Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This game has become completely unplayable over the last few months. Every single match has one or multiple griefers, people tilt 2 minutes in and it's just a miserable experience 99.9% of the time. It's unconscionable, unjustifiable and a complete waste of time.
Same as when I quit circa 2015 then.

This game has become completely unplayable over the last few months. Every single match has one or multiple griefers, people tilt 2 minutes in and it's just a miserable experience 99.9% of the time. It's unconscionable, unjustifiable and a complete waste of time.
Same as when I quit circa 2015 then.
To some extent, Dota has always been about managing your expectations and rolling with what you have, ignoring the truly egregious griefers. However, the proportion of games with griefers and people that give up 2 minutes in used to be much less 3-4 years ago - I took a break for about a year and now it's just through the roof. Unplayable.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I don't think Dota will ever truly 'die' because many people have invested tens of thousands of hours into it and most are susceptible to the sunken cost fallacy - however, I'm pretty sure it will continue dwindling in numbers if some serious thought is not put into the player experience. If even someone like me, who has over 10k hours in the game and has played since 2011, can't justify putting in even a single match a day, then how can they hope to keep the game alive?
Have to think some of that will go away after tomorrow.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whenever I play (rare nowadays too) I just call them out on their low T, and they calm down. Just do your best. Some people come shaken from their previously lost game and just tilt faster in yours.

Unironically, PMA and positive reinforcement can work before you get to the point where they're tilted. High 5 people and tell them that they played well, and they generally tilt less.

Well I do tilt in extreme situations just a normal human being, however I do try to to win all of my games and never go afk fountain or anything like that.

I certainly don't tilt 2 minutes in when my someone else on my team doesn't do what I expect them to.

My behaviour score is 8k something, not that low.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I think 8k might actually be somewhat low; it means you're operating under a certain level of abandons or reports, and you'll also be playing with such people.
After all, given how butthurt the playerbase as a whole is, even being in the 80th-90th most positive players would still leave plenty of leeway for throwing and tilting.
At 10k behaviour score I never see anyone griefing any more, the worst that happens is whining while still playing.

Who knows, maybe behaviour score matchmaking is bad for playercount, because it means the lower behaviour score players have to put up with each other every match.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
My behaviour score is 8k something, not that low.

oh i think mine's 8.5k around or something
when I played years ago I abandoned a ton and didn't really care lol
so anyway it took FOREVER to build up to whatever score I have now and when it was lower EVERY match was filled with like 9 perpetually tilted people

I actually remember a point when it was better to be in low priority because people actually played the games there lmao

flyingjohn

Arcane

I don't think Dota will ever truly 'die' because many people have invested tens of thousands of hours into it and most are susceptible to the sunken cost fallacy - however, I'm pretty sure it will continue dwindling in numbers if some serious thought is not put into the player experience. If even someone like me, who has over 10k hours in the game and has played since 2011, can't justify putting in even a single match a day, then how can they hope to keep the game alive?

My best games were always in low priority.
You have no idea what you are gonna get but damn if people didn't stick to the end and troll the doomers every single minute until they shut up.
I will always remember the German bible quoting doom trolling both teams while doing crazy pro moves when he felt like it.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I play NA, and I actually got like people Immortal top 2k in my low prio games. Fantastic time, if it weren't for the fact that they expected the same level of competence from everyone, and didn't talk much.

s2jgjg4ep6s51.jpg

TheGoldenOne

Novice
after a year without any updates lol

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Trying to create my own blog! By the way, I am using this service with translations https://pickwriters.com/website-localization-services to make my website multilangual
Also it helps me to expand my tech vocabulary :)

Last edited:
As expected, low energy, perfunctory crap. Soft 'resets' do nothing. Only very vague feelgood tripe about actions being taken against smurfs and gameruiners, nothing to any real effect.

At this point Valve is just in cruise control mode. I doubt Icefrog is even with them anymore. Dota 'team' is probably 3 interns working from a basement somewhere while execs count their battlepass moolah.

The_Mask

Patron
I'm more interested in that system where you report/shun toxicity and so on, because that may very well be used against smurfs/boosters, but I doubt anyone at Valve cares about that.
All they care about is TI, and maybe the majors.

JRIz

Augur
For some reason, I got a little (a little more actually) into this game. But I'm beginning to see the limitations of always being thrown in with random people. Are there people here who would like to play as a team sometimes?

edit: That would be in Central Europe.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
^^ lol yeah I matched two games in a row where I had pos 1 and 3 teammates who literally stood at tower and did nothing and was like level 3 15 minutes in
ended up just abandoning and uninstalling because fuck any game that tries to waste an hour of my time like that

good luck tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom