Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I mean, if they already sold enough to call it a success, why would you care about the actual release ?
PS : Not saying they did, but as people have pointed out, they marketed the early access like an actual release already.
Cus you can cash TWO times

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.rsquare.w700.jpg

But there's no way I'm going to be able to play this on my current pc, fuck.

Despite the EA, and despite the requirements, even a GTX 1050 ti is able to churn out a min35 -50 fps on medium settings. Larian have already also posted on their official forums they have tested this with CPUs as old as i5 2400 (for a min 30 fps), but went the safe route when going with their official requirements.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Just a random thought, most of the mainstream players won't be able to smash those ladies because they will be playing as a good character, but both of the female companions are evil. So their approvement will constantly dropping and probably betray or leave PC.

Kind a troll move from Larian.

then again maybe they will play as evil character because their dice thinks they need to kill half of the random npc.

Gargaune

Magister
The initial cutscene is cool, and I'm not gonna lie the green goblin girl looks pretty hot.
Dude, you think this is hot?! You've got issues.

Oh, and the dice roll cutscene is so retarded. Adding dices to the game was the right move, but not like this. I don't want to stare at a dice rolling for all this time, the length of the animation should AT LEAST be reduced to one fourth.
Nevermind the spacebar, that really needs an option to sidestep altogether. Just pop up your modifier and DC when you hihglight/mouse-over the individual line of dialogue, then flash some floating text with the result after you click, the roll animation is just a jarring waste of time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Despite the EA, and despite the requirements, even a GTX 1050 ti is able to churn out a min35 -50 fps on medium settings. Larian have already also posted on their official forums they have tested this with CPUs as old as i5 2400 (for a min 30 fps), but went the safe route when going with their official requirements.
Oh, you sweet summer child. I have an i7-4510U and a GTX 850M.

The game still starts with the lowest possible settings, but everything takes ages to load.

Vatnik Wumao

Time for a hardware upgrade, fratello.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

The game still starts with the lowest possible settings, but everything takes ages to load.
SSD's are cheap as fck mister terroni.

Fredward

Scholar
Anyone know why the gog version of this game which may or may not have been acquired via means metaphorically related to the practice of privateering is trying to install to my c drive when it's pointed at a different drive? Cuz my C drive is smol and the install process eats up like 10 15+ gb for why?

Thonius

Arcane
Oh by the way in every cut scene your toon makes that retarded concerned/scared face. Looks like fortnite or something. Over the top animations strike again.
But yeah as somebody pointed out transitions between walking and attacking/stop/change direction are nice, at least one person knows what to do.

Thonius

Arcane
Anything else to look forward to in the meantime?
Spellforce 3: Forgotten Gods
Solasta EA.
Just a random thought, most of the mainstream players won't be able to smash those ladies because they will be playing as a good character, but both of the female companions are evil. So their approvement will constantly dropping and probably betray or leave PC.

Kind a troll move from Larian.

then again maybe they will play as evil character because their dice thinks they need to kill half of the random npc.
Well to be fair, gith is ugly. Like in the romance creating sequence if you set your interest as gith and rotate the toon you'll notice horrible ribs and overall bulimic nature of gith. You can cut diamonds with those razor sharp protruding ribs and spine bones. Compare to human or elf toons. Gith - PASS.

Thonius

Arcane
Anyone know why the gog version of this game which may or may not have been acquired via means metaphorically related to the practice of privateering is trying to install to my c drive when it's pointed at a different drive? Cuz my C drive is smol and the install process eats up like 10 15+ gb for why?
Press WIN+PAUSE.
GO TO - CHANGE SETTINGS - SYSTEM/ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES(advanced tab) - Select TEMP and TMP - SCREEN-CAP IT - Then Click Edit on both and change to any directory. After installation return to screen-cap or leave as it is.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Only played 5h so far:
-The game really needs an easy way to check which proficiencies you already have
-Skill checks are well done since you still get unique dialogue even when you fail the check
-finally decent companions
-writing is a lot better than DOS2
-lots of odd balancing
-AI still hasn't figured out 5e and behave as it would in DOS2, trying to do elemental combos (which are mostly useless now) instead of actually doing damage
-Finally, a DND game where magic is useful outside combat
-Soundtrack is pretty good
-Animation and cutscenes are really cool when they work

Lots of work ahead for Larian actually expected more polish. But I believe that this should be the best mainstream party based RPG since DAO once iT's finished.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
-lots of odd balancing
Absolutely.
I have seen what happens with Acid Splash now, applies aoe -2 AC debuff. That is just insane for a cantrip.

-writing is a lot better than DOS2

Seems so. Not a terribly high bar, but I am somewhat interested in the fate of a few early game NPCs.

Lots of work ahead for Larian actually expected more polish. But I believe that this should be the best mainstream party based RPG since DAO once iT's finished.

This game is shaping up to be better than DAO and worse than Pathfinder Kingmaker.
Which is not a bad space to be in for a AAA rpg, but do you have any beef with Pathfinder? Or do you not consider it mainstream?

Last edited:

Robber Baron

Savant
but do you have any beef with Pathfinder? Or do you not consider it mainstream?

PFK presentation is really not up to AAA standards, for me even PoE2 is not up there. DAO, DAI, Skyrim, Witcher3 that's literally all there is to fantasy AAA "RPGs". And yeah AAA does not equall good only expensive and heavy on marketing

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
BTW has anyone figured out on what kind of arcane crack the firebolt cantrip operates?

Sometimes I hit the main bolt and do not apply the burn dot, sometimes I miss the main bolt and still apply the dot.
Also the dot is absolutely ridiculous, since it is on the character and on the ground at the same time.
An enemy takes 1d6+1d4 when hit, followed by 1d4 from the ground when they move and 1d4 just from starting their turn.

One of the best cantrips in the game was changed from 1d10 (5.5) damage to 1d6+3d4 (11). Even if it scales weaker now that is just ridiculous.

Mage in general is in complete overdrive with how many spell scrolls the game drops you. With the new cantrips easily the strongest class.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I'm waiting for the official preview so the Codex overlords can tell me what to think about this game.
Oh, why is the hivemind silent?! Why is it not protecting its children from the Belgians?!
Darth Roxor! Where are thou in this time of need?!

GrainWetski

Arcane
PFK presentation is really not up to AAA standards, for me even PoE2 is not up there. DAO, DAI, Skyrim, Witcher3 that's literally all there is to fantasy AAA "RPGs". And yeah AAA does not equall good only expensive and heavy on marketing
What do you consider "presentation" and what are these standards? In my mind, presentation is superficial things like animations, voice acting and graphics. All of which are, and I'm being terribly generous to the game here for some reason, thoroughly mediocre at best in Skyrim.

If Skyrim really has "AAA presentation" the bar certainly isn't very high. If it's about (marketing) budget, why would anyone care about "presentation" at all?

Eastwood

Educated
Does anyone else still use Windows 7 and has performance issues with the game? It was a pain in the ass getting the game to run at all, and while playing it stutters for a few seconds every minute or so. Otherwise the game runs fine though.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Does anyone else still use Windows 7 and has performance issues with the game? It was a pain in the ass getting the game to run at all, and while playing it stutters for a few seconds every minute or so. Otherwise the game runs fine though.

The stuttering is there on my upper mid range Win10 rig aswell. Probably just awfull optimisation.
Music stops and I get 3-4 freeze frames before game continues. Maybe every 5-10 mins.
It is a true beta in that sense.

Robber Baron

Savant
What do you consider "presentation" and what are these standards? In my mind, presentation is superficial things like animations, voice acting and graphics. All of which are, and I'm being terribly generous to the game here for some reason, thoroughly mediocre at best in Skyrim.
If Skyrim really has "AAA presentation" the bar certainly isn't very high. If it's about (marketing) budget, why would anyone care about "presentation" at all?

Presentation is a complex of promotional material plus ingame video and audio assets to attract maximum possible audience. A prerendered CGI trailer is also a part of the presentation - and Owlcat never had a budget for one(nor did they need one since they know their auidence, for now at least). And yes Skyrim absolutely had AAA presentation at the time of release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom