologue and I’m currently dealing with some uninteresting village or teiflings, humans and druids who want to kick both of them out.

I mean exactly the worldbuilding. Some specific instances of what was done with it were edgy, true. But they failed to make me care. All that made even worse by the horrendously small variety of enemies.

frajaq

Erudite
twitch extension lets you see party members stats/equipment/spells, who even asked for this shit lmao

8iom881.png

a cut of domestic sheep prime

But DA:O was bland as fuck. I want BG3 to be better than that :(

DA: Origins has better writing than BG3.
Maybe, maybe not.

So far, I'm more interested in BG3 than I was my first time playing DA:O.

What, you didn't enjoy solving the riddle of the talking chicken? Or getting rid of the dude who constantly interrupted you by initiating dialogue?

In principle I agree, but at least Irenicus delivered some muahaha monologue while torturing you. This drag cthulhu just shoves his worm in your eye and flies away. Did the writers spend all their attention on copying the Arcanum intro?

BG1 and BG2 have better writing than BG3.
I would say...this is probably true.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The combat is fine,but the levelling seems very much,like the shitty one of second edition. The ui is really fucking bad. The inventory lacks any sorting options outside of the categories. The pathfinding AI is total shit,people constantly walk trough the fires. Also the environmental effects don't go away,shit keeps on burning.

So it's Divinity Original Sin 3 is what you are saying basically? Good to know...

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The most helpful review on steam like right now is from someone that said they worked on Baldur's Gate 40 years ago and isn't totally happy that they called it Baldur's Gate 3 (tho it could also just be by someone from here lol):
It is clearly David Gaider.
Looking through Mobygames, I think it might be Andrew Nobbs. His game credits list is the one that most aligns with what's stated in the review. https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,27154/

The most helpful review on steam like right now is from someone that said they worked on Baldur's Gate 40 years ago and isn't totally happy that they called it Baldur's Gate 3 (tho it could also just be by someone from here lol):

This appears to be the individual in question: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,46666/
No TotSC in this guy's list, though.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Companions: So far there are 5 companions available, most likely one of which you will NEVER use, as party size is limited and you won't want to double up with your own protagonist's choice in class. I haven't played far enough to be fair, but initial impressions are there is a lot of anger and bossy people in this world, and not enough fun and adventure seeker's.
Laughed hard at this. Did you know that BG1 had 24 NPCs, of which 8 aren't available until chapter 4? And if you recruit them then, they'll be level one. From chapter 4 to chapter 7 there's only a few hours of gameplay. So literally nobody recruits these guys. You, the supposed "BG1-maker" fucked up 1/3 of your NPCs, so don't even talk pls.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Laughed hard at this. Did you know that BG1 had 24 NPCs, of which 8 aren't available until chapter 4? And if you recruit them then, they'll be level one. From chapter 4 to chapter 7 there's only a few hours of gameplay. So literally nobody recruits these guys. You, the supposed "BG1-maker" fucked up 1/3 of your NPCs, so don't even talk pls.
Modding rescues these NPCs, but that's no excuse. They really should've had them scale to the same level as the PC.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The combat is fine,but the levelling seems very much,like the shitty one of second edition. The ui is really fucking bad. The inventory lacks any sorting options outside of the categories. The pathfinding AI is total shit,people constantly walk trough the fires. Also the environmental effects don't go away,shit keeps on burning.

So it's Divinity Original Sin 3 is what you are saying basically? Good to know...
Ahh nah the combat is better,the ui is a lot worst,the game feels a lot clunky. The checks feel like playing with a shitty DM. The writing,i haven't seen enough of it to judge. Have seen a bunch of sjw garbage and a bunch of stupid shit like killing a devourer with your bare arms when you have a weapon.

Indeed... none of it ever to be seen again in the age of the hambeast SJW.
Yeah dragon age is in times better than this game for sure.

Poseidon00

Arcane
So anyone can make a comment about the story so far?

Does it show potential? Any connection with the Bhaalspawn Saga? Or is it all just Larian herpderp?

Haven't unraveled much of the main story seeing as it is Act 1.

The characters that aren't your companions are all surprisingly decent. Talking to random folks is entertaining in itself. I can at least say I like the setting around the story.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
twitch extension lets you see party members stats/equipment/spells, who even asked for this shit lmao
But it's like I'm playing the game with my favorite streamer. He even asks me which dialogue option I think he should choose. larian priorities

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Probably not playing this until it's finished, and don't want to watch too many vids that will spoil the experience. Can I get a quick yes/no on whether it basically plays like turn-based Dragon Age: Origins? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom