Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

vazha

Arcane
longer updatans plox

Endemic

Arcane
Update 158: Chapter 9 - Breaking Bridges (part 2)

Elbert heads out first, and takes a chunk out of this archer with a spear:

DvasMVo.jpg

We quickly learn why that axeman has so much health.

zadhry6.jpg

Imperial: Run to the rearguard and tell them we need reinforcements! We'll stay here and buy time!

Courier: Yes sir!

vxct5KT.jpg

Now we have to play catch up. The broken shield has a silver lining, as the increased attack speed from less weight allows Elbert to counter this archer at 1 range:

3yaQZei.jpg

Sherlock fires his bow into the melee. The rest of my attack party advances eastward, as the guard inside the fort starts attacking the prisoners.

2AJiyif.jpg

On turn 2, Grauve has visitors:

b7nuL2N.jpg

Grauve: Just what do you think you're doing here?

Luveil: I have a request of you. Will you hear it?

Grauve: I suppose it's only natural that I should, as your former teacher, but...

Luveil: I want to leave this girl with you. She shouldn't cause any trouble to you or your men.

Grauve: Why leave her with me? Who is she?

Luveil: A servant of my family, although she's dreadful at housework. The only thing she's good for is using a bow. So I've brought her here to test out my father's new and improved bow.

MbxVqyr.jpg

Grauve: You've got to be joking. It can't be more than just another prototype, surely? Does it still whip arrows back at whoever is using it every other shot?

Luveil: That remains to be seen. But how will we know if we do not test it in a proper battle?

Grauve: Luveil... Does Count Harus know about this? Does he know you're here testing his bow?

Luveil: Of course. That much should be obvious!

Grauve: Really, now...

Luveil: It's the truth. I've spoken to all the leadership about running these tests. All you need to do is point her into a direction during the battle. Understand, General?

Grauve: Yes, yes, I understand... But, Lady Luveil... You've changed since your days at the academy. What happened to you?

Luveil: Spare me the stupid questions. Just do your job!

KyxXHcp.jpg

Grauve: Hmm... Luveil called you a servant of the House of Harus... But is that the truth?

Sophie doesn't answer.

Grauve: There's something strange going on here, isn't there? Mind telling me what it is?

Sophie: ...I'm sorry... I'm not allowed to say anything...

Grauve: I see, so they're keeping your lips sealed as well, are they? Then let me tell you one thing as a piece of advice.

r9oV6CW.jpg

Hmm... I suspect Harus is hoping to gain political power from successfully employing this prototype weapon, hence being so persistent with it. Or perhaps Grauve is right, and he's just delusional? In any case, let's see what Pascanion brings to the table:

KbS9Xsk.jpg

Very strong, although it has a 20% chance to backfire on Sophie. Her stats are otherwise unremarkable.

5T0EjJW.jpg

ZnrgvF8.jpg

Fortune and miracle will make her harder to defeat, although it's worth noting she has zero resistance to magic.

I send Reese in first to attack the courier, which turns out to be relatively ineffective. He is even disarmed by the axe on the counterattack, so no second strike.

kz7fqRj.jpg

Arthur takes out a spearman a bit further back, but his longsword subsequently breaks.

74HWVBj.jpg

Clifford and Sherlock combine to wipe out the lance knight:

9dO70Di.jpg

The Sinon Knights bring their full force to bear on this checkpoint, felling the last defending soldier.

TEdfJ8c.jpg

On turn 3, Reese falls just short of killing the courier.

mnurdXY.jpg

This leaves an opening that the nearby crossbowman exploits. Luckily, Sherlock survives the chu-ko-nu barrage, at the cost of his horse.

V4aXsiG.jpg

Welp. Now I have to do all that damage again.

PeDmw1g.jpg

Sylvis notches up another kill:

VUoR0Sb.jpg

Not the most interesting level-up.

G8GgWlB.jpg

Clifford's wind spear meets the courier, doing enough damage to guarantee vengeful is activated.

zKHRclI.jpg

A couple of estoc hits finally put him down.

JUnOf12.jpg

Izerna patches up Sherlock.

M0bzABw.jpg

As I know where Adel and Axel need to be, the marked house on the cliff must be Arthur's event. He is ordered to dismount and head there.

xuRdrvI.jpg

Everyone else moves up. We're now ready to cross the bridge on turn 4, but attacking these elite lance knights where they stand would be suicidal.

6BfA5UL.jpg

I need to lure them away from their support, without getting anyone killed in the process.

Meanwhile, Arthur comes under fire after scaling the cliff, but takes minimal damage:

5HnRgFu.jpg

Czene searches a house and finds some money (1000 denarii worth, to be exact).

4DIr7Zo.jpg

Adel visits Matthew's home to pick up the medicine ingredient.

LkNfV73.jpg

Adel: What? Um... Excuse me, but is your name Matthew?

Matthew: "Good to see you"? Yes, you too! Now, let's see...

FfY3O3K.jpg

Rippula: Lately, he's started calling anyone who visits the house "Deckard"...

Adel: I see... Putting that aside, is this the right place to buy cigusa herbs? A man from Navaron asked me to come and get some for him.

Rippula: Oh, yes! Please wait just a minute...

After a short delay, she returns.

7Akw60k.jpg

Adel: I'm a bit curious, actually... Who is Deckard?

Rippula: It's his son. My uncle Deckard. He ran away from home long before I was even born. Apparently, one day he said, "I can't just waste my life away here growing plants in a field!". That made Grandfather mad, and the two of them got in a big fight. After that, Deckard just left... And that was the last he ever saw of him.

Adel: ....I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pried like that. ...The battle is still going on outside. You two should find somewhere safe to hide.

Rippula: Right...

v6rEi2f.jpg

Next turn, I decide to have Reese and Sherpa help Arthur clear out these archers:

jyis8UR.jpg

Nice level-up for Reese here.

49qyoAG.jpg

Sylvis joins in and injures one of them.

y8Us13t.jpg

Clifford temporarily falls back for healing.

Non4ouM.jpg

It takes another turn for Reese and company to clear the high ground:

gJcTbGl.jpg

LKCjR4f.jpg

Czene searches another building, but finds someone waiting for her this time:

8jDGdj3.jpg

Equipping the blood knife eventually gave her the upper hand, as the fight dragged out. Victorious, she takes her prize.

9QqotxX.jpg

Now it's time to reposition for the next phase.

yEJMSel.jpg

The lance knights begin a charge across the bridge:

SBKHsPi.jpg

His boast matters little, as Sherlock's overwatch shot stops him cold.

uObUbfe.jpg

The next attacker has free reign however, although Clifford is able to mitigate some of the damage with his shield.

tdhMBIX.jpg

DfjDNV8.jpg

The other cavalry stack up behind Ozama and Marvell. Izerna uses physic to good effect.

qulBlKI.jpg

Elbert, Reese and Sylvis strike down Marvell:

uBIPvWg.jpg

Clifford makes his move next, but his target just about survives.

AqElyO6.jpg

I then decide to take a risk, and send Enid up front to attack with Pallas Leia.

APkS0wL.jpg

The fireball incinerates Simon, as he emits a muffled scream and "...Impossible!..." before he expires. Enid gains enough experience for level 9.

ikgS6mn.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 159: Chapter 9 - Breaking Bridges (part 3)

Time for the moment of truth:

me9CKlu.jpg

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CFVg3tgQlo

Inside the house, we see a woman cradling a crying infant.

ueTZUsX.jpg

Arthur enters.

lGzMTXF.jpg

Claudia: Oh, I see... My apologies, but he is currently away serving in the armed forces...

Arthur: I see... [noticing something on the wall] ...! That shield!

Claudia: ...Is there something strange about it?

91l6qZj.jpg

Arthur [stepping closer]: Harold is.. He is my father!

Claudia: What...?!

Arthur: ...Give him back! Give my father back to me!

Claudia's child is audibly distressed.

Claudia: There, there... Don't be afraid... Mama is here...

Arthur: That child...

Claudia: I imagined that something like this might happen someday... What is your name?

Arthur: ...It's Arthur.

Claudia: Ah, I see... So you are Arthur...

Arthur: Do you know who I am?

Claudia: Back when he was still injured and delirious, he would mutter your name over and over...

Arthur: My father was injured?

Claudia: It's a rather long story, but I can tell you the details, if you like...

Arthur: ...Thank you. I apologise for my outburst...

Claudia: No, it's all right...

ueNW3Lg.jpg

Claudia: As a priestess of Raze, I was assigned as a healer for one of the units of the Razite army. One day, I found an injured soldier lying in the area east of here. He wore the armour of the enemy, but he was severely hurt. As a sister of Raze, I couldn't simply abandon him. I decided to treat him discreetly, at least to ease his passing.

Arthur: You, a Razite priestess, saved the life of a Verian knight?

Claudia: You do not believe me? The ancient precepts of Raze teach us to soothe the pain of the dying. To my surprise, he survived, and I continued to treat him in secret until he made a full recovery. When he regained consciousness, however, he said he had forgotten nearly everything about himself...

Arthur: That can't be...

Claudia: I intended to send him back to his own country once he recovered from his amnesia, but... During the time I was treating him, we developed... a sort of bond... But about half a year later, he did remember who he was... or rather, that's when I realized he had.

Tvhy3Vi.jpg

Arthur has been silent during most of this explanation, apparently trying to mentally process these events.

Claudia: I know that what I've done to you and your family is unforgivable... I'm just a coward... I didn't have the strength or the will to let him go... If only I had realized sooner that his memories had returned, I...

:(

Arthur: Um...

diyD1Bw.jpg

Arthur: You...!

Harold: So it's you, Arthur... I'd hoped this day would never come... I will make no excuses, my son. I won't ask for your forgiveness. I've betrayed you and your mother. No matter where I go or what I do, I can't escape from myself or from what I've done.

d8fUoEh.jpg

:|

Claudia: Harold...!

Arthur: No, I seem to have made a mistake. As I suspected, my father died in battle a long time ago. Forgive me for disturbing you. Excuse me...

Harold: A-Arthur...?

i8RVuoG.jpg

Not only was that a suitably dramatic resolution to the missing father subplot, it also gives us some more insight to the Razite religion. Arthur may well be right to disown Harold, but it's hard not to feel somewhat sympathetic towards Claudia following her actions. Based on his last line before leaving, I get the impression Arthur won't be telling his mother the full extent of what happened...

Back to the battle; Sherlock takes out Ozama before he can fall back:

AtxEhMJ.jpg

With his support gone, Gardy's attack is ineffective.

8Ah7ych.jpg

He falls back across the bridge. I decide to stand ground for now, and have Sylvis overwatch for when he comes back next turn.

SGVs9Bj.jpg

Enid switches to her basic fire spell. With focus chant, it gets the job done.

WThi5qB.jpg

Elbert acts as bait for the horse archers, then Reese uses Gram to dispatch one of them.

xBfJ93W.jpg

Clifford hasn't moved yet this turn, so he takes point.

cjsWSTn.jpg

Everyone else advances onto the bridge. On the following turn, the wind spear makes short work of the second archer:

2fjuIuQ.jpg

The foot units stay out of ballista range, while Reese eliminates one with a crit.

dyIlxJY.jpg

Clifford and Elbert take care of ballista #2.

OLagulm.jpg

Sherlock uses double-shot to good effect:

wrm4nUy.jpg

Arthur joins in, getting a crit with the killing edge.

bmwhK0F.jpg

Level 11 just brings a point of shield skill.

wvgphrD.jpg

Reese talks to the spy.

1AQ3YOw.jpg

Archer: ...Are you the one who fights with ardor?

UWZVpjw.jpg

Archer: The foxes know my name as Ethan, but the earth and sky know otherwise. These words must be delivered to the Town of the Radiant Summit.

Reese: Er... Right, sure... What about you? What will you do?

Archer: This crow is called to new murders, though he calls back to thee fondly. Farewell, fiery heir to the son of Aesimus...

qpdXUtS.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

iIC602z.jpg

Sylvis repeats that feat on the next turn with an aimed shot:

8fgQBKV.jpg

Clifford distracts the gigas knight, allowing Enid to cast Pallas Leia.

3sWZxo3.jpg

Another level-up, but nothing too exciting.

8sJ5fR4.jpg

Elbert picks up the bag near the northeast wall, which contains a crafting component.

PAFS8VM.jpg

The Imperial lance knights stationed to the southwest are moving to engage us.

YWe1Lru.jpg

Clifford and Elbert start weakening the front gate.

t6BsdJE.jpg

However (perhaps erroneously), I opt to fortify the chokepoint instead of attacking the fort:

ZO1GhLo.jpg

Shortly afterwards, enemy reinforcements begin arriving.

XeOuyb0.jpg

The lead lance knight ends up just out of range, which allows Enid to walk forward and attack.

1crrmIK.jpg

That gives her enough experience for level 11.

7ury3oo.jpg

We also obtain some platinum, which is needed to craft the colichemarde.

BhY2m8p.jpg

Elbert distracts one of the horse archers:

IAg0mIT.jpg

The remaining lance knights close in.

FUq0BQ0.jpg

Meanwhile, the guard that was beating up on the engineers has run out of arrows. However, his friend has spares.

o1OUwst.jpg

Sylvis and Sherlock go on overwatch atop the cliff to prepare for the enemy cavalry. Another group of Imperial reinforcements arrives next turn.

XtRlfED.jpg

This priest has the sleep spell, so eliminating him before he gets in range will be important.

MdYcQL5.jpg

Sherlock hits one of the advancing horse archers, but the latter has a +1 bow and can retaliate:

geU3O0B.jpg

Elbert dodges a hit-and-run attack, then saddles up to cut down the adjacent enemy with his estoc.

ANh4gk9.jpg

No surprises for reaching level 15.

gSQJ1WG.jpg

Sylvis stops the next archer in his tracks, and Sherlock cuts him down.

ralio7H.jpg

oX5RMcb.jpg

Extra hp from this level.

3Nufs9z.jpg

The remaining Imperial cavalry advances, and Reese meets one of them:

iSrxXFS.jpg

A decent level-up.

kvSnjHK.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 160: Chapter 9 - Breaking Bridges (part 4)

Thanks to some proficient timing with overwatch, Sherlock and Sylvis are able to stop the Imperial cavalry in their tracks:

RrVDNmH.jpg

RCBu9cT.jpg

Now they're open to attack.

Jku7Nai.jpg

Czene has a try at injuring the lance knight with the bolt knife, but when that fails, Reese takes care of him.

NJVjwUE.jpg

itCVU4A.jpg

Another casualty of Pallas Leia's fireball.

WzwNReB.jpg

Elbert rides forth with his estoc to take out the archer.

Dfyhssx.jpg

Clifford and Arthur move out to engage the armour knights, continuing the attack on the following turn:

AhgD1J6.jpg

Since she's running low on Pallas Leia uses, Enid switches back to her regular fire spell.

iWIYf8n.jpg

The second armour knight manages to block most of the physical damage I can inflict, so our lady mage is called back into action next turn.

tB0yBpT.jpg

Nice, more magic.

1Yli57b.jpg

Reese employs Gram to cut down the priest:

Q37quaB.jpg

2QVPhL3.jpg

Now to rush back to the fort, as the engineers won't last too much longer.

Sh0gWN1.jpg

Axel heads over to appropriate the loot from Doros.

aA2SuBN.jpg

Axel: Sorry about this, Doros... I've got no interest in the treasure myself... But I need it. I can't let you have it.

Doros: Don't screw with me, Axel! The treasure's mine!

vBAmaZU.jpg

Axel: ...Now that's taken care of, I can go back and end this...

g2XBMz8.jpg

Sherlock picks up some repairstone from Sylvis to fix Rossweisse:

wGjd4ul.jpg

You can repair items without equipping them, so it's possible for other units to take and use them on the same turn.

ZNXpwZt.jpg

Sylvis then takes it back on her turn, to attack the raze priest using her deadeye skill. The first shot misses, but the priest also misses his counterattack, allowing for a second shot (courtesy of Sylvis's attack speed) which lands on target.

ZYVl8HG.jpg

Level 15 brings a modest stat increase.

XUIPNui.jpg

The Sinon Knights advance to the front gate, cutting down the drawbridge sniper.

jARPe7n.jpg

Another level-up.

7JDP4NY.jpg

Shortly afterwards, the gate is broken.

5iJHqLQ.jpg

Sophie: I will buy you time, General! Please get as many of your men out of the fort as possible!

Sophie heads out on horseback to guard the courtyard area, positioning herself in a clump of trees. She's a lot harder to hit now:

UymqEaN.jpg

Sherlock's double shot makes short work of a crossbowman.

0Z4srQn.jpg

He also uses one-two to soften up the next one, allowing Sherpa to get the kill.

qe5HT3q.jpg

Clifford charges at Sophie with the wind spear.

zX6FpId.jpg

Thanks to the extra protection from Pascanion, she survives the hit. The melee intensifies, but Reese makes it through to defeat her.

sY5IdyL.jpg

Spearman: Lord Reese, we've caught a young woman serving in the Imperial Army. What should we do with her?

yQ8Lm86.jpg

Spearman: Yes, Lord Reese!

Near the gate, Sylvis's bow gives out after one more shot.

pG5Eusp.jpg

Arthur moves to clear one of the Imperial spearmen:

2Jp4qET.jpg

Clifford switches to his killer spear and backtracks to eliminate the knight.

IYxsf9z.jpg

He's been sitting at 99 xp for a while, and this enemy was high enough level for him to gain that last point.

YawD7WE.jpg

Elbert takes care of the last soldier at the gate.

FmIyx17.jpg

Sherpa leads the column.

BSP49RT.jpg

The last spearman charges at him, inflicting some damage - Izerna uses physic to heal him.

Hzkh18y.jpg

Sherlock's arrow removes the threat.

mJ3Cbcl.jpg

Next turn, Sherpa uses his brymranger to quickly weaken the next gate. It is soon forced open.

xpF9qRf.jpg

Grauve: Guardsman! Get the prisoners out of here. They're valuable hostages, so make sure no harm comes to them.

Guard: (Like hell I will!)

MANX1Hw.jpg

I've already taken too long to get here, so it looks like the best tactics rating is out of reach.

Elbert and Reese swiftly eliminate the archer next to Grauve:

hViU3x1.jpg

Unfortunately two of the engineer NPCs are already dead by this point. Grauve decides to aim his spear at Reese.

P6n9xoY.jpg

Grauve: You will never take it from me whilst I still draw breath!

Neither party manages to connect their weapon swings.

Sherpa kills this spearman, revealing a chest in the side room.

eiF7maU.jpg

Arthur keeps Grauve busy, while Reese strikes down the guard that was killing the engineers. Gram gives him a crit on the second strike.

SP8pwKs.jpg

Elbert distracts Grauve:

o2z0nxl.jpg

Thus giving Czene space to open the chest. Turns out there's a lot of gold stashed in it.

kXsUxY6.jpg

Reese gets the engineers out of the fort.

iCW2K3n.jpg

Head Engineer: ...All right, I understand. Let's get to work, boys! Follow me!

Engineer: Yes sir!

A short time later...

nDxfLTt.jpg

The group of engineers begins undermining the bridge supports. It isn't long before it collapses, and everyone withdraws to Navaron.

BuVTpbB.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 161: Chapter 9 - Breaking Bridges (ending)

kB5KWW1.jpg

(This dialogue changes depending on the number of engineer NPCs that survive the mission.)

Roswick: All things considered, everything seems to have gone splendidly. The Imperial Army will have no choice but to halt their invasion until they can repair the bridge.

Reese: How long do you believe it will take them to repair it?

Roswick: For the Empire? Hm... I imagine they will have it rebuilt within a month's time.

Reese: Just one month...

SzZMj0p.jpg

Roswick: Have you heard no news about it?

Reese: I have not. Has the situation changed?

Roswick: Yes, it has...

His sentence trails off, as though he was hesitant to reveal details.

Reese: ...Duke Roswick...?

Roswick: I fear I have some dreadful news I must tell you.

zSk0BeI.jpg

Roswick: I have yet to hear the full details, but I was told that he was slain in battle whilst attempting to recapture Berion. Although he and the soldiers of the Western Front fought bravely, they were utterly wiped out.

Reese can only look on in stunned silence at this news.

Roswick: I am sorry... I know it would be only natural for you to return to Sinon to reclaim your father's honour, but... I also know that His Majesty would never allow it...

Reese: I thank you for your sympathy... But I...

h09h6bb.jpg

Roswick: Have you no sense at all, Vanmilion?! Lord Reese and I are talking! Get out this instant!

Vanmilion: Y-Yes... My apologies, Father...

Reese: ...Actually, Your Grace... I think I would like to be alone for a while... Excuse me...

Vanmilion briefly looks back at Reese as the latter leaves the room.

AlK4t3g.jpg

Roswick: I never would have imagined that this would happen... Lord Reese... ...What could I even say to you at a time such as this?

mlrYRU6.jpg

After a short while, Ward arrives and walks up to Reese.

LACPbVg.jpg

Ward: Duke Roswick told me the news... Milord, if your desire is to return to Sinon, I and the other knights would happily accompany you.

Reese: If I could return, I would like to... I worry for the people of Sinon... and for Lynette's sake most of all...

Ward: You have fulfilled your duties here with loyalty and diligence. If you wish to return home, there would be no shame in doing so. We will follow wherever your heart commands us, Lord Reese. Please, just give the word...

Reese: ...No. I can't do that.

yT4PvGM.jpg

Reese: Before I left Sinon, I made a vow to Father...

lJuHUtk.jpg

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r8asBC0n-I

7DwZzq3.jpg

HNa2yeL.jpg

Bernstol: You are to go to His Majesty, King Volcens, and serve him on my behalf. You will obey his orders and serve him loyally no matter what should occur, even unto the bitter end. If you act selfishly in your own interests, you will forever stain the name of the House of Sinon.

Reese: I understand, Father...

Bernstol: Even if I should die and our home be utterly destroyed, you must go on. You must fulfill your duties until the very end. If you cannot do this, then I cannot trust you to go in my stead. ...Will you give me your word, Reese? Will you vow to remain loyal to His Majesty, no matter what happens?

Reese: Yes, I give you my word, Father! I will never do anything to bring dishonour upon you!

Bernstol: Very well! Then there is nothing more that needs to be said. The time for parting has come.

GAVFPSR.jpg

twm9OoY.jpg

Reese: ...But ever since I made that promise, my choice was already decided.

Ward: Milord...

vHIE7L5.jpg

Upon returning to the office, Tianna has news:

QH7iMiS.jpg

They're from Lynette, of course.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLM0LGjIoZo

J4O8sAg.jpg

yg2I4oK.jpg

3cSWKTP.jpg

mLOA2ME.jpg

RmQtnSp.jpg

pDzFV1B.jpg

I'll end this update here and leave the floor open for audience reaction. Plot\story discussion to follow.

Last edited:

Thorakitai

Learned
That promise may seem like a good idea at the time but I don't think Bernstol expected King Volcens to fuck up that badly regarding Bernard.

tumblr_inline_ot7wp8X6WW1ts4ooe_1280.png

Let's summarize the Berwick League's situation now and here's a political map made by the translator of the english patch to visualize the situation.

The Berwick League has lost the Kingdom of Veria, The Dutchies of Highland and the Lowland, Bornia turns traitor and now Serenia falls to the Raze Empire and is poised to capture Sinon. That's not counting on the massive loss of manpower from defeat after defeat. All while the Raze Empire still has more reserves to spare from both it's own troops and it's allies.

All that remains of the Berwick League now is the Duchy of Narvia and the only reason the Empire doesn't just go for the throat is due to Reese's successfully (with difficulty) giving the League more time.

Endemic

Arcane
That promise may seem like a good idea at the time but I don't think Bernstol expected King Volcens to fuck up that badly regarding Bernard.

Or maybe that was just one factor among several, like Zephyrus being better at realpolitik and Bernstol's subsequent choice of action per the chapter 8 intro scene. Keep in mind the League already suffered horrendous losses during 616-617, and multiple high-ranking leaders died (Louvet, Marius, and Mordias himself) in a short space of time. Reese's tactical victories aren't changing the strategic picture all that much - as Roswick said, destroying the bridge only bought them perhaps a month.

I'll be back with specific plot discussion in the next update :)

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arthur's story is like heavy.

Archer: This crow is called to new murders
In that case, is the murder the group of crows or the act? :lol:

Farewell, fiery heir to the son of Aesimus...

wikipedia said:
Autolycus was the father of Anticlea (who married Laertes of Ithaca and was the mother of Odysseus) and several sons, of whom only Aesimus, father of Sinon was named.

More Greek mythology!

But yeah, the league can't seem to catch a break. And I hadn't seen Bernstol's death coming. Though I don't see why Reese bother hiding it from the knights, it'd come out eventually.

Endemic

Arcane
Arthur's story is like heavy

Yeah, I think that's one of the game's best scenes. Considering this is primarily a strategy\tactics game, and there are only 4 writers listed in the credits, they did a great job.

In that case, is the murder the group of crows or the act? :lol:

Metaphorical, as in more cloak-and-dagger activities.

More Greek mythology!

From a quick glance at the dialogue files, the original conversation with the spy is more mundane (eg Reese is greeted with "Ah, you must be the heir to Sinon"), Aethin added the poetic flavour to it in his translation.

But yeah, the league can't seem to catch a break. And I hadn't seen Bernstol's death coming. Though I don't see why Reese bother hiding it from the knights, it'd come out eventually.

That's true, but I presume he doesn't want to hurt morale in the meantime. I think the flashback scene sums up Bernstol well, he would fight to the bitter end rather than surrender\negotiate or flee.

Without spoiling too much, the question of whether staying loyal to Volcens is a justifiable path does come up again later.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 162: Chapter 9 - Breaking Bridges (ending, part 2)

Recap

We're in spring of Verian year 619 (a villager in Christine's mission last chapter indicated the spring harvest was imminent), and the situation has gone from bad to worse. The Western Front has all but collapsed, and the Sinon Knights' destruction of the bridge at Remagen bought only a little more time for the East. Bornia is still split between Imperial aligned troops and Vester's rebellion.

The Imperials have successively subverted (indirectly or otherwise) the Berwick League's political and military leadership time and time again over the last few years. King Hamill of Pesil defected; Marius of Riana was betrayed and killed in a coup; the same happened to Duke Louvet in Serenia along with almost all of his family. Cardinal Almachus wormed his way into Duke Reed's office in Bornia, and General Zephyrus along with his agents systematically undermined the League's commanders in the west, luring Bernstol into a trap.

Now we have the prospect of Lynette trying to rally what's left of the local garrison to protect Sinon - and her letter is written like a person who knows their death is imminent. Despite this, Reese puts his personal feelings aside and continues to follow orders in Narvia.

The Shining Rebellion

At the time I LP'd chapter 3, the translation patch was still in progress. Some background information discussed in Shouzou Kaga's development notes on his blog proved enlightening to Aethin, and he opted to add this detail into Paramythis's conversation with Orbel in The Three Priests. We know that Mordias purged the Shining Knights, but in the Japanese script his motivation for this act wasn't discussed.

The current version:

Music: https://youtu.be/zvlmoNjNFp4?t=77

ALXirHI.jpg

Orbel: What terrible days those were, fifteen years ago... Just as the civil war was drawing to

CDu7fCV.jpg

Paramythis: Mordias was forced to decide between silencing the Knights, or admitting his guilt. Back then, I was still only a page, but Father Lebough took me into his care and saved me from the purges.

We can then infer the late King Mordias intended to use Apostle Silpha Bronte's death as a casus belli for invading the Empire. He managed to eliminate everyone who discovered the truth except Paramythis (also the reason for her using that alias; her real name is unknown). It seems the Church had been discredited enough at this point that the word of a teenage apprentice would not sway anyone; either that or Lebough was preoccupied with keeping Sanacia and Paramythis hidden.

Another possible motive is related to the civil war within the League that lasted from 597 to 604 ("The Seven Years of Blood", as it became known). Silpha divined that Leia's Prince Arless had nothing to do with King Harmell VII of Veria's assassination. There are still some gaps in this history that have yet to be revealed, though.

Navaron, 619

iWTS5FZ.jpg

mzV8w2i.jpg

Pretty nice boost to Reese's survivability. Onto the citizen requests:

Uubyrrs.jpg

iV1Aojk.jpg

Brighton: It should give us valuable information for the difficult battles ahead of us. With any luck, we might be able to gain the upper hand in this war.

Reese: I pray you are right. We need all the help we can get, if we want to turn things around.

Brighton: By the way, as a reward for your hard work, here is a bonus for you to use toward your expenditures.

Reese: I am most grateful, General.

e2pIFJA.jpg

5UUokfW.jpg

Over to the atelier next:

eYVOACx.jpg

Adel: Will this amount be sufficient?

Virgil: Yes, it certainly will! Thank you so very much! Now I can get to making this into medicine...

Lumiere: Thank goodness you were able to get it in time...

SIDJWER.jpg

Adel: But he was clearly having some troubles in his old age. For one thing, he kept mistaking me for his son... Also, it looked like his granddaughter was taking care of the farm now.

Lumiere: I see... I suppose that must mean that Deckard's still missing...

Virgil: What was that...? Did you say Deckard...?

Adel: What's wrong?

Virgil: Miss Lumiere, who are you talking about?

Lumiere: Mr. Matthew's son, Deckard... He left home many years ago, and he never went back. Do you know someone by that name?

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEn9eevjWoQ

Virgil: Yeah... It was my dad's name...

Adel: What...?

Lumiere: And? Tell us more, Mr. Virgil.

Virgil: ...A long time ago, my father used to be a military commander.

ufnOhtj.jpg

Virgil: When he was on his deathbed, he said to me, "Son, promise me you'll never become a soldier. You should be an apothecary like your grandfather..." And so that's what I did... That's why I'm in this profession...

Lumiere seems to be surprised by his story, but says nothing in response.

Virgil: ...Thank you for your help, Sir Adel. I'll make the medicine as fast as I can, and then I'll bring it to that village in need.

He takes a small bottle from his pocket.

Virgil: Here, this is a tincture used as a base for many potions. I was considering selling it, but then I thought you or one of the other knights might find it useful. And I have to thank you somehow. Please, take it.

bixrKUZ.jpg

Guess the old man was right after all... Deckard was better off staying on the farm.

Incidentally, at the time of Berwick Saga's development, Soma (also known as Carisoprodol) was a semi-common medicinal drug. Some countries have since banned it due to potential addiction issues, although it continues to be prescribed in the US. Anyway, it's a nice little detail.

Later that night...

i6gz7U1.jpg

He turns around.

Lumiere: I'm sorry for disturbing you... I asked Sir Leon where I might find you, and he told me you would definitely be here...

Adel: Oh, I see... ...Have you heard anything from Virgil about his medicine?

Lumiere: Yes, he said that he safely delivered the medicine in time.

Adel: He saved a lot of peoples' lives... He's an incredible man. ...I suppose we've gone off-topic. Do you need me for something?

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mql0aH4iBVY

Lumiere: Well... I want to apologize.

Adel: Apologize? What for?

Lumiere: When I sent word to the Sinon Knights for Mr. Virgil's request... and when you came, I was worried that since I had asked it of you, you would refuse...

pX10Bp1.jpg

Lumiere: Sir Adel... There's something I've wanted to ask you for a while now...

Adel: Yes?

Lumiere: Have I... made you hate me?

Adel: ...Huh? Sorry, you completely lost me. Why would I hate you?

Lumiere: Um... Back then, it was the second time we'd ever properly spoken... I couldn't accept your key... I didn't know how I could... But I truly was happy. Just knowing that you had feelings for me, my heart was nearly bursting from my chest... because... for a long time now, since you've been in this city, I've...

nbrL8Ou.jpg

Lumiere: ...But after what happened, I couldn't find the words to speak to you... ...Oh, why am I saying any of this? You must despise me so...

Adel steps back, unsure how to respond to Lumiere's confession.

Lumiere: Sir Adel!

Adel: Sorry... I'm feeling a bit light-headed... I'm not used to this kind of thing... What should I say...? Well, maybe now's a good time as any to try one of Leon's lines again... Say, Lumiere... would you like to hold on to my key from now on?

Lumiere: I'm sorry, Sir Adel... Your room key, I can't accept. But...

Adel: But...?

N5h6aMv.jpg

Adel: Lumiere...!

auKOr3V.jpg

Leon: Looks like you've got better charm than I do...

t0e0eJz.jpg

That was kind of cheesy I guess, but the humour in this subplot translated surprisingly well... especially considering misunderstandings in the Japanese language are inherently different to English. We don't have three alphabets and the sheer number of kanji, after all. That said, there is a degree of catharsis in seeing nice guy Adel get the girl despite Leon's silly advice, after the buildup to this point.

Time to hand in the spears now:

dR9Fc5i.jpg

Hbbxr8t.jpg

There is an alternate conversation if you don't hand over any spears (more extensive than for the chapter 4 shield request), but I'm here for the reward, so...

zTW6E82.jpg

Tianna: I have come to deliver the spears that Lord Reese obtained for your request.

Danton: You brought them here for us? I'm touched, Lady Tianna! Thank you!

Tianna: You're quite welcome. It was no trouble at all.

B4K1mr7.jpg

Danton: Sorry for askin' you and Lord Reese to help us with our jobs.

Tianna: That's quite all right. It is as General Ward said to me: Soldiers entrust their lives to their equipment on the battlefield, so it is only natural that they should want to help the craftsmen who make it.

Danton: General Ward said that, did he? I always knew I liked him. Well, here's your money for the spears you brought us.

Tianna: Thank you very much.

8rIxjAx.jpg

Jhju1F0.jpg

Let's see what Axel does with the treasure.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvlmoNjNFp4

7IHY6JU.jpg

Axel: I don't want any of it. Just take it and go.

Gibry: You're a funny guy, Axel... I just don't get how you think. When did you grow a conscience? Was it because of that little girl? Doesn't really matter, I guess. Now that I've got the treasure, I don't have to care about you anymore. Goodbye, Axel.

As he turns to leave, Gibry receives a nasty surprise:

VSgDw55.jpg

Gibry: Gaaaah! [turning back around slowly, limping in pain] A-Axel... You bastard...!

Axel: ...Doros said the same thing. I don't care about the treasure. But I can't let you live, either.

SN8jrgx.jpg

Gibry [still laughing, as though unhinged]: It's you, Axel! Looking... at your face right now... You know what I see? It's the same look... you had in your eyes... all those years ago...

Axel is momentarily taken aback, but continues to brandish his axe.

Gibry: I knew you hadn't changed... You really are one of us... And you'll end up in the same filthy pit in hell as the rest of us...

Axel: ...I know. Go on ahead and save a place for me, will you?

1igS1VR.jpg

The next strike is lethal. The scene fades, Axel presumably dumping Gibry's body in the water.

VodeNnI.jpg

Later that night...

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ct3nXSIwNA

HkaiNnO.jpg

Axel: I... I can't see her anymore. I have no right. ...No, even this money is wrong. It's proof that I'm a murderer. Ciel wouldn't want to be healed thanks to this blood money... But still... Still, I...

Q30FuuM.jpg

Axel: But I can't be a part of that. I don't want to let that innocent girl know how ugly this world can be...

Luciana looks on in silence.

Axel: ...I'm a thief and a murderer. Like Gibry said, there's already a place waiting for me in hell.

Luciana: Mr. Axel... Where will you go? What will you do?

Axel: I'll do what I'm good at. I'll keep fighting against the rest of the damned like myself... That's the only good that someone like me can do anymore...

Luciana: ...I don't believe you're an evil person, Mr. Axel. The tears on your face are proof of that. Those tears are what will truly heal Miss Ciel...

Axel: Hah... Sister Luciana, you should have been a poet. ...Take care of her.

88aJ7Qu.jpg

The next day...

zwicUeF.jpg

Axel: Thought it might be good to come work directly for you instead. You wouldn't have to pay my fees anymore, either. It's a good deal for you too, right?

Reese: True, I don't have any particular reason to refuse your request...

Axel: Sounds like it's settled, then! Glad to have the chance to come on board, Cap'n Reese! Ha ha ha...

g3fcN92.jpg

You might wonder why Axel feels any guilt about killing thieves, one of whom had no problem raising a weapon against him. I think it's more about him trying to leave his past of piracy behind and raising Ciel (a blind orphan) as a kind of redemption. He's desperate to shield her from the truths of the world, which is arguably much more of a character flaw than the ruthlessness displayed here.

Next time, we'll be catching up with Arthur, Esteban and the ever-eccentric Erzheimer. :)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Incidentally, at the time of Berwick Saga's development, Soma (also known as Carisoprodol) was a semi-common medicinal drug. Some countries have since banned it due to potential addiction issues, although it continues to be prescribed in the US. Anyway, it's a nice little detail.

Strangely enough, it's also the name of the drug in Brave New World.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 163: Chapter 9 - Breaking Bridges (ending, part 3)

There are a few more story scenes to wrap up here.

kZ9bR9G.jpg

First, let's pay Erzheimer a visit:

BPA5BES.jpg

pMQERX4.jpg

Very nice.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLejZY-36w

fwk20dF.jpg

Erzheimer: It's all thanks to you, Sir Ward! As a personal show of thanks, let me show you one of my treasures... Clara, if you would, please.

Clara: Yes, Master.

Ward: You really don't need to...

Erzheimer: No need to hold back, Sir Ward! Come, come, come!

Ward: ...(I suppose there's no stopping him once he gets like this...)

lNnSBmI.jpg

Erzheimer: It may perhaps be the greatest work in my entire collection! It must be kept clean of fingerprints, so please do not touch. Aside from Clara, you are the first I have ever shown it to, Sir Ward. What do you think?

Ward: Well... (For the life of me, I simply cannot understand this kind of art...) This statue, well... It seems to remind me somewhat of my own daughter...

Erzheimer: Remarkable!

Ward: ...It is?

Erzheimer: Yes, Sir Ward! Truly remarkable! For you see, Sergei crafted this work with his own daughter as the model... and it is said that his wife was a woman of Sinon!

2wW9y17.jpg

The implication here is that Christine and her mother are genetically connected to the artist Sergei. Or at least, the resemblance is strong enough in Ward's eyes to suggest so.

Erzheimer: Oh, what a joy it is to have found a companion who understands me! Ah, I have a wonderful idea! I'll show you that one next...!

lMGCLZr.jpg

Ward: Hm?

Clara: I apologise for all this... My master can be quite-- Oh, drat, here he comes...

Erzheimer [calling from another room]: Clara! Come here, Clara!

Clara: Ah! Yes, Master! I am coming!

9ADy7bu.jpg

You'll see a few of these story moments with Erzheimer, assuming you give him all of the items he's looking for. There is also an extra reward for completing his collection, which I'll talk about later on.

Arthur discusses what he found at Omrle...

YPh6Y0U.jpg

Sabrina: Was it him? Was it Harold?

Arthur: ...No, he wasn't. He looked similar, but he was a completely different person.

Sabrina: Oh, I see... So he's still missing...

Arthur: No, Mother... Please listen to me.

Sabrina: Arthur...?

BYkqFaW.jpg

:(

Although it's understandable why he's chosen to lie. Can you imagine being told here that your husband is literally sleeping with the enemy, even siring a child with a Raze priestess? Perhaps another way to view this, is of Arthur trying to preserve Sabrina's memory of Harold as a noble soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice...

Arthur: I heard it from a firsthand witness. He died in the battle of Randenberg nearly three years ago.

He steps closer, as Sabrina turns to look at the family portrait on the wall.

Sabrina: I'd expected it for a long time, but... Arthur, are you certain...?

Arthur: I'm afraid so... But I will do all I can to live up to his legacy.

LRnhMvV.jpg

On the other hand, is it his right to deceive her about what really happened? Would it really be desirable for them to keep living a lie like this?

Back at the office, Esteban has something to say.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWrOHoQVVU

Oo8QWun.jpg

Esteban: She wasn't captured; she surrendered of her own will! Surely that's got to count for something, doesn't it? We can't treat her like this!

Incidentally, it is actually possible to have Esteban persuade her to lay down her weapon, if you bring him to the fort.

Ward: Don't be absurd, Esteban! We know nothing about this girl. For all we know, she could be an assassin hired to kill Lord Reese. As for you, petulant boy, you had better learn to mind your manners in front of your superior! We hire proper soldiers here, not mad barking dogs!

Esteban: You... You can't talk to me like that! I am not a dog!

Ward: Is that all you have to say? I will waste no more of my time trying to reason with you.

8412bBr.jpg

Esteban: You people don't give a damn about me, or her, or anyone! So good riddance!

He storms off, as Ward looks on in silence.

Meanwhile, in the castle dungeon...

c565A6t.jpg

Defender: Gaaah--!

Sophie: ...?

FgstE4t.jpg

Esteban: This should open the lock...

Sophie: B-But why...? If you do this, then you'll be...

Esteban: Would you rather get sent to a prisoner-of-war camp?

They make their escape, striking up a conversation along the way:

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7Gg2av9I8

Hyoq8eN.jpg

Sophie: Grandfather was so kind to me and my sister... Those were happy times. But he, too, died soon after that, and I was adopted by my father's younger brother, Count Harus.

Esteban: And that's when this stepsister of yours... Luveil, was it? She started beating you... What a horrible woman... Couldn't your uncle do anything?

Sophie: My uncle is... difficult... But Luveil... ...she's not a bad person. It was my fault... I was always doing something to bother her...

Esteban: You're wrong, Sophie. That's not how siblings are supposed to treat each other! She was jealous of you. I bet she thought you were trying to steal her father away from her. It's not too late, Sophie.

7WABEKA.jpg

Esteban: Well, I... How do I say this... ...I got fired from my job as a mercenary. So I thought.... why not just leave? We can go somewhere far away from here, where there's no war...

Sophie: B-But what about you? What about Arina?

Esteban: Yeah, you're right... It was a stupid idea, forget it... Wait, how do you know my sister?

Sophie: Sister...?

:lol: I guess he forgot to clarify that part...

Just at that moment, the city guard catches up to Esteban.

Defender: There they are! After them!

Va8NASu.jpg

Esteban: Go, Sophie!

Sophie: But what about you?!

Esteban: I'll be fine! Just hurry! If you died here, then Luveil would just get what she wants! Don't let her win! ...What are you waiting for, Sophie?! Go!

Sophie: Esteban...

She hesitates briefly, but flees when she sees the soldiers approach.

XGSiLIh.jpg

kOtr43j.jpg

Defender: You'll pay for what you've done. Don't think you'll be getting out of this in one piece, scum.

The next day...

H3xIicx.jpg

Padolf: As I'm sure you are aware, assisting in escape of prisoners of war is treason.

Reese: I can't possibly fathom why Esteban would have done such a thing. Still, he is a member of my army. I should be the one to take care of his sentencing and punishment.

Padolf: Oho... So he was your subordinate? How appalling... This kind of behaviour from your soldiers does not reflect well upon you, Lord Reese. You too must take responsibility for what this Esteban has done.

Reese: ...As Minister of Security, you have been granted authority over all the the royal guards by His Majesty, King Volcens, yes?

Padolf: That goes without saying.

Reese: Then your words are the same as His Majesty's in this case...

P46iAxX.jpg

Reese: Nothing at all, Minister. However, if I am punished, then that could cause great trouble for one particular individual...

Padolf: And who might that be?

Reese: Yourself, Minister Padolf.

Padolf: What?!

Reese: While you were occupying your guards with pointless lectures, a prisoner was snatched from right under your nose. ...That fact could hardly reflect well on your competency as Minister of Security, could it?

Padolf: ...Urgh...

Reese: If the matter went public, I can only imagine the disappointment that His Majesty would have in you...

HFS553G.jpg

:) There's something uniquely entertaining about Reese going full passive-aggressive here with Padolf and managing to succeed in intimidating him. I imagine Reese must be feeling pretty smug about turning the tables for once.

Later, at the Sinon Knights' HQ:

kCtbvpV.jpg

Esteban: Huh...? ...Well, it's because I'm no good... I'm a poor soldier...

Reese: You're wrong. It's because he recognizes your skill with a bow.

Esteban: What? That can't be right...

Reese: He is a seasoned veteran. If he says you have talent, then it can be only be the truth. Even so, Esteban, we are not a large army. No matter how strong any one of us may be, we cannot survive if we do not follow the chain of command.

A truism for real life medieval warfare, and in Berwick Saga too.

Reese: That's why, before going to fight with the enemy, Ward must first contend with his allies as their commander... Because he knows that only by uniting them under his command, can all of them live to fight another day.

Esteban: (But I am alone... No one here cares about me...)

pJXZFtk.jpg

Reese: But on the battlefield, when we must entrust our lives to our allies, can we truly afford to be alone? ...This is all happening a bit earlier than Ward would have liked, but... with Minister Padolf breathing down our necks, I need to take action. So, today, we will be welcoming a new member of the Knights of Sinon.

4nPLhoU.jpg

Reese: That's correct, Esteban. And even if you don't feel any personal loyalty towards me... I still want you to try to get to know and understand General Ward.

Esteban: ...Yes, sir...

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 164: Chapter 9-1 - The Supply Base (part 1)

There are three side missions available; I'll go after the supply base first.

9lpB7OZ.jpg

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t7pWzxrgKs

Reese is invited to watch some ballisticians training; Klamp is also here, looking on nervously.

dvEG9hm.jpg

Corona: Wind speed is nominal... All right, get ready men! Fire!

E7b7lWv.jpg

Later, Reese joins General Corona at his command post:

J0f3LxQ.jpg

Corona: I'm honoured, sir, but to tell you the truth, it requires all my efforts just to keep the front line from falling apart... So, what did you think of our little exercise just now?

Reese: Well...

Corona: Please, speak freely. Give me your honest opinion. In what area do you think my army is most lacking?

Reese: Quality equipment, perhaps?

Corona: Exactly, Lord Reese! That's precisely the case! It's only natural that we've fallen behind the Empire in the development of artillery. The Imperial Army has conscripted entire corps of engineers specifically for designing and testing prototypes...

zrNymBh.jpg

Reese: Wouldn't it be better to focus on outmaneuvering the enemy with what we already have?

Corona [briefly chuckling]: Lord Reese, you are young... Ah, but I mean no offence. We need optimism like yours in these difficult times. True, you can certainly overcome weakness with such skill... The Knights of Sinon are experts in the art of mounted combat. It would be no issue for you. My soldiers, however, are no warriors. They are farmers, cooks, and potters... Young boys scared for their lives. For my troops, such a feat is simply not possible.

On a side note, Corona (besides other meanings) is Italian for "crown", and was reportedly a semi-common noble name in the medieval era in that region. His attitude towards his soldiers is rather contrasting to that of General Rossechar last chapter. Once again, we see that Reese's actions are mere firefighting in the grand scheme of things; he is but one pawn of many on the chessboard.

Reese: I see... Then what will you do, General?

Corona: ...That is why I asked you to meet with me in secret like this. If we can't keep pace with the Empire, then our next best bet is... sabotage. Lately, we've been hearing reports of the Imperials importing large shipments of lumber to one of their bases. I worry what machinations may be in the works inside that base... I can only imagine one thing they would want so much wood for.

VppXulu.jpg

Corona: The materials they've stockpiled would easily be enough to construct at least twenty ballistae. What's more, I don't think the Empire will be waiting much longer before they deploy them. Our scouts have reported large objects covered in dark cloth inside the base. These objects were later wheeled away to Goddess knows where. I presume they're some sort of prototype weaponry... Lord Reese, I need you to go there and capture that base.

Reese offers no comment.

Corona: I'm well aware that what I am asking of you is difficult. ...But I believe your Sinon Knights are the only ones who can successfully pull off this mission. ...If the enemy manages to complete their new weapons... the entire Eastern Front may collapse, just as the West has.

Reese: ...I understand. We'll try to get there before the enemy finishes building them.

fKARQJz.jpg

Ten deployment slots indicates this is a bit tougher than the usual side mission.

rmZdY6S.jpg

Our last battle was quite fruitful in terms of loot and rewards:

1vd8y2q.jpg

Preparations

Before I start preparations, I'll drop off some items at the atelier.

ESPgqlz.jpg

This will be a good opportunity to train units, as with most of the other side missions. To that end, I hire Faye (650), Kramer (875), Perceval (480) and Volo (1300). Aegina, Izerna, Elbert, Sherlock, Christine and Larentia round out the rest of the team.

Sherlock gets a new horse to replace the one that died during the last battle:

E0NSlSl.jpg

I've got funds to spare, so Percy gets a thunder orb, Aegina gets airblade, and Elbert receives a shortsword plus two leather medium shields.

Battle party

6RUBAmL.jpg

Elbert's mainly coming along to use provoke and act as bait, so others can get alpha strikes in unimpeded. The leather shields are a cheap way to allow him to work on Mshield skill in the process.

WwfhiSy.jpg

Sherlock needs 3 more levels for promotion; chances are I'll have to take him on another mission after this to accomplish that.

h69iDyj.jpg

Izerna is the ever-reliable healer, and getting closer to her light skill cap of 50. She does of course have unique utility as the only cleric able to use the rehabilitate spell.

DSrYisE.jpg

Volo is here for sword skill training, since accuracy increases will be that much better in conjunction with adept and deathmatch.

XmVJfNJ.jpg

Kramer's progressing quite well, with one more level being required for his personal mission. Although he's short on happiness points, as I haven't deployed him much in the campaign so far.

sAri4Uz.jpg

Faye is still 3 levels short of where she needs to be, but I'll be benching her after this mission. This is because the happiness requirement for her personal mission drops significantly at the end of chapter 11.

zjwt6ZY.jpg

Percy's 2-range thunder magic comes in handy, but mediocre accuracy remains a problem, compounded by low skill growth rate. Hopefully I can mitigate that to some extent here.

ysP6XY4.jpg

Christine's looking decent so far, only 5 points of bow skill and 5 levels till promotion. She's equipped with all the spare low-end bows I've acquired, to focus on the former attribute.

8fTtR3K.jpg

Much like with Christine, Larentia will be working on her secondary weapon skill, in this case swords. Her primary stats are pretty good for level 10, though.

w2ILTF2.jpg

Aegina has a reputation as the hardest character to promote, due to how equipment skill works with multiplied attacks, combined with a relatively low wind skill growth. I'm not looking to give her too many levels, but even a few extra skill points would go a long way to making Pallas Riana more effective.

Moving on to the battle itself:

XUFY8aX.jpg

The Imperial base is ringed by a palisade fence, with two roads leading to each flank. Our starting position is in the southwest, next to some small forests. There is a house with an event nearby.

To the east, there are cliffs and some trees blocking easy access from this side. Numerous small buildings dot the camp on the high ground.

qVL7sWf.jpg

To the north, we can see the rest of the base, with the enemy commander next to the stone fort at the top. Spearmen and archers are scattered around, in addition to the light cavalry near the fort.

Di7ik6I.jpg

Another house is in the northwestern forest, and the cliff continues just behind the palisades on the western side of the base.

NUu22wt.jpg

Gorzevalus is reasonably tough:

u5TJKxP.jpg

jvXD1nR.jpg

His accompanying cavalry units have vantage and decent speed as well.

I rearrange starting positions and begin the mission.

vPspX6u.jpg

Gorzevalus: Prepare to launch our counter-offensive!

Associate: Sir, we've only just finished working on the defensive wall, and it'll take to get everyone ready...

Gorzevalus: You bloody imbeciles! The enemy is right there! Grab some men who look ready and send them out to meet them!

Associate: But sir...! We need more time to--

Gorzevalus: War doesn't wait for you to get good and ready, soldier! We either defend this base now, or we die trying! You got that?!

Associate: Sir, yes sir!

CGDGBhF.jpg

We could just make a beeline for the fort, but since I'm trying to maximize experience, I'll fight the garrison first.

Izerna checks out this house:

v7DIgi6.jpg

Elder: But now... I can't stand seeing it being used for warfare... Please, take back our precious home for us...

qLwsPHl.jpg

Thanks, old man :)

A nice thing about this mission is that attacking the palisades gives weapon skill. So, I have Christine do just that, as everyone advances.

E825Z7B.jpg

On turn 2, we get to see more chatter from the Imperial troops.

T84DjaY.jpg

Gorzevalues: Bedeviled fiends... Fine then! We'll have to use our new weapon! Mobilize the springalds!

B6LFUnR.jpg

Guard #1: We've only got a handful that are actually built and tested!

Guard #2: We've got no other choice!

Guard #1: But they're just not finished! And the ballisticians haven't been trained to use them properly yet! It's a completely different beast from regular ballistae. Totally new design with a different crank system and--

Guard #2: As long as it can shoot, I don't care! We'll find someone to do it! Hurry up and get them ready for deployment!

Guard #1: Understood... They should be able to handle about two shots, the way they are... Get the springalds ready!

yBILpsP.jpg

They're more accurate than your average ballista, so I'll be giving them a wide berth to begin with.

Elbert advances towards the eastern flank, and dodges an ambush by an archer hidden in the trees:

wgsDDaH.jpg

A second emerges from another clump of trees and lands his arrow on target.

fa2VGGZ.jpg

Elbert and Christine continue to skirmish with the archers, the latter injuring one. Sherlock and Larentia move in to support.

3I4wyiU.jpg

The foot units aren't in range yet, and on turn 3 Imperial soldiers begin emerging from their barracks, as soldiers group at the central barricade:

Sj7AinV.jpg

Elbert distracts one of the archers.

30FT6wV.jpg

Faye moves in to capture the soldier that Sherlock crippled last turn.

wt1Wp85.jpg

Aside from acquiring his bow and arrows, Faye receives a pretty decent level-up.

DfRigjp.jpg

Larentia, Christine, Volo and Aegina attack the palisade fence, punching a hole in it.

pZjYKn4.jpg

More Imperials join the fray next turn:

7gG2dMR.jpg

The spearmen at the front have the Doru, which in this close formation is providing noticeable accuracy and defence buffs.

6LlWtZI.jpg

Volo breaks a shortsword on his next attack.

jOma6Y6.jpg

Izerna catches up to provide healing for Christine.

lqKd8Qd.jpg

The latter takes out an archer:

zaz0tr5.jpg

Kramer joins in the fence mulching, and Elbert continues his role as the provoke bot.

IEzykwh.jpg

Even with double-shot, Sherlock is unable to eliminate one of the spearmen, who blocks with his shield on both hits.

C626jHB.jpg

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
Doru, which in this close formation is providing noticeable accuracy and defence buffs.

That's fitting the devs would add bonus to the spear when used in close formation, since it's the name of the spear used by the hoplites (also written dory)

Endemic

Arcane
That's fitting the devs would add bonus to the spear when used in close formation, since it's the name of the spear used by the hoplites (also written dory)

Not sure if I mentioned it back in update 97, but the Japanese name for it literally translates to "Phalanx", referencing the formation as well.

baud

Arcane
Patron

Not sure if I mentioned it back in update 97, but the Japanese name for it literally translates to "Phalanx", referencing the formation as well.

ah, I had forgotten we had already seen that weapon before

Endemic

Arcane
I do apologise for the lack of updates recently, RL got busy and then I was sidetracked translating Vestaria Saga II.

Update 165 will be up this weekend. :)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 165: Chapter 9-1 - The Supply Base (Part 2)

Percy's thunder magic puts down the closest spearman.

Gududo2.jpg

Only speed on this level-up.

HNyjnOG.jpg

On turn 5, we learn that additional ballistae are being prepared:

FfDiavC.jpg

HQHo1aq.jpg

Ballistician: I don't really give a damn what you think is impossible, soldier. Get it done in five!* What good will these weapons do if you can't get them ready until after the base is lost, huh?
*10 turns

Larentia blocks an arrow, which breaks her shield.

vHYQTev.jpg

The fighting at the base of the hill continues, Faye achieving a kill with the lady sword.

c9hVGvC.jpg

Larentia equips another shield and swoops in to attack, but without much success. Kramer fares better.

lXOt4aZ.jpg

Next turn, Elbert lures in a spearman that just emerged from the base barracks:

1dyWqvf.jpg

Percy finally gets another point in thunder skill on his next attack, while Sherlock's bow expires.

5YdPofo.jpg

Kramer notches up another kill, advancing to level 10.

zQrfy5F.jpg

Jur9ECr.jpg

A crit helps Faye one-shot another spearman.

wdMw4KE.jpg

The same occurs for Larentia.

1azUgju.jpg

Volo and Elbert set up another kill for Faye on the following turn:

2Sp0h3B.jpg

Additional soldiers continue to trickle forward from the base. Sherlock uses double-shot and one-two on the same turn to guarantee an elimination.

gHXd8dx.jpg

Elbert stays put this time to use provoke. Aegina takes a hit, so Izerna moves in to heal.

hzDDkSQ.jpg

That takes her to level 15.

ip2ylJQ.jpg

Since I want to thin out the enemy before advancing, Elbert continues the provoke bot tactic.

1dyWqvf.jpg

Christine's bow practice results in some more broken equipment.

CZr3plG.jpg

Sherlock fells the target.

upWI14f.jpg

Then gains a point of luck on his level-up (I guess since skill is already capped).

BarTFko.jpg

Faye's getting closer to level 10:

wBLHTy8.jpg

Larentia's sword gives out on the next attack.

4kKIwqz.jpg

Aegina falls just short of KO'ing an archer, so Kramer advances to deal with him.

v5wWURa.jpg

However she goes one better next turn.

9hnnhrc.jpg

More wind skill, which is welcome.

opwYUBO.jpg

The party trashes a barracks, finding a shield:

6QrfvcP.jpg

More soldiers continue to emerge, so Elbert distracts this axeman.

aoJhNKa.jpg

Sherlock goes on overwatch, halting said axeman's advance. The latter is soon dead.

4BmC5rS.jpg

Nice.

Myx4qf3.jpg

Kramer gets patched up after taking a sword hit earlier in the turn.

w06t0uz.jpg

Destroying the next building reveals a small stash of gold.

bFlHnSD.jpg

Sherlock's double-shot is thwarted by his composite bow breaking after the first shot:

cw3hFot.jpg

Aegina and Christine get more target practice on the palisade to the west; Faye crits again with the lady sword.

9CBDCOZ.jpg

Concentrated attacks swiftly wipe out another spearman.

XArO5uU.jpg

Sherlock is struck twice, thanks to missing a shot against a bowman.

SSjcxjI.jpg

Izerna immediately moves in to provide healing:

ViVqwS0.jpg

Seeing the base's defenses falter, Gorzevalus and his guards begin to move from their vantage point.

sMQ7aUz.jpg

Additional prototype ballistae join the battle.

5XKVFZX.jpg

Ballistician: That'll be plenty! All right... Prepare yourselves, you Berwick League dogs!

fTORpmK.jpg

They indeed only have two shots, but for now I'll use Elbert as bait. Gorzevalus is defiant as he personally enters the fray:

1f0xa7w.jpg

Sherlock is hit by some spear cavalry.

1pGlVfk.jpg

Fortunately, Izerna is still next to him, so healing is straightforward enough. Crossbowmen approach the skirmish, as the Imperials try to force us back.

IIaCa7Z.jpg

Elbert dodges a ballista bolt thanks to arrowbane, while Sherlock snipes an archer.

wlQO3m8.jpg

Gorzevalus and his cavalry take a chunk out of Elbert next turn:

JIgkNUG.jpg

The latter counterattacks, cutting one of them down.

gcY0pLe.jpg

Time to fall back and use a vulnerary.

cUJXb2B.jpg

Larentia takes out another spearman.

OUURV8t.jpg

I redirect units toward the central chokepoint.

LByiTVT.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Version 2.0 of the translation patch is in testing, mostly featuring text fixes. A few screenshots:

XLg3hHj.png

Accented letters have been corrected, such as in the food menu:

fFdGsCu.png

The description for Phantom Corps has been fixed:

7UysDRu.png

Endemic

Arcane
Well, seems I've been neglecting to update the LP. Here's a quick teaser for now while I finish up the next couple of posts:

KYuA01z.jpg

7wsyZLY.jpg

opBZ9I8.jpg

0hpy9il.jpg

3dIgT8n.jpg

99Bta06.jpg

jyjuSnM.jpg

PbdIqNA.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 166: Chapter 9-1 - The Supply Base (part 3)

The closest ballista takes a shot at Elbert, but misses.

F6IDqqM.jpg

Everyone else continues to shift westwards. Situation at the start of turn 17:

uIjgtcl.jpg

Elbert takes out his mithril sword, and cuts down the adjacent cavalry.

ctcmlPE.jpg

A few other cavalry units attack him, but he blocks most of the damage with his shield.

One of the experimental ballistae breaks after firing its next shot:

zud4iDO.jpg

Guard: It really couldn't take more than two shots, huh...? Hurry up and get it repaired!

Volo is in trouble...

1jdvcIa.jpg

Another broken ballista.

u6Xj9M0.jpg

There is still one left, however.

Im5HnCF.jpg

Over at the base of the hill, Kramer eliminates the crossbow threat:

EcM3bqo.jpg

Izerna moves in to heal.

e8R5k9u.jpg

Percy gets a skill point.

UgZPj6T.jpg

The troops out front are gradually whittled down.

kL3iOIn.jpg

fPUWwQj.jpg

Izerna switches to using physic:

R9P3sRs.jpg

Sherlock provides supporting fire, while Volo and Faye advance.

YfoDIUX.jpg

LKv0zqa.jpg

Next turn, Elbert uses a vulnerary and falls back, just in time to distract Gorzevalus.

vgvFwdP.jpg

Faye finally reaches level 10.

XsK2DTo.jpg

1A2LQea.jpg

Sherlock notches up another kill.

QnengX8.jpg

Close but no cigar for Percy this time, as Dire Thunder isn't quite enough:

iA0xTCu.jpg

Kramer borrows a rapier from Elbert, and cuts down Gorzevalus.

eHbIOBg.jpg

Christine takes a break from shooting at palisades to join the attack.

aGbPpL4.jpg

Destroying the barracks near the trees yields some loot.

MMRbEd1.jpg

Adept helps Volo take out this spearman:

bas8Y7p.jpg

Another crossbowman down.

nzhR2ew.jpg

With most of the Imperial soldiers gone, I take the opportunity to train using the palisades a bit more.

Next turn, the last ballista breaks.

lM3BNk6.jpg

Sherlock uses double-shot to quickly remove some spear cavalry.

VWyUi9j.jpg

Larentia swoops in, making this archer history:

VpP9r0h.jpg

On the following turn she injures another.

oDR2FZl.jpg

Kramer climbs up and kills the nearby axeman with a longsword.

6Zn5pu9.jpg

That nets him a level-up.

0p5C9er.jpg

Faye breaks her shortsword while practicing on the fences.

Gl7zCFg.jpg

Percival wipes out the armour knight with a crit:

QIsGUl5.jpg

Another shortsword gone.

mjs6fAm.jpg

Sherlock's arrow falls wide, allowing the enemy archer to strike in retaliation.

C5J7lhS.jpg

Christine gallops forward to take out the southeastern archer.

yppGjaG.jpg

Not a bad level-up.

yvo3EBM.jpg

Sherlock is struck again by the very same archer as last turn, but the latter won't be around for much longer.

Meanwhile, clearing another building nets us a horse:

ZiMTPLs.jpg

This time, Sherlock doesn't miss:

4V8uNm2.jpg

Destroying storehouses reveals some crafting materials.

VvJA6lF.jpg

waFpuR9.jpg

The next building yields a collector item.

1fPT0q0.jpg

More loot.

Sbm2vQX.jpg

The last Imperial soldier expires.

xzqvQEo.jpg

Sherlock's longbow breaks soon after.

ljQAXlA.jpg

The remainder of the barracks just yield a small amount of currency.

Christine is almost at the 20 bow skill she needs for promotion:

5HqpDTn.jpg

There's one more house to investigate before seizing the fort.

0SNKNFY.jpg

Lumberjack: I want to protect the forest, but I'm powerless to help... At the very least, take this with you to fight in my stead.

Z6JVfRj.jpg

It's not really accurate enough to use against enemy soldiers, so it's clearly intended for destroying the palisades quickly.

Mission complete.

uaI685x.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom