Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

hell bovine

Arcane
Styg posted on steam forums that they are working on it.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Damn, that shit is good. Does savefile editing still works? Can anyone do it? The epic fail of starting high Will character and failing Oculus questline... It's like that time in Fallout 2 when I didn't dump CHA and made a char especially for recruiting followers, and then proceeded to get the Childkiller title in Den.
facepalm.png

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Hit level 20 with my wizard char on DOM, so I want to make a few comments...

Full PSI is not only viable, but quite OP, nerf notwithstanding. I didn't play wizards before the nerf, but given that the biggest changes were psi-reserves and innervation thingy, I can imagine how it was and it doesn't change much. This time I didn't even drafted the build - just went on "kek, whatever comes", so no, my build is definitely not some well-oiled machine like Sheepherder plays. Right now its 9 AG, 14 WI and 10 INT, rest dumped; main offense is TC and PK, TM lagging behind but I will bring it up to shape; ignored MT. Zero points in offensive and defensive skills, although I use some grenades (don't buy or craft them, only those I find). Good crafting skills.

Char is super squishy, but it doesn't really matter. I was so elated when I was able to finish fights without anyone making a shot at me with my lazor char, but with wizard - it's nothing unusual. Damage output is shit without crits, and even with crits it's not enough; some heavy hitters like Telepucnh do like ~400 mechanical damage, which is quite low. But the amount of tools the game gives you with PSI is fucking ridiculous, nothing else even comes close. There's so much shit you can do, and there are some very powerful combos: e.g., aggro some people, Locus of Control + Premeditation + Bilocation then Force Field - and I can literally just walk away when the doppelganger party is going on and return to collect the spoils later. Innervation kinda limits this feast, but I still innervate spells from three different schools.

As with any build, there are my arch-nemeses. With tank it was doppelgangers; with lazor it was Coil-spiders and with wizard it's those fucking mines and traps. Playing with 3 PER is fucking pain.

hell bovine

Arcane
Psi Damage with criticals is enough on dominating provided you stack it. E.g. craft a headband with bonus damage and bonus criticals, carry a spirit staff, use trance etc. My psychosis wizard was disposing of everything except robots with loc/neural overload. And for robots he had a separate headband and it was psychostatic electricity zapping (without trance, though, as electrokinesis is too costly unlike neural overload). For single targets it was tk proxy combined with tk punch and implosion if needed.

On any difficulty below dominating you don't even have to stack damage, high will and maxed skills are enough.

Essegi

Cipher
For a first playthrough it's better to play it with or without Expedition expansion?
I'm asking since i own just the base game. Should i just buy Expedtion before playing?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Psi Damage with criticals is enough on dominating provided you stack it. E.g. craft a headband with bonus damage and bonus criticals, carry a spirit staff, use trance etc. My psychosis wizard was disposing of everything except robots with loc/neural overload. And for robots he had a separate headband and it was psychostatic electricity zapping (without trance, though, as electrokinesis is too costly unlike neural overload). For single targets it was tk proxy combined with tk punch and implosion if needed.
Damn, I really miss not taking Survival Instincts. And the thing is, Will and INT and non negotiable; the third stat is up to my choosing. CON means SI and AG means stealth, initiative and mobility, so I chose AG. But now, thinking, it's perfectly possible to have both CON and AG.

https://underrail.info/build/?HgMDC...8ocsK3YsKuwp1sV-KitQLio4kF4qukBeKslwHiubwC378

5% base + 20% Psychosis + 30% SI + ~10% from headband + 10% infused rathound = 75% crit chance without any drugs and food with ~130 HP, decent stealth, initiative and huge mana pool.

The part about
This time I didn't even drafted the build - just went on "kek, whatever comes"
definitely bites me in the ass right now. But I'll do without, eh?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
For a first playthrough it's better to play it with or without Expedition expansion?
I'm asking since i own just the base game. Should i just buy Expedtion before playing?
With, while the bulk of it's content is in an area-cordoned off from the vanilla map it still adds a lot of non-locational stuff to the rest of the game. Spears, Shotguns, Swords, Temporal Manipulation, Feat Specialization and Veteran-level perks, what it adds to the base game in addition to the new location is well worth it for a first time player.

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
>underrail.com hosting account gets suspended for no apparent reason
>underrail.info hosting account gets suspended for no apparent reason
Neat coincidence, huh. I think I'll just go line my fisherman hat with tinfoil.

epeli

Arcane

Nah, it really was just a ridiculous coincidence. Two completely unrelated webhosts suspending two closely related websites within a few days. At least I got luckier than Styg and my tiny little site's already back online.

But man, Underrail's web presence is cursed. Cursed, I tell ya! I've had other small hobby sites up for over a decade without any service interruptions, but this underrail thingy seems to run into all sorts of unexpected problems. And so does Styg's own site.

Sykar

Arcane
Hit level 20 with my wizard char on DOM, so I want to make a few comments...

Full PSI is not only viable, but quite OP, nerf notwithstanding. I didn't play wizards before the nerf, but given that the biggest changes were psi-reserves and innervation thingy, I can imagine how it was and it doesn't change much. This time I didn't even drafted the build - just went on "kek, whatever comes", so no, my build is definitely not some well-oiled machine like Sheepherder plays. Right now its 9 AG, 14 WI and 10 INT, rest dumped; main offense is TC and PK, TM lagging behind but I will bring it up to shape; ignored MT. Zero points in offensive and defensive skills, although I use some grenades (don't buy or craft them, only those I find). Good crafting skills.

Char is super squishy, but it doesn't really matter. I was so elated when I was able to finish fights without anyone making a shot at me with my lazor char, but with wizard - it's nothing unusual. Damage output is shit without crits, and even with crits it's not enough; some heavy hitters like Telepucnh do like ~400 mechanical damage, which is quite low. But the amount of tools the game gives you with PSI is fucking ridiculous, nothing else even comes close. There's so much shit you can do, and there are some very powerful combos: e.g., aggro some people, Locus of Control + Premeditation + Bilocation then Force Field - and I can literally just walk away when the doppelganger party is going on and return to collect the spoils later. Innervation kinda limits this feast, but I still innervate spells from three different schools.

As with any build, there are my arch-nemeses. With tank it was doppelgangers; with lazor it was Coil-spiders and with wizard it's those fucking mines and traps. Playing with 3 PER is fucking pain.

The problem is not the balance but how boring PSI has become, before you could utilize a variety of combos, now you get shoehorned into one school or two utilizing the same combo or same two combos over and over. Variety not power was what made old PSI so fun. Contrast with AR tin can where you just spam Burst with the occasional Aimed Shot/Grenade and you can see what was so appealing. Furthermore this change has killed niche spells since now they have a huge opportunity cost. In principle I like the changes, in execution, not so much.

Calcium

Educated
I gave them meds and restored their power. Hopefully that alleviates their suffering. So far the expansion has been great, even better than the main game.

Sheepherder

Augur
Tanks are good! Especially if you overspecialize tanking, to the detriment of everything else.
This time around I'm running a psi-less, MAX CON grenadier on Dominating. During most fights, it is completely stationary, just standing there, tanking damage and throwing a grenade every two turns.

The defenses include:
  • capped mechanical resistance at 95%, from full tungsten armor;
  • high heat DR;
  • 60+ mechanical DT;
  • temporary, total immunity to mechanical damage due to stacked damage reduction from lifting belt, conditioning, mushroom brew, aegis and morphine;
  • 750 HP at level 23 (1k+ at lvl 30);
  • regenerative vest which heals 53 HP every turn when under 70% HP;
  • specced Fast Metabolism which raises the healing of regenerative vest to 73, meaning I can currently regenerate 730 damage per fight. Which plays very nice with the temporary damage immunity: if I ever find myself in trouble, I pop morphine and regen ~220 HP before it runs out. And since my damage reduction is high even without morphine, the damage from morphine is negligible;
  • advanced health hypos heal for ~130 HP;
  • Thick Skull;
  • situational protection against Mental Breakdown: throwing a molotov at my feet when I know I'll be fighting Thought Controller enemies. Heat damage from burning ground breaks Mental Breakdown. High Heat DR means I take little self damage;
  • At level 26 - Tempered: Electricity, for extra protection against Thought Controllers
  • -10% to get critically hit
For offense I have:
  • Grenades. I get to throw one every two turns. It's nice when I don't miss.
  • Quick tinkering. I set a Mk.4 frag mine next to me. I praise God. I throw a grenade at my feet. Infidels die.
This build also has 7 STR. Tungsten armor has a STR requirement of 9 in order to wear it without penalties to AP. The absolute minimum AP you can have is 35, it cannon be reduced any lower. And since throwing a grenade costs 15AP, I'm fine with 35 AP.

First and second invasions from the natives. Sec troopers took ~100 damage over each fight, while I tanked everything else. I also triggered invasions from the pirates, gonna see how I do against them. Surprisingly, The most dangerous foes are the crossbowmen, as they apply Leper poison, which increases damage taken.
vJadZq0.jpg

UxPePRs.jpg

Enemies sometimes run out of ammo during fights and are forced to attack me using fists. Here's Bullseye, a crossbow gladiator from the arena, after he shot all his bolts at me.
gU5VzjP.jpg

Grey army base. Longest fight I've had with this build. I stood in a corner while soldiers shot at me turn after turn after turn.
NIi0E10.jpg

And the 4naga fight. Best way to deal with them using grenades is Mk.3 EMPs. It's also important to force them into melee range. Not seen here, is me resisting +600 damage per melee hit.
wdfj1BF.jpg

ciox

Liturgist
Nice, worth a full build link I think.

Heavy tanks are definitely fun, tried some unusual psi and sniper variants and they went pretty great.
With both of them I was tempted to use some unarmed here and there because of the high STR and ease of adding metal spikes everywhere, good option when you run out of psi or get melee'd as a sniper.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Damn, that shit is good. Does savefile editing still works? Can anyone do it? The epic fail of starting high Will character and failing Oculus questline... It's like that time in Fallout 2 when I didn't dump CHA and made a char especially for recruiting followers, and then proceeded to get the Childkiller title in Den.
facepalm.png

restart bitch

Sheepherder

Augur
Nice, worth a full build link I think.

Heavy tanks are definitely fun, tried some unusual psi and sniper variants and they went pretty great.
With both of them I was tempted to use some unarmed here and there because of the high STR and ease of adding metal spikes everywhere, good option when you run out of psi or get melee'd as a sniper.

I warn you though, while it's very fun to play, it's not very "good". It's a gimmick build after all. Does what I wanted it to do and not much else.
https://underrail.info/build/?HgcHA...AAAAFJQCGMWVT4vDignME4bwoNxwrJz4p2gBeKosArfvw
I'm still not sure what feat to take at level 24. Might get Last Stand, but if I ever get to the point where it's useful, I'll be dead anyway.
Hypertoxicity is for caltrops. Not very useful so far, tbh.

Also, this is what fight against burrowers, expedition spiders and other melee critters look like most of the time. Can't wait to fight the strogmen horde in the Medical Center.
cgXRc5a.jpeg

Sheepherder

Augur
I warn you though, while it's very fun to play, it's not very "good". It's a gimmick build after all. Does what I wanted it to do and not much else.
Wan't you, perchance, inspired by my draft of Master Exploder build? I see that you didn't bother with the Blast Suit.
Nah, I tried playing another tank before this. It was an AR tincan, but I got bored of it really fast. So I decided to crank the tankiness to the max. The only offensive means that requires minimal investment and are still Dominating viable are grenades, so I went with them. Blast Suit wouldn't work as it's mech DR is insufficient and wearing it gets me nothing a tungsten armor suit doesn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom