Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X The Unsurpassed Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri thread

Favorite Faction?

• Total voters

Guvide

Educated
Kalin sent me the mod and I just played it 6 hours straight. Not played SMAC before.
:what:
Why does the rest of the civ franchise even exist????? Goddamn consumers. Only the best civ4 mods can hold a candle to this.... and even then, not really.
I remember reading an old SMAC review where the author stated that he didn't like the game because thematically it was too out there and he could not identify with anything going on on screen. As usual normies ruin everything.

Absinthe

Arcane
BING XI LAO, welcome to SMAC. There is a reason why we call it "unsurpassed." I would recommending playing the game in Classic mode first. Generally we use Kyrub's AI enhancement patch, but scient's patch works too. The mod you are playing tries to remove a lot of the stupid stuff the expansion adds to the game though, but generally the expansion waters down the quality of the game. Our mod is a mix of some weird shit a modder made of the game and attempts to remove the dumber additions of the expansion. We've generally been re-tuning the mod in the direction of being less stupid (and fixing degenerate stuff that is possible in the base game, like supply crawler abuse).

Guvide

Educated
Oh, yes, definitely play classic, or at the very least if you want to play with the expansion play with the original factions. The ones added in the expansion are retarded and/or unbalanced.

Absinthe

Arcane
Just to be clear scient's patch does not improve AI. It's just a bugfixing patch. Kyrub's AI patch works off of an older version of scient's patch, and we vastly prefer it because after a while the standard singleplayer AI ceases to present a meaningful challenge.

Silva

Arcane
Is there a way to patch the AI for asking a sum of credits for dropping a vendetta against a third party? So instead of "So be it. As a personal favor to you I'll drop the vendetta." is could be "I can do, but it will cost you X creds to compensate for whatever". And perhaps make this cost dependent on a number of factors?

Right now it's too easy - even on Transcendi - to manipulate the AI into the status quo you prefer. Only once in all my life I seen the AI refuse this (it was Domai who refused, I dont remember against whom).

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
cNwHxY9.png
c9951cf69e0da48398f0bf2eb8721014.png

passerby

Arcane
Why does the rest of the civ franchise even exist????? Goddamn consumers. Only the best civ4 mods can hold a candle to this.... and even then, not really.
I remember reading an old SMAC review where the author stated that he didn't like the game because thematically it was too out there and he could not identify with anything going on on screen. As usual normies ruin everything.

I had a friend in uni I played some civ 2 multi with that used the same argument.

scient

Augur
Just a heads up and an open invitation if anyone wants to weigh-in on morale, Children's Creche or Brood Pit related bugs here. Already fixed one where units that had a home base rioting with negative morale SE would actually get combat bonuses due to some premature bounding (code can be viewed here).

Original code for analysis:
* How morale is displayed via say_morale()
* Base combat offensive calc via get_basic_offense()
* Base combat defensive calc via get_basic_defense()

I'm hoping to resolve some of the long standing issues via code outlined here and here for the next release.

Comte

Oh, yes, definitely play classic, or at the very least if you want to play with the expansion play with the original factions. The ones added in the expansion are retarded and/or unbalanced.

You're not wrong about retarded/unbalanced but, once you learn how to play, you'll inevitably and easily defeat the AI every time. There's nothing wrong with trying expansion factions for fun new playstyle. Starting off on the water as Pirates is particularly giddy, despite its silliness.

BING XI LAOOur mod is a mix of some weird shit a modder made of the game and attempts to remove the dumber additions of the expansion. We've generally been re-tuning the mod in the direction of being less stupid (and fixing degenerate stuff that is possible in the base game, like supply crawler abuse).

A lot of people understand the game and its mechanics better than I do. My only justification is that my modding changed gameplay to more closely resemble what I enjoy. What you wrote above recommends nothing about the mod, so I can't imagine why you lot stick with it. You should play vanilla or another mod like Thinker or Will to Power, both of which are much more clever. They're not optimized for multiplayer but neither is vanilla.

I don't recommend anyone play my mod. It's based off Yitzi patch which sometimes crashes during mind worm combat after turn 100. I like it (I would) but I'm on-and-off working on a better one that takes advantage of numerous new hax to the exe. Codex PBEM crew autistically went through the txt line-by-line and denounced it as not making any sense, which it doesn't when you don't take the exe alterations into account, but that's Codex for you. They instinctively hate anything new as knee-jerk reaction to everything that came out within the past twenty years being utter garbage. I was quite startled they adopted my mod in the first place. Most bro thing the swede ever did.

So, if multiplayer, try Nevill's mod or my new one when it comes out. If singleplayer, try Thinker or Will to Power.

Legit dude who the fuck are you? And how do you have almost 2 million posts?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
...I am kinda curious as well. I never released my mod (unless I forgot about it; it was collecting dust for 10 years after all), so the only people who know about it are the ones I played with (and the ones I could convince about what constitutes an exploit). Are you perhaps known under another nickname?

What is your mod and where can I read about what the Codexian Consensus liked (or didn't like) about it? Is it somewhere in the Binary Dawn thread?

If you don't want it out in public, please PM me. I'd do it myself, but your profile is set to private so the option is not available.

Edit: Oh. D'oh. Nevermind then.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Comte, he's MercantileInterest/Usury under another name change.

Elegy, as for playing under the mod or not, honestly, I'm not married to the mod either, but people seem to like it and I like some of the stuff it does (mostly the rebalancing shit to avoid supply crawlers and some of the SPs being moved to later). Honestly trying out another mod might be worth trying, but we'll probably end up editing that one a bit too. And on a side note, as a matter of fact, vanilla was balanced for multiplayer. They did a lot of multiplayer testing before the game came out and rebalancing after the game came out. That's why there is a mind worm capture limit in the game now which there wasn't in the initial launch, or why you can no longer stack bunker bonuses with base tiles by building bases on bunkers. It's just that there is a lot of shit that avoided notice or that they didn't really know how to go about fixing. These days we've gotten a very close look at mechanics so we have technological beelining to make issues like supply crawler abuse and PTS abuse that much worse. Some stuff like Weather Paradigm really should've been fixed by the Firaxis guys though.

scient

Augur
Original code as in from the original or as your own new code?

How playable is your current version?

That is the original bugged code. I haven't pushed any morale related bug fixes yet other than to morale_veh() with drone riot premature bounding.

Very playable. I'd recommend applying it on top of my unofficial patch. That way, you still get the benefit of the other bug fixes along with new ones I've fixed in the code.

Thinker is a straight-up improvement over vanilla in every way, no ifs or buts.
Will to Power adds a lot of features and has potential, but it's not quite ready for prime time just yet.

Hi there.
Thank you for observation. Not to overrule your opinion but just to satisfy my curiosity and expand the knowledge about the subject.
Why do you think WTP is less mature than Thinker given that it is built on top of Thinker engine so it mush inherit everything Thinker provides and more?
In other words, which direction you think WTP should go to keep maturing?

I am new at this site. Would anyone kindly explain whether this is an only all inclusive SMACX forum on this site or there are some dedicated sub forums too?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is no dedicated subforum, I am afraid. This is a site dedicated to RPGs mostly; it's just it also became a haven for people into obscure cult classics, and SMAC is one.

TROYTRON

Learned
Thinker is a straight-up improvement over vanilla in every way, no ifs or buts.
Will to Power adds a lot of features and has potential, but it's not quite ready for prime time just yet.

Hi there.
Thank you for observation. Not to overrule your opinion but just to satisfy my curiosity and expand the knowledge about the subject.
Why do you think WTP is less mature than Thinker given that it is built on top of Thinker engine so it mush inherit everything Thinker provides and more?
In other words, which direction you think WTP should go to keep maturing?
It's a question of scope. Thinker Mod had one goal, to make the AI suck less (with some nice-to-have features on the side). It did that quite well.

By contrast, WtP attempts to provide a whole new experience for the game. This makes the bar for it to be considered mature different. Even now people are disagreeing over fairly important balance and design decisions: what do we do about worms, what do we do about police, what do we do about forests, etc. That's why I don't recommend it as a finished product just yet.

Endemic

Arcane
I think combining the best elements of SMAC, Civ IV and Call to Power with further improvements (eg X-COM style global map) would be a pretty neat game. That's just a pipedream though, the best we can do is mod the existing games.

Cael

Arcane
I think combining the best elements of SMAC, Civ IV and Call to Power with further improvements (eg X-COM style global map) would be a pretty neat game. That's just a pipedream though, the best we can do is mod the existing games.
I played Call to Power 2. It was stupid as hell. Undetectable ecoterrorists erasing entire cities at will, unstoppable globullshit warming, etc. At one stage, I deleted all mines in all cities and my city screens are still telling me I am contributing a lot of pollution. Fucking greenie bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom