Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Participating games in next week's Steam Game Festival. https://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamefestival_schedule

Some Codex interest.

Black Legend
Dark Envoy
Revolution: The Spark
Stirring Abyss
Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos
Xuan-Yuan Sword VII

There are returning games like Solasta and Gamedec too. (Actually I wonder if Solasta's demo will be a new one considering that EA release is not far.)

Full list for tomorrow:

Black Legend
Dark Envoy
Disjunction
Fabled Lands
Gamedec
Revolution: The Spark
Roadwarden
Siege Survival: Gloria Victis
Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Stirring Abyss
Tenderfoot Tactics
The Hand of Merlin
The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante
Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos
Undungeon
Werewolf: The Apocalypse — Heart of the Forest

And some strategy games:

Builders of Egypt
Partisans 1941
Stronghold: Warlords

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Eterna: Heroes Fall, turn-based fantasy RPG spans over decades with generations of characters. Aesthetics look like some kind of mobile game tbh.

It has a demo for the festival.

ss_57e89c0e6751d94fa14f25f5ba47c6cc6cd28fa7.600x338.jpg
ss_5a764507aac6c6364a1f60911c3b858d48376927.600x338.jpg

Slaves of Magic... Prelude. Sort of combat demo for some kind of fantasy tactics. It's not out for the festival.

ss_0e11951bc788f86bdaf6c66f2ec0962fdb83ef48.600x338.jpg
ss_170964b1025b63d77bc4de07ae8f53a8bc355d1f.600x338.jpg

Ziggurat 2, the sequel to 2014 fantasy roguelite FPS. It looks more cartoony than the previous game, almost WoW-ish:

ss_3eb396cf1c32cc13554a0f11d0fbaf1e3b2b7e3e.600x338.jpg
ss_c145ced6adab2d2d5a53eb77c5d2367502932ffe.600x338.jpg

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Most importantly all those sega megadrive/genesis classics are quite cheap right now

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13945/SEGA_Mega_Drive_and_Genesis_Classics/

I know 99% of us already has them on emulators, but for those who want to have it 100% legal it's not a bad deal.

I wanted to get the rest of the original Sonic games when they gave away Sonic 2 (one of the first games I ever played), and it was like a dollar more to get the rest of the titles. It's got a lot going for it, rather than just being a UX shell over an emulator.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Regarding the Steam Game Festival...

Party Animals
: Played a few rounds with a buddy, seems boring and repetitive. WYSIWYG game about cutesy animals hitting each other in Multiplayer trying to throw each other off a platform.

The Survivalists: Acceptable, but kinda boring too. Reminded me a bit of Don't Starve, but worse. Maybe something if you're into that kind of stuff and looking for something new.

UnDungeon: The pleasant surprise from some of the Demos I tried lately, and relatively promising. Seems to be a Russian-developed ARPG but with a lot of Multiple-choice dialogues and generally a lot of lore. The story seems to be about 7 Multidimensional earths merging together and some of the Cinematics I've seen so far seem snazzy enough, even though they're Pixely:

It has a bit of a Fallout feel to it too with you traveling a Wasteland via an Overland map containing things like non-combat settlements, temples, ruins etc. while the weirdness of the world and the characters you meet are closer to Planescape. There's lots of exploration of new places and travel takes days getting between two points of interest (although so far I can't see a time-mechanic that would make you hurry up). You have to dig for more information about where interesting places might be nearby through dialogue or exploration and need to do shit like find or buy a Translation device to be able to talk to the locals. There's also random Encounters on the map from Ambushes to other combat encounters or meeting Traveling vendors and whatnot.

There's Barter Trading where you can offer up items to get items, if you do favors for the specific Nomadic tribes they won't Markup their wares quite as much. You have Arm/Chest/Head/Unavailable item pieces that influence your combat skills and abilities, they usually have a main ability and a "charge" ability. Changing them can change the gameplay rather drastically. For instance there are pairs of claws that act more like AoE hitting a wider field in front of you, you can switch them against high-impact point claws or ranged ones you can shoot things with. The chest slot usually has some sort of shield ability (whether one-hit or specific amount of damage) and something else, for instance you can lay exploding mines or similar), but there's also chest-pieces that can make you invisible or similar. The head slot seems to be for Evasion and kiting. Along with three items that falls into the throwable/healing/bombs category and shit like Runes to increase Skills like Barter or general combat stuff Damage, Armor, Shield, HP, Critical etc. and you can Upgrade your internal Organs by crafting better ones from parts you find off slain enemies (the only player character in the Demo so far is some sort of Void Lich).

The gameplay itself might not exactly be the best I've seen in all ARPGs, but the interesting lore, design and other elements kind of make up for it - while some ARPGs get boring because 97% is just clicking things dead there's a lot of other things to do here and the Quests seem varied enough, at least so far.

The Demo is relatively long (like 6-7 hours, the complete First Chapter), you should at least give this a try if you enjoy RPGs.

For Adventure Games fans, gonna be trying these soon, especially the first seems Monkey Island-y:

Conquistadors vs. Samurai? From the Trailer at least it seems kinda interesting (although there's no Demo), seems to be an MMO though:

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Per Aspera: I don't really "get it", it's a very Minimalistic "Mars Colonization Simulator" that doesn't even bother to render Mars and instead has a "paper globe" with a bare-bones UI where you build mines and factories. Also it stops the moment the first shuttle with colonists lands. If you want something like that, "Surviving Mars" seemed much better, and even that wasn't particularly mind-blowing. For some reason I had it on my Wishlist and it's gone now.
20201011195810_1p5kxg.jpg

Natural Instincts
: A Nature Documentary with an Ecological Subtext as a game, it looks nice but is about as exciting to play as that sounds. After finishing a short Tutorial telling you that cars are bad, you'll be asked to facilitate the grand Quest of rabbits mating with each other, which is easier said than done, since they have a Horniness meter.
20201012030128_143j89.jpg

Nine Witches: Family Disruption
: An Adventure game about a paraplegic Russian professor of the Occult, Alexei during the Nazi rule. You play as either him or his Japanese assistant, Akiro. Nazi General Von Darka is apparently performing Witch rituals in the Norwegian town of Sundäe and you are sent to investigate. At the beginning it tells you that a Controller is preferred, Examine/Use are bound to X/A, Y is the inventory, with B the professor can astral project to talk to ghosts or find items. You switch characters with the Trigger buttons, Shoulder buttons open the Notebook and you can move up or down in Pseudo-3D space. There was also a pistol duel in the Demo. Mildly humoristic, but nothing to write home about. The Demo ended just when it kinda got a bit interesting.
20201012035515_1rakzk.jpg

Drone Swarm
: Aliens attack Earth and destroy it in 2111. You set out in an Ark ship called the Argo with an incredibly diverse crew and 32k people in Stasis to find a new Earth and jump from system to system fighting battles after Psyonics manage to hijack the Alien technology. Intro and Campaign progress is being told via Motion comic panels. Your ship is surrounded by drones that can be used offensively or defensively in battle. Either they can make defensive shields or offensively penetrate enemy ships. You draw with your mouse on the screen where you want to place them or where they should attack. Could be interesting from a novel gameplay perspective, but wasn't particularly during the half hour the Demo lasts.
20201012042321_1e8kls.jpg

Mutropolis
: You play Henry, an Archeologist in the Post-Cataclysmic 50th century looking for Muttropolis (which could ironically be New York) in this Spanish Broken Age-like Adventure game. The Demo throws you right into the middle of the game, expecting you to know who everyone is and what's what. Extremely simplistic to the point that it seems to be primarily targeted towards tablets, since it only has one context-sensitive click. You spend the entire Demo in a cave, by the end of it I was already bored of it. Very meh.

Xuan Yuan 7
: A Chinese Souls-like Action-RPG taking place in 21AD during the Han dynasty, but with spells, monsters and shit. Spoken dialogue is in Chinese, Graphics are okay, but technically it's a bit lacking (level design and environmental textures aren't on par with Modern releases, and it has microlags when loading new sections and texture pop-ins). It seems rather hand-holdy in the beginning, but difficulty increases a lot by the first few group battles. There's also Unskippable Mini-Cutscenes interrupting every few seconds in the beginning and even Quicktime events for doing things. Very Chinese. Interesting to see and not too bad once you get to the gameplay part, but not something I would likely play at length.
20201012063118_10jj7n.jpg

20201012054103_1hkj86.jpg
20201012054818_1jaktb.jpg
20201012060032_17zku6.jpg
20201012061910_1qak8l.jpg
20201012062400_14jjq8.jpg

Shing!: Downloaded cause of Tits! but didn't end up liking the battle system. All attacks seem to happen by moving the right stick on the Controller for some reason.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Outland by Housemarque back in Steam, pretty good "Metroidvania" type of game, it was gone for a while, no idea why

Latelistener

Arcane
Played a few demos from the festival.

This one is great. Basically, a top-down Resident Evil in WWI setting. Has the right atmosphere. Incline.

This is a turn-based card-building fighting game. Looks promising so far.

This one is already got many positive reviews on Metacritic and is coming out soon.

Dexter

Arcane
Partisans 1941: Liked what I've seen of it a lot more than Desperados 3, although the story is laying it on a bit thick at the start. If you like anything like that or Commandos you've gotta try this. There's an intricate Level-up system, an Ambush system where you can lay in wait and start engaging when you're ready. You apparently get Bonus points for your Partisan group from grabbing items like food and weapon parts during your missions and there's inventory Tetris since you can only carry so much, but stealing from the Locals gives your squad a Morale penalty. I like the way Squad combat works and the way the Pause button and attack-queuing behaves etc.
20201013075610_1thk68.jpg

20201012072745_1mikqw.jpg

20201013080232_1vvk5c.jpg
20201013080329_1dnja3.jpg
20201013080502_1g5kzo.jpg
20201013081352_11ejeq.jpg
20201013081545_1j0k4g.jpg

Papetura: Stop-motion Adventure with a really short (5min) Demo. Difficult to have an opinion.
20201012224414_1iwktl.jpg

Encodya: Cyberpunk Adventure in "Neo-Berlin" about a 9-year old girl and her robot S.A.M. 53. You can switch between them to solve puzzles. Character models and Animations are kinda awkward. Otherwise charming enough, loved some of the backgrounds and animated movie bits setting the mood. Loading times between Screens is annoying and it has maybe a bit too much emphasis on Pixel hunting with sometimes hard to see items.
20201012232854_13ujwa.jpg

20201012232448_1qsjrf.jpg
20201012231806_15fjl6.jpg
20201013071311_1zek5m.jpg

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Dry Twice: Not exactly the Larry I remember. Simplistic interface leaving only two Options for the left and right Mouse button, Tooltips show up all the time during the beginning when the game forces you to go through a "Babby's First Adventure" kind of Tutorial teaching you how to traverse between screens, look at or combine items and you can't look at anything else until you're done. At the end there's a "Sensitivity Training" about the 21st century asking you about "genders", "depression" and "sexist jokes"... Also there's some annoying iPhone AI lady commenting on everything you do. It seems to have support for Controllers too, binding the Actions to the X/A buttons, but the Tooltips for those are apparently not implemented yet. I guess it's Adventure-y enough and not as much of a catastrophe as "German Simon the Sorcerer" if you can look past some stuff and have no illusions that this is a "Classic Larry" game.
20201013052833_1r1ksd.jpg

The Red Solstice 2: Survivors: Objective-based ARPG for 8+ people killing Alien scum on Mars and stuff. There will apparently be a Campaign, but only a Tutorial and a few different Online maps were available during the "Demo". Kind of reminiscent of Alien Swarm or Alien Shooter with different classes like Assault, Medic, Demolitionist etc. where you can configure your Class, Loadout and Skills before the Start of a game in the Lobby. Rough around the edges at first, but can grow on you in 8+ player games with ppl splitting up into groups and playing objectives while scrounging Ammo/Consumables and trying to stay alive.
20201013014135_1w1kis.jpg

Gamedec: You play a "Game Detective" as the name might insinuate, taking cases that have to do with VR games. Interesting, but a bit too much on the dialogue-heavy side without much gameplay. Feels more like a Top-down Adventure game with very few actual puzzle parts (most of the "puzzles" are dialogue-wrangling) than any kind of RPG, but Demo is too short to tell much of anything and is basically two two-room areas. It also seems very Glazier-biased (one of four classes - basically a Hacker, getting most Options). No background sound or music doesn't help set the mood. Writing on the "Update my Journal" Ingame Codex that for some reason seems to mostly be disguised as interviews and dialogue is very prose-laden, making it not very pleasant to read.
20201013090430_1jhjf0.jpg

Anyone played SpellForce III? How is it? It's 75% Off:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom