Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tripedal

Augur
1d20 skillchecks should be replaced with 2d10. Right now, and given the railroaded style of the design, there's waaaaaaay too much randomness.
It's the same in tabletop.

Obviously it's not, there's no DM here to fudge rolls that need to be fudged, provide alternatives when they're needed, etc. If you fail a roll here it's basically either you're locked out of something, or you're immediately forced into combat, and that's it. There's virtually no situation in the game where you can "fail forward", or where failure might even be good, as eg in DE. Given that deficient design (and it's obviously not going to change, this is Larian we're talking about) the only possible fix is playing around with the RNG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hopefully they've toned down the barrels from D:OS levels, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a puzzle fight every now and then.

BG2 had puzzle fights without hp bloat. :M

I don't know what they mean by "level", but if it's the monster's challenge rating, those HP are not far off the norm. A CR 4 creature should have around 120 HP (less if it deals high amount of damage).

dmQM1mB.png

CR 4 means you have exactly 1 fight a party of 4 with a level of 4 and it's of medium difficulty. There are other monsters in that fight.

You seriously underestimate the damage output of a 4man lvl 4 party. Depending on her offenses and on how many adds she has this fight might not even be hard.

There are two other phase spiders and the spider also keeps spawning new creatures. Going by https://kastark.co.uk/rpgs/encounter-calculator-5th/ that gives it a challenge rating of 9 and deadly. :M

Going by https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...yone_defeated_the_phase_spider_matriarch_yet/ you're supposed to beat it in this specific way. Environmental nonsense, as I said.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Not my image but:
gci2bWu.jpg

A level 4 spider with 138(!) hp because they want to force you to use ~environmental effects~ to beat it. Fuck you Swen, this isn't D&D.
I don't know what they mean by "level", but if it's the monster's challenge rating, those HP are not far off the norm. A CR 4 creature should have around 120 HP (less if it deals high amount of damage).

dmQM1mB.png
138 HP is already CR5, which is cut off in your jpg. The Phase Spider Matriarch alone would be very challenging for this level 3 party, but there are a few CR1/8 spiders in the encounter as well.

Info: Each point of CR means that a creature should be a challenging encounter for a party of four to the corresponding level, e.g. a single CR1 creature is a medium encounter for four level 1 characters.
My party EASILY killed an owlbear and her cub with 80+ HP at around the level the player in that screenshot seems to be, so it looks pretty welcome to me.

I haven't used environmental effects yet. Not a single time in 8 hours of gameplay.

(As if 15 hp makes a difference anyway though lol.)
Every encounters rate as hard or deadly , keep in mind deadly means one character may die , it does not mean TPK .This spider fight is likely 2X 3X deadly. Its too hard for normies, but same normies would probably have a seizure and bite their tongues if playing KOTC2 .
For me combat was just fine, if you use envirnoment and place the characters correctly on roofs and high ground.Ended at level 4 on way to 5 , probably cause of too much rat diplomacy.
I think I'm in the same cave at level 3 now lol wish me luck.

Also, superb encounter design to have stepping on webs alert spiders and the ettercap.

Delterius

Arcane
And afaik, they have 7 writers. I have called them the 7-man cuck-squad before and they even acknowledged that (and were very proud of the name) on Twitter.
Holy fuck you were not lying:

Tells me everything that they consider it an honor.

its also an honor that they are aware that lacrymas said it

one honors the other honors the other honors the other forever

the honor markets can't sustain this

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck,this is a mockery of an rpg. This is all the levelling in this game. Just chose one of those two buttons and chose.
372YBzQ.png

And here is a bit of reactivity for infi :) ,me trying to use a resurrection scroll on a dude that just got killed. lol
FwmYDHe.jpg

The game does feel like a D&D session with the most annoying DM,the one you end up just walk off in 30 minutes after the start. Skill checks make sense on table top because the DM is a human being and could adapt to the situation,pc games are not humans because you just have to spend another 2 minutes watching the loading screen. Also the game really raped the rogue,no trap/secrets checking button,no sneak attacks,no backstabbing,the pickpocket is broken because you got caught even if you succeed,on a successful pickpocket roll you just have to pass a persuasion check after it lol. You have sneak attack but it works only if the enemy is disadvantaged or something,and only once lol. The combat is really slow and annoying,it is rare for game to make want to avoid any type of battle lol. On top of that the wizard is extremely dumbed down,it has cleric type of spell system,you have x amount of spells and you can cast what ever you want with them,also memorizing a spell scroll costs gold. Yeah i know that in d&d it cost gold too,but that is to buy the ingredients,it make no fucking sense to cost gold while you are throttling in the wild.

Characters are....ohh gods,it is one character really,the one of a annoying and bitchy 13 year old slut. They are insufferable! It is like a party of the most annoying evil-larpers that you have seen.

Generic-Giant-Spider

And afaik, they have 7 writers. I have called them the 7-man cuck-squad before and they even acknowledged that (and were very proud of the name) on Twitter.
Holy fuck you were not lying:

Tells me everything that they consider it an honor.

The greater lore is that even local fatman in trenchcoat, Jim FUCKING Sterling, knows of the RPG Codex's hideous existence going by the replies there.

This also explains why the Codex runs agonizingly slow at random times. His fatness weighs the poor servers down.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
uck,this is a mockery of an rpg. This is all the levelling in this game. Just chose one of those two buttons and chose.
As others have discussed, welcome to fifth edition.
I always knew that it was shit,but didn't expect it to be that much shit lol. Fuck i can't even distribute skill points like other ones. This is just press accept and move on shit.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

uck,this is a mockery of an rpg. This is all the levelling in this game. Just chose one of those two buttons and chose.
As others have discussed, welcome to fifth edition.
I always knew that it was shit,but didn't expect it to be that much shit lol. Fuck i can't even distribute skill points like other ones. This is just press accept and move on shit.
You’re missing the customize options on the right that you can scroll through and select the subclass and abilities/spells if you want.

The default options are for normies who after years of Skyrim probably have a hard time with basic math.

Still, it’s pretty basic compared to pathfinder.

Gargaune

Magister
You have sneak attack but it works only if the enemy is disadvantaged or something,and only once lol.
As I recall 5E P&P rules, the Rogue can apply Sneak Attack to the first attack on an enemy they have Advantage against. You can get Advantage from a variety of circumstances, most common being attacking from Stealth or enemy being engaged with someone else in melee. I assume high ground would count too. I actually felt like the rules were too generous with Advantage from Stealth, so I nerfed it a bit by stating that you got it from the enemy being unaware of you, otherwise it leads to some silly gameplay where the Rogue keeps ducking behind the same damned barrel screaming "cunning action hide, cunning action hide!"

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Backstab is there, I had a prompt on it couple of times. But the radius seems pretty small. There just isn't any reason to keep a rogue in the party since casters who have stacked DEX for hitting their projectiles can handle the lockpicking and such.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I was almost tempted to check it out, but then I remembered the game uses the dumb as shit dialogue system from OSII where instead of the player's dialogue being... well, dialogue, it's dumb past-tense emotes like *I told him about the ogres.* It's really jarring, and much worse than just regular dialogue. If you want to fuck up your own series with this idiocy, Larian, go ahead, but the dialogue in Baldur's Gate was never like this and it's incredibly hubristic to think your dumbfuck system is better than the earlier games. What's wrong with just seeing your character's lines?
Baldurs-Gate-3-Dialogue-System-Is-Past-Tense.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You have sneak attack but it works only if the enemy is disadvantaged or something,and only once lol.
As I recall 5E P&P rules, the Rogue can apply Sneak Attack to the first attack on an enemy they have Advantage against. You can get Advantage from a variety of circumstances, most common being attacking from Stealth or enemy being engaged with someone else in melee. I assume high ground would count too. I actually felt like the rules were too generous with Advantage from Stealth, so I nerfed it a bit by stating that you got it from the enemy being unaware of you, otherwise it leads to some silly gameplay where the Rogue keeps ducking behind the same damned barrel screaming "cunning action hide, cunning action hide!"
Nah stealth doesn't count as advantage,got really butthurt because of that. Also i don't think that high grounds matter. Anyway it is garbage system compared to 3.5 or pathfinder.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I was almost tempted to check it out, but then I remembered the game uses the dumb as shit dialogue system from OSII where instead of the player's dialogue being... well, dialogue, it's dumb past-tense emotes like *I told him about the ogres.* If you want to fuck up your own series with this idiocy, Larian, go ahead, but the dialogue in Baldur's Gate was never like this and it's incredibly hubristic to think your dumbfuck system is better than the earlier games. What's wrong with just seeing your character's lines?

It didn't let me put the moves on her and say, "THE TADPOLE IS DOING TO MY BRAIN WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO MY PENIS."

Just give me TEN MINUTES of freeflow dialogue with this bitch and she'll be on all fours by sundown. GUARANTEE.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was almost tempted to check it out, but then I remembered the game uses the dumb as shit dialogue system from OSII where instead of the player's dialogue being... well, dialogue, it's dumb past-tense emotes like *I told him about the ogres.* If you want to fuck up your own series with this idiocy, Larian, go ahead, but the dialogue in Baldur's Gate was never like this and it's incredibly hubristic to think your dumbfuck system is better than the earlier games. What's wrong with just seeing your character's lines?
They changed it,it is normal dialogue,thank God. Tho watch out for the spacebar,the UI is made by retards that have never played a fucking game in their life. Spacebar is to skip dialogue but it is also for selecting the highlighted option,which is retarded. Because of the dialogue being slow and laggy,you end up that the game didn't got that you hit the spacebar and end up selecting the dialogue. The UI is one of the worst i have seen in a long time ,even worst than wasteland 3.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The greater lore is that even local fatman in trenchcoat, Jim FUCKING Sterling, knows of the RPG Codex's hideous existence going by the replies there.

This also explains why the Codex runs agonizingly slow at random times. His fatness weighs the poor servers down.
That guy is a walking enigma to me. I can't understand how he exists.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It didn't let me put the moves on her and say, "THE TADPOLE IS DOING TO MY BRAIN WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO MY PENIS."

Just give me TEN MINUTES of freeflow dialogue with this bitch and she'll be on all fours by sundown. GUARANTEE.
You don't want that,she is insufferable. She will be nagging you about shit while fucking her in the ass lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom