Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ostranauts - spaceship management sim set in NEO Scavenger universe - now available on Early Access

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/2876069352897635462
Ostranauts Patch v0.6.2.6 Available
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.6.2.6 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

We may finally have a fix for the crazy atmo pressures and temperatures, plus several other annoyances and potential game-corrupters.

Specifically:
  • Fixed a bug that caused game to crash if selected save file was not found due to saveinfo mismatch.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause crashes to occur on loading a save.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause crazy gas pressures and temperatures if low framerate mixed with high fast-forward.
  • Fixed a bug that caused humans to prefer breathing from canisters underfoot, instead of own suit or room.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause game to misbehave or crash if AI changed relationship status with null.
  • Fixed a bug that caused relationship participant names to be swapped in log updates.
  • Fixed a bug that caused EVA battery to lack PickupItem action.
  • Fixed a bug that caused EVA battery and O2 bottle to stop updating after loading a save file.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed names to be infinitely long, resulting in performance issues and crashes.
  • Changed save slot prefab to have smaller text size, to fit text better at lower resolutions.
  • Fixed bug that caused warning to get stuck on nav screen if maneuvering while clamped.

One of the big ones this patch is atmo bugs. Some players were still seeing weird atmo pressures and temps, and this may have been more common when low framerate combined with fast-forward. A few record-keeping tweaks should hopefully see the end of that issue!

AI was also trying to breathe out of canisters if players got too close, so that had to be guarded against. And the EVA had some bugs involving their batteries and O2 bottles.

Finally, there were a handful of less common bugs that, nevertheless, could cause strange game behavior or crashes which are now fixed.

As always, there's plenty more for us to fix, change, and add! And we'll be continuing in roughly that order. In the meantime, let us know if this patch helps you out, as well as if it reveals new problems!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/2876069352918202972
Ostranauts Patch v0.6.2.7 Available
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.6.2.7 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

Some significant changes to the timer system in this patch, aimed at reducing cases of sudden hypoxia and temperature/pressure spikes, plus other changes.

Specifically:
  • Fixed a bug that would cause hypoxia due to a timer sync loss.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause Nausea to loop endlessly.
  • Fixed a bug that caused room gases/temps to spike when door uninstalled.
  • Added ability to uninstall sinks.
  • Added button to randomize player name in character creation.
  • Added buttons to fine-tune player's facial features during character creation.
  • Fixed a bug that caused strange relationships if player renamed themselves after gaining contacts.
  • Fixed a bug that caused tooltip to appear in all control panels after using supply kiosk.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause errors if objective tried to stack on another objective and one of them had a null property.
  • Changed starting room temperature to be comfortable, instead of cold.

This patch includes a major change to the way sim timers update, to avoid cases like the sudden hypoxia that would appear on players. We'll be watching this patch closely, as such a major change is inherently risky. However, several hours of testing so far seems to show it working as intended.

There are also some fixes to nausea getting stuck on players, and gas stats spiking when uninstalling doors between rooms.

Character customization got a boost, with the ability to now randomize name, and fine-tune appearance. Plus, the sink can now be uninstalled!

And the usual attendant smaller fixes feature in this patch, too.

As always, there's plenty more for us to fix, change, and add! And we'll be continuing in roughly that order. In the meantime, let us know if this patch helps you out, as well as if it reveals new problems!

Best,
Daniel Fedor
Founder, Blue Bottle Games, LLC

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
CYOAs are weird in multi playthrough game. It's fun the first time you encounter one, but with consecutive gameplays they become reward farms. Look at Stellaris - despite having enormous amount of scripted events, after some time it's just skimming through answer buttons. Analogically, ATM even Ostranauts has this career event, when "Hack them" just yields ~3k credits every time and I don't even remember what was it about.

I think this does a good job of explaining my concerns with leaning too hard on CYOA in future game designs. NEO Scavenger's primary content delivery was via these. Some 150k+ words at last count. And it took a week or more to do each encounter which was, at a guess, 5 minutes of player time to consume each.

I suppose if my games were meant to be played once and dropped, this might be okay. But if the CYOA becomes a wall of text you click to dismiss and get stuff from, I can probably spend time on more rewarding system development. (And, crucially, still make those systems deliver interesting lore or content.)

I can't wait for Neo Scavenger II

It'll be a while, but I do plan on making it!

As for "how does this future event sim system work under the hood?" We'll have to see! A lot will depend on what things I can leverage from existing systems.

But with what's there now, I could already see the game deciding "now would be a good time for some tension, as it's been a while since the player had anything challenging happen." It'd then look through some bag of tricks, and try to find something that fits the player's game.

Did the player piss off a manager on K-Leg in their career history? Let's spawn a headhunter in a ship, loosely tracking the player across the System. If they catch the player, it becomes a negotiation (social combat) or an actual fight.

Did they skip town without paying port fees on Tharsis Landing? Better not try landing there again, or they'll impound your ship. Cargo and all. Time to pay up, sweet-talk an official, or maybe even break/hack into the impound?

Likewise, did the player just get mauled by an overzealous local authority ship? Maybe the game decides "now is a good time for an olive branch." Search the player for an ex-lover with good relations, and they just happen to be in the neighborhood (i.e. spawned nearby) for a lift?

Like I say, this is mostly conjecture until these systems are fully running. But if I can pull it off, this is how I picture it working.

agris

Arcane
Patron
dcfedor sounds a lot like an AI DM. That kind of divine intervention is well rooted in the tabletop world.

Inspectah

Savant
The more I look, the more this game seems to bem able to Scratch that itch that I have with space Sims that put cool twists on a tired formula. Games like objects in space and such, whitch may be jank as fuck but Still escapes the confines of the freelance/space ranger archetypes of space Sims we get nowadays

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
dcfedor sounds a lot like an AI DM. That kind of divine intervention is well rooted in the tabletop world.

The more I look, the more this game seems to bem able to Scratch that itch that I have with space Sims that put cool twists on a tired formula. Games like objects in space and such, whitch may be jank as fuck but Still escapes the confines of the freelance/space ranger archetypes of space Sims we get nowadays

These are exactly the kinds of words I hoped people would be saying about Ostranauts.

Still have quite a ways to go before we get there, but if anyone playing feels like it's going in these directions, I am happy!

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope Ostranauts end up better supported than Objects in Space. That game had so much potential, but was extremely buggy and then just got abandoned by the devs :(
dcfedor, I believe in your vision and integrity as a dev!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/5286622419384262519
Ostranauts Patch 0.6.3.0 Is Available
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.6.3.0 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

A lot of fixes to the jobs/tasks system this time, to make them resume better after abandoning or saving/loading. Also, ship resupply at K-Leg!
Specifically:
  • Added code to re-task placeholders if they are abandoned during install.
  • Added code to restore unclaimed tasks on loading save file.
  • Added code to restore placeholders on loading save file.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented bulk jobs from working on certain object types. (E.g. repair Ryokka walls)
  • Added vessel resupply services kiosk to OKLG.
  • Added periodic restocking of supply kiosks.
  • Changed wall and floor scrap and damage loot to include more small parts.
  • Changed repairing walls and floors to require fewer small parts.
  • Added crates and small parts to supply kiosk.
  • Fixed a bug that would crash game if NPCs were lacking relationship data.
  • Fixed a bug that caused AI to choose different item to install than the one player chose. (E.g. install wrong battery)
  • Changed nav station to allow maneuvering while docked to a non-station, but still warn user.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to pilot OKLG after installing a nav station there.
  • Fixed a bug in GUITrade which showed debug item names.
  • Fixed a bug in GUITrade which showed money spent at supply kiosk as income.
  • Added code to lower current UI if something else cancels the interaction that raised it. (E.g. power outage, kiosk restock)
  • Fixed bug that caused comforting music to be played when undocking with a derelict.
  • Added price to batteries.

The big change here is the job system, which should now survive abandoning mid-task as well as saving and loading. You should be able to safely "paint" jobs like install and repair around the ship and have them survive until canceled or completed.

OKLG now has a refueling kiosk, as well, which lets you top-up your ship's reactants (if applicable), gas canisters, and batteries. The supply kiosk also restocks at midnight now, so you can get hard-to-find items again later if they go out of stock.

And speaking of hard-to-find items, small mechanical parts should be less of a pain now. Fewer are required to repair walls and floors, they are more likely to drop, and you can buy them in bulk at the supply kiosks.

There are several other, less-exciting fixes, too. But they should all add up to a smoother experience.

One thing I'm watching closely is pathfinding. Now that tasks work better, I'm noticing more pathfinding issues. Particularly if there are a lot of holes or damaged floors near the target. This will require more fixing, but in the meantime, you can usually nudge the AI into a nearby tile to get it back on track.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://bluebottlegames.com/content/remember-vote-ostranauts-features

Remember to Vote! (for Ostranauts Features)

Your voice matters! Voting season is upon us, and the best way to see the changes you want most is to make your voice heard.

That goes for Ostranauts, as well!

With the current game features finally in a place where we can play longer sessions, folks are turning their attention to what's next. And while we have some ideas of where we could go next, we thought it would be a good idea to see what our spaceship captains thought.

That's why in today's patch, there is a very special new feature: Feature Voting!

Starting with today's build, and for the next two weeks, you'll find a voting kiosk in the game's starting area. And for players already finished with character generation, there's also a PDA button labeled "Vote" on the screen's left side.

Using either option will open this UI:

ed9dc2fce7c93c85883ccc8bd825e98f716e074e.png

where you can preview each of the features we are considering next by rolling over them. When you've decided on which one appeals to you most, simply click it, and your vote will be logged!

Vote as many times as you like, and we'll simply count the last vote you cast.

Voting will remain open for two weeks, and we'll send a reminder around before we close the polling to catch anyone who missed it.

So get on out there and vote! Make the world a better place!

And while you're at it, vote on an Ostranauts feature, too :)

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Very cool, wish more devs did this. A lot of people gripe about early access as though it's entirely unidirectional, as if all you're doing is paying for an "inferior" version of the product to provide QA; while there's a kernel of truth to that, it's not as if most game in EA could ever afford proper QA otherwise (and some people, strange as it is, really enjoy doing that kinda thing). Even in the case of fancy stuff like Hades/Supergiant, they'd never reach the same level of polish on a professional QA department alone.

But aside from that, and the somewhat discounted price EA games tend to sell for, I think if more devs offered players more input in development like this it would give a lot of naysayers an incentive that they can live with. (We all know how deeply principled G*mers are, after all.)

Anyway, great idea dcfedor :)

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Thanks for the encouragement! And glad to hear the voting idea is appreciated.

Honestly, I think NEO Scavenger turned out a much better game as a result of the feedback during EA. Day/night cycle improvements, the combat and medical overhaul, save games, even the fact that it can now be played on desktop instead of in a browser...all that (and more!) was because it got into players' hands before I put a bow on it.

The fact is, when you develop a game, it's rare you have a vision that "just works" on first try. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you have a team that can push through and get it there with hard work.

And then you have me, some dude in his basement with a vague idea what he wants, and a lot of room for improvement in getting there :)

Skdursh

Savant
Is this game less shit yet? Haven't been paying attention at all since the lackluster release, but holding out hope that updates are turning this into incline because I loved Neo Scavenger.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://bluebottlegames.com/content/ostranauts-december-2020-dev-update

Ostranauts December 2020 Dev Update

Hey Folks!

Been a while since we did a video, so I've got one of those to share today!

In it, I chat about how far we've come since September, the huge turnaround in review score, and some of the stuff we're working on now. Plus, I discuss a few of the things we have coming up soon, including AI improvements, in-game manuals, new product designs, and even new concept art!

Hope you enjoy the video. And since this is likely the last video of the year, hope you enjoy the holidays, as well!

We have a busy 2021 ahead, and lots of fun planned :)

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/5363189319891360493
Ostranauts Patch 0.6.4.0 Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.6.4.0 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly. This, despite the fact that it's the Friday before vacation, which is usually a terrible idea :)

(And on that note, the previous version, 0.6.3.9, will be on standby as the opt-in "public_test" beta should we need it.)

This patch makes quite a few changes to socializing and the inventory UI, as well as several other fixes and tweaks.
Specifically:
  • Changed social status text to show recent trend direction.
  • Changed log messages to show recent trend direction, where applicable.
  • Changed socializing UI to only show NPC statuses and traits that we revealed through interactions with them.
  • Added a Debug button to social UI to toggle showing all NPC traits vs. revealed ones.
  • Changed social action previews to show more info.
  • Changed social UI action buttons to have optional text describing traits that led to that option.
  • Added scrollbar to social actions.
  • Added code to swap inventory items on cursor if dropping an item on top of something that cannot stack.
  • Added code to quick transfer inventory items with shift click.
  • Added code to require fewer clicks to drag inventory items into new spaces.
  • Added code to automatically open a container's grid in inventory when first equipped.
  • Fixed a bug that caused significant hitching/lagging when doing certain job types like repairs on a large ship.
  • Fixed a bug that caused humans' body heating effects to be ignored after awhile.
  • Fixed debug teleport so it works on other selected crew.
  • Fixed bug that would leave items stranded at root if save file had different stack limits than current build.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause game to hang or crash when loading a ship with errors in contained item data.
  • Changed fatigue cost of prying and bashing to be higher.
  • Changed pricing on drinks to be more differentiated in supply kiosk.
  • Changed trash stacking limit to 3 so it spreads out more.
  • Fixed bug in Give Up response that required opposite personality types from what they should be.
  • Changed Back Away Slowly to have greater intimacy penalty, and smaller privacy reward.
  • Added banter about Breakout match as possible reply to banter about Breakout match.
  • Fixed bug that caused dark rectangle under chin in dark skin portraits.
  • Removed unused price info on installed switches and battery.
  • Changed trenchers food to have eat as first context option.

The social system had a pretty significant overhaul this patch. We now start knowing very little about our conversation partner, and have to slowly reveal their status and traits via social moves. We can now also see how our status has recently changed in both the status UI and message log.

Furthermore, the social actions list now shows which traits and abilities unlocked each move, if applicable. And the preview text tells us more complete info on how the move is likely to affect both us and them.

Similarly, the inventory UI had quite a few quality of life features added. These include auto-swapping items if you drop on a different item type, shift-click to quick transfer between containers, and click-and-drag to start dragging, with releasing the mouse dropping or equipping the item.

There are likely gaps in the above UX changes, or tweaks needed, so we'll be looking for feedback on what works and doesn't.

One small fix with potentially big implications: body temperature would previously stop working after a while, so you might see yourself stuck sweating or shivering. Now, this should work with one caveat: it probably won't fix stuck sweating/shivering on old saves. So as you're working away, you'll have to manage both fatigue and heat, on top of breathing, sleep, and nutrition.

A number of bug fixes and optimizations also went into this patch, to hopefully further make running the game smoother.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Recording of the Blue Bottle Games dev team building a ship live on Steam using the features in the latest big update. We took suggestions and questions from the chat. We haven't done a stream like this before, so go easy on us!

The rest of the team: Corey Waite (Writer), Chris (Designer and Programmer) and Charis Reid (Community Manager)

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
So... some time has passed since the release. Is the game worth playing or should one wait?

Hellraiser

Arcane
So... some time has passed since the release. Is the game worth playing or should one wait?

The patch notes did not yet give me the impression that there is more to do than fix up a ship (although supposedly the UI is better and the bugs are fixed). EA is supposed to last 2 years. Bare minimum for me to start playing again is having interplanetary travel and something else besides "legitimate salvage" to do. Ok, maybe "legitimate salvage" after airlocking the former owners would also be good enough.

Anyway introduction of combat which is listed as "likely" for both ship-to-ship and good old brawls/firefights (hopefully with boarding in both roles as target and boarder) is what I think one should wait the most for. I mean imagine barely surviving a scrape, needing to patch up a decompressing ship and then limp back to port. The game has potential, just needs combat to be implemented and some other game mechanics to make use of the modular ship simulation. At the moment is is a very barebones experience, despite the great ship simulation part.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3096762857495952109
How are players dying in Ostranauts?
The very first Captain Death Report
If you've ever played Ostranauts, you've died before in Ostranauts.
but you're not alone in that!

Using the latest world building technologies, here at Blue Bottle Games we've been able to get a hold of a OKLG Labor Bureau report... well, that's the lore version ;)

We use a Unity tool called DeltaDNA when we take your votes in game on what you want to see in Ostranauts next. Thanks to that tool, we also have some data on how you play Ostranauts (eg. how long did the player survive? what ship were they flying?)

We're using this to bring you the
Captain Death Report
- See how you stack up next to other players trying to survive and check out weird ways other captains have met their fatal deaths...

Shout out to the lone person who managed to be killed by an NPC, hope your week gets better!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/5437509496113603200
Ostranauts Patch 0.6.5.4 Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.6.5.4 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

We have a new task list in this patch, moved some UI stuff into a new animated PDA slide-out. Some nav station and inventory fixes. And beards!
cea16ad7a263925a6cf7eac980d70d5f603630f8.png

• Changed PDA to slide out into UI to show build menu and other orders.
  • Added task list to PDA, to show current status of all tasks.
  • Added code to center camera on task target if task clicked in task list.
  • Added custom construction icons to differentiate each task type.
  • Changed objectives list to be part of PDA.
  • Added beards to game.
  • Added objectives for low pressure alarms.
  • Added objectives for proximity alarms.
  • Changed nav station and docking UI to report ranges with collision radius in mind.
  • Added contestants' full names to game so there's a chance they'll be used for PCs and NPCs.

30853f662c2747b1366e56ad5f761393180fa43e.png

• Fixed missing inventory grid tab names.
  • Fixed a bug that causes inventory grid sprite to be oriented wrong if item rotated, slotted, and then placed back in grid.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause missing face sprite to be unchangeable in mirror UI.
  • Fixed a bug that caused invalid scar image on some faces.
  • Fixed a bug that caused control panel left and right bumpers to break if a control panel had both left and right neighbors defined.
  • Fixed a bug that caused name change in mirror to not have an effect on log messages.

The PDA got a makeover this build, and it now hosts several of the build and other menus that previously just floated in the air. Objectives will now appear in the corner, and animate up to the PDA button so newer users are alerted to them.

The PDA now also has a new feature: task list! In it, you can see all currently assigned tasks, and their status. Plus, each task category has its own icon on the map view, to help differentiate.

Chiko's beards are officially in! Now all of us folks with facial hair can accurately model ourselves (or at least, to a degree). Also, contestants who submitted names for the game should start seeing those names appear randomly from time-to-time.

The nav station's range reporting should be more useful now, as it reports distance to collision rather than distance to center of target.

Two new objectives were added, as well. One for low pressure sensors, and one for proximity alarm. Now, when you hear those mysterious klaxons, you can have a bit more info on why :)

And finally, no patch would be complete without a handful of fixes to smaller issues.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom