Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like Macmillan with a beard and shot eyes.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's because of the small picture size.

The neckline, the nose, the chin, the eyebrows - even the ears are different. Head shape and haircut are probably the only similarities.
Macmillan_large.jpg
Farmer_large.jpg

Nevill

Arcane
Well, after I fucked up their offensive in the 4th mission; got in and out of ambush in the 5th, killing sheikh Omar in the process; destroyed one of their largest bases, New Kabul in the 7th (and got Heike out of it); screwed both the Legion and the UPF in the 8th while killing about 130 mercenaries sent to teach me a lesson; disrupted UPF collaboration with the Americans in the 9th; wrecked Farmer's attempt at capturing our scientists in the 10th and finally destroyed both New Samarkand and one of the largest Legion bases in the sector - I can kind of see why they aren't too fond of Burlak. :lol:

Relationships with the Arabs are far more heated in the Russian campaign than in the American one. They may consider it my revenge for Belkov! :argh:

Good thing that after the devastation we wrought on New Samarkand, the Arabs are no longer an issue - but the Legion still remains a threat, albeit a mild one. They never had the technology to truly become an independent side on par with the primary nations.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, I am afraid if I allow any more delays, I will not get anything done in a long while. So here it is.

Mission 15. Final Battle.
This mission's name is fairly unimaginative, but to the point. Like this whole campaign.
2015_11_28_181244.jpg

The Motherlode; April 16, 3 NR
Russian forces arrived close to the primary deposit, only to receive the terrifying news about the US Alaskite bomb. The final confrontation is here.

We start with a number of vehicles - 3 gun tanks, 2 rocket launchers, and 3 cargo trucks loaded with crates. Oh, and Masha, of course.
2015_11_28_181259.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- OK, we have to find the Motherlode quick. The Arabians are no longer an issue, but we still have to defend the Alaskite from the thieving Yankees.
Bystrov.jpg
- We can’t hold out against the Alaskite bomb.
Gorky.jpg
- Deterrent worked with nukes!
Titov.jpg
- We don’t have the bomb.
What a party pooper!
Gorky.jpg
- We can develop one. But first we need a place where we can build our base.

So here are our objectives. Quite a handful, eh?
2015_11_28_181323.jpg

And here's our team. Most are grizzled veterans who've been with us since the early missions, with the addition of a few rookies.
2015_12_02_191100.jpg

Finding the Motherlode is not much of a challenge. The land is shining green from the inside.
2015_12_02_193650.jpg

The moment our scientists step on a plateau, they go mad with excitement, shouting 'Alaskite, Alaskite!' every 5 seconds.
2015_12_02_194008.jpg

Indeed, there are Alaskite deposits wherever we go. A depot is in order.
2015_12_02_194523.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Holy Virgin, this is incredible. Alaskite everywhere!
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- This is what we came here for.
Titov.jpg
- The green gold.
Gorky.jpg
- Nobody can be allowed to take this. Ever! We must preserve this place for Russia!

But first, I really want to grab some collars, given the amount of bazookas I started with. We can't have that much AWESUM go to waste, can we? So I leave a few people behind to construct a base, and then send a military expedition of 7 bazookas, 4 medics and 2 drivers to explore the map, while listening to the 'Alaskite!' song from our scientists.
2015_12_02_195204.jpg

They really do not get tired of it.

Soon, we run into some enemy forces. A laser gun, a sniper, and a Russian gatling tank. Must be the Alliance. And judging by the range, they are on a high ground.
2015_12_02_195301.jpg

If you are wondering why my scientists can't shut up, it's because the Motherload is really densely packed with Alaskite deposits, and they feel obliged to report every single one.
2015_12_02_195316.jpg

The Alliance base is too tough of a nut to crack (the burning tank is a result of me checking their defenses in more detail), but there seems to be a Legion base nearby. That one should prove a good target practice.
2015_12_02_195655.jpg

All of their men are elites, but ours are formidable as well. I've taken out Macmillan's base and New Samarkand with just 2 bazookas, surely I can take on the Legion with 7 of them!
2015_12_02_195900.jpg

We proceed towards their inner sanctum. Strangely, their labs are empty. Are their men busy elsewhere?
2015_12_02_220554.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the base I build as many mines as I can to get the Alaskite production going, and build a lab outfitted for weapon and Alaskite research.
2015_12_02_220719.jpg

Aha! The depot is in sight!
2015_12_02_220747.jpg

Ooh! Who do I spy inside?
2015_12_02_220916.jpg

Why, it's our sweet, sweet Heike! :hug: Don't shoot, men!

Nice to see that she is an engineer. The labour therapy back at L.D. Trotsky really had a positive influence on the girl!

Unfortunately, the rest of the base is protected by barracks with 2 mortarmen inside. And Heike grants them vision to fire at us. At 10th level, mortarmen hit like a truck.
2015_12_02_221141.jpg

I can get the barracks down, but then I hit the brick wall. Their soldiers are sturdy and they don't let my bazookas close in on the mortarmen while those fire from behind. Together they can reduce even our foce into mincemeat. The scientists can't heal them back, as the shells take them out just as easily.
2015_12_02_221425.jpg

I have to reload.

So let's not go after the depot straight away and let's clean the area of supporting troops, first.
2015_12_02_221630.jpg

Also, we need to tank as many shots as possible with our vehicles. They are more mobile than bazookas, and better armored to boot.
2015_12_02_222449.jpg

Some random engineers trying to repair the barracks are taken out without me even knowing they were there until I see a shadow of a falling body and a depleted health bar. Bazookas were never known to be very precise. :oops:
2015_12_02_222520.jpg

In the end, with tanks taking heavy hits on behalf of our infantry, I manage to kill the mortarmen without casualties. It helps that exploding buildings damage their surroundings, too.
2015_12_02_222943.jpg

The rest of the mercenary base is pretty unimpressive. Their vehicles and static turrets are no match for our troops.
2015_12_02_223149.jpg

What, surrendering already? But why? We were in the middle of combat...
2015_12_02_223426.jpg

Heike_Rus.jpg
- This is Heike Steyer. You win, you Russian bastards! I will not allow my soldiers to be butchered by you. We surrender.

Oh. Killed one engineer too many without noticing it, and Heike's delicate heart couldn't handle it. Bazookas. :stupid:
2015_12_02_223430.jpg

A few legionaries join our ranks, while Heike and the rest of her supporters run off the map.
Soldier.jpg
Scientist.jpg

It's ok, I'll let you go for now, precious. Of course, there will be a search party once I establish my dominance over this world. Have you not realized that one does not simply run away from Burlak's harem? :smug:

Victorious, we return back home and assist with the base building. Unlike in the American campaign, only two technologies are needed to produce the Alaskite rocket - the rocket technology itself, and the Alaskite Fission. I get my best and brightest on the task.
2015_12_03_001502.jpg

Having located the Legion and the Alliance, I can think of only one possible place where the Americans could be. Yup, there it is.
2015_12_02_224616.jpg

SOON!

Everything is going smoothly... until it suddenly doesn't.
2015_12_02_225003.jpg

Yuri.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, we lost our Alaskite mine...
Gorky.jpg
- What the hell are you saying, comrade?
Yuri.jpg
- It exploded. I swear it was no-one’s fault. No personnel were near there.
Gorky.jpg
- It must be this bastard Alliance sabotaging our installations. They have to be stopped!

Gorky is really touchy about anything Alaskite-related in this mission.

The Alliance will bomb our Alaskite-related facilities with their only remaining Artefact. It is more of a nuisance than a hindrance, but if they get one of the plants instead of one of the mines, they could put a dent on your research progress unless you have power to spare.
2015_12_02_230639.jpg

I construct a second lab back at home, to research computer-related stuff, and assign my second-best science team there. This still leaves me with 6 extra people that have nothing to do until the Fission research is complete. So I send them to claim and dismantle the Legion base.
2015_12_02_230928.jpg

Hm, now that I have mercenaries on my team, I can research their technology. Biodetection and Stims sound like the most useful ones.

Biodetection shown some strange activity near my base. And I don't remember any apes. Let's check it out.
2015_12_02_231705.jpg

Oh. It's the Americans, building a mine right under my nose. Say goodbye, Yankee boys!
2015_12_02_231730.jpg

Yuri.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, I’m afraid we are losing the battle here. Enemy mines are multiplying like bacteria. We are being overrun.
Gorky.jpg
- It cannot happen! The Motherlode belongs to us!!

Calm down, drama queens, it's just a single mine. Soon it won't ever exist.

What? WHAT?!!
2015_12_02_231803.jpg

BULLSHIT!!!! :argh::argh::argh:

Yeah, it's dumb like that. We must not allow anyone to build a mine on our turf, ever. If we do, Gorky will suffer a nervous breakdown or something, and we will lose the war.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Whatever. Let's fix this right away.
2015_12_02_232129.jpg

Their tanks crewed by maximum level mechanics are very strong, so we pinpoint the engineer and get the hell out of dodge. If we learned bazooka tech first instead of beelining for the Alaskite rocket, I would have taken everything out easily.
2015_12_02_232458.jpg

As it is, with the engineer dead, the tanks retreat back to the base. Dodged that bullet.

We are still fixing our little mine problem when the primary science team comes in with great news!
2015_12_02_232942.jpg

Yuri.jpg
- The development has been hard, comrade Major, but we have worked tirelessly. Now, at last we can begin construction of the Alaskite bomb.

Come forward, my best mechanics!
2015_12_02_233130.jpg

Off to the factory you go!
2015_12_02_233149.jpg

Meanwhile, the primary science team research Alaskite tech upgrades. They enhance Alaskite production, strengthen Alaskite engines, improve Alaskite power plant output (which we need in case the Alliance bombs our energy grid), and as a final step, improve the construction speed of the Alaskite rocket - something that we sorely need.

The Alliance is targeting our power plants as we thought it would, but it does so in the Legion base where it does not hurt us in the slightest.
2015_12_02_233549.jpg

Pfft. I was done with the research there anyway. Dismantle the base, boys, and load up the crates on the cargo trucks. We are running dangerously low on those.
2015_12_02_233640.jpg

After a while, ITZ happens. It was inevitable that we got here first.
2015_12_02_234124.jpg

Yuri.jpg
- Finally, we have built the bomb, Major. The decision to use it is yours.

Just in time, too. The Alliance is starting to massage our own Alaskite power plants. :argh:
2015_12_02_234612.jpg

Choice time, Codex!
2015_12_02_234128.jpg
There are two choices here, actually.

- Do you want to announce that you have the Alaskite rocket and try to force surrender that way?
- Do you want to actually use the Alaskite rocket? If so, who do you use it on, the Americans, or the Alliance?

Fire away. :M

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Why is that a question? Use the Alaskite Rocket on the Americans, THEN build another one and send it against the Alliance (even if they surrender). That's the Russian way.

Black

Arcane
Yes, yes. On both KWAs and Alliance, but Alliance takes the first one since their passive-aggressive alaskite bombing is annoying.

The failstate that makes you lose the entire mission because someone built a single mine on your turf is really dumb, but easy to avoid.

Nevill

Arcane
Why is that a question?
Because we only have one rocket for now, and two enemies, which are both dangerous in their own way.

I've made the choice easier by eliminating the Legion from the equation early, but the Americans have their own Siberite rocket research, and the Alliance, well... you'll see if you let them live long enough.

lightbane

Arcane
Fine. Start with the Americans then. Also, just for fun, try to finish this mission by using a mass bulldozer assault, if you can please. That would be the best way to finish this route.

Nevill

Arcane
Fire away!
The question is, who is going to be the first to eat a rocket.

It is semi-important, as it will impose different restrictions on how I will need to do the mission.

If no consensus is reached, I'll just throw a die.

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 15. Long Live Russia!

We'll show them our teeth.
2015_12_03_202341.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- This is major Yuri I. Gorky, from Red Army Pliocene Group. We have developed a bomb that uses the explosive power of Alaskite. The implications are obvious. You may surrender or prepare for annihilation.
Powell_Rus.jpg
- Bullshit, Gorky. You guys couldn’t design a water bomb! You think you can kill us, go ahead.
Donovan.jpg
- You are bluffing, Burlak. You don't have anything.

Donald Donovan - the guy speaking on behalf of the Alliance - is Macmillan's surrogate. He is even voiced by the same actor. Maybe the developers started to run out of money by that point and didn't have time to record different voices depending on how many people the player manager to kill. :M
For the record, Heike - or Farmer - do not believe you either.
Heike_Rus.jpg
- We do not trust you, Burlak. No proof, no surrender.
2015_11_25_132639.jpg
- I don’t buy nothing unless I see it working, Gorky.
I think they want proof. We can give them proof! The privilege goes to major Gorky himself. Or is it marshal Gorky now?
2015_12_03_202659.jpg

I aim right at what I perceive as the center of the American base. Hopefully we'll hit something vital that will delay their own bomb. It's a shame I do not have a radar technology for scouting.

Right in the middle!
2015_12_03_202747.jpg

2015_12_03_202748.jpg

2015_12_04_202733.jpg

2015_12_03_202750.jpg

2015_12_04_202738.jpg

Well, I guess scouting with the Alaskite rocket works, too. Whenever there is a hit, a fog of war is revealed to let you observe the devastation better. I'll take that.

Looks like we have hit nothing but the Radio tower, a Siberite mine, and some factory extention. It is the center of the base, but it's empty. Was it a waste of a rocket?

No. The explosion itself is not the most dangerous part of the weapon. The radiation is. It has been a few seconds, and already people are starting to fall.
2015_12_04_202742.jpg

And since I have aimed dead in the center, the contaminated area now covers the whole base. There is no place to run.

The Alliance do not take kindly to this act.
2015_12_03_202945.jpg

Donovan.jpg
- Your firework display ain't gonna stop us commander. We can now induce contamination of the deposits in Motherlode – the Artefact we used for destroying your mines can do it. I'm sure you know the implications of the chain reaction. You ain't going on holiday again.
Gorky.jpg
- But you are the Alliance. You would never destroy your precious Alaskite!
Donovan.jpg
- There's something we call the lesser of two evils. You got the stuff anyway, what difference does it make if we blow it up? But hey, if you are feeling lucky...?

Looks like the kid gloves are off. We are on a timer here. Either we kill off the Alliance quickly, or they will destroy the Motherlode and half the planet with it.
2015_12_03_203002.jpg

Here is how the others react to the explosion... if they are alive to witness it.

Powell's gonna Powell.
Powell_Rus.jpg
- This barbaric act will get you nowhere, Gorky! We'll fight till the last breath. Never give up! Never surrender!

And the Legion surrenders outright.
Heike_Rus.jpg
- I hate to say it but there can be no argument against such a superior force. We surrender. I'd sooner kill myself than join you, commander, but my men may feel different.
2015_11_25_132639.jpg
- I think you've mastered the art of persuasion, major. From now on when you need help, come to the Legion. There's no charge!
Let's check how our American friends are doing. It's been two minutes. Huh, they are firing at us. Are there still survivors there?

Apparently there are. They take about 3 shots at me before throwing out the white flag.
2015_12_03_203119.jpg

Let's check what had them spooked. The earth is still scorched. There are corpses everywhere, and there is a mechanic in death throes lying next to his car. He probably got irradiated and fell out of the vehicle into a 'safe spot' untouched by the contamination... to slowly bleed out, with no medics to help him. Man, that's not a good fate.
2015_12_04_204445.jpg

As for the medics... they are all there, six of them, lying at the steps of the lab. Looks like they rushed out to help and then got into a healing/damaging contest with the radiation. Unsurprisingly, the radiation won.
2015_12_04_204507.jpg

I think the guy who contacted us is not just an 'acting commander of US Army Group'. He is the sole survivor of US Army Group. There is nothing else living in the base.
2015_12_04_204534.jpg

Yup. Drivers, engineers, turret operators. Everyone is dead.
2015_12_04_204557.jpg

:dead:

There is a soldier corpse near the depot, and I think I know who that might be. Let me load the game and aim the rocket straight at the depot for a second, now that I know where it is...
2015_12_03_204740.jpg

Yup. It's the good old general. Explains why he was unavailable for his 'never surrender' speech.
Man, this rockets are some good stuff! We need more of those. :love:

The Alliance is being annoying again.
2015_12_03_204227.jpg

I now have the Alaskite detection tech, which allows me to guess the approximate layout of the Allied base.
2015_12_03_205801.jpg

I send out my Arab mercenary to plant cameras behind every tree, and capture the American depot and the two radar turrets. I want to be warned in advance about any Alliance movements. I now have vision of 1/4 of the map. All this while I have been building more rockets, but I didn't use them. What if the Alliance makes good on their threat?
2015_12_03_205841.jpg

The precautions weren't for naught. Eight vehicles spawn in the top-right corner of the map, all crewed by 10 lvl drivers. This could get ugly.
2015_12_03_205914.jpg

And as if it wasn't enough, they are teleporting several vehicles behind my back. It's going to be a two-pronged assault. :eek:
2015_12_03_210012.jpg

They hit me hard. Even though I had been warned and turned all of my scientists in bazookas, their rocket launchers ravage my armory quickly.
2015_12_03_210450.jpg

Four vehicles are creeping on me from behind. This direction is covered only by two low-level bazookas and one 10 lvl professional. I can't fight here, I can only delay them. I throw as many time-decelerating and space-shifting rockets as I can, stalling for time.
2015_12_03_210203.jpg

There goes the armory. And half of their vehicles are still intact. My mechanics finish their 3rd Alaskite rocket (you can never have too many) and decide to join the fray.
2015_12_03_210753.jpg

The western armory is destroyed and the gatling tank is in my base. Normally, it can rip the infantry to shreds, and indeed it downs my soldier in a single salvo. However, a well-placed space-shifting missile parts the tank and its victim, teleporting the former away from us, and the latter deeper inside our base. We are holding... just barely.
2015_12_03_210843.jpg

Former mechanics turned bazookas turn the tide on our western front. The vehicles can't hold agains an onslaught of high-level soldiers.
2015_12_03_211300.jpg

And on the eastern front the enemy was thrown back, due to the limited teleportation ability. It does a good job of preserving their vehicles, although it doesn't always work as intended. See the smoking gatling tank near the lab? That's the one that came from the west. Speaking of which, its driver apparently got into a duel with prof. Scholtze and won. Medic, quick!
2015_12_03_211649.jpg

Looks like everything has stabilized. Scholtze was healed to yellow HP and captured the gatling tank, winning the rematch against the allied driver. On the other side of the base Kirilenkova is seeing to our wounded.
2015_12_03_211815.jpg

Farther to the east, my bazookas are hunting down the drivers who teleported away, trying not to harm the vehicles.
2015_12_03_211840.jpg

The worst is behind us. We've won the battle!

Suddenly, everything is on fire. People are screaming, vehicles are exploding, and there are shifting sounds all over the place as the limited teleportation tries to save our mechanical force from an unseen threat. What, what is it?
2015_12_03_212037.jpg

Oh. THEM. Sore losers, the bunch of them!
2015_12_03_212100.jpg

Why, I ought to...! Let me load a save from a minute ago!
2015_12_03_212647.jpg

No. It doesn't work like that. We have to do it in advance.

Ok. The battle is still raging. If the Alliance doesn't want to play by the rules, we won't either. Fly, my precious!
2015_12_03_213711.jpg

BOOM!
2015_12_03_214046.jpg

2015_12_03_214050.jpg

2015_12_03_214053.jpg

2015_12_03_214056.jpg

2015_12_03_214059.jpg

2015_12_03_214102.jpg

2015_12_03_214104.jpg

4748899_90944ee5921eff357d6d9bdd7245eed2.jpg
Wait, I think something is missing. Let's do a quick check by bombing another target - say, the depot.
2015_12_03_214400.jpg

Can you spot a difference? :P
Remermber how in the last American mission I wrote about the quirks of Siberite/Alaskite rockets? How they tend to be a bit unreliable and how they can erase objects from existence by dropping on top of them?

Yeah. It looks like I accidentally the billion years old Artifact I was supposed to capture. Oops. I didn't mean to, really. Gossudarov would kill me, it he were still alive. :M

On the plus side... the Alliance now can't do anything. They can't bother me with mine explosions anymore, and they can't threaten me with the Motherlode destruction. They are sitting ducks. So I go dismantle the American base and collect the crates, taking my time. I could bomb them to oblivion and back, but where is the fun in that?
2015_12_03_221116.jpg

Oh, I guess they can still receive reinforcements.
2015_12_03_221808.jpg

But I am not scared of them. They can only attack from the east, now that the teleporter in the base has been destroyed.
2015_12_03_221900.jpg

And I still have 2 Alaskite rockets to spare. One can fully annihilate the offenders in a single blast. We do not aim it straight at the vehicles - we want to keep those intact to dismantle them later.
2015_12_03_222002.jpg

Strong stuff. I went in for about fifteen seconds to fix a burning vehicle, and Kozlov already feels unwell. I will need several medics covering his back for this.
2015_12_03_222240.jpg

Good haul for an engagement that lasted for less than half a minute.
2015_12_03_222530.jpg

We are on our way to the endgame!

What do you mean, I lost because the Americans have taken the Motherlode? The Americans have surrendered!
2015_12_03_222604.jpg

One of my engineers walked past the Siberite mine which we didn't blow up and, seeing the unfinished construction of an allied building, decided to lend a helping hand, which triggered the failstate!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAME! :x:x:x

Reloading. :M

Right. So let's end this with style. Remember me collecting loads of crates and dismantling everything I come across? What did I need these crates for?

This.
2015_12_03_224044.jpg

For lightbane's viewing pleasure I have assembled 20 bulldozers (and a few starting vehicles) for the final assault. They are all computer-controlled ones, of course - this is a suicide mission, and I don't want to miss on a 'no losses' medal.
2015_12_03_224106.jpg

But first, I want to use the last remaining rocket on the Alliance depot. I do not want to deal with all the cannons that have 10 lvl soldiers in them (which translates into 20 skill ranks, mind you).
2015_12_03_224152.jpg

This is just another reason to go with computer-controlled vehicles - the radiation would simply kill the drivers. We go through two entrances - the one to the south, covered by several bazookas in an armory...
2015_12_03_224233.jpg

...and the northern one, seemingly unguarded, because the second armory is too far to the north.
2015_12_03_224252.jpg

I present this without comment. Computer-controlled vehicles are crap, but we have a lot of them, and limited teleportation moves damaged 'dozers away from their targets, freeing the way for the rest. My only saving grace is that bazookas can't fire at melee range - but the Alliance has laser tanks covering their armories as well. Those prove troublesome...
2015_12_03_224913.jpg

2015_12_03_224816.jpg

2015_12_03_224957.jpg

2015_12_03_224457.jpg

2015_12_03_225127.jpg

2015_12_03_225035.jpg

2015_12_03_225224.jpg

2015_12_03_224508.jpg

Finally, the Alliance can take no more, and their commander pleads for mercy.
2015_12_03_225258.jpg

Donovan.jpg
- This is the end of the Alliance. We surrender, comrade Gorky, please be merciful.

Huh, the guy still lives! That's why commanders shouldn't hide in depots.
2015_12_03_225322.jpg

Victory at last! The ending comments are very much the same ones as in the Allied campaign, with a few exceptions.
2015_12_03_225352.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- So this is the end. Rest in peace, Sevi.
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Soviet science prevailed in the end!
Kirienkova.jpg
- Burlak! You made it.
Gnievko.jpg
- I didn’t believe we could do it! We are victorious!
Gladkov.jpg
- Only you could lead us to victory, Burlak.
8_Kapits.jpg
- Now we have all the Alaskite in the world for our research!
Gleb_fin.jpg
- Great Lenin predicted the victory of communism is inevitable. It's not any achievement of yours, comrade Gorky.
Yup, that's the comrade commissar I know.
Kuzmov.jpg
- You really kicked their ass, Burlak.
Shultze.jpg
- At last we can do some research that isn’t interrupted by war!
Titov.jpg
- You were magnificent, Burlak. You are a true Russian hero.
Oblukov.jpg
- I'm proud of you, commander.
8_Kozlov.jpg
- You are the best, Burlak. True son of Russia.
5_Petrovova.jpg
- Well... you could have done worse!
Bystrov.jpg
- I'm glad it's over. Time to do some real work.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- This is a great day! The war is over!
KFad.jpg
- Russia is proud of you, Burlak.

Only 4 people are not with us to witness this glorious occasion.

Belkov_ghost.jpg
- We did it! We did it!
5_Dolgov.jpg
- The past belongs to us, the future to Russia!
I never understood where Dolgov went. He didn't get killed on my watch, so where could he be? Did he defect to the Alliance and die with them? :o
Kovalyuk.jpg
- We pissed all over them!
5_Karamazov.jpg
- You won, Burlak. Only with our help, of course!
Mission Accomplished.
2015_12_03_225458.jpg

+ Burlak is a true hero.
+ Demonstration of power.
+ No losses!!!

usa_flag_USSR_copy.jpg

est_tua_comunista.jpg

zqlh924.jpg

We have restored the :russia::russia::russia: smilies. Glory to the Motherland!!

What we've missed:
Not too much. There is an endgame scene if you leave the Americans to their research:
Powell_Rus.jpg
- This is general Powell. We have developed the Siberite bomb, a weapon of incredible destructive power. Surrender now or we’ll wipe out every sign of life in your base.
Gorky.jpg
- With all due respect general, I think you talk a lot of shit.
Powell_Rus.jpg
- Not so, comrade. (reveals rocket) You’ve fought and you’ve lost. Surrender while you can.
Gorky.jpg
- (low, calm) Very well. I cannot gamble with so many lives at stake. I concede defeat.

And the Alliance has special surrendering messages if either Macmillan or Roth managed to live through the campaign, which they didn't for me.
Macmillan.jpg
- I’d sooner die than surrender to you, Burlak. But I can’t take everybody with me. From this moment all Allied military operations against your people will cease. (broken man) You have my unconditional surrender.
Roth.jpg
- Morally we are victorious, Gorky, but militarily we are beaten. We accept defeat, you have our surrender.

You've already seen Heike's surrendering message, but Farmer has one as well.
2015_11_25_132639.jpg
- You are a very able commander, comrade Gorky. That much is evident. The Legion is at your service. No fee!

Or, if everyone else in the Legion is dead:
Legion_Surrender.jpg
- Your skills are beyond doubt, commander. We would be honoured to serve under you.
And this is it. This ends the Original War saga. There isn't much left to do but to break the game some more, or fire up a mod or two. It has been a year-long journey, but I hope that everyone enjoyed the ride. :salute:

I'll probably be filing a massive bug report one of these days, seeing how this game is still actively updated.

Until next time, comrades! May you never find yourselves on a wrong side of a 'dozer!

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
Truly the ending Comrade Bro deserves. Massive :incline: of bulldozer army.
Great LP and my hopes are up for possible MOD recommence. :bounce:

lightbane

Arcane
It's been a year already, you say? Time certainly flies, heh. Good work comrade. I hope you had as much fun as we did with your lp. :salute:

PS: Do the Arabians have a "super-weapon" of some sort too? Whenever you play them while in multiplayer mode, I mean.

Black

Arcane
Well done, Comrade Nevill. The alaskite remains undisturbed where it was left many years ago by
4124.jpg
and no kwan capitalist pigs will ever lay a hand on it!

Now we wait for the sequel.

:negative:

Nevill

Arcane
Of the 'Arabian campaign' mods, I have found only two that have a mediocre/decent writing and mission design (read - I could stomach more than 2 missions). Those 2 are 'Throwback' and 'Arabian Nights'. Throwback, while not bad per se, is suffering from long-winded dialogues. The authors sometimes forget that this is a strategy/tactics game, not an RPG/adventure. The people in the official campaign are characterized with snippets and one-liners, not through painfully detailed exposition, and it works.

The mod also has good voice acting (in Potato), but there are only 2 missions of the Arabian campaign to speak of - the rest is under construction.

Arabian Nights, from what I've seen is closer to the OC, but it is hellishly difficult. I've picked the Master Strategist option at the start, and I have had my ass handed to me on more than one occasion. It is fairly entertaining, but I only advanced to mission 3 before the game crashed on me. :roll:

The rest of the works - at least the ones in English - rate from 'amateur but passable' to 'terrible'. I think the one you linked to falls in the former category.

PS: Do the Arabians have a "super-weapon" of some sort too? Whenever you play them while in multiplayer mode, I mean.
Not that I know of. Then again, multiplayer in Original War is not, ah, standard fare. There are various game modes you won't find anywhere else. Which game has you racing to be the first to shoot Scheherazade? :M
11. MULTIPLAYER

Original War supports both LAN and Internet multiplayer, with maximum of 8 sides and 12 players (we'll discuss the distinction later).

As the game's host you can choose from dozens of multiplayer maps, each of which supports more than one type of game: from the obvious "Free for all" and "2 vs. 2", to more sophisticated game modes like "Capture the flag", to downright wacky modes like "Original Football" (drive any vehicle through your opponent's goal posts) or "Stonehenge" (two teams of scientists trapped in the space-time continuum fight for a common pool of resources without actually seeing each other).

Multiplayer also supports the very interesting (and still quite rare) option of "shared control", i.e. several players playing not as allies, but as a part of single team: for example, one player can take care of gathering resources while the other guides their units in combat - the units that are being controlled by your alter ego are denoted by bright yellow triangles. For some missions this type of control is strongly recommended and from our experience we can say that this is extremely satisfying way of playing multiplayer.

Another remarkable feature of Original War's multiplayer are "morale flags" on certain maps. These happen to be in the players' bases and they increase the Defence of the "home team". So much for an initial onrush, then - you have to develop your small army a little before you can take on your enemies.
By the way, a few mods have a Skirmish option, so one can try it out if they can't find a match online or if they want to scratch that single player itch outside of the campaign.

Anyway, as a parting gift, I want to present another entry to our 'Break the Game' sideshow.

Remember mission 5, Water is Wide? Turns out there is an alternate way of doing it.

Mission 5. Hunting the hunters.
We start the mission as usual, in our worthless vehicles, half of which are damaged, and the other half are out of gas.
2015_12_04_142245.jpg

Objectives:
- Reach the South West corner of the map with one vehicle for each of your men. You will need tracked chassis in order to get there.
- At least 6 of your men must survive.
- Act as fast as possible.

We leave them to rust, and go south instead of building a base.
2015_12_04_142402.jpg

We carefully choose our path, hiding behind the trees. There are patrols in the area.
2015_12_04_142433.jpg

And so our guerilla force moves along the river, unseen.
2015_12_04_142518.jpg

2015_12_04_142532.jpg

2015_12_04_142611.jpg

Right to the Arabian backyard. This looks like a good spot to build a base.
2015_12_04_142727.jpg

And a spot overlooking the road is perfect for an armory.
2015_12_04_142901.jpg

Now we only need to wait for the patrols to pass. Speaking of which, here they are!
2015_12_04_143123.jpg

Sure, I have to dance a bit to lure them closer, putting the lives of my men in danger, but in the end, an armory is a bane of vehicles that can't outrange it. They fall...
2015_12_04_143238.jpg

...and their vehicles are captured by Gorky, who is the only mechanic on the team.
2015_12_04_143358.jpg

Basically, that's it. You can sit there and wait for the patrols to spawn, which happens regularly. There are 3 vehicles in any given patrol. You can have your tank force in no time. Of course, it is best to engage them one by one, splitting them before you take them out. For example, here I engaged a flamethrower car, while letting two gatling vehicles pass unmolested. They will have to come back this way, so that's when we'll get them.
2015_12_04_143524.jpg

And if that is not enough, the Arabs send in their cargo vehicles to pick crates in what they consider their territory. :lol:
2015_12_04_143628.jpg

Ah, here come the gatling vehicles I spoke of earlier.
2015_12_04_143906.jpg

I will damage them, let the Arab mechanics repair them, then kill the mechanics. Gorky can't maintain a park of six vehicles all alone.
2015_12_04_150053.jpg

Correction. Seven vehicles. The Arabs sent in another cargo truck - oh, and a hovercraft is harassing my engineer. They are getting bolder by the minute. It is time to push back.
2015_12_04_150438.jpg

But first, we must build a lab in case anyone gets hurt, as my scientists have changed their professions long ago.
2015_12_04_150935.jpg

Attacking the Arabs is quite funny. First, Gorky declares his total victory to his command...
2015_12_04_161946.jpg

...before radioing in that they have him completely surrounded 5 seconds later. *Russian stratagems* :lol:
2015_12_04_151040.jpg

A frontal assault is not an option, because Arabs have twice our numbers, and their soldiers are about 8th level while ours range from 2nd to 4th. But if we get clever...
2015_12_04_151649.jpg

We can just make it work! :cool:
2015_12_04_151719.jpg

Look at all the mechanics, trying to repair damaged cars in 'their' base like the script tells them to. Poor bastards.
2015_12_04_151737.jpg

After a while, they run out of vehicles and mechanics. Only the soldiers remain.
2015_12_04_151831.jpg

That's right, Burlak. You tell them! :salute:
2015_12_04_152033.jpg

Which technologies are you talking about, comrade colonel? I certainly have not touched a single research topic! :M
2015_12_04_152336.jpg

Infuriatingly, their mercenaries outrange our soldiers for some reason. Is it Arabian Biotech in action, or is it a byproduct of their high level? Either way, we are playing hide and seek with them, where they shoot at me, I run towards them to shoot back, they run to their armory, and I eat a mortar shell or two. Thankfully, Gorky in a gatling tank helps a lot, but he is not immune to mortar fire, and eventually they get to him, too.
2015_12_04_152527.jpg

However, they do not have much left by that point. We move in for the kill.
2015_12_04_152647.jpg

It's unfair! Why does he have a gun? All the other sheikhs only have their machetes! :argh:
2015_12_04_152750.jpg

Mastodon down!
2015_12_04_152800.jpg

Omar tries to run off the map, but with 5 soldiers and a gatling tank in close proximity it would be quite a feat if he succeeded.
2015_12_04_152804.jpg

It is time we picked up our cars and moved to the next map. However, Gorky's tank is dangerously low on fuel from all the fighting he did. I suppose I could capture the Arabian depot, but I don't want to deal with those mortarmen in the bunkers overseeing it if I can avoid it.
2015_12_04_153011.jpg

Ah, nevermind. Here comes the replacement. The other two vehicles from the patrol de-spawned as soon as they have seen our numbers. :lol:
2015_12_04_153106.jpg

Off we go!
2015_12_04_153449.jpg

As a last attempt to fix the narrative that I've so utterly broken, the game spawns Hugh Stevens on me as I try to exit the area.
2015_12_04_153511.jpg

However, I have no intention of walking him back to our base. I leave him behind wondering what the hell he had just seen as I lead my Arabian armada to recapture the Ovsyenko base. All in the first ten minutes. :cool:
2015_12_04_153536.jpg

Hey! It's not fair! Not even once did it come up that I need to research Apemen! :argh:

The best part is that the crates in the cargo vehicles transfer to the next mission as well. Remember how no crates materialize there? Well, who needs them when we can bring our own supplies with us!

Also, with the firepower we have, we can kill Stevens before he opens his mouth, breaking the script completely.
2015_12_04_183557.jpg

Kind of too late for that, professor.
This game certainly does something right when it comes to the variety of ways in which you can complete the missions, even though its scripts don't always support them. :M

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
Infinitron could you or DU/Tauntaun do some automated find-and-replace, changing ".postimg.org/" to ".postimg.cc/" (either site-wide, in case there are some other LPs using that site, or just in this thread)? The rest of the url stays the same.
postimg owner said:
postimg.ORG domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice.
While we hope to resolve the issue, we chose postimg.CC as our new home.
Please update codes embedded in your websites.

2015_12_04_142402.jpg

_____

And since there seems to be no other OWar thread around, fresh interview with some of the devs:

Nevill

Arcane
I tried to restore it manually last year, got to page 10 or so, got sick, and forgot. I'll do it myself, thank you for giving me the push.

I'll need mods' help to edit Akkudakky's posts.

In the meantime I can email you the link to the LP which is saved to Google Drive if you want to read it now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom