Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess I can understand your concern. "OMG I NEED TO PLAY BARBARIAN OR BLOODRAGER FOR DEMON PATH TO GET 100% EFFICIENCY"

But really that's kinda inner munchkin speaking right? People make "flavor" build all the time without being 100% optimized. And the way I am approaching the Mythic Path is mostly content(narrative C&C) first and mechanic second so it doesn't really bother me (and I guess a lot of people) that much. When you want to go power gaming munchkin then you can concern yourself with an optimized build as you would even without Mythic Levels.

And I am pretty sure Desiderius will somehow make a build where Barbarian Trickster being the strongest combination or something disregarding how Trickster is designed.
I'm not saying every class and every build possible should have MAXXORZ EFFIZIENZ DAS REICH MUSS ERNEUT GEBOREN WERDEN (hell, one of my favorite playthroughs of BG was with a Cleric/Thief multiclass), but to support at least a few playstyles. Skill monkey with arcane spellcasting is super specific, I don't think I have ever played such a thing. Would it be super comfortable if Azata could only realistically be played with a stealthy backstabber with divine spellcasting? Or Swarm only with a shapeshifting character? Or Lich only with a hex-caster like a Witch? That's what I mean. Sure, some specialization is inevitable and even wanted, but overly myopic concentration on a single playstyle/build idea per mythic path is not where this system's strengths should lie imo.

Shinros

Learned
Fighter can get insane value out of some of the Lich spells in comparison to playing a wizard. Like vampiric blade, power from death, etc. Power of death gives you +1 to attack, saving and damage rolls per each corpse, vampiric blade gives 1d6 + caster level damage per attack and also healing the caster the same amount. Something fighter has in abundance in comparison to a wizard. They would also find more use in touch spells as well. In my opinion because of mythic paths you might decide to take certain feats you wouldn't consider before. Again, being a fighter if you pick lich the arcane armour training feats would now be worth a consideration, since you now can cast spells like a wizard. I like stuff like that, I'm not a munchkin or a good player, but if something opens more doors within builds? I don't see an issue.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do Mythic levels count as caster levels, though? If not, some kind of caster/martial multiclass would benefit the most from that.

Shinros

Learned
Do Mythic levels count as caster levels, though?

Yes, each time you rank up your mythic path it increases casting level and adds more slots. Your casting level is not going to be as good a wizard who fuses their book, but power from death alone is a huge boon to a fighter than a wizard. Plus the added utility of having wizard spells at all is useful in itself. Another example, a small one. Let's say you're a two-handed fighter, when you first take a level of Lich you get level 1-3 spells. You get shield, which can further increase your ac and survivability and you also get grease which is largely an amazing spell. Level two you get false life which is more hp and also mirror image. Level three has power of death and you have displacement, which is bloody crazy. Along with all your fighter levels and feats, I would say that's pretty good.

Plus if you want to cast more spells and lean into your utility more, you can choose abundant casting which increases your spell slots. Arcane armour training which lowers spell failure, considering you're a fighter you have a ton of room for feats anyway.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Skill monkey with arcane spellcasting is super specific, I don't think I have ever played such a thing. Would it be super comfortable if Azata could only realistically be played with a stealthy backstabber with divine spellcasting? Or Swarm only with a shapeshifting character? Or Lich only with a hex-caster like a Witch? That's what I mean. Sure, some specialization is inevitable and even wanted, but overly myopic concentration on a single playstyle/build idea per mythic path is not where this system's strengths should lie imo.
I know what you mean but that isn't the case with Trickster any more than the other examples you invented. Its abilities are good for more than just "arcane skill monkey." They're just even better if that's what you want to play.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And I am pretty sure Desiderius will somehow make a build where Barbarian Trickster being the strongest combination or something disregarding how Trickster is designed.

The ability to roll 20 on all dice roll alone will make for some incredibly autistic build.

A scythe wielding Barbarian Trickster actually sounds really strong now that I think of it. Automatic x4 crits with rage and power attack would be some ridiculous damage.

Vatnik Wumao

Shinros

Learned
What about Hellknight? :obviously:

Hellknight wouldn't fit demon narrative wise in my opinion, since as Lawntoilet said demons are chaotic. I would go either Aeon/devil or Lich. The gnome hellknight recommends that you at least consider the Lich path. Since it seems more about Death and order, undead are better at fighting demons etc, but you are also free to do it for the sake power going by the PC's dialogue options.

Vatnik Wumao
What about Hellknight? :obviously:

Hellknight wouldn't fit demon narrative wise in my opinion, since as Lawntoilet said demons are chaotic. I would go either Aeon/devil or Lich. The gnome hellknight recommends that you at least consider the Lich path. Since it seems more about Death and order, undead are better at fighting demons etc, but you are also free to do it for the sake power going by the PC's dialogue options.
Yeah, I mistakenly said Demon instead of Devil.

By the way, is the gnome from Cheliax and/or a Devil-worshipper?

Shinros

Learned
Yeah, I mistakenly said Demon instead of Devil.

By the way, is the gnome from Cheliax and/or a Devil-worshipper?

Well considering he is Godclaw and a paralictor it's most likely yes, he comes from Cheliax, but most of the godclaw hang around mendev since they like crusading against demons. The answer to the second question is yes, because the Godclaw worship the five lawful gods. Asmodeus, Iomedae, Irori, Abadar and Torag. He never outright says which god he worships, but I recall a dialogue line where he thinks hell has a good idea when it comes to military and general organisation. (Most Hellknights think this because their organisation is actually based on Hell's military.)

infniitron

Not Infinitron
Man, kingmaker reactivity to your race and class was fucking disappointing, I mean I didn't expect anything like Arcanum but come on...Tartuccio shit talking about barbarians when my 6 foot half orc barbarian just stands there.
My Aasimaar tells other Aasimaar about how weird it is seeing an aasimaar here.
My fucking Tiefling ask the twins what a Tiefling is, and so on and on.
How is Wrath of the Righteous in this regard?

Shinros

Learned
Man, kingmaker reactivity to your race and class was fucking disappointing, I mean I didn't expect anything like Arcanum but come on...Tartuccio shit talking about barbarians when my 6 foot half orc barbarian just stands there.

Well, part of their kickstarter goals was more reaction to race, class, god etc. At the moment within the Alpha Tiefling race reactions are in. So I guess over time we'll see more as it gets updated.

Vatnik Wumao

Well, part of their kickstarter goals was more reaction to race, class, god etc. At the moment within the Alpha Tiefling race reactions are in. So I guess over time we'll see more as it gets updated.
And speaking of reactivity... can one select the Devil mythic path as an Aasimar? :M

Sarathiour

Cipher
You could already have a demonic bloodlines aasimar, so that i don't see why you can't larp as somekind of degenerate multi-racial bastard, because i sure will.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
THis game looks like good shit. Can't wait to hook up with big milky demon succubuses and cool-ass death knights in order to fulfill my destiny as the lord of the underworld., Owlcat knows what the hell is up and Kingmaker was some Good fucking shit. I hope all faggots complaining about their games get stuck in BG3 Larian homo-hell and never recover their posture to post about another RPG ever again. This is the RPG to look forward to for all True Gamers.

Shinros

Learned
And speaking of reactivity... can one select the Devil mythic path as an Aasimar? :M

Well, it's a mythic path. Going by

The devil advisor within the Aeon mythic path says such an offer would be made to one who is exceptional. When you ask him about how you become a devil without torture. I suspect when you're handling the trials in order to get it you must side with what he recommends, because in the background your aeon teacher and the devil are basically grading you.

infniitron

Not Infinitron
Arueshalae.jpg

cdb8332baa7f0eae592327d719ac5d37_original.jpg
They made her Indian
decline.png
decline.png
decline.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom