Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Birthright - M&B-like sandbox set in low fantasy medieval world

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_ac423d867336a697afa0cb35f2e636a6c050958e.1920x1080.jpg
ss_61157310af21e7a83e924a4cde5bf645764fd4ef.1920x1080.jpg

No, this is nothing to do with the D&D setting of the same name or the strategy game based on that. (To be honest I wouldn't be surprised when they get a letter from WotC down the line.)

I can't really see fantasy elements in screenshots and videos but EA FAQ mentions dragon and things like that.

They're "planning" 3 years of Early Access btw.

earlyreleasemainfocus1.png

Can you carve your own path among hundreds of Lords and Families all fighting for the ultimate power: Ascending the Throne ?

Birthright is a living light-fantasy medieval world ruled by it's current King or Queen. However few survive for long due to turmoil, politics, assassinations, starvation and sheer bad luck. Ancient stories are dominated by tales of Heroes and the many gods.

Each Family is acting by it's own interest spear headed by their elected Leader. Death is permanent and the dead can only be superseded by their heirs or the Family will die out giving room for others to plunder and rise.

Start as a Villager guided by the Tarot reading for greater things. Tarot backgrounds heavily influence the path but destiny for heroes is to be carved among the stars.

Why Early Access?
“Birthright is made of a 2 man team plus some extra story writers in Unreal Engine. It has been in development already for 4 years having full development processes in place. With Early Access we want to start engaging with players to shape and prioritise the last big features as well as the small ones.

A public Trello Board will be used for players to vote on prioritization of big Features.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“This game is a long term project with a dedicated core. The overall plan is to stay for 3 years in Early Access before Release.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The full version will include all the listed features (Dedicated Server, Modding etc) and a balanced and hard world to survive in.

Many other improvements will be made such as a deeper connection for AI and Tarot cards behavior, deep Family Trees with real heritage both in stats and wealth for Players and AI.

Weekly Tarot Cards (Events) impacting the World such as "Long Summer", "Cold Winter" or "Blood Moon".

End Game content such as The Dragon, Volcano, Raids from afar and The Other Side.

And new Battle/Skirmish/Siege maps along the whole period. Along with lots of more POIs (Points of Interest) that will push the world and story forward.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“All fundamental features are already in place. Warmongering, Trading and Adventuring are the staples that all are functional. But they will be adjusted along the way with added content and polishing.
UI is lacking still and needs rework and additions in many areas and Families are shallow. There is no marriage yet or fusing of Families. Some very unbalancing items and prices.

No Tutorial or Manual. You will need to figure things out by error and trial. And you will die a lot.

However if one can deal with the above there are many hours of entertainment already.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Price might go up after Early Access.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“Game Director and other team members will directly be active daily on the game forum and public Trello board.”

Overworld:

Battle:

Camera perspective is very strange.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hoped for a better birthright: The Gorgon Alliance !
Strategic UI seems much bettter than in MnB (no need to talk to NPC to go into menu. I haven't tried Bannerlords yet).
The combat is a bit akward: the characters look like a mix between 3D and sprites that reminds of early 3D.
The scope is impressive still, and MnB was made by two people in the beginning, so it definitely seems worth checking.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Not sure I'm convinced to give this any of my time while Bannerlord breaths. No unique and interesting setting (thou they might be teasing one with tarot cards), no mechanic/simulation that Bannerlord doesn't have, graphics more muddy and dated then Warband's with no art style. I'm just not lured by anything Birthright offers. Seems to me like ugly lookin paid mod for Bannerlord

Wished it was Mount&Blade: Darklands, with style & depth. Maybe in three years it will become

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure I'm convinced to give this any of my time while Bannerlord breaths. No unique and interesting setting (thou they might be teasing one with tarot cards), no mechanic/simulation that Bannerlord doesn't have, graphics more muddy and dated then Warband's with no art style. I'm just not lured by anything Birthright offers. Seems to me like ugly lookin paid mod for Bannerlord

Wished it was Mount&Blade: Darklands, with style & depth. Maybe in three years it will become
There was a Darklands mod for MnB, but it was cancelled midway into development. What they had was still cool, though, but far from having everything expected from Darklands (I guess such scope might induce burnout in mods...).

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/mods/401

The cancellation of the mod made me really sad, because the modder(s?) was very talented.

That is a good point. Trying to challenge MnB2: Bannerlords now may be a bit too much of a challenge...
However, if they add magic, that might work (because historical settings are much easier to mod in MnB than magic).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom