Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
zpco7SE.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sands of Salzaar English version is released today, and with a nice discount!

After looking a little more closely at the status of the Early Access, I've discovered that the game is indeed playable from start to finish in its current state, and there is apparently even a "legacy" system that carries some progress between playthroughs. I might just go ahead and start playing it now and see what kind of shape it's in.

You are forced to use English VO in English mode :decline:

Well the game is mostly text based tho but it triggers me that the opening movie VO is in English. Probably the grunt/quip in game too.

Jinn

Arcane
You are forced to use English VO in English mode :decline:

Well the game is mostly text based tho but it triggers me that the opening movie VO is in English. Probably the grunt/quip in game too.

There is a feedback function right ingame, so make sure to express your desire to have an option for Chinese voice acting. The developers seem very open to feedback, from what I've seen.

Initial impressions are good. The translation is definitely one of the best Chinese->English I've seen, with maybe only Gujian 3 being better. I've only played a little, so I can't comment too much on gameplay, but the game seems like an interesting mix of Mount and Blade/Kenshi, with action-RPG combat somewhat reminiscent of Diablo 2, but definitely with more emphasis on positioning and movement (IE - quite a lot better, imo), and a bit of Musuo-type games. There seems to be a lot of variety in starting classes and a fair amount of freedom in building out your characters from there too, with trainers scattered around the lands and skill books available for acquiring and purchasing. The setting is great, I like the environmental and character artwork a lot, and the music has been very good so far too. It's a really unique experience, is about the only way I can sum it up right now.

I'm playing "Expert" mode with one of the "Normal" difficulty starting classes to see how far I can get. Expert mode is essentially a anti-savescumming mode with a single save, but not quite Ironman from what I can tell. Nothing too crazy challenging in the first couple hours, but I did almost die about 2 times.

EDIT: Nevermind, as I venture out further into the gigantic world there is to explore, I'm getting my ass handed to me more and more. A very good sign indeed. Also starting to notice a lot more of the world simulation that's occurring around me, with things like notable NPCs joining and leaving particular factions, special bazaars springing up, times tournaments tied to faction favor starting here and there. Very cool!

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The Legend of Liāu Thiam-Ting, side-scroll action adventure based on actual Taiwanese Robin Hood during the Japanese occupation.

ss_1c14bd8975a83f78314e6edefe5fb9b330ffa716.600x338.jpg
ss_bafaf1a17cbaff227737791c9d3c32403ae7f318.600x338.jpg

kirin

Learned
Initial impressions are good. The translation is definitely one of the best Chinese->English I've seen, with maybe only Gujian 3 being better. I've only played a little, so I can't comment too much on gameplay, but the game seems like an interesting mix of Mount and Blade/Kenshi, with action-RPG combat somewhat reminiscent of Diablo 2, but definitely with more emphasis on positioning and movement (IE - quite a lot better, imo), and a bit of Musuo-type games. There seems to be a lot of variety in starting classes and a fair amount of freedom in building out your characters from there too, with trainers scattered around the lands and skill books available for acquiring and purchasing. The setting is great, I like the environmental and character artwork a lot, and the music has been very good so far too. It's a really unique experience, is about the only way I can sum it up right now.

I'm playing "Expert" mode with one of the "Normal" difficulty starting classes to see how far I can get. Expert mode is essentially a anti-savescumming mode with a single save, but not quite Ironman from what I can tell. Nothing too crazy challenging in the first couple hours, but I did almost die about 2 times.

EDIT: Nevermind, as I venture out further into the gigantic world there is to explore, I'm getting my ass handed to me more and more. A very good sign indeed. Also starting to notice a lot more of the world simulation that's occurring around me, with things like notable NPCs joining and leaving particular factions, special bazaars springing up, times tournaments tied to faction favor starting here and there. Very cool!

How is the open world sandbox, is it dynamic/alive or just a bigger disney theme park? How is the reactivity and C&C?

Not really interested in playing another Diablo like MOBA style clickfest with waves of identical mobs to grind through. At least the Musou games were tight, responsive action games. But if it has that M&B comparison then that's interesting to me.

The silk road setting is neat, though. Reminds me a bit of this:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My best guess is the Chinese government. They were restrictive as all hell during some periods.

Jinn

Arcane
How is the open world sandbox, is it dynamic/alive or just a bigger disney theme park? How is the reactivity and C&C?

Well, as I said, there is a lot of dynamic world simulation occurring around you. You can absolutely effect it and take part in skirmishes and wars. You can even own your own town, and probably an entire region eventually. Factions are very reactive, and you'll be cut off from and offered varied quests depending on your relationship with different factions and individuals. The "C&C" is integrated into the gameplay, in other words. Not thrown in your face.

Not really interested in playing another Diablo like MOBA style clickfest with waves of identical mobs to grind through

It's not really a click fest. You have to be very conscious of your positioning and skill usage in combat, particularly against harder opponents. They will wipe you and your forces out quickly if you don't take a definitive stand on the battlefield. Also, you only click once to initiate attack - you don't have to repeatedly click on the same enemy. The AI has a tendency to scatter throughout the battle map almost as soon as you clash with them, which is a bit annoying. I hope they tighten it up and give you more control of your own units as they continue on in early access. Sieges are about as close to any kind of "MOBA" style gameplay you'll find anywhere near this game. Basically it's a divide and conquer type scenario most of the time in Sieges, where you're capturing and defending objective points until you can take the main objective. In conclusion, I despise MOBAs and don't much care for Diablo 2-esque gameplay at all and I love the game. Take that as you will.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Free Action-RPG Genshin Impact was released today. It's anime as fuck, but goddamn it seems to be actually good. I thought since it was free it'd be riddled with mandatory microtransactions, but from everything I've seen so far, it's all completely optional and doesn't hinder the gameplay at all. It's not trying to rub your face into them at all either. Very impressed, honestly. If you try it out, I highly recommend switching the voice acting to Chinese.

IceyD

Scholar
yeah i can't wait to dive back in later today. the game is visually stunning. funny how a chinese developer nails the anime aesthetic so well.

kirin

Learned

Well, as I said, there is a lot of dynamic world simulation occurring around you. You can absolutely effect it and take part in skirmishes and wars. You can even own your own town, and probably an entire region eventually. Factions are very reactive, and you'll be cut off from and offered varied quests depending on your relationship with different factions and individuals. The "C&C" is integrated into the gameplay, in other words. Not thrown in your face.

That is very interesting! Could you say more about your experiences with the sim?

Free Action-RPG Genshin Impact was released today. It's anime as fuck, but goddamn it seems to be actually good. I thought since it was free it'd be riddled with mandatory microtransactions, but from everything I've seen so far, it's all completely optional and doesn't hinder the gameplay at all. It's not trying to rub your face into them at all either. Very impressed, honestly. If you try it out, I highly recommend switching the voice acting to Chinese.

just fyi there was a warning on reddit that the game's anti-cheat runs even when you're not playing, might wanna look into whether that's resolved.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's surprisingly not bad. Kinda behind the curve when it comes to some trends, seeing as QTEs are more or less phased out at this point, but combat seems enjoyable and engaging enough. Definitely less on "be wary when engaging" side than you'd expect from having a stamina bar that affects both your dodges and attacks, though. If shrines are too widely spread out I can see how manual saving could get annoying. They do give you an item with fire resistance if final boss poses a problem, but dodges seem to be a non-issue.

Jinn

Arcane
Taiwanese 2D metroidvania/soulsborne clone Vigil: The Longest Night out today. Looks pretty good all around. The translation is supposed to be a bit spotty, but doesn't look terrible from what I've seen.

EDIT: Translation seems high quality so far as far as Chinese/Taiwanese games go. A few little errors here and there, but overall nicely done.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played the demo a while back. I'll pick it up when I have a little less on my plate.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Xuan Yuan 7 is cuck game

qXRCHwe.png

The concept of Ai (愛) was developed by the Chinese philosopher Mozi in the 4th century BC in reaction to Confucianism's benevolent love. Mozi tried to replace what he considered to be the long-entrenched Chinese over-attachment to family and clan structures with the concept of "universal love" (jiān'ài, 兼愛). In this, he argued directly against Confucians who believed that it was natural and correct for people to care about different people in different degrees. Mozi, by contrast, believed people in principle should care for all people equally. Mohism stressed that rather than adopting different attitudes towards different people, love should be unconditional and offered to everyone without regard to reciprocation, not just to friends, family and other Confucian relations.
:flamesaw:

Vatnik Wumao
Xuan Yuan 7 is cuck game

qXRCHwe.png

The concept of Ai (愛) was developed by the Chinese philosopher Mozi in the 4th century BC in reaction to Confucianism's benevolent love. Mozi tried to replace what he considered to be the long-entrenched Chinese over-attachment to family and clan structures with the concept of "universal love" (jiān'ài, 兼愛). In this, he argued directly against Confucians who believed that it was natural and correct for people to care about different people in different degrees. Mozi, by contrast, believed people in principle should care for all people equally. Mohism stressed that rather than adopting different attitudes towards different people, love should be unconditional and offered to everyone without regard to reciprocation, not just to friends, family and other Confucian relations.
:flamesaw:

Mohism is also an extremely militant philosophy. They acknowledge a world of universal love is not the natural state of affairs and needs to be enforced with violence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom