Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Bara

Arcane
Honestly Spellforce 3 is a gem I wish more regular people were talking about and playing. Story, music, and art are above and beyond a lot of stuff that releasing now a days.

Combat could use more polishing I haven't tried anything above normal I'll probably save that for when base campagin gets ported over to soul harvest but enough levels/loot your heroes can basically finish a map while the enemy economy is also starting.

I remember in Soul Harvest getting the armor of General Noria the fact that it had a aura that stuns humanoid non-bosses made rushing buildings total joke. Don't get me wrong I love it but it just felt a little too easy to break the game.

Also, speaking of the games Spellforce 3 base is discounted to $12 bucks on gog and Soul Harvest is $8 good time to buy it. Soul Harvest is stand alone so you can play it by itself but it is set after the base campaign. Also, you may need to own the base campaign to play the soul harvest version but that I'm unsure of.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do hope to see the old rpg/skill system making a return,it is better than the new one. Tho the new rts mechanics are better.
Eh, what was good about it was the potential for specialization and the mindbogling amount of spells you have (that you never use due to the nature of the game) which could be found while exploring. The downsides were everything else - lackluster mages, outright useless categories (curses, nature), critical balance issues among the useful ones, hybrids not actually all that viable. If those were fixed, I'd definitely prefer it over Spellforce 3's basically linear trees.

Speaking of Spellforce 3, is it just me or is this game crazy pretty, especially the maps? These are the only 3D maps in an isometric game that 1) I actually like and 2) leave me awestruck. They look almost 2Dish but 3D, I don't know how to explain it. Massive props to the environmental designers and whoever else worked on the maps.
Ahh you are just shit it at it mate,i prefer the more complex system,the new rpg system is very dumbed down.

And yeah,the engine is really good. The game looks great while running smoothly.

jf8350143

Liturgist
So does this expansion works like the last one where it's a essentially a separate game and you can't get access to the previous content?

Last time I checked they were going to port the base game into the first expansion, but never did it. So now are they going to port both the base game and the first expansion into this one?

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Apparently the latest news is

unknown.png

:mixedemotions:

ChildInTime

Learned
This new addon will have a troll MC? That's a new one for the series. Wish we could have had a dark elf instead, but oh well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ahh you are just shit it at it mate,
Ugh, what does that have to do with anything? There are massive issues with Spellforce 1's system that are independent of anyone's skill level. There's a reason nobody plays the main campaign as something other than heavy melee + boons (check let's plays on YouTube). The only mage that comes even close is the necromancer *in the expansions* due to Awaken the Dead or whatever the name was, where you could have basically unlimited amounts of skeletons running around. If there's a game that would benefit immensely from a remaster/remake/whatever, it's Spellforce 1. Balance the categories, remove the grind (or the level requirements on items), make hybrids more viable, rework 80% of the spells to be more in-line with the actual way the game plays, then we'll talk. Spellforce 3 is more like Warcraft 3, in which the heroes have a limited spell selection and that's ok as far as gameplay goes. What I'd have preferred is less linear trees. The way it is now, you are almost forced to pick everything in a tree and then choose which spells you want in any given situation. Which is not bad per se, I just don't see how that's different from Spellforce 1 or 2, or how that justifies having trees. The difference is the amount of spells you can have "active" at any one time, which as far as an RTS/RPG "hybrid" goes, I think it's maybe the more sensible solution. What is not sensible, however, is the obvious skew of usefulness towards AoE spells due to the RTS part. This was mostly true in earlier parts of this series too, but they somehow limited the amount of AoE spells in general (which is coincidentally a reason why mages suck). I literally have 1 AoE spell in my current playthrough of Spellforce 2 halfway through the game, while the elementalist in Spellforce 3 has 2 AoE spells (out of 3 slots) right off the bat.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahh you are just shit it at it mate,
Ugh, what does that have to do with anything? There are massive issues with Spellforce 1's system that are independent of anyone's skill level. There's a reason nobody plays the main campaign as something other than heavy melee + boons (check let's plays on YouTube). The only mage that comes even close is the necromancer *in the expansions* due to Awaken the Dead or whatever the name was, where you could have basically unlimited amounts of skeletons running around. If there's a game that would benefit immensely from a remaster/remake/whatever, it's Spellforce 1. Balance the categories, remove the grind (or the level requirements on items), make hybrids more viable, rework 80% of the spells to be more in-line with the actual way the game plays, then we'll talk. Spellforce 3 is more like Warcraft 3, in which the heroes have a limited spell selection and that's ok as far as gameplay goes. What I'd have preferred is less linear trees. The way it is now, you are almost forced to pick everything in a tree and then choose which spells you want in any given situation. Which is not bad per se, I just don't see how that's different from Spellforce 1 or 2, or how that justifies having trees. The difference is the amount of spells you can have "active" at any one time, which as far as an RTS/RPG "hybrid" goes, I think it's maybe the more sensible solution. What is not sensible, however, is the obvious skew of usefulness towards AoE spells due to the RTS part. This was mostly true in earlier parts of this series too, but they somehow limited the amount of AoE spells in general (which is coincidentally a reason why mages suck). I literally have 1 AoE spell in my current playthrough of Spellforce 2 halfway through the game, while the elementalist in Spellforce 3 has 2 AoE spells (out of 3 slots) right off the bat.
:deathclaw:
What are on about? I said that the RPG system in the expansion is decline compared to spellforce 3 original RPG system. I didn't even mention spellfroce 1 and 2 lol. Also mage companions were fine in the first two game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I thought by "the old RPG mechanics/systems" you meant Spellforce 1. It really wasn't clear and I didn't know there was a difference between 3 and Soul Harvest. I assumed that because Spellforce 1 has the most "in-depth" RPG character building.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The upcoming expansion is the game I'm looking forward to the most this year.
That is very accurate statement,the last expansion was as big as an actual game.

I thought by "the old RPG mechanics/systems" you meant Spellforce 1. It really wasn't clear and I didn't know there was a difference between 3 and Soul Harvest. I assumed that because Spellforce 1 has the most "in-depth" RPG character building.
Ahhh we are talking about SF3,why the fuck i should refer to SF1 without explicitly naming it? And yeah there was a difference between the expansion and the original game. They improved the strategy aspect but dumbed down the rpg element.

krilcebre

Learned
Yes, maps are really amazing, but I'd like to add that writing and voice acting are on another level too, at least compared to most of the stuff that came out in the last years. I really enjoyed the story, both the base game and the expansion, and the amount of interesting side quests is really big too.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking forward to this too, since the original and the expansion was great. But playing as troll has put a bit of hamper on the hype. I mean trolls :)

It's like the StarCraft 2 expansions. Just couldn't get into them, even if I really enjoyed Wings of Liberty.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Picked up both SF3 and the (first) expansion on sale at GOG. Will probably play them sometime in 2021.

Silly Germans

The Spellforce 3 story/telling is better than the majority of recent rpgs. It is a shame how incompetent rpgs have become at telling a good fantasy story with adequate gameplay.

Salvo

Arcane
The Spellforce 3 story/telling is better than the majority of recent rpgs. It is a shame how incompetent rpgs have become at telling a good fantasy story with adequate gameplay.

The way they offed
Cpl. Tahar, the protagonist from the main game in SF3
was terrible though.

Silly Germans

The way they offed
was terrible though.
I was referring to the main game. The addon is a bit worse in my opinion but still worth playing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The way they offed
was terrible though.
I was referring to the main game. The addon is a bit worse in my opinion but still worth playing.
Yeah,the faggot writing is shit too. If this expansion also increases the amount of butthurt faggit insertion,i will drop it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Some more observatuons:

It's a genius move to have a essentially two missions before the game proper starts. Old Haalayash and the prologue give you e oufh time to understand all the trees and how they play, so you feel prepared to choose which ones to use when you are creating your own character. Using the same portrait for two different companions in OH and the prologue was maybe not the most galaxy brain decision, but whatever.

Stats have quite the impact on your character. You'll definitely feel it when you have dumped some of them.

The city feels like a city with a lot going on. It's also beautiful, one of the most beautiful in RPG history.

The lore is kinda weird if you know what's been going on in the other Spellforce games. I'm on two minds about this. This one definitely has more potential to go somewhere interesting, but it feels uncanny valley-esque if you put it in the context of the other two Spellforces (Spellforce 2 is very light on lore, though). You hear familiar names, but everything around them is different. This is not a bad thing, just weird.

The trial scene was a bit uncomfortable to sit through (in a neutral way). It's obvious by the framing who we are supposed to root for, so it doesn't work as a super serious moment, but sending the woman to be executed in that nasty way made me want to do something about it, which is good.

I don't understand why more people aren't talking about and playing this game, especially on this forum.

Sjukob

Arcane
I don't understand why more people aren't talking about and playing this game, especially on this forum.
I've played Spellforce 1, interesting idea for the game, but the execution was terrible. I finished the original campaign, but gave up on the expansions, the increased difficulty made the many downsides of the game even more obnoxious. Soundtrack was fantastic, though.

I play Spellforce 2 from time to time, still in the early stages of the campaign. It might've been dumbed down, but it plays much better than it's predecessor. It is quite enjoyable, I see myself finishing it someday.

My pc is too shit to play Spellforce 3, may be I'll upgrade it in spring and check it out by then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom