Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Switch RPGs?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Recently got a switch for playing Mario and stuff and I was wondering if there are any worthwhile RPGs for the system.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Skene’s Gland

Literate
Atom RPG Russian Fallout worship is on teh Switch.

Genesis Collection featuring Phantasy Star, Shining in the Darkness, Fatal Labyrinth ( a noice rogue-like) is on teh Switch.

Moero Chronicles (hentai wizardry), is on teh Switch.

Xenoblade is on teh Switch.

Commandos 2 is on teh Switch.

Diablo 3 ah Torchlight 2 are on teh Switch.

Every goddamn Final Fantasy including 12 is on teh Switch.

Bioware shite liek Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment and Neverwinter Nights are on teh Switch.

Wasteland 2 and gay Outerworlds are on teh Switch.

Scarlet and Romancing Saga gaems are on teh Switch.

A bunch of faggoty NIS rpgs liek Labyrinth of Refrain and Disgaea are on teh Switch.

Ys games and Fire Emblem are on teh Switch.

Fell Seal ( Final Fantasy Tactics worship) is on teh Switch.

All in all not a bad rpg game system.

Last edited:

Ialda

Learned

Agreed about Paper Mario, it's surprisingly endearing, and even clever at times.
Luigi Mansion 3 was maybe a little less good than Dark Moon.

I see you are mentioning Chocobo Dungeon : Shiren The Wanderer The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate should release soon for the Switch too IIRC ?

Super Robot Taisen T can provide some good challenge if you go for expert mode / all SR points / all secrets but otherwise it's easy as pie, yes.

cruel

Cipher
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Trails of Cold Steel 3
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Those 3 games made me more happy than anything that came from the West in the last few years.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If you're into action RPGs, I was shocked at how well Diablo 3 ran on the tablet. It runs and plays very well. I got the speartip of the endgame, btw, with an almost entirely maxed out Monk. So my screen was usually filled with blowing everything up in a matter of seconds. No real slowdown. Main slowdown is if you're in multiplayer and everyone else is Necromancer and running around with a ton of adds. The Switch does run its fan real hard while playing though.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tactical turn-based party combat = Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Old school RPG = Romancing Saga 2 & 3, Dragon Quest XI. Poor man's version: Octopath Traveler.

Paper Mario is charming but there is absolute zero challenge of any sort, so keep in mind.

Switch works best, I think, with roguelites & similar, though: Slay the Spire, Hades, Into the Breach in particular, and if you're looking for something not easily available elsewhere, Shiren of all things is being ported in soon from the dead.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some subjective recommendations:

Must Play:
Dragon Quest I, II and III. Part of JRPG history and the ports are all solid. Easier but still good.
Dragon Quest XI.
You probably already have an opinion of Final Fantasy. I like all except 2 and 8.
Fell Seal. Very good FFT clone.
Fire Emblem 3 Houses. The second best new Fire Emblem game after awakening. Even better in some parts.
Moon Remix RPG - Think Undertale but it has no combat and is actually clever. More adventure than rpg but its cult in Japan for a reason.
Romancing Saga (all). The sister series to FF is much more innovative and interesting
Crosscode. Very charming action rpg/Zelda hybrid.

Good if you like the style:
Star Ocean first departure R - cool action rpg, extremely easy
Labyrinth of Refrain Coven of Dusk - good Wizardry style game with some really fun dungeon exploration mechanics
Ni No Kuni - Gameplaywise a medium pokemon clone, but cutscenes made by Studio Ghibli are stunningly beautifull and the entire game is charming.
Mystery Dungeon. If you like one you like all, pick the series you like the most. I like Pokemon and FF since they mesh well with the gameplay style.
Valkyria Chronicles. Anime Worldwar with an odd turn system that is very easy to break.
Phantasy Star 1. Best game of the series.
Alliance Alive. Good Romancing Saga style game but incredibly easy.

I wasnt amazed by those but maybe they suit your tastes:
Sword and Shield Pokemon. Not as bad as Sun and Moon I guess.
Octopath. Okay for a nostalgia grab when the rest doesn't suit your tastes.

Also for WRPGs Legends of Amberland is codexermade and a pretty good blobber lite.

Good rpg system all around. There are a dozen other good wrpgs for the system, but I wouldn't play them on a console. WRPGs are optimised for KB + M atleast the good ones.

HansDampf

Arcane
Crosscode. Very charming action rpg/Zelda hybrid.

CrossCode is great. But play it on PC if you can. The devs had huge problems adapting the engine for consoles, and I've read it runs like garbage at times. PC version is flawless.

Yet again the lack of love for Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2 calls into question the :obviously:nature of the Codex. They are probably the best console JRPGs ever put on a Nintendo system. If you hate the JRPG style, you will hate XBC. If you love JRPGs, I dont know how you could not love XBC.

If I had to recommend one, get the first one. Its far more complete and a better game. I personally like XBC2 better, but I'm a degenerate pervert.

Tigranes

Arcane
The Switch isn't necessarily a JRPG platform with a plethora of high quality JRPGs. It has bits and pieces from all over the place, from old/rare-ish ports like Langrisser (!!!) to mainstream JRPGs like Dragon Quest.

Yet to try any XBCs, looks grindy and with crap animu style, but who knows, sometimes it can still be a great game underneath. What makes it great?

cruel

Cipher
Yet to try any XBCs, looks grindy and with crap animu style, but who knows, sometimes it can still be a great game underneath. What makes it great?

Excellent music, likable / authentic characters, fun combat system, good plot with twists and turns, very unique environment design, lots of freedom, big monster variety, nice customization in combat (who are you using, which skills, etc. - multiplied by equipment gems). Also, no need to grind (if you play normally, explore and don't rush only the main plot).

One of those games when you can feel the heart and soul poured into. And I'm speaking about the first Xenoblade, didn't play the second yet.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Surprisingly enough you can get Baldur's Gate and BG 2 on Switch as well as Planscape Torment and Icewind Dale (as bundles). I got Baldur's gate and don't recommend CRPGs on that platform because I find them annoying to control. As for JRPGs the only ones I have played on Switch are Ring Fit Adventure (highly recommended) and Pokemon Shield (meh. Not horrible but too easy). I don't even use the thing for games TBH just Ring Fit

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The World Ends With You Final Remix is pretty freaking good. HD graphics are breathtaking , music is all banger and the story has themes that still relevant nowdays. DS version is the best for most people , but honestly i think switch version is just as good.

Honestly I would still classify Ring Fit as an RPG. Well worth it if you can actually get your hands one one of the ring cons. Really charming game, actually motivates you to work out and eat well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom